Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I don't like this, it doesn't work

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2016 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2015 - The Home of Wargamers >> I don't like this, it doesn't work Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/12/2015 3:02:03 PM   
Daniele

Imagine catching a flight to a distant city you've never been to. You leave in a rush, no time to read a proper travel guide. Don't know the language either. Don't know the local rules: this trip is going to be a nightmare, for sure.

The airport is your first test. And most airports are pretty good at showing the right information, making good use of symbols, guiding customers through the right paths and making them feel like they are doing the right thing and it's not as hard as they thought just before landing.

We try to make our site, the shopping experience, the forums, the product pages and every part of our digital Home of Wargamers as easy as possible to understand, for newcomers, passing passengers, experts and frequent travelers alike. But we know that there may be flaws and we would love to listen to your comments to help us improve your experience.

What is it that you think should change? Is there anything you don't like or things you would have done in a different way? Make your voice heard, this is your chance to craft the ever changing Home of Wargamers. Next stop, the future! Prior to #HoW15!

Post #: 1
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/12/2015 4:12:13 PM   
zakblood

i don't like the fact that some wargames get lost into the depths while others of the same age seem to last forever with hardly any interest on activity, apart from that, moan and comments over..

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/12/2015 7:36:13 PM   
HeinzHarald

Well the menu systems are certainly very weird to me.

* The menu split between the grey and the white menu bars doesn't make much sense, at least not on some of the pages.
* Having both store, products and catalog makes even less sense to me. And it also seems weird to have both community and forums.
* The menu bars change in weird ways. When going from the home page to forums newsletter moves from the white bar to the grey bar, catalog and beta-test disappear from the grey bar, and site map appears in the grey bar.

* The forum menu bar is also a bit weird in that I can't see if I'm logged in, I need to look further down for that information.

* The slight differences between the store product view and the products product view is a bit confusing. And it's made worse by not letting me navigate to news, downloads etc for games from the store product view.

I don't mind the basic layout of most pages, but the menu structure and presentation could use a big upgrade for sure.

Oh and having a single, permanent login menu for the entire site including forums would be nice of course, though I fully understand if that's hard to achieve.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/12/2015 9:12:21 PM   
miker42

Number one in my book is the site should look good and be easy to use across a wide range of mobile devices. I do web development professionally and that is number one on my radar when I build new sites.

(in reply to HeinzHarald)
Post #: 4
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/13/2015 2:34:20 AM   
Crimguy

Agree with Miker42. Usability across multiple platforms is upmost importance to me.

(in reply to miker42)
Post #: 5
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/13/2015 11:41:57 AM   
terry1040

Ideally you finally find a way to merge the different forums of Ageod, Slitherine and Matrix into one. Also something has to be done about the search function. That drives me nuts each time I use it. Generally the information provided in the forums is extremely valueable. It would be great if I could subscribe to certain key words that would trigger my interest. Sometimes I like to download complete threads for my offline reading. Unfortunately the printable version does not support graphics. Now that is of course the key to read AARs. The forum software is ok'ish, but a bit outdated by moderns standards. However I do like its clarity above some of the more modern alternatives.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 6
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/13/2015 2:43:14 PM   
Grizzly

I would like to see a possibility to filter the games for complexity on the products page.

(in reply to terry1040)
Post #: 7
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/13/2015 3:44:15 PM   
zakblood

complexity seems to be a matter of opinion, with some here thinking rocket science is the level that we all are at, while others think chess is for beginners, and 400 odd page manuals is a light read and if you can't manage to keep all 400 odd pages in your head at once you should be either shot or be playing drafts maybe

(in reply to Grizzly)
Post #: 8
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/13/2015 7:34:31 PM   
kagee

My number one is a complaint. Allow in game text to be LARGER. I can't tell you how us aging gamers using modern laptops with resolutions hovering around 1080P or greater have a hard time enjoying a game at times. Some good examples are all the Ageod games I have. To date it's a collection because I can't read their in game text. Allow a menu option to increase the text sizing.

Don't allow games to be sold without a manual I don't care how easy you think they are. Tutorials either written and/or playable should also be a must. Really. So many games are good but they'd be great in my book if they had tutorials.

Other than that just, more games that are easier to learn, but still are challenging covering the gambit of subjects your current catalog covers would be nice. Not a lot more but I do like my BA+DLC's, PC+DLC's and Order of Battle: Pacific. More like these are refreshing when I don't have to dedicate more time than I currently have to learn (but would still love to play)

More ports like the above just mentioned, onto tablets. Someone lead a charge of games like these onto the Android! Please already. The iPad has this conquered!

Anyway, you asked. Despite it all, I still love ya Matrix/Slitherine. Your number one in my books!

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 9
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/14/2015 7:12:09 PM   
Marvin Pontiac

Don't know if anybody suggested this already but I'm not going to read every other post:

What I think would be cool is if your game launchers were more like (dare I say it) steam and you could launch/update any matrix/slitherine game from the same launcher. You should also be automatically logged into the forums and be able to go to the forum for the game you are playing with just a single click etc. Your games are more 'forum intensive' (if I may be so bold) than most games on steam. I mean for every game I bought of you guys I have had plenty of need to ask questions on the forums. Would be really cool if this was a lot easier directly from every game with a steam-like overlay.

(in reply to kagee)
Post #: 10
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/21/2015 2:48:40 PM   
EndlessWaves

Today was the first game I bought from the Matrix store (although not my first attempt, see post history) and I'd point out the following things as weak points.

1. Lack of information about the sale. I first noticed the sale in the site news about four days in. It didn't say when it would end and the price of the game I was interested in was £28. Then a couple of days later the news post was modified to say it'd end of the 21st. Then when I checked today the game had silently been dropped to £21 and the newspost was unmodified.

In short, there needs to be clear information about what's on sale and how long it's on sale for. I would prefer a specific end time for the sale rather than just a date. Also, it would be good to make it clear when you are going to be discounting specific games further during the sale rather than doing it silently.

2. After the discussion around my aborted attempt last time about how the redownload system works I'm willing to give it a go but I do feel you need to be much clearer and more up front about how the system works. The front page of the store still baldy states that download links are only available for thirty days with nothing to imply that you're not on your own after that as you were with most other stores that did that.

3. The wording on the post-purchase page is confusing:

quote:

You will receive one email confirmation for each product purchased along with a copy of your receipt. You can click HERE to open a copy of the order confirmation emails that we sent to <email>. These emails will contain the information and links that you will need to activate your software.

To get your order confirmation emails, which contain your product download links: CLICK HERE.

If the emails do not appear in your in-box in the next few minutes, please check your junk or spam folders.

The second paragraph seems to imply you need to click that link to have the confirmation e-mails sent but it seems to be just a duplicate of the link in the first paragraph to retrieve them through the website. Having investigated the links and re-read it a few times that second paragraph appears to be an entire redundant and confusing re-stating of information in the first paragraph.

The 'HERE' in the first paragraph is also highlighted in red and generally claims to be the most important link on that page. At this only appears to be an backup method for retrieving a receipt and won't generally be required it seems an odd choice of formatting.

quote:

My number one is a complaint. Allow in game text to be LARGER. I can't tell you how us aging gamers using modern laptops with resolutions hovering around 1080P or greater have a hard time enjoying a game at times.

I don't know why laptop makers are obsession with 1920x1080 screens rather than resolutions more suited to computer use (especially at smaller screen sizes). With the upcoming shift to high DPI screens though, developers do need to be implementing adjustable size interfaces as it'll soon affect people across the board. I'll be replacing my 96dpi desktop monitor with something around 160dpi in the next couple of years, the first models are already available for a few hundred and prices will only drop.

(in reply to Marvin Pontiac)
Post #: 11
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 6/24/2015 9:33:04 AM   
conan

I think it's time to think seriously about tutorials. Or even more, a full campaign that would drive us through the game mechanics.

Think about a game like starcraft. Not a wargame, but the example will work.

The first time you play starcraft you have no idea about how to play. There is an overwhelming number of options, decisions about building structures and units. Multiply all this options by the
three races you can choose. My point is that starcraft is not an easy game to start playing, nor it is to master. Yet it is widely played and is one of the most popular RTS games.

Well, we are not going to talk about the money they spend in advertising. Focus on how thousands of people end learning and playing such a complex game.

The first time you play starcraft, you will probably start playing the campaign. The first missions are very easy, you just can use a bunch of soldiers and build a couple of structures. The rest are forbidden.
Then the missions become more and more difficult, they let you build more unit types and buildings, and the teach you what they are for. Each mission you learn something new, and in each mission you have
to use the lessons of previous ones.

They goal of the game is that you end playing multiplayer games in internet, but they know that they have to teach you first, otherwise no one would play their game.

The crux of the campaign in a game like starcraft is just to teach the player how to play the game, and let the player enjoy while he is learning.

I think in the case of wargames it should be the same. I picture myself playing a deep and complex wargame where in the first missions only some units are allowed, not supply, not weather, not terrain...
And then step by step, those mechanics would turn on, little by little, while the game puts me in situations where they are important. Cleverly designed missions where I have to use what I just have learned.

I like groghead and complex games. But I know that instead of playing, first I will have to study the manual and dive into the forums.
And that keeps me out from some awesome games. Would be great if I could learn to play those games playing them instead of studying them.

What do you think?

(in reply to EndlessWaves)
Post #: 12
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 5/11/2020 9:39:19 AM   
puka

Your article is very useful, the content is great, I have read a lot of articles, but for your article, it left me a deep impression, thank you for sharing.

(in reply to conan)
Post #: 13
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 5/11/2020 3:53:52 PM   
zakblood

sometimes spam, just smells like spam

(in reply to puka)
Post #: 14
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 11/7/2020 6:58:02 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

sometimes spam, just smells like spam

Sometimes? Sometimes? Try always instead.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 2/17/2021 11:02:58 PM   
T Rav

I've never had a problem with the store.

I'd say search on the forums isn't easy. There is so much content out there provided by all the great folks that are dedicated to one game or another.

I'm a War in the Pacific and Command guy (among other games of yours.) Folks like Alfred with WITP are invaluable to enjoying the games. But they keep have to answer the same questions. A good search would help, and keep them from getting from getting burned out.

That said, my bang for the buck with Matrix is outstanding. Pennies per hour for what I get out of it.

Thank you for asking, well done.
T Rav

(in reply to marinad777)
Post #: 16
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 3/20/2021 9:33:05 PM   
burbigo

I've never had any issues with the store neither

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 17
RE: I don't like this, it doesn't work - 5/27/2021 2:41:56 PM   
Gus_Durham

I think the main thing is the site should look good and be easy to use across a wide range of mobile devices.

< Message edited by Gus_Durham -- 5/27/2021 3:20:33 PM >

(in reply to burbigo)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2016 - The Home of Wargamers >> Slitherine/Matrix Press Event 2015 - The Home of Wargamers >> I don't like this, it doesn't work Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI