Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Loss of the family dog

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Loss of the family dog Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:12:18 PM   
sventhebold

I had to put down my dog yesterday. I feel so empty inside like I just lost my best friend. I only say this to you guys/gals as you are my link to sanity and goodwill. I don't know what to do.
I cant seem to add a picture as they are all saved as jpegs and it says they are too big.

< Message edited by sventhebold -- 6/18/2015 4:55:46 PM >

ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
Post #: 1
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:16:18 PM   
Lecivius

You did loose a best friend. Schanilec and I both put ours down this month. We both decided to get another. Sorta fills the hole you have.

(in reply to sventhebold)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:22:58 PM   
Schanilec

Yes on the 6th. I had another bad day yesterday. Takes time to heal. Hang in there buddy.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:24:04 PM   
oaltinyay

put my cat down once. Pasa had cancer and he was in pain. we were together for 9 years.

2 months later a kitten of 2-3 months max walked to our garden. He was so small he couldnt climb stairs. Now they watch My Little Pony with my daughter together ( mostly pasa 2.0 looks at her while my daughter looks at tv )

it's the way things are .... we'll walk to the light one day too.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:27:23 PM   
DanSez

Very sorry to hear that. Take a little time and another wet-nosed wanderer will come along. But none can replace the good dog that is gone. That is sad but a good thing in that you keep each life as a little individual memory.

I've got 3 little rescues, all are over 8 yrs old now, and I tell them they are good dogs and that Dad Loves Them every day.

< Message edited by DanSez -- 6/18/2015 4:28:20 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:28:38 PM   
Itdepends

Remember them from the good times and do not feel guilty for freeing them from their pain. Hardest thing i did was hold and comfort my dog will the vet administered the injection.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:32:31 PM   
dr.hal

Non dog owners simply wouldn't understand.... It's a really bad day for you... but in time, as indicated above, the good times you had will come to the fore and replace most, not all, but most of the pain. Sorry for your loss. Hal

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 7
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 3:45:45 PM   
HansBolter

I've devoted my life to caring for indigent and injured stray cats.
I have raised and cared for and laid to rest well over 25 of my furry little friends over the course of the last 40 years.
They have served as surrogate children for a man who never raised a family.
Each and every time I have had to lay one to rest it has wrenched and twisted my heart.
It NEVER gets any easier no matter how many times you go through it.

My heart goes out to you and your loved ones for the loss you have suffered.

Only time can heal the wound.

Hans

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 4:21:37 PM   
RogerJNeilson

This time last week was returning from the vets having had to make the same choice over one of our cats. We have had plenty over 40 years, this was the first time I had to agree to her being euthanised. No matter how much you 'know' its the right thing its not an easy thing to do.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 4:54:54 PM   
KenchiSulla

It is normal to hurt because you lost a loved one (animal or human)... The only thing I can say is: it will get better....

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 10
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 5:05:34 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: sventhebold
I had to put down my dog yesterday. I feel so empty inside like I just lost my best friend. I only say this to you guys/gals as you are my link to sanity and goodwill. I don't know what to do.

When I lost Abby, I didn't know what to do either, Sven. I was heartbroken, lost my best friend in the world; I cried and shouted my pain and anguish at the world and was a demolished piece of toast. My savior was ESRA (English Springer Rescue) who took me in hand and said 'we have a dog for you' he's in Birmingham, he has special needs, he's at Rachael's, we told her you are coming, go get him.

They say you must get back on the bicycle. I believe this. Please consider a rescue: all the strong emotions of your pain, emtiness, and anguish, you can use and channel to bring a rescue dog back into the world. You will be rewarded with unconditional love. They may not be your "Abby", but they will stand on a pedistal of their own, and one that's just as high.

Ciao. JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 11
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 5:23:33 PM   
crsutton

My wife is a dog trainer and we now have three dogs of our own. We are retriever nuts but like all breeds. When you have multiple pets you deal with losing one every few years. It just does not get easier. But as we have discovered the best way to ease the pain is to get another one quick.

What can I say, they keep me laughing. That is all I can ask of a companion...

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 12
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 5:43:27 PM   
witpqs

We had two cats. One is now just shy of 18, and the other died almost 12 years ago at 17 1/2. I had him since he was two, and he was 10 when I got married. My wife absolutely adored him. I think I was just part of the package! Eventually he came down with diabetes and for years we gave him insulin injections which he hated but needed. Later he developed chronic renal failure and we had to give him fluid from an IV setup to help his kidneys flush out his system. A big 'ol 18 gauge needle going through the skin on the back of his shoulders and then a bunch of what must have felt like freezing cold fluid dripping into him (not into his veins, just below the skin). And you think he hated the insulin injections!

When the end was near I was on a business trip for most of a week. He had gotten so bad my wife was giving him total care, he couldn't even stand in the litter box. Not that he was eating. When I got home I saw that she had set up a special 'bed' for him on the floor, sort of a little ICU where she had everything there and was taking care of him. He was lying on his side with his head on a little makeshift 'pillow' she had made from folding up a little blanket. He was absolutely flat, like no muscle tone at all. When he heard me he lifted his head and looked over at me. Having been together for so long you learn to understand each other far better. He let out a sort of pleading-complaining-reproaching wail that I took to mean "I'm so sick - where have you been?!!"

He died in my arms less than two hours later, with both of us holding him. My wife was inconsolable, having not yet accepted that he would die.

Go ahead and grieve. Remember that your friend doesn't want you to be miserable, but to go on. Just as you would for your little friend if the situation were reversed.

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 13
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 6:24:45 PM   
Schanilec

Great pic of the Golden's CR. We have had Labradors for 44 years. First two American/Canadian champions in North Dakota back in the mid-70's. I've had a Lab in my home for 17 years. My new puppy will born sometime in August. And be here some time in September/October.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 6:47:43 PM   
Panther Bait

When I had to put my first down, it was the first time I had cried like that since I was probably 12 years old. It does get better, but it's never easy. Nor is it supposed to be.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 15
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 6:49:43 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

It does get better, but it's never easy. Nor is it supposed to be.

Mike

+1

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 16
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 6:51:32 PM   
m10bob

We "pet" owners all rely so much on our "best friends", knowing the odds are we will long outlive them...and knowing how much it will hurt when we lose them are willing to take the risks and responsibilities anyway, for all the wonderful times we have while we are still together..

We "pet" owners also are more appreciative of other humans who value these human/"pet" bonds, and share an equal contempt for those who do not share our compassion for those wonderful creatures God put into our lives.

We all share your pain...............

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 17
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 6:58:58 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

We "pet" owners all rely so much on our "best friends", knowing the odds are we will long outlive them...and knowing how much it will hurt when we lose them are willing to take the risks and responsibilities anyway, for all the wonderful times we have while we are still together..

We "pet" owners also are more appreciative of other humans who value these human/"pet" bonds, and share an equal contempt for those who do not share our compassion for those wonderful creatures God put into our lives.

We all share your pain...............

I hate to nuance a word. But to me pets are for decorative and display reasons such as fish. I consider what have as our companions. They sit and sleep with us, they walk and ride with us, we play together and we share together, love and feel sorrow together. They are our best friends.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 18
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 7:35:14 PM   
Lecivius

Seriously, get a new friend. Take Johns advice, look for a Rescue. I tried that first, and failed (Denver has a love affair with pets). So I went & got a new "Little Buddy". I still miss all 3 of my friends. But life does go on.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 19
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 7:40:17 PM   
Schanilec

What is he, 9 weeks old? I see him at 85 to 90 pounds full grown.

< Message edited by Schanilec -- 6/18/2015 8:40:35 PM >

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 20
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 7:42:57 PM   
Schanilec

I hate to ask, but when did you lose your best freind. I think we were days apart. Rascal was the 6th of June.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 21
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 7:44:09 PM   
Lecivius

This was when he was 5 weeks He's staying with his litter until the 27th, but I still do the hour drive a few times a week, just to get him accustomed to me and minimize shock.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 22
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 7:49:34 PM   
Schanilec

A little interesting side note behind my boys.

Boomer (Yellow Labrador) or Shamrock Acre's Super Boomer II:
Born 24 December 1997
Passed 12 September 2004
Arrived here from Wisconsin 19 February 1998
Came back home from his first show circuit 6 June 1999
Rascal or Boomer's Richochete Rascal, Black Labrador (Boomer's son), his mother Dabbler (Jake's Dakota Dabbler) a chocolate.
Born 15 June 2004
Came home 9 August 2004
Passed 6 June 2015

Anyone see a pattern?

< Message edited by Schanilec -- 6/18/2015 8:55:15 PM >

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 23
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:02:09 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

This was when he was 5 weeks He's staying with his litter until the 27th, but I still do the hour drive a few times a week, just to get him accustomed to me and minimize shock.

Good lord, he is going to be a bruiser. Of course puppy prrof the house. But in this case. puppy proof the block and inform the neighbors. Boomer was 122 lbs. Thus I called him Dogzilla or Labradorus Rex. But the most gentle Labrador I have ever seen. He had run of the neighborhood. Fence and railroad ties along the fence could not hold him. I have helped design a few correctional facilities. I alway said "Bring Boomer in after completion and see if it works".

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 24
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:04:22 PM   
Schanilec

Mine is coming from Shamrock Arce's in Waunakee Wisconsin, just a few miles North of Madison. Flying him in as we have done with all our Labs from there. They adapt very well right away which is nice.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 25
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:20:10 PM   
Trugrit

Sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss. It hurts. I’m an animal lover as well.

When I was 6 years old I had a beautiful black and white Collie.
She meant the world to me.
A neighbor man shot her dead because she was crossing his pasture.
I think he was just trying out his rifle. Just for fun.
I was told that trash collectors buried her somewhere along a nearby stream bed.
I searched but could never find her grave. I was never able to say goodbye.

I’m required to forgive him but somehow I’ve never been able to even after 55 years.

Special animals come into our lives sometimes and they change us forever.

I’ve never owned another dog.
I have two cats now.

Post #: 26
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:24:34 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I was told that trash collectors buried her somewhere along a nearby stream bed.

I’m required to forgive him but somehow I’ve never been able to even after 55 years.

I have two cats now.

I can't even talk of how my old friend passed. It defies imagination, same as you. But I feel your pain. Every day.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 27
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:37:52 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I have two cats now.

Now tragic. Mine that I just let go was born out of tragedy. A guy in town was getting ready for work when his Yellow male got out. running along the coulee and canterous of man shot him with a .22. Chance (the yellow Lab) made it home. He saw that the dog was badly hurt and off to the vet. That is when X-rays revealed a gunshot wound. The bullet was against the spine and Chance had to be put down. The local paper made a front page story the next day, with picture of Chance along with the X-rays. About a week later I recieved a call at the office asking about my yellow (Boomer). My first thought was oh God what has he done now. But it was Joe. He had asked a buddy of his from high school whose family raised Labrador at the same time we did. Also American/Canadian chanpions. He asked Jim "Is there any good looking Labradors in the area?" Jim raised his finger "There is only one. Schanilec's Labrador. Thus the phone call at work and Boomer sired a litter. Joe asked me about stub fees. I said no out of this I couldn't because of what happened and for the his family. It would have been $1,000. The next is pick of the litter. Again I declined. Boomer was a handful in himself. He persisted. Again I declined. But then Boomer was diagnosed with bone cancer. He asked again and I accepted. Thus Rascal.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 28
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:40:59 PM   
Schanilec

I'm sorry. As I was making my last post I got a call from the clinic. Rascal's ashes are ready. Yes, I am breaking down right now and crying like a baby. I'll pick them up tomorrow. I can't right now. Sorry.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 29
RE: OT Loss of the family dog - 6/18/2015 8:48:00 PM   
geofflambert

Is the Moon a moon or a companion? I say companion. We're living on a double planet.

I've had 5 cats. All but one were allowed outside (because of age). His name was Fooey. Unfortunately I had to return him to the Humane Society because he was using my dirty laundry basket as his litter box. That was sad because he was extremely playful. Never have seen one so playful, but that was intolerable. Three of the others were also Humane Society cats. The first I named Bozo and he chose me. He was in a cage with two other cats that appeared to be siblings (of each other, not Bozo) and they were fighting. Bozo had both front paws out of the bars trying to grab me. It was like "please get me out of here". The jail break was successful. He wasn't too bright but that was ok. I lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of strays. He would try and make friends and when they would hiss and display and all that he didn't understand. He didn't hiss back or run away, he just found them to be unuseful. His first friend (though it started out pretty rough) was Meemo who was a grey tiger kitten (Bozo was a mostly white cat with black spots that looked clownlike, hence the name). Meemo was very aggressive at first but came to love Bozo. I was living in an apartment building which was shaped like the letter H. In the backyard part of the H fallen leaves would sometimes be carried up in the air in mini-cyclones that the H shape generated. Bozo would leap up into the air and try and catch those leaves. Meemo (that's short for something but I can't remember what at the moment, Mimonides or something) broke a foreleg once, maybe got hit by a car, and while wearing a cast caught a cicada and brought it in. He wanted to play with it but when he tried to use the casted foreleg to bat it around it instead came down on the cicada and went splat. He was very disappointed. Bozo died suddenly while outside of unknown reasons (there were no marks on him or anything) and Meemo died with a witness. No sign of distress of any kind before, just went into seizures and died. Then there was Shebee another grey tiger. Nothing remarkable comes to mind about her. Finally there is Erasmus Tazz. They named it Tazz and I added Erasmus (or Rassma- for short)I didn't get him from the pound, some friends wanted to be rid of him because he liked to pee on any paper left on the floor. It was either me or a death sentence. I got him to use the litter boxes for the most part but more recently he's reverted to paper. He's about 12. He's not going anywhere. I've just laid newspapers with plastic underneath where he likes to go and he uses them. For those of you who hate the NY Times, that's mostly what it is. I'm referring to a certain forumite who sometimes signs as "John". If he's made it this far I'll be surprised, not a cat person I think.

A philosophy prof I know once had a cat named "Lovable". This cat was smarter (from what I hear) than a lot of people I know. The professor would put him and another cat he had, "Spool", in the basement before bed each night. Lovable would promptly begin manipulating the doorknob til it opened. He would then go up to the top floor bedroom of another friend, an assistant to the professor who was living in his house at the time and wake him up. This guy would open his window so the cat could go out on the roof of the house and spend the night there. The routine never changed. Spool would follow Lovable out of the basement but wasn't interested in being on the roof.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Loss of the family dog Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI