Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loader screen but will not go past that

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Loader screen but will not go past that Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/29/2015 8:21:52 PM   
Jimapp

My new laptop does not have media player running with windows 8.1. The crash log identifies the issue , I just do not know how to fix it.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 3:38:09 AM   
Blabsawaw22

start here..

Reinstall Windows Media Center:

1. Open Control Panel/Programs and Features.
2. Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in the left pane.
3. Expand "Media Features", uncheck "Windows Media Center". Click "Yes" to continue, and click OK to quit and then restart.

After restart, get back to the control panel, Programs and Features, choose "Turn Windows features on or off" again, check "Windows Media Player",click Ok and then restart again.

(in reply to Jimapp)
Post #: 2
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 3:43:15 AM   
Jimapp

Thanks for the response but perhaps you missed the part where I said that my windows 8.1 does not have media player. So what you are saying is I cannot play this game without media player?

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 3
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 3:56:40 AM   
Jimapp

Ok I just revisited the store on steam and apparently I do require Windows Media.....Oh well thanks for your attempts to fix me up.

(in reply to Jimapp)
Post #: 4
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 3:57:00 AM   
Blabsawaw22

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18896443/windows-media-player-not-found-in-windows-8-1

then keep googling!!@#@##@!#

(in reply to Jimapp)
Post #: 5
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 3:58:59 AM   
Blabsawaw22

gosh I googled more!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/download-windows-media-player

however this may not solve your issue.. you may have a windows version that doesn't come with media player.. and some may not allow you to install it for licensing purposes crap..

in that case, perhaps get a copy of windows 8.1 home edition iso or dvd from a friend and install that version.. with Your product key ofcourse!

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 6/30/2015 5:00:05 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 4:01:42 AM   
Blabsawaw22

what windows version are you using? N?

You should be able to get windows media player on it..

my gosh, you might even be able to install a virtual windows and that will have windows media player on it..

Post #: 7
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 4:24:18 AM   
Jimapp

Yes I am using windows 8.1 Pro N...and I have installed windows media player but I think it needs media Centre...sheesh damn Microsoft!...oops did I type that out loud? Anyways I will see what else I can do...not sure if DW would run well virtually..usually there is a graphics issue trying to run any game in a virtual environment. But thanks again for at least giving me a kick in the right direction lol.

Post #: 8
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 7:33:45 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Is googling that hard? Ha. It looks like you can just download media player and install it but the biggest thing I would do, since it seems absolutely stupid to me to ever use (N) versions of windows, is just to install regular windows!!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/what-is-windows-7-n-edition

(in reply to Jimapp)
Post #: 9
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 7:38:17 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Seriously!? I mean seriously!! Microsoft puts no cost difference and even takes the time to make this version???

Why am I surprised at how stupid it is for Microsoft to put out a version of windows missing important software that ... Uh.. Nevermind.. Just try to install windows media player..

But I don't know which version distant worlds needs

-----------
How does the price for the N editions of Windows 7 compare to other editions of Windows 7?
There is no difference in price between the N editions of Windows 7 and other editions. The Windows Media Player 12 download is free.

I already have an N edition of Windows 7. How can I upgrade to another N edition?
If you want to move up to a different N edition of Windows 7, you can use Windows Anytime Upgrade. If you want to move from an N edition of Windows 7 to a non-N edition of Windows 7, you'll need to buy the non-N edition of Windows 7 you want, and perform a clean installation. For more information about installing Windows 7, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

I want to download Windows Media Player 12. Where can I find it?
Download Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and Windows 7 KN.

Post #: 10
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 6/30/2015 7:50:46 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

Why berate MS for a legal requirement, but completely overlook the fact that you're forced to have WMP and IE installed to play this game? Especially when the WMP requirement is literally just for the skippable intro movie.

Post #: 11
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 7/1/2015 5:43:15 AM   
Blabsawaw22

I really don't want to do down the road of thinking Microsoft really is concerned about Legal requirements...

when they openly allow connections behind your back to your computer gaining all marketing and all kinds of info you'd probably rather not know about..

its all out there..

and this is just the beginning..

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2458706/microsoft-subnet/about-those-alleged-backdoors-in-microsoft-products.html

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/06/microsoft-programmed-in-nsa-backdoor-in-windows-by-1999.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/03/28/microsoft-decides-its-actually-a-bad-idea-to-snoop-through-users-emails/

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 12
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 7/1/2015 3:09:58 PM   
HerpInYourDerp

MS aren't the only ones involved in all that. To call them out on it, but ignore all the other guilty parties is silly.

And it was an ECC anti-trust ruling that forced MS to remove WMP from being included. Nor was it MS that forced you to need WMP installed to run a game.

Post #: 13
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 7/2/2015 12:02:48 AM   
Blabsawaw22

yeah i know, but games require all kinds of normal things like directx and framework and windows does normally have these installed now-a-days.. A game company can't produce a game for the world which uses windows and expect because of one version of windows without a normal function of windows- which is to play movies in windows! Imagine a phone software without a speaker.. you need to hear sound to hear calls right? you need a movie player to play movies on windows?

I mean come on, when any program is made, windows has standard features across the board that they know they can use.. apparently windows N versions don't have a program to play movies!? what?? how ridiculous..

anyway whatever.. the point is microsoft has had plently of problems and are just as greedy as any other major corporation and have all kinds of crap you can't explain behind the back like what the heck svchost.exe sends online all the time blah blah..

i still use windows and I love it.. in the end you just use what you want, but to not think microsoft is ridiculous to have a version of windows without a fricken movie player is stupid.. legal or not.. and how many stupid legal issues are there anyway??

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 7/2/2015 1:05:33 AM >

Post #: 14
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 7/2/2015 12:42:40 AM   
HerpInYourDerp

This game doesn't use DirectX for anything other than the audio component of the skippable intro, XNA is depreciated and most games don't force you to have WMP installed to play it. Not to mention a significant portion of people don't even use WMP at all for anything.

Post #: 15
RE: Loader screen but will not go past that - 7/2/2015 4:01:02 AM   
Blabsawaw22

I agree Herp..

I do remember that when some big game (forgot now..maybe battlefield or Call of Duty..) came out, it installed some video player named Bink.. and everybody wanted it off their computer haha..

so this game designers (distant worlds) decided to not use their own video player and just go with the standard supposedly installed WMP on all windows worldwide..uh.. except windows N.. ha..

well look did the guy get the game to run or what??

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 7/2/2015 5:01:50 AM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Loader screen but will not go past that Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI