Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Thanks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Thanks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thanks - 6/19/2014 4:47:35 PM   
Andy06r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidey

I did some testing with with a +23% weapons research bonus, an energy research station, and a multi-school scientist.

Energy station with no weapons lab on weapon research bonus = no bonus at all.
Energy station with 1 weapons lab on weapon research bonus = +23% research bonus.
Triple-school scientist at energy station with 1 energy lab and 1 weapon lab = +18% weaps, +49% energy, +0% HT.
Triple-school scientist at energy station with 1 of each lab = +18% weaps, +49% energy, +23% HT.

So there you have it. A scientist needs access to at least one lab of the right kind to provide a bonus. Any kind of research station with at least one lab of the right type can provide a location bonus.

Where it gets tricky is the interaction of multiple starbases.

If you have a 20% weapons black hole lab, your empire will get +20% to weapons. The 18% on the tri-shook scientist is wasted because the game uses the maximum site (location plus staff) as the bonus.

I typically reduce the labs in my starbase and then add one of each to the research stations. You pay a little more in maintenance, but you avoid the eggs-in-baskets problem.

(in reply to Spidey)
Post #: 91
RE: Thanks - 6/19/2014 8:52:54 PM   
BlueTemplar

Looks like that there's a dilemma for DW : on one hand the defining feature for which it has been praised is the sheer number of systems and ships doing each their own business, but on the other hand this makes it impossible to apply any kind of computationally-heavy algorithm to each of them.

Ideally, you could have different, more computationally-intensive algorithms when there are less objects involved (early game or smaller maps), but then this means that CodeForce would need to develop and maintain multiple or more complicated algorithms... and for what? So that the (tiny?) minority of people caring about this (which am I a part of) is satisfied?

(in reply to Andy06r)
Post #: 92
RE: Thanks - 7/23/2014 10:34:04 PM   
janamdo

Informative and extensive manual, but very timeconsuming.
I don't know how other people handle this information, but it seem to be not very strict structered the manual
It is a lot of stuff to learn, and takes time

< Message edited by janamdo -- 7/24/2014 10:19:57 AM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 93
RE: Thanks - 7/24/2014 9:13:29 PM   
corwin90

Thanks much for this guide. I'm enjoying the game much more since I read this guide and went full manual. Thanks again!

(in reply to janamdo)
Post #: 94
RE: Thanks - 7/25/2014 1:01:52 AM   
Mortimer14

quote:

ORIGINAL: EvilMonk3y

So just a couple of questions for anyone willing to help me...I have got to the stage where I am exploring the nearest star systems and have found some planets suitable for colonization and systems with a lot of resources in them.

1. If mining within a system do I also need to have colonized a planet within that system? My goods ships (the ones going back and forth from mines to planets) currently do not have warp drives in them, should I be designing ones with this capability (if I can?).

2. The BIGGEST problem I currently have is that I have found myself short of one resource that has halted my production of any warp enabled construction ships (and a lot of other stuff) which means even though I have now explored this resource I am unable to actually get to it to begin mining. Is there any way I can buy some amount of it to kick-start everything?

Thanks.

Not sure if this has been answered yet (still have 4 pages of replies to read) .. each type of hyperdrive (or other component) uses a different resource. If you are missing a resource to build a ship, try changing your ship design to use a different resource. Then when you do find the missing resource, change back to use whatever is cheaper/faster/stronger.

Somebody posted above a question on how to design passenger ships. What I did was start a game with level 4 tech as a starting point and full automation. I let it run for a minute and then checked to see what the AI did for passenger and colony ships. From this I loaded up my fully manual game and built my colony and passenger ships based on what I saw automated. I then tweaked the design a bit.

As to what passenger ships actually do...they move passengers from one colony to another, or from a resort to a colony and back. Those passengers may be emigrating from the original colony - reducing its total pop - and landing on the new colony - increasing pop. They may also be salesmen looking to set up new markets or servicing their customers. In the view of the game, it doesn't really matter why they are on a ship, they just are. The ship is private and the passengers like it that way.

< Message edited by Mortimer14 -- 7/25/2014 2:45:33 AM >

(in reply to EvilMonk3y)
Post #: 95
RE: Thanks - 7/26/2014 9:11:56 PM   
auryx

Just wanted to say, as a nooby noob, I've just completed this guide and loved it. Brilliant way to learn the game! I will never automate....never. Now I can shave my neckbeard with pride!

auryx

(in reply to Mortimer14)
Post #: 96
RE: Thanks - 7/27/2014 11:57:54 PM   
Keston

ANSWER 1: This has considerable tactical importance depending on the nature of the opposing fleets.

ANSWER 2: AI handles colonization star hopping across voids poorly with colonization range limits, so Irregular is considered easiest for the AI because the stars are relatively evenly distributed.

ANSWER 4: Damage Control does not stack, but a backup is useful if the first is destroyed. Robotic repair bots each make repairs, so multiple components make repairs simultaneously.

ANSWER 5: It is important to understand all the functions needing energy on a ship or base. Energy generated goes into energy storage (like a "battery") and is drawn from there. Excess energy accumulates until it reaches the maximum storage capacity. Collectors work only when stationary[unless this has changed recently), and depend on the strength of solar radiation. Reactors are always available. This is why reactor output and not collector output is used to determine the excess energy number in green.

Beyond the static energy draw, usage is uneven because WEAPONS fire and recharge on different cycles, SHIELD recharge may kick in, THRUSTERS may be used, and maybe the HYPERDRIVE needs to be spooled up for a high-speed exit. Weapons "energy per second" is a statistic assuming simultaneous fire, but in fact they operate on different cycle times. Energy is also needed for SHIELD recharge (the rate is listed in the design), for the THRUSTERS, and to spool up the HYPERDRIVE. Most ships can't do all of these fully at one time.

ANSWER 8: Mining and Gas Mining Stations are "state" bases that can be built and retrofitted by the player.

Mining: I remember the old rule that marginal output drops a lot with the 4th Mining Engine for early tech, and that improvements mean fewer may be required before reaching the production limit. Check that Gas Extractors work the same.

(in reply to auryx)
Post #: 97
RE: Thanks - 7/28/2014 2:22:54 PM   
Skyjack

Hi guys, new member and player here.

First let me say a google search brought me to this thread. TIMOTHEUS: thank you! Never tried Automatic, never will. What a great tutorial!

So questions for all:

1) so it's confirmed that having more than one lab type in a star base or port is a waste?

2) systems with existing peoples are marked with the grey dotted line? Without knowing, I colonies done of these but now when I look years later, I can't see the indigenous people...have I already absorbed them?

3) why do troop transports not fully load to the gills assuming I have enough troops on the supplying colony?

Okay I'll stop for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Thanks for any help.

< Message edited by Skyjack -- 7/29/2014 3:49:28 PM >

(in reply to Keston)
Post #: 98
RE: Thanks - 8/22/2014 10:59:54 PM   
morik

Hey guys, I just got this game last night and did a few tutorials. I plan to follow the guide on page 1 a bit... curious if the 3rd section is still in the works? Seems like its been a year and a half or so....

BTW: I'm planning on trying the AI improvement mod (sounds like it solves the 'AI is bad at designs' problem).
Can't post link cause new account... but if you type the forum's address (up to the
'tm.asp?m='), the message ID (to put after m=) is 3647528.

EDIT: I couldn't find a few things from the guide...
The 'newly built ships are automated', the default engagement stances, the fleet attack settings, nor discoveries... not sure where these went, have they moved with some new version? I am looking in 'empire policies' (I don't see an 'empire settings' button).

EDIT 2: D'oh, had started the game already. Found it in the options menu of the main menu.

EDIT 3: Regarding the "First assemble when this percentage of fleet dispersed". Shouldn't this be the inverse of what the guide says?
I.e., the lower this is, the more often it will trigger an assembly?
E.g., if set to 80, that means a whopping 4/5 of the ships have to be dispersed already to trigger assembling, right?
And the default 30 means that if at least 1 in 3 ships is missing, the fleet will assemble first?
(So setting to 1 would mean that if even 1% of the fleet has wandered off, they won't engage before assembling...)

BTW, how does this actually take effect? If I have manual control over everything, does this mean if I give an attack order, they will automatically either wait for assembly or go refuel if needed, and THEN perform my attack order?
What if it is an emergency? Is there a way to override and say "no you bastards, all available ships go immediately!"?

< Message edited by morik -- 8/23/2014 3:49:44 AM >

(in reply to Skyjack)
Post #: 99
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 8/26/2014 12:40:35 AM   
Krystyn

Picked up DW/U a few days ago on Steam. Was almost immediately intimidated and bewildered. Then I found Timotheus' incredible post/thread and felt like the Universe had tossed me a life preserver.

Thank you SOOO much for your outstanding help (and humor!). While I'm nowhere near being past the newbie stage, I'm way past where I would have been on my own, and having a super time. Heck, I haven't even had to restart after a Pirate wipeout -- yet...

Krys

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 100
RE: Thanks - 8/26/2014 7:09:03 AM   
Hikikomori

quote:

ORIGINAL: morik

Hey guys, I just got this game last night and did a few tutorials. I plan to follow the guide on page 1 a bit... curious if the 3rd section is still in the works? Seems like its been a year and a half or so....

BTW: I'm planning on trying the AI improvement mod (sounds like it solves the 'AI is bad at designs' problem).
Can't post link cause new account... but if you type the forum's address (up to the
'tm.asp?m='), the message ID (to put after m=) is 3647528.

EDIT: I couldn't find a few things from the guide...
The 'newly built ships are automated', the default engagement stances, the fleet attack settings, nor discoveries... not sure where these went, have they moved with some new version? I am looking in 'empire policies' (I don't see an 'empire settings' button).

EDIT 2: D'oh, had started the game already. Found it in the options menu of the main menu.

EDIT 3: Regarding the "First assemble when this percentage of fleet dispersed". Shouldn't this be the inverse of what the guide says?
I.e., the lower this is, the more often it will trigger an assembly?
E.g., if set to 80, that means a whopping 4/5 of the ships have to be dispersed already to trigger assembling, right?
And the default 30 means that if at least 1 in 3 ships is missing, the fleet will assemble first?
(So setting to 1 would mean that if even 1% of the fleet has wandered off, they won't engage before assembling...)

BTW, how does this actually take effect? If I have manual control over everything, does this mean if I give an attack order, they will automatically either wait for assembly or go refuel if needed, and THEN perform my attack order?
What if it is an emergency? Is there a way to override and say "no you bastards, all available ships go immediately!"?

I don't know about assembling, but on refueling i believe 30 means "trigger the moment less then 30% have enough fuel".

But since i mostly play on manual everything, i am not really sure. What i am sure is that when you issue a manual order, the usually do it no matter how stupid that order. (altough they are sometimes a bit hard of hearing)

One exception would be sending ships (explorers) out beyond their max (half) range, after which the will return, no matter what i do.

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/26/2014 8:09:45 AM >

(in reply to morik)
Post #: 101
RE: Thanks - 9/19/2014 1:09:53 PM   
FroBodine

Do you still plan on doing part three, as you said? Just curious. Lots of people have been asking for it, but you are not answering them.

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 102
RE: Thanks - 11/6/2014 9:39:05 PM   
Timotheus

I just want to say that I am very happy that this guide (my first and only for a computer game) has helped so many people enjoy this game. Both the posts here and on Steam have been very positive and I just want to say that I thank You for your kind words.

I was thinking about doing the "Part 3" but came to the conclusion that this guide is a step-by-step guide, and that far into the game such an approach would be almost impossible to do. That, and also I do not want to spoil the different races you can meet and how they act and I want you to experience the various plotlines with no spoilers... and also, at the point that the guide ends, you probably have a pretty good idea on how to play the game.

Plus you know, real life, lawyering up, hitting the gym, etc etc...

Now, if y'all excuse me, I have stuff to do. You know, with hookers, and blackjack... in fact, forget the... no, no... keep both, actually...

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 103
RE: Reserved for yet more wordy words - 12/28/2014 4:12:29 PM   
NeilN

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darkspire

Independents and colony ships.
Even if you have not researched a planet type you can still colonize it using the expansion planner, for example you do not have Desert world researched but have a colony of ex-independent Mortalens on a Desert world that you sent transports to and conquered, you can now select to pay and build Desert capable colony ships from that Desert world, just be sure that the independent is of sufficient size in population to ensure a good building speed.

Darkspire

I'm a bit confused on how to do this. Been following the guide, playing as humans, and I've colonized a desert planet with 289M Securans. Does this mean I can colonize other desert planets? If so, how can I construct an appropriate colony ship? That option does not appear on in the desert world's construction dropdown list.

Also, is there a list of general best practices for newbies (e.g., should every colony have a spaceport)?

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 104
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/22/2015 2:24:34 AM   
Elsien

*Follows game guide*
*...finishes first space port, begins construction on 2 explorer ships...*
*...Pirates cancel protection agreement, immediately negotiate another agreement...*
*...Pirates cancel protection agreement, immediately negotiate another agreement...*
*...Pirates cancel protection agreement, destroy everything...*
*...Rebuild shipyard, and construction ships...*
*...Pirates destroy everything...*
*...No more money...*

... Nice guide brah.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 105
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/22/2015 2:52:48 AM   
Elsien

Seriously... I tried it again and the pirates just cancel their agreement, and just attack me.
I must be using a different game version that the one in which this guide was written for, because not having any weapons is just completely exploited by the pirates...
This guide was seemingly awesome, (and admittedly has taught me a little bit more about the game, and I will now play with full manual, because my very first game played with automation was just irritatingly inconvenience and inefficient) but I was only able to use half of the first page of the guide before I realized this was just simply outdated :(

(in reply to Elsien)
Post #: 106
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/22/2015 7:54:34 AM   
FBolli

The Pirates can be really annoying. Try it with a different setup, Pirates on few and weak and no respawn. It helps a lot.

(in reply to Elsien)
Post #: 107
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/22/2015 8:10:45 AM   
Bingeling

You probably found some grumpy pirates. Various settings or random happenings may influence how persistent your first pirates are.

As for the advice on the spaceport it seems rather pointless. Just about whatever you do at the start, you need the first pirate deal to stick long enough for the pirates to leave, though.

I would suggest to try again in a new galaxy.

(in reply to Elsien)
Post #: 108
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/22/2015 3:49:42 PM   
VorteeX

I'm always use fighters on early game against pirates. Pirates mostly attack in small groups and escape fast. So fighters can catch them and also in more numbers can blow up pirate base without losing ship.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 109
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/23/2015 2:10:20 AM   
Elsien

Yeah you guys were right, the random rolls on the pirates can be pretty unforgiving! I have had it on 'few' and 'weak' setting every time I attempted it. Finally got a game off an running, I just went a slightly different route and designed a cheap, early game defender.

I was feeling like I was playing Dwarf Fortress with this difficulty curve for a second. :D

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 110
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/23/2015 12:34:46 PM   
Icemania

I've had the odd case where a couple of Pirate agreement resets were needed but I don't recall ever seeing a case when I can't get the agreement in place and got destroyed (including the latest patch). Except for ridiculous settings like a harsh homeworld start when I've run out of money perhaps. If you keep getting this I would report it as a bug.

(in reply to Elsien)
Post #: 111
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/23/2015 9:13:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Elsien,

Have you updated to the latest version of Universe? I recall this being an issue that could happen during the initial release of Shadows, but I thought we had fixed that quite a while ago.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 112
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/11/2015 11:51:04 AM   
Kastor6767

This guide was written years ago. What parts of it are outdated now?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 113
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/11/2015 1:35:02 PM   
Bingeling

It should be completely "safe" to follow, although it may be some minor detail that has changed.

(in reply to Kastor6767)
Post #: 114
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/18/2015 5:04:22 AM   
jwarrenw13

Thanks very much for the guide. I worked my way through Phase 1 yesterday and learned a great deal about the game. I did note that apparently updates to the game since the guide was written mean it is no longer entirely accurate in every detail, but it was close enough that I was able to get started and follow through and work my way through just about all of Phase 1 in one day. I also read through the rest of the thread. After that I felt confident enough to go back and start a game of my own, setting my own game parameters. I recommend it for new players as a great way to get started. Don't get scared by the recommendation to do everything manually. Going through the process in this guide is great for learning how things work, though, and then you can set things up the way you want and go on from there.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 115
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/27/2015 3:54:00 PM   
jwarrenw13

Update. I'm well into my first extended game, and I am still running most functions on manual, and I find it isn't hard at all to keep up. I decided to automate all private ship and base functions including upgrade and refit, etc. And I eventually automated some of my exploration ships. Outside of that I've kept everything manual. And I don't feel overwhelmed at all. The only major thing I haven't really done is get involved in a major shooting war with another empire. I haven't taken a planet using ground troops either. So once again I recommend this thread as a good way to learn the game.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 116
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/27/2015 6:05:06 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Remember to switch game speed back to 1x when you do become involved in your first war. At 4x it might become a wee bit overwhelming.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 117
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 6/28/2015 2:49:49 AM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle Lumpy

Remember to switch game speed back to 1x when you do become involved in your first war. At 4x it might become a wee bit overwhelming.

Yes, shortly after writing that post I decided to go to war with an empire that colonized a planet right at the edge of my sphere of influence. I did it mainly to see what would happen. I attacked that planet and another colony in another nearby system. I knew I had the largest military from some of the game stats, but I was unsure what would happen since I had designed my own ships. I won, but things did get hectic fast and I did have to slow the speed down. I easily defeated a fleet in the system on my border.

But I also accidentally fired on an Ancient Guardian fleet. They had mining ships in the second system and sent a fleet there when I sent mine there, and in the rush I mistook their yellow ships for the orange ships of the enemy and targeted them. I was having a hard time in that battle before realizing what was going on. I immediately hit escape and ran and sent the Ancient Guardians a large gift. I hope they are not too mad at me.

Anyway I negotiated a peace with the enemy empire after capturing the system on my border. I kept the planet and sent some money to the enemy to get them to agree to end the war. Don't know if I handled that well or not, but I was satisfied. Shortly afterwards they negotiated a mining station swap with me that I thought was to my benefit.

Then right after that a pirate fleet started attacking my interests on the other side of my empire. I had to shift my two main fleets from the recently concluded war to the take care of them. Running them down was difficult, but once I did, I crushed them. I guess my ship design wasn't too bad, using two classes, what I call a frigate -- a large frigate -- and a capital ship, just a bigger version of the frigate with more of everything.

Anyway that was quite enjoyable, though it is critical to slow the speed down as you said.

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 118
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 7/1/2015 7:53:48 PM   
BlackSoulReaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

Thanks very much for the guide. I worked my way through Phase 1 yesterday and learned a great deal about the game. I did note that apparently updates to the game since the guide was written mean it is no longer entirely accurate in every detail, but it was close enough that I was able to get started and follow through and work my way through just about all of Phase 1 in one day. I also read through the rest of the thread. After that I felt confident enough to go back and start a game of my own, setting my own game parameters. I recommend it for new players as a great way to get started. Don't get scared by the recommendation to do everything manually. Going through the process in this guide is great for learning how things work, though, and then you can set things up the way you want and go on from there.

I think that my be the intention. If you are newbie and starting out with automation you really don't understand what's going on in your game. I think that's the frustrating part and letting the game 'play itself'. Once you have an understanding on how most of this stuff works it's okay to switch on some automation. I put a lot of my exploration/construction on automation especially for the mid/late game.

I don't think there needs to be a part 3, the first 2 set me up to learn most of it on my own. Only thing that is left is ... maybe a pirate guide if you want to do that. But mostly just more indepth information about components logistics and trade. That's not something a guide like this can peek into though. This guide is for getting newbies familiar with the game without getting overwhelmed. I literally almost tabled this game until I read this tutorial.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 119
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 1/4/2016 11:53:37 AM   
Cyraga

This guide is almost too amazing. I'd always struggled with mediocrity and frustration as the dive into manually playing this was too daunting and game mechanics are often too opaque. The AI is pretty garbage at managing your empire. Population growth and searching for most required resources has been invaluable. Just a few hours in I'm stomping pirate fleets with relative ease and rolling in cash. Before if I had positive cashflow I considered myself to be doing well. Having a genuine blast and looking forward to cranking up the difficulty next game :D

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Thanks Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI