Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 11:33:03 AM   
joshuamnave

Can I ask why people are repeatedly suggesting strangers install software on their computers that will allow other strangers access to their computers, and justifying that as an acceptable substitute for a multi player mode?

I will not not not not ever under any circumstances use teamviewer. Doing so is just begging to have your privacy violated. I will not not not not ever suggest someone else install software that gives me access to their computer, and I am immediately suspicious of anyone that suggests that to me.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 31
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 12:12:10 PM   
Extraneous

You probably don't have to install anything. Most versions of Windows have a net op feature built in to it.

Have you had the opportunity to talk to a computer customer service person? They will probably ask you to respond yes to a message box to allow them to access your machine.

Don't believe me? Talk to your local computer tech.

Thank you for calling UPS-SCS Global help desk.
How may I assist you?

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 6/9/2015 1:14:39 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 32
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 5:16:55 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Concretely this, that was written by Paulderynck, I don't know even what it means, it would sound good unless it's complicated...

quote:

. I'm in a game using Teamviewer running on an Amazon EC2 occurrence so no ones personal PC is getting controlled.

see http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

If that doesn't allow you to see how we are doing it, then it is too complicated.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/9/2015 6:32:39 PM >

Paul

Post #: 33
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/9/2015 5:43:50 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Can I ask why people are repeatedly suggesting strangers install software on their computers that will allow other strangers access to their computers, and justifying that as an acceptable substitute for a multi player mode?

I will not not not not ever under any circumstances use teamviewer. Doing so is just begging to have your privacy violated. I will not not not not ever suggest someone else install software that gives me access to their computer, and I am immediately suspicious of anyone that suggests that to me.

I agree totally. Especially since I've got company software on my machine too. I can't have anyone messing around with it, except for me, myself and I.

However, there are people who might have an old machine available and use that one instead, with no risk to their privacy...

Peter

Post #: 34
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/10/2015 3:13:08 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I agree totally. Especially since I've got company software on my machine too. I can't have anyone messing around with it, except for me, myself and I.

However, there are people who might have an old machine available and use that one instead, with no risk to their privacy...

Yes that is another possibility that was mentioned. I am under the impression that the majority of the readers of these threads are in a position where they can exercise freedom of choice.

I want to play the game and I am willing and able to do so, warts and all. Another choice is to not play and just complain about the warts.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 35
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/10/2015 3:41:52 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

In Barbarossa, however, always that the time is not good for anything else, as a URSS player I always try to sink or abort the GE convoys. t seems I will not be able to.

Barbarossa is 5 turns long. Not likely you'll be doing this in MJ or JA. What damage to German production are you expecting to do that would have any impact on the outcome?

Paul

Post #: 36
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/10/2015 5:39:25 AM   
juntoalmar

Well, you have the option to do it if you want to, which is important. TeamViewer or GoogleTalk can be acceptable for other people, too.

For instance:

- I am playing with a good friend I trust. TeamViewer is as risky as hotseat mode. It's up to you to use it with people you trust, or not use it. Yes, I would play hotseat with my friend too, even if he could smash my computer into pieces with a bat while I am not looking.
- Create an user just to play MWiF. If you OS is safe, the opponent will not be able to do anything outside that user. The same if you use a virtual machine with the MWiF into it.
- If you still have concerns about it, then use GoogleTalk, and just share the screen (but no mouse or keyboard action available)
- If this still no good for you, then don't use it.

I just share what works for me, as it may work for other people too. I think that maybe some of the people who are waiting for NetPlay to work, would play through TeamViewer or GoogleTalk, but they may not know how to. I was one of them before, actually.

(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/

Post #: 37
RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? - 6/12/2015 11:49:53 AM   
Lingering Frey

Thank you for the comments.

If I am understanding the dialogue (which seems to be part of a broader conversation) correctly, Netplay still doesn't work.

The comments that the land-combat tutorial scenario from the board game, Barbarossa, is mostly playable also gives me a feel for where things are in relation to getting Netplay working for the game.

Again, thank you for the update.

(in reply to juntoalmar)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Is non-solo play fixed yet? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI