Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AE PDF Manual Revision

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/11/2014 2:49:08 PM   
blueatoll

I did the .pdf conversion this weekend in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI. The conversion to a .docx was extremely good keeping everything including the background color. Alfred has the doc now and we'll see where this goes.

(in reply to Skyros)
Post #: 61
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/12/2014 7:45:25 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I think it is great task and noble endeavor!

I did the same for the WitE ("Gary Grigsby War in the East") - it took me weeks.

What i did is to use the original text and pictures that went into official manual (Joel provided that for me) and then I transferred everything to "US Letter" sized document (text and pictures). I then formatted the manual, made the TOC and the fully "jumpable" references (i.e. when something is mentioned in the manual with the reference you can jump to that reference if you wish - that took me most time since it had to be done manually)!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 62
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/12/2014 7:54:16 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: blueatoll

I did the .pdf conversion this weekend in Adobe Acrobat Pro XI. The conversion to a .docx was extremely good keeping everything including the background color. Alfred has the doc now and we'll see where this goes.

Can you get the original files that went into production for WitP-AE?

Did you, perhaps, ask Joel for help?

For WitE (and now WitW) the manual is first prepared as text (WinWord) with all references and with placeholders for pictures - pictures are prepared in full resolution (i.e. intact) in addition. Then Matrix creates the PDF (including the background) with that text and pictures.

So - the best thing to obtain is that preparatory text and all accompanying pictures in original!

The WitP and WitP-AE had to have exactly the same process.

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 63
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/12/2014 2:20:18 PM   
blueatoll

Hi Leo,

The nice thing about Word since they went to a .docx format is that the files are xHTML based. Acrobat Pro XI finally does a good conversion from pdf to Word because of that. If we can get the originals, that's always better but this was a pretty clean conversion when I proofed it for errors. I certainly think this is a sufficient working copy but Alfred is doing the labor so he might want something different.

I wouldn't recommend trying to modify old screenshots, it's better to do new ones.

Mike 'Blue Atoll'

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 64
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/13/2014 3:11:29 AM   
offenseman

Huge and ambitious project.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to blueatoll)
Post #: 65
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/13/2014 7:48:40 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

Huge and ambitious project.

Aye.

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 66
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/18/2014 10:44:39 AM   
Alfred

A reminder that the 20th is fast approaching.

Alfred

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 67
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/18/2014 12:42:34 PM   
PaxMondo

AC Bombloads selection criteria, using bit mask to indicate mission profile.

All of the DanB clarifications through the years, like cruise/mission speed, ground attack sequence, ...

The added fields for DP guns, allowing primary and secondary values to be set independently.

Updated locations for disbanding ships

Updated list of national capitals

Clarify the definitions of static and restricted // temp and permanent for HQ's. One of the dev's did that long time back with examples.

integrate the addendums that were written about pilot pools etc with one of the updates into the overall manual.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 9/18/2014 1:44:42 PM >

Pax

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 68
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 9/18/2014 5:48:33 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

Alfred, I edit technical documents as part of my university job and will be glad to provide you editing once you get parts of the manual ready to be read by an outsider. Feel free to PM me.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 69
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 11/13/2014 5:57:08 AM   
Yaab

So how is the work going on the manual?

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 70
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/20/2014 5:20:16 PM   
durnedwolf

What I want for Christmas...

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 71
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/20/2014 5:43:50 PM   
Yaab

Fingers crossed.

(in reply to durnedwolf)
Post #: 72
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/21/2014 2:01:18 PM   
ckk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Fingers crossed.

+1

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 73
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/21/2014 9:30:01 PM   
Tejszd

quote:

Alfred

Thanks Alfred!!!

As someone who just purchased the game because of the Christmas sale an updated manual that matches the changes in the patches along with any additional fixes, hints and topics would help greatly....

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 12/25/2014 7:50:19 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 74
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/22/2014 1:01:37 AM   
Delaware

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

quote:

Alfred

Thanks Alfred!!!

As someone who juts purchased the game because of the Christmas sale an updated manual that matches the changes in the patches along with any additional fixes, hints and topics would help greatly....

What he said..... Please!!!

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 75
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/23/2014 2:03:10 AM   
zuluhour

Please to keep new and improved manual out of enemy hands.

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 76
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/30/2014 11:54:46 PM   
Bamilus

Any updates on this? Id donate $20, easily, if it would help this awesome project move along

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 77
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/31/2014 12:08:22 AM   
rustysi

Patience, fellow forumites, patience. It'll be ready when its ready, and not a minute sooner.

Seriously, this is a major undertaking and I'm sure its not all Alfred has to do. Especially when he has to step in here and straighten my dumb a** out.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 78
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 12/31/2014 2:26:21 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Patience, fellow forumites, patience. It'll be ready when its ready, and not a minute sooner.

Seriously, this is a major undertaking and I'm sure its not all Alfred has to do. Especially when he has to step in here and straighten my dumb a** out.

I have patience was just wondering if there was an update, that's all. Don't expect this anytime soon but want to keep it on my radar!

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 79
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 2/13/2015 3:14:07 PM   
Yaab

Any news?

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 80
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 6:15:23 AM   
Yaab

Is it dead?

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 81
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 6:50:17 AM   
Rainsong94

Maybe a kickstarter would help Alfred or somebody else? I'm willing to put in $30.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 82
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 8:15:59 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: FightinJoe94
Maybe a kickstarter would help Alfred or somebody else? I'm willing to put in $30.

That’s not really what it takes. It isn’t money. People, in this Title, contribute without regard to dollars.

People contribute in terms of interest. You want it, and you go after it long and hard, and you just might get it. But a new manual is simply a passing fancy. Everybody wants it, but nobody wants to work for it. Those that do (Alfred, etc..) are ignored when they work on it, and urinated on when they don’t have a suitable product in a suitable time frame.

That’s pretty much the way it is. Certain people, like warspite1, make smarmy comments about this that highlight their immaturity. But the situation is what it is. You guys don’t want to contribute. You all want someone else (like Alfred) to do it for you: but God help the poor puke if he makes an error, or does something that a JFB or AFB finds offensive.

There’s people that spend weeks, months, breaking the game and think the manual should reflect their efforts. You all know exactly why you won’t get a new Manual.

Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Rainsong94)
Post #: 83
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 9:22:41 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: FightinJoe94

That’s not really what it takes. It isn’t money. People, in this Title, contribute without regard to dollars.

People contribute in terms of interest. You want it, and you go after it long and hard, and you just might get it. But a new manual is simply a passing fancy. Everybody wants it, but nobody wants to work for it. Those that do (Alfred, etc..) are ignored when they work on it, and urinated on when they don’t have a suitable product in a suitable time frame.

That’s pretty much the way it is. Certain people, like warspite1, make smarmy comments about this that highlight their immaturity. But the situation is what it is. You guys don’t want to contribute. You all want someone else (like Alfred) to do it for you: but God help the poor puke if he makes an error, or does something that a JFB or AFB finds offensive.

There’s people that spend weeks, months, breaking the game and think the manual should reflect their efforts. You all know exactly why you won’t get a new Manual.

Ciao. JWE

warspite1

Symon I have no idea why you act the way you do. You are clearly a very knowledgeable individual in many areas – not just war and war games – and of course your contribution to this game speaks for itself. But sadly, you are allowed to get away with things (without sanction) that others would not – even assuming they wanted to act in such manner.

You ruin or sour so many threads; you seem to delight in being rude, insensitive, bullying and just generally downright unpleasant.
You preach about the Good Lord and Righteousness and yet in about 90% of your posts it is unlikely that you could be any less Christian in your treatment of others if you tried.

If you think I am being unfair let me just give you a few examples, the purpose of which are to try and make you reflect on your behaviour. I hope you will take this on board.

1. Take the Japanese Unearth Remains thread. I wrote a post disagreeing with someone who suggested Allied war crimes were every bit as commonplace and as brutal as those of the Axis powers. You then responded in with:

quote:

“You little kids have absolutely no clue. Wonderful progressive trans nazional political after-thoughts, after we spent our blood liberating Europe. And you pathetic little weasels want to whine about atrocities.

Next time, I guaran. friffin.tee, we will Not be there and you will have to stew in your own damn juices, and to hell with you.

Yeah, welcome to the new caliphate and prepare your daughters as whores for the the jihadists”

BUT there was a problem (apart from the fact that the above post is, itself, outside of Forum rules) i.e. in responding you made it look like I had posted the original comment by posting my name against the statement someone else made.

I pointed out that you were not just quoting me out of context – you actually attributed to me, a position the very opposite of what I believe. Your response? Well having accused me of writing something I hadn’t, instead of apologising for the mistake you simply abused me further…..

quote:

“I been there warspite1 and done that. I fought for your pathetic ass when I didn't have to. Only reason you idiots exist is because we are here. You hate it: tough sh*t;

Ciao JWE”

Why would you behave in that way when a simple apology would have closed the matter?

2. Then there was the If the Japanese did not build Super-Battleships thread. A poster, DeltaV112 made some suggestions in a perfectly polite, non-controversial manner about his thoughts and opinions. For his trouble he got this obnoxious bullying response from you:

quote:

“You seem to be a simple wargame weenie talking about simple wargame weenie things. The detail in this forum is beyond simple wargame weenie nonsense. Almost all of your statements are wrong. You obviously know nothing about real ship design or real armament dispositions

You are clearly a troll with nothing to add to the discussion. Your statements on ship design/performance parameters are laughable. My SNAME (Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers) number is 37613. What’s your’s?

[ed] If you want to play on these threads, then you need to learn. If you don't want to learn, then go play on the main board, or go somewhere else”.

Please re-read this. Is that righteous? Is that Christian? No, it’s disgusting, bullying behaviour – and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

3. Recent thread about France in WWII. A sensitive subject came up – the attack on Mers-el-Kebir. Posters with opposing views on the attack were able to post in a grown-up, measured fashion – recognising how contentious the subject matter is. And then you choose to wade in with:

quote:

“After Mers-al Kebir, I wouldn't trust a Brit to piss in a round pot. Don't give a rats how many crocodile tears Churchill wept”.

Yeah – real mature, real grown-up response there. And you called me immature……

4. Thread during the World Cup 2014. Cannonfodder made a perfectly reasonable remark to the effect that Luis Suarez was an idiot (for the biting incident) in the Quarter-Final. There had been no unpleasantness leading up to it or any contention with the comment. Your response – completely out of the blue?

quote:

“Yeah, and you are obviously someone who we should listen to.

Kiss my grits. JWE”.

Where did that come from? You appear unhinged when you come up with stuff like this. And yet it is tolerated…..

5. Then the pilot leader ratings thread, in which you advocate shooting people that you don’t like to improve the gene pool.

quote:

“Wonder why it is that whenever a developer responds to a question all the little cockroaches run for cover and the thread is curiously silent thereafter. And then come out in a few weeks/months and repeat their silly pronunciamento, as though nothing ever happened.

Apparently, the forum is not interested in 'what is', just in how they might want it to be, and that differs for every individual.

It's obviously a useless exercise, because they are fat, smelly, 12 year olds, that can't learn unless someone gets their attention. So apart from just shooting them (a general improvement to the gene pool) it might be best to ignore them”.

Christian? No.
Warranted? No
Offensive? Oh yes
Against forum rules? Yes indeed
Childish? Damn right.

Oh and by the way, I didn’t mention the following quite bizarre post. This was made remember after you insulted Leandros and no doubt someone had a quiet word in your ear. I mention it now because – I remind you - in the post above you suggested that I was immature…..

quote:

“I must apologize to Mr Leander. My grandchildren often post under my login. They are teens and full of beans. They think it's harmless but it isn't. I have taken steps to insure they can no longer pretend to be JWE. Sorry for the flurry of nonsense. John”

You post in your usual, obnoxious style to insult someone – and we are supposed to believe your grandchildren made the posts. THAT is not immature behaviour Symon, no, THAT is just plain sad.

Anyway, you claim you are Christian. I hope you will read the above and realise that your behaviour is totally unacceptable and will seek to change.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/13/2015 10:33:42 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 84
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 9:43:17 PM   
Alfred

The project is not dead.

And no, it is most definitely not a question of needing a financial kick start.

I have decided that the revision should be up to the standard of the last official patch.  Currently I am still finishing a game which has not yet, and will not be, updated to the latest official patch.  On current progress I anticipate I will finish my current game in about 4 weeks.  Then I will update.

In the interim some of you may have noticed that I have made several detailed and expansive posts on game mechanics. These can be viewed as scoping studies, in part because I haven't decided whether they should appear as new appendices or alternatively just provide hyper links in the revised PDF manual back to these forum posts.  It does strike me as being somewhat odd that people consistently raise issues on the forum without first having searching to see if I have posted on the subject.  Of course it is always better to have a dev comment on an issue and thankfully both wdolson and Symon often still do.  But in their absence one should not dismiss what I post.  It is disquieting to consistently see that any Tom and Dick's forum comments based on seat of the pants research is preferred to my research.

An example of the "scoping studies" I have been doing is that for most of the last week I have been drafting a 101 guide on river crossings.  This was prompted by a recent thread on river crossings which put up two older threads on the subject and which were contradictory and contained several quite erroneous answers.  Interesting that the OP did not link back to a thread where I gave the correct answer.  As I said above, somewhat disquieting.  Nonetheless I have drafted the 101 guide but in a departure from my previous practice, this one will be very visual.  The current longhand draft (yes I draft in longhand before I approach the computer for my 101 guides, and then do computer drafts) has 16 diagrams.  I think I have covered all the relevant elements, I just now have to attempt to draw them in Paint and insert them into a Word document.  As I do other things, I don't spend 16 hours a day 7 days a week on AE matters, it probably will be the end of this week at the earliest before the river crossing guide is posted.

The last thing I will say about the manual revision project is that from where I sit there is a very strong argument to just start from scratch and write up a new document rather than altering the existing manual.  Yes that would entail a much greater timeframe but it would allow, in theory, for more up to date screen shot captures.  This is another issue I will fully turn my mind to when I update to the latest official patch and can see the screen changes made by michaelm.  I bet that most of you had not taken that aspect into account.

Alfred

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 85
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 9:45:39 PM   
Symon

Wow. The little 12 year olds are out on the hard in their motorscooters. Woof !!

I think you all can see, now, just why it isn't going to happen.

Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 86
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 9:45:53 PM   
DD696

Well said, Sir Warspite1.

JWE had been allowed to spew out his vile comments for ages now.

He does have some good knowledge and had contributed to the game a great deal, but his viperous personality always strikes out and shames only himself. At least, the powers-that-be did crack down on his Euro-Nazi tirades in the past and his use of other log-in names, and we can thank them for that - but he never changes, and he will go on and on with his childish, mindless insults.

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 87
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 10:04:30 PM   
AW1Steve

Let's cut the crap! NOW! Don't make me stop this car , separate you , or call a moderator! EVERYBODY CHILLOUT , TAKE FIVE AND GO TO YOUR ROOMS!!!! There is ONE unforgivable sin on the forum. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS! What part of that statement don't you "gentlemen" understand?

(in reply to DD696)
Post #: 88
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 10:10:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Let's cut the crap! NOW! Don't make me stop this car , separate you , or call a moderator! EVERYBODY CHILLOUT , TAKE FIVE AND GO TO YOUR ROOMS!!!! There is ONE unforgivable sin on the forum. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS! What part of that statement don't you "gentlemen" understand?
warspite1

Correct. So why is JWE/Symon/Osterhaut[?] or whatever he's calling himself at the moment able to get away with this CONSTANTLY?

That last post of his calling me immature was not the worst and ordinarily would not even register - but was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. You defend that behaviour (see my earlier post) all you want by making out I am no better than him - that's up to you. But I've had enough of it.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 89
RE: AE PDF Manual Revision - 6/13/2015 10:12:27 PM   
DD696

That is quite a strange comment to make from someone who has said that I should be playing "Chutes and Ladders" rather than this game. I did take that to be a rather personal attack, wouldn't you?

USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: AE PDF Manual Revision Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI