Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Routed troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Routed troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Routed troops - 6/24/2015 1:04:47 PM   
ulsterandy

Is there anyway of saving routed troops? or once they run, they run of the map? I have tried but can not get them to stop running for more then a few secs before they carry on running.
Post #: 1
RE: Routed troops - 6/24/2015 1:33:02 PM   
RCHarmon

Sorry, but those boys are routed. They aint coming back.

(in reply to ulsterandy)
Post #: 2
RE: Routed troops - 6/24/2015 10:59:24 PM   
Jim_NSD

Sometimes they will reform on their own and come back once their morale recovers to a useful level. That takes a while and they will never be as good as new. This depends on the initial quality of the troops and how badly they got hammered to make them rout in the first place.

-Jim

Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 3
RE: Routed troops - 6/25/2015 12:13:17 AM   
pjsynnott

I think it adds a lot to the game to see loose clouds of men heading in the general direction of...away.

I remember getting a nice surprise when I saw Dutch/Belgian brigade during d'Erlon's attack rally itself after running away a couple of hundred yards. So I ordered it back into the line, which it did, then I ordered it to double-time, whereupon it ran away again, for good I think. I guess asking them to run back into the fight was just too much.

(in reply to Jim_NSD)
Post #: 4
RE: Routed troops - 6/25/2015 11:43:12 AM   
Leffe7

In my games I try to handle routed/reformed units with extreme care. Let them rest away from battle by lying down and if possible with an officer nearby until their morale bar is full again.
Then I bring them back towards the battle, but I try to put them in the second line. Behind a friendly wavering unit, behind a threatened flank...
If I need to bring them directly into a firefight, I make sure they do not fight alone but at least some other friendly unit is nearby (giving a defense bonus). And I let them halt outside enemy musket range, if possible on a defensive terrain, and let the enemy come into range. Otherwise they may break again as soon as they take too many casualties while maneouvering.

In MP games, such units are also quite useful to threaten/deceive the enemy - as long as the unit doesn't get into combat again

QA Scourge of War: Waterloo

(in reply to pjsynnott)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Routed troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI