Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thoughts on 1.64

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Thoughts on 1.64 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thoughts on 1.64 - 5/27/2015 4:32:22 AM   
operating

Here's a stat I have not seen in a year to a year and a half for entrenching (pillbox) 12. Funny how the game has come full circle from when it first was released.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 5/27/2015 11:31:26 AM   
operating

Kirk, if you are reading this: Where did your screenshot TUTORIAL go that was in the top forum subsection (I think)? One of the members wants to know how to do ss. I searched back quite aways but could not find it...

Thanks, Bob

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 2
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 5/27/2015 11:39:51 AM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

Kirk, if you are reading this: Where did your screenshot TUTORIAL go that was in the top forum subsection (I think)? One of the members wants to know how to do ss. I searched back quite aways but could not find it...

Thanks, Bob

The thread you are looking for is here.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3558344

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 3
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 5/31/2015 10:07:59 AM   
stockwellpete

I have just finished my first full solo game for perhaps a year or so now. The game played very well and appears stable - and there are a lot of new features to add to the overall interest. I played as Central Powers on the middle level of difficulty and I achieved an ultimate victory by late 1918 (the USA did not enter the war).

Initially I was held by both the French and the Serbs, but I made more progress against the Russians and eventually encircled and destroyed their army in Poland. I then destroyed their fleet as well. The Italians joined the war in 1915 so the western front was fairly well deadlocked, but I continued to make progress against the Russians and finally forced them out of the war in the spring of 1916 after capturing Moscow. The Turks were able to hold the Russians in the Caucasus and once the Russians had surrendered they were able to move units to Palestine. The next breakthrough was against the French in late 1916 and the Germans took Verdun then broke through completely and took Paris. By early 1917 the French surrendered, then the Italians did as well after losing Milan. The Romanians surrendered when facing total encirclement shortly afterwards and the Portuguese capitulated without firing a shot! The war continued against the British who were all alone now - but once Germany began a massive naval building programme they too surrendered in the autumn of 1918 (the Turks, with German assistance, were pushing them back in Palestine too).

I think this was a very plausible alternate history. There were just a few oddities. Both the Russian Revolution special events appeared on the screen even though the Russians had surrendered; an incomplete Goeben warship message appeared when I moved that unit and a fully complete message appeared about two turns later; the Italians appeared to be mass producing artillery but never got any of it into action (perhaps there needs to be limits on how many units a nation can have at any time?).

Overall, very good though - and I shall try again next week on the hardest level.

< Message edited by stockwellpete -- 5/31/2015 11:11:55 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 4
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/1/2015 3:10:21 AM   
operating

Kirk

Is there an icon that can be put into the unit information window that would indicate that a unit has a Hood or Gas Mask? Other than a combat prognosis attack by an artillery unit, there is no way to know for certain what a unit's capabilities are. Any thoughts on this?

Bob

Unit information screen:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 6/1/2015 4:13:46 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 5
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/1/2015 3:11:49 AM   
operating

quote:

Kirk

Is there an icon that can be put into the unit information window that would indicate that a unit has a Hood or Gas Mask? Other than a combat prognosis attack by an artillery unit, there is no way to know for certain what a unit's capabilities are. Any thoughts on this?

Bob
Unit information screen:

Regular view:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 6/1/2015 4:13:11 AM >

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 6
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/3/2015 4:20:17 PM   
operating

This is an old map problem with the 1915, 1916 and 1917 scenarios: CP convoys cannot exit Norway because what should be a "sea hex" is now "land hex" as shown in the below screenshot. It's not a problem in the 1914 and 1918 scenarios, for that same hex (where the curser rests) is a "sea hex" in those scenarios, allowing supply convoys to pass through. It's really something that should be cleaned up.....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 7
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/3/2015 8:23:56 PM   
kirk23

The problem was caused because I put a port on the map at Trondheim, which the Convoy can't pass if Norway is neutral, this problem has been solved for any future patches.

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 8
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/3/2015 9:50:37 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk23

The problem was caused because I put a port on the map at Trondheim, which the Convoy can't pass if Norway is neutral, this problem has been solved for any future patches.

The port is at the same location in the 1914 scenario, it's the hex above the port anchor that is the problem in later scenarios.. If that is what you mean?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 9
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/5/2015 12:32:45 AM   
operating

Finally we are back to where we started December 2012: Concrete dugouts bring entrenchments to level 16. It's about time, plus it defines an obvious in field improvement from upgraded techs. Take note: Level 16 entrenchment does not happen during the course of one turn. IT takes a unit (that has not moved from a grassland hex) up to about 5 turns to reach the top level entrenchment.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 10
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/6/2015 2:30:58 PM   
operating

Kirk

I'm having a little trouble with CP sinking Entente convoys. I can only safely sink 3.9 convoys without America going on the March to War, for the entire game, plus it get's a little hard to keep track of how many convoy points have been sunk to avoid the thresh-old of 400 losses (of course I could write down # of
losses). After sinking 400 losses America goes to a 25 turn march to war, if I sink more, the 25 quickly goes down to 15 or less. Considering the number of convoys the Entente have during the course of the game (50 to 60 that's a guess-equaling 5000 to 6000 PP + additional MP), sinking only 4 convoys sounds kind of cheap for the snafu it causes compared to the overall # of convoys.
quote:

-- USA relationship drops several times when a certain number of convoys have been killed
function ConvoyAttacks(attacker, defender)
if defender.prototype ~= nil and defender.prototype.name == "convoy" then
if attacker.faction.alliance.id == 2 then
if GetEvent("ConvoyAttacks1") == 0 then
local convoyLosses = 0
for faction in game:GetAllianceById(1).factions do
convoyLosses = convoyLosses + faction.luaData.statsCasualties["convoy"]
end
if convoyLosses > 400 then
SetEvent("ConvoyAttacks1", game.turn)
local usa = game:GetFactionById(10)
ChangeFactionAlignment(usa, attacker.faction.alliance, -15)
end
end

if GetEvent("ConvoyAttacks2") == 0 then
local convoyLosses = 0
for faction in game:GetAllianceById(1).factions do
convoyLosses = convoyLosses + faction.luaData.statsCasualties["convoy"]
end
if convoyLosses > 800 then
SetEvent("ConvoyAttacks2", game.turn)
local usa = game:GetFactionById(10)
ChangeFactionAlignment(usa, attacker.faction.alliance, -25)
end
end
elseif attacker.faction.alliance.id == 1 and true then -- Add condition for not in Baltic
if GetEvent("BlockadeEstablished") == 0 then
SetEvent("BlockadeEstablished", game.turn)
game:GetFactionById(2).luaData.blockaded = 1
end
end
end
end

What I'm suggesting: Is that the "Red" influence bar be less favorable to go on the march to war. I'm not sure how that would work, however it might make it a tad more playable in the convoy wars. After-all there is no such penalty for sinking endless amounts of German convoys, unless, of course sinking CP convoys might have the reverse effect on America (or others) entering the war. What do you think?

Bob

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 6/6/2015 3:50:11 PM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 11
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/6/2015 4:59:42 PM   
operating

Kirk

Been thinking about the Constantinople enigma from Russian ambush naval bombardment at turn 10 and blockade of the Bosporus Straits. In the below SS I have indicated a hex in red: What I propose is a restricted sea hex (to Entente) at that location starting at turn 1, for say 15 turns (then it reverts to unrestricted). The light blue circled hexes be restricted (to Entente) for at least 11 turns, starting with turn 1, to at least give Turkey a fighting chance to defend Constantinople and prevent a blockade of the Bosporus Straits (these blue circled hexes then revert back to unrestricted). These numbers could vary as the idea is worked out to a final solution. Turkey's economy is not that strong to begin with and has to compete against 2 powerful neighbors (Russia and England) who can overwhelm it's sovereignty in a short time-period. What I am seeing is: Both English and Russian units of all stripes massing at Turkeys' borders, waiting for Constantinople to be pummeled to "0" PP, as a result, knowing that Turkey cannot build major units, labs or buy ammo. The OE just barely have enough PP to cover upkeep and repair or upgrading, if they have any. There have been some other ideas kicked around about Constantinople, I'd just wanted to see this enigma on the front burner again.

Bob

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 6/6/2015 6:05:16 PM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 12
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/7/2015 8:59:57 PM   
AdmiralSarek

Simple thing for naval bombardments, either remove all strategic attack from the ships or make all cities have coastal defenses which damage the ships.
The current situation is a nonsense, especially for the ottoman empire who can be naval bombarded back into the stone age.

Another thing to consider is the German convoy in the Baltic, it is far to easy to stop and far to large a convoy. Entente just has 5-6 subs at a cost of 5-6 pp per turn to stop about 25 German (on average) pp per turn, just silly. Allowing the players to control where the convoys go won't fix this as there is not enough space.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 13
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/7/2015 9:27:01 PM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: AdmiralSarek

Simple thing for naval bombardments, either remove all strategic attack from the ships or make all cities have coastal defenses which damage the ships.
The current situation is a nonsense, especially for the ottoman empire who can be naval bombarded back into the stone age.

Another thing to consider is the German convoy in the Baltic, it is far to easy to stop and far to large a convoy. Entente just has 5-6 subs at a cost of 5-6 pp per turn to stop about 25 German (on average) pp per turn, just silly. Allowing the players to control where the convoys go won't fix this as there is not enough space.

Ahoy Admiral!

When the game was first released the only fleets at that time that could bombard was Battleships (BB's), cruisers received that ability some patches later, now of course: Dreadnaughts, Pre-dreadnaughts, Armed-cruisers and Light-cruisers have that ability. To me the game is a lot more enjoyable with these fleets having bombardment capability. Now you made a suggestion that had not been aired before: "Coastal Defense". It's something to ponder. Could it be a category married to techs in some way? Like: Actually building shore guns or minelaying, maybe anti-ship boom/nets.

Captain Bob

(in reply to AdmiralSarek)
Post #: 14
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/8/2015 7:33:23 AM   
kirk23

quote:

quote:

Ahoy Admiral!

When the game was first released the only fleets at that time that could bombard was Battleships (BB's), cruisers received that ability some patches later, now of course: Dreadnaughts, Pre-dreadnaughts, Armed-cruisers and Light-cruisers have that ability. To me the game is a lot more enjoyable with these fleets having bombardment capability. Now you made a suggestion that had not been aired before: "Coastal Defense". It's something to ponder. Could it be a category married to techs in some way? Like: Actually building shore guns or minelaying, maybe anti-ship boom/nets.

Captain Bob

I'm sure I could create a new buildable unit, and call it ( COASTAL DEFENCE OR HEAVY ARTILLERY ) only Countries with a coast line to defend, would be able to build this unit type, it would act just like a Rail Gun, but be fixed unmovable once a player places it on the game map, in fact, I could make it so that every Country could build them, and use them as heavy battery City defence?

This new unit type, could be used however the player wants, as long as they know that once placed on the map, that's where it will remain for the duration of the game..

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 6/8/2015 9:35:09 AM >

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 15
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/8/2015 10:38:20 AM   
AdmiralSarek

Having to create a special unit is no good, to hard, fortifications were already in place
For example the ones near where I live http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Head,_New_Zealand
note the minefields as well.

When you attack a ship in a port you take lots of damage, should be the same as attacking a city.
Coastal defenses where common.

Perhaps the easiest is to just remove the strategic bombardment, ships ability to general land bombardments always seems to be overrated.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 16
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/8/2015 8:39:33 PM   
operating

quote:

Having to create a special unit is no good, to hard, fortifications were already in place
For example the ones near where I live http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Head,_New_Zealand
note the minefields as well.

When you attack a ship in a port you take lots of damage, should be the same as attacking a city.
Coastal defenses where common.

Perhaps the easiest is to just remove the strategic bombardment, ships ability to general land bombardments always seems to be overrated.

Here we are waddling around with ideas: Where if fact the Turk navy was the first to attack Russia. In this game we have Russia as the "First" to attack Turkey, as stated in the site provided here: http://www.turkeyswar.com/navy/navalops.html

I'd like to point out that the Turkish navy was doing a raid at Odessa October 29, 1914, yet in this game the Turkish navy was in port at Constantinople on turn 10, October 29, 1914, stated in the above site and pasted below here in quotes:
quote:

The first ships to arrive their destination were Gayret-i Vataniye and Muavenet-i Milliye, which entered the port of Odessa at 3:00 am on October 29. There was only minimal resistance by the Russians who were caught the surprise. A Russian gunboat, Donetsk, was sunk with a torpedo fired from Gayret-i Vataniye, another gunboat, Kubanets, was damaged by gunfire, the minelayer Beshtau was set on fire and four merchant ships were damaged. The two Turkish destroyers shelled the port for around one hour, destroying the power station and damaged the oil facilities. Meanwhile Samsun laid a total of 28 mines between Odessa and Sevastopol. All the three ships then returned safely to Istanbul.

< Message edited by operating -- 6/8/2015 9:49:18 PM >

(in reply to AdmiralSarek)
Post #: 17
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/9/2015 3:25:44 AM   
operating

Kirk, you remember when you suggested doing this?:
quote:

kirk23
Matrix Elite Guard

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: suprass81

Ottoman Empire can't save Constantinople from destroing it with russians sea bombsrdment. They can block onlly way in to Black Sea and you can't do nothing. Maybe removing port hex to Black Sea will fix this problem?

Have to admit it's a tough spot for the Turks, however there is an in game solution if a player plans for it, something the AI I doubt would do (AH subs to Black Sea).

kirk wrote:
Central Powers player,can stop Russian warships bombarding Constantinople,just place the Turkish Light cruiser,and the German Armoured cruiser into the green dot area next to Constantinople,the Russian surface fleet can no longer bombard Constantinople,because the Central Powers have a huge defensive advantage within their own GREEN DOT AREA!

In post #17, that suggested site I posted said this:
quote:

Souchon's Black Sea Raid

On October 27, battle-cruisers Yavuz and Midilli; cruisers Hamidiye, Berk-i Satvet and Peyk-i ªevket; destroyers Gayret-i Vataniye, Muavenet-i Milliye, Taºoz and Samsun; and minelayers Nilüfer and Samsun assembled off the coast of Kilyos, north of Istanbul and set sail to the Black Sea. It was the first time after almost four decades that the Turkish fleet was entering the Black Sea on a mission

To be Historically correct: there should be a Turkish fleet on the Black Sea side of Constantinople "before" turn 10 of the game, which in essence would block a player's Russian Navy from blocking the Bosporus Straits and start bombarding Constantinople. The Russians could not be there for the Turk navy was already there (on Oct. 27, 1914)...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by operating -- 6/9/2015 4:49:21 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 18
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/9/2015 3:58:46 AM   
operating

quote:

Kirk, you remember when you suggested doing this?:
quote:

kirk23
Matrix Elite Guard

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: suprass81

Ottoman Empire can't save Constantinople from destroing it with russians sea bombsrdment. They can block onlly way in to Black Sea and you can't do nothing. Maybe removing port hex to Black Sea will fix this problem?

Have to admit it's a tough spot for the Turks, however there is an in game solution if a player plans for it, something the AI I doubt would do (AH subs to Black Sea).

kirk wrote:
Central Powers player,can stop Russian warships bombarding Constantinople,just place the Turkish Light cruiser,and the German Armoured cruiser into the green dot area next to Constantinople,the Russian surface fleet can no longer bombard Constantinople,because the Central Powers have a huge defensive advantage within their own GREEN DOT AREA!

In post #17, that suggested site I posted said this:
quote:

Souchon's Black Sea Raid

On October 27, battle-cruisers Yavuz and Midilli; cruisers Hamidiye, Berk-i Satvet and Peyk-i ªevket; destroyers Gayret-i Vataniye, Muavenet-i Milliye, Taºoz and Samsun; and minelayers Nilüfer and Samsun assembled off the coast of Kilyos, north of Istanbul and set sail to the Black Sea. It was the first time after almost four decades that the Turkish fleet was entering the Black Sea on a mission

To be Historically correct: there should be a Turkish fleet on the Black Sea side of Constantinople "before" turn 10 of the game, which in essence would block a player's Russian Navy from blocking the Bosporus Straits and start bombarding Constantinople. The Russians could not be there for the Turk navy was already there (on Oct. 27, 1914)...

Kilyos

Attachment (1)

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 19
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/10/2015 6:25:47 PM   
operating

Is Turkey going to have destroyers in the next patch?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 20
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/10/2015 8:33:33 PM   
operating

quote:

İzmir is a city in the western extremity of Anatolia and the third most populous city in Turkey, after Istanbul and Ankara.[1][2] İzmir's metropolitan area extends along the outlying waters of the Gulf of İzmir and inland to the north across Gediz River's of delta, to the east along an alluvial plain created by several small streams and to a slightly more rugged terrain in the south. The ancient city was known as Smyrna (Greek: Σμύρνη Smyrni), and the city was generally referred to as Smyrna in English, until the Turkish Postal Service Law of 28 March 1930 made "İzmir" the internationally recognized name.

The city of İzmir is composed of several metropolitan districts. Of these, Konak district corresponds to historical İzmir, this district's area having constituted the "İzmir Municipality" (Turkish: İzmir Belediyesi) area until 1984, Konak until then having been a name for a central neighborhood around Konak Square, still the core of the city. With the constitution of the "Greater İzmir Metropolitan Municipality" (Turkish: İzmir Büyükşehir Belediyesi), the city of İzmir became a compound bringing together initially nine, and more recently eleven metropolitan districts, namely Balçova, Bayraklı, Bornova, Buca, Çiğli, Gaziemir, Güzelbahçe, Karabağlar, Karşıyaka, Konak and Narlıdere. Almost all of these settlements are former district centers or neighborhoods which stood on their own, with their own distinct features and temperament. In an ongoing processus, the Mayor of İzmir was also vested with authority over the areas of additional districts reaching from Bergama in the north to Selçuk in the south, bringing the number of districts to be considered as being part of İzmir to twenty-one under the new arrangements, two of these having been administratively included in İzmir only partially.

Might it be historically correct that Ismir (post-1930) be named Smyrna (pre-1930) on the map.....?

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 21
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/12/2015 3:43:33 AM   
operating

Every once in a while I'll have 2 items in the same tech tree at the same expected completion date (turn), yet only one is released, the other get's stuck in "limbo" for another turn. Take note: In this SS the tech has "0" next to it. Is this a BUG? Oh yeah! I did get Flash Spotting, however I really wanted/needed poison gas the most. Could it be programed to have both techs released on the same turn? or at least have the choice of which one a player would rather have released first? Not only that I'd have to delay upgrading the artillery for 2 turns because of this glitch. The whole damn thing is screw'ee!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 22
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/13/2015 7:11:24 AM   
stockwellpete

quote:

ORIGINAL: stockwellpete

I have just finished my first full solo game for perhaps a year or so now. The game played very well and appears stable - and there are a lot of new features to add to the overall interest. I played as Central Powers on the middle level of difficulty and I achieved an ultimate victory by late 1918 (the USA did not enter the war).

Initially I was held by both the French and the Serbs, but I made more progress against the Russians and eventually encircled and destroyed their army in Poland. I then destroyed their fleet as well. The Italians joined the war in 1915 so the western front was fairly well deadlocked, but I continued to make progress against the Russians and finally forced them out of the war in the spring of 1916 after capturing Moscow. The Turks were able to hold the Russians in the Caucasus and once the Russians had surrendered they were able to move units to Palestine. The next breakthrough was against the French in late 1916 and the Germans took Verdun then broke through completely and took Paris. By early 1917 the French surrendered, then the Italians did as well after losing Milan. The Romanians surrendered when facing total encirclement shortly afterwards and the Portuguese capitulated without firing a shot! The war continued against the British who were all alone now - but once Germany began a massive naval building programme they too surrendered in the autumn of 1918 (the Turks, with German assistance, were pushing them back in Palestine too).

I think this was a very plausible alternate history. There were just a few oddities. Both the Russian Revolution special events appeared on the screen even though the Russians had surrendered; an incomplete Goeben warship message appeared when I moved that unit and a fully complete message appeared about two turns later; the Italians appeared to be mass producing artillery but never got any of it into action (perhaps there needs to be limits on how many units a nation can have at any time?).

Overall, very good though - and I shall try again next week on the hardest level.

I played a second solo game as the Central Powers, this time on the hardest level, and again I achieved an ultimate victory (by early 1918). The Russians surrendered at the end of 1916 but the two Russian revolution captions came up again afterwards. There were no other bugs that I could see. My conclusion is that Germany is a bit too strong in terms of its PP production. I won the game comfortably and I knew I would win as early as mid 1915. Maybe the PP available to Germany could be tweaked a bit?

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 23
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/15/2015 1:14:54 PM   
operating

Noticed the ship icons do not display "Triple Turrets" on both dreadnaughts and light cruisers:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 24
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/15/2015 1:17:29 PM   
operating

quote:

Noticed the ship icons do not display "Triple Turrets" on both dreadnaughts and light cruisers:

Light cruiser:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 25
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/19/2015 9:13:10 AM   
AdmiralSarek

To solve the Turkey problem, can sea hexes be modified to be territorial waters, you need to declare war to move in to them, just like land hexes.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 26
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/20/2015 5:37:39 AM   
TripleCP

quote:

I played a second solo game as the Central Powers, this time on the hardest level, and again I achieved an ultimate victory (by early 1918). The Russians surrendered at the end of 1916 but the two Russian revolution captions came up again afterwards. There were no other bugs that I could see. My conclusion is that Germany is a bit too strong in terms of its PP production. I won the game comfortably and I knew I would win as early as mid 1915. Maybe the PP available to Germany could be tweaked a bit?

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from thumping the AI. I just finished my second game in a row playing against a Privileged Central Powers AI in which the Germans never captured Brussels (and lost 3-4 armies that tried to bypass/encircle it), lost Koenigsberg in the autumn of 1914 (Danzig, too, in the second game), and were completely on the defensive on the Eastern and Western Fronts by the Christmas Truce event. In the first game, they surrendered in spring 1916 just before it appeared that the British were going to narrowly beat the Russians to Berlin. In the second, the Russians took Berlin on 15 April 1915 and Germany surrendered later that summer, with Austria following in autumn and the Ottomans in early 1916. Italy was able to walk into Trento and Trieste on their first turn in both games, and Serbia never had to yield any territory beyond the northwestern hex that the Austrians always attack on their opening turn. In my next Entente game, I may help the Germans out by sending the French armies into Alsace rather than towards Belgium

By contrast, I'm 50/50 at best when it comes to taking Paris in 1914 when I play as the Central Powers. Germany's current PP feels about right...though the AI lets too many convoys get through. I wouldn't want to see Germany beefed up any more in the name of artificial "balance", but as it stands the Entente definitely has the advantage in my book. (Maybe the blockade should be in effect by default at the start of the game, with Atlantic shipping only resuming if the naval balance shifts in Germany's favor.)

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 27
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/20/2015 6:45:43 AM   
operating

quote:

ORIGINAL: TripleCP

quote:

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from thumping the AI. I just finished my second game in a row playing against a Privileged Central Powers AI in which the Germans never captured Brussels (and lost 3-4 armies that tried to bypass/encircle it), lost Koenigsberg in the autumn of 1914 (Danzig, too, in the second game), and were completely on the defensive on the Eastern and Western Fronts by the Christmas Truce event. In the first game, they surrendered in spring 1916 just before it appeared that the British were going to narrowly beat the Russians to Berlin. In the second, the Russians took Berlin on 15 April 1915 and Germany surrendered later that summer, with Austria following in autumn and the Ottomans in early 1916. Italy was able to walk into Trento and Trieste on their first turn in both games, and Serbia never had to yield any territory beyond the northwestern hex that the Austrians always attack on their opening turn. In my next Entente game, I may help the Germans out by sending the French armies into Alsace rather than towards Belgium

By contrast, I'm 50/50 at best when it comes to taking Paris in 1914 when I play as the Central Powers. Germany's current PP feels about right...though the AI lets too many convoys get through. I wouldn't want to see Germany beefed up any more in the name of artificial "balance", but as it stands the Entente definitely has the advantage in my book. (Maybe the blockade should be in effect by default at the start of the game, with Atlantic shipping only resuming if the naval balance shifts in Germany's favor.)

I've said this before and I will say it now: I used to play CTGW "exclusively" in SP, sure enough after awhile (many, many games) I was not getting the satisfaction anymore from the game like I used to. Decided to go MP for the first time "ever"!! Going MP changed my whole appreciation of the game, got my ass kicked, learned that there are other players out there with the same commander skills I have, as well as others who are superior commanders. Some commanders I think are just "naturals" (have a good understanding of the game), whereas others are developing their skills, all-in-all I think everyone in MP has fun with the game, win-lose or draw... I've been playing MP for at least 2 years here, and Ya know: I still lose games (matches in MP), regardless, enjoy every minute of it. So when I read posts (comments) like from the members above, I strongly suggest to go MP if you think you are winning too easily in SP, I will guarantee it will open your eyes up..

(in reply to TripleCP)
Post #: 28
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/21/2015 4:43:07 AM   
operating

I get a kick out of Sweden!!! Sweden "does get a RR point" to start with, but there are no railroads in Sweden, however Sweden does have a port, but "no transport points" to start with, seems kind of strange...

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 29
RE: Thoughts on 1.64 - 6/21/2015 5:01:00 AM   
TripleCP

Yeah, multiplayer offers an altogether different experience, but I don't accept the implicit argument many game makers seem to be making these days that SP is just for learning the ropes before moving on to the "real game" by playing MP. I think it was EA that did a survey a few years ago that found around 85% of their customers never even play MP. Based on some of the AARs, as the game stands now I'd need to agree to some house rules to really enjoy it (such as no disbanding of Small Garrisons).

I haven't tired of playing the AI just yet, but it's got some issues that really should be looked into. I tried to lose a game yesterday by committing the French Army to an all out offensive into Alsace-Lorraine and leaving the way to Paris practically unguarded. I managed to encircle and capture Metz and Strassburg before wheeling north to retake Liege (guarded by a Zeppelin) and cutting off the German forces in Belgium. The Central Powers AI seems to always weaken the Western Front early on in order to help Austria against Serbia, a strategy that's as ill-advised as it is ahistorical.

The Entente AIs biggest problem occurs when Italy enters the war. It would be interesting to see how it would play out on an alternative map with a neutral buffer zone along the Franco-Italian border to prevent the (almost always pointless) back and forth between the two. Maybe Britain could also get a "capital" somewhere along the French northern coast in order to allow direct deployment to the continent. France might actually be able to hold on if they get more British support.

[Central Powers AI unhealthy fixation on Serbia confirmed-I declared war on Italy to see how facing the Triple Alliance would be...all quiet in the French Riviera, but there are Italians starting to show up in the Balkans to further add to the Ausro-German traffic jam.]

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> Thoughts on 1.64 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI