Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for... - 7/3/2015 8:20:29 PM   
ardonquen

Hello!

I've been researching how to add more race pictures to the game and from what I've seen so far, each race has two images representing its characters. They're essentially the same image, although one has a transparent background and one does not.

Mods that add more race pictures seem to rely on adding predefined characters to the game that then use different portrait pictures. However, is it possible for randomly generated characters to use a random image from a pool, or even bet, a pool that's categorized by their role (i.e. general, leader, etc)?

It'd be cool if the pictures used for human characters, for instance, would randomly select between male and female portraits. No biggie if that's not possible, but I'm just wondering!

Thank you for your help!

< Message edited by ardonquen -- 7/3/2015 9:21:38 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/3/2015 8:42:25 PM   
Japhet

I'm not quite sure, I don't think it is possible. Just random generated names, I think.
However, it is possible to assign a specific portrait to a random generated character ingame via editor.

1)dump all the images you want to use in the Images/units/characters subfolder.
2)start a new game.
3)open the editor (the small icon beside the character icon in the HUD).
4)select "edit empires" and select your own (or any other, but you will propably not see the results), then click on "characters" and then on "edit character".
5)click on "change image" an select one of your liking.
6)close the editor. Done.

< Message edited by Japhet -- 7/3/2015 9:43:22 PM >

(in reply to ardonquen)
Post #: 2
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/4/2015 12:15:03 AM   
ardonquen

Wow, thank you for the warp speed reply! :D

It's a shame that you can't have it randomly choose from a selection of portraits, but never mind! Thank you for providing an alternative! :3

(in reply to Japhet)
Post #: 3
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/5/2015 12:06:05 PM   
Maponus

The game will only generate as many races as exist in the races folder. More races, more empires.

(in reply to ardonquen)
Post #: 4
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/9/2015 11:18:32 AM   
NephilimNexus

DeviantArt is your friend. I make all my custom races based of pictures of aliens swiped off that site.

(Vain artist credit is a mental minefield, however, which is why I never share any of these custom races with anyone. Not worth the drama/headaches, IMHO)

(in reply to Maponus)
Post #: 5
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/11/2015 6:50:21 AM   
ardonquen

quote:

(Vain artist credit is a mental minefield, however, which is why I never share any of these custom races with anyone. Not worth the drama/headaches, IMHO)

Ain't that the truth! Every time I add content to a game, it's invariably a hack-job of other people's work. I tend not to share it either, because you don't want some angry artist with tineye as their homepage huffing and puffing at you! Don't they know that intellectual property theft is a cornerstone of modding?

< Message edited by ardonquen -- 7/11/2015 7:50:50 AM >

(in reply to NephilimNexus)
Post #: 6
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 7/29/2015 12:17:26 PM   
Tehlongone

Isn't it legal for non-profit purposes regardless of what they might want?

(in reply to ardonquen)
Post #: 7
RE: Race images: can you create a larger pool of images... - 5/14/2016 10:53:48 AM   
patdoomdoom

I work on space opera packs with more races & characters pictures...i post soon

(in reply to Tehlongone)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Race images: can you create a larger pool of images for randomly generated characters? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI