Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

We Have A Deal About Spwaw & Its Possible Future.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> We Have A Deal About Spwaw & Its Possible Future. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
We Have A Deal About Spwaw & Its Possible Future. - 4/14/2001 3:15:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Fellow SPWaW Fans A lot of you have been e-mailing me asking us not to stop working on SPWaW. The fact is this game have been taking up a large part of our resources with no chance of making the money back we are spending. We have said a few times that this was the last build. We even said it this time which it would have to be do to our resources. The problem is we all love this game so much we want to bring it to the next level. We found this idea on another wargame web site and it started us thinking. Mike Wood, Tom Proudfoot, Paul Vebber Bill Wilder and myself have done some math and came up with the following idea. If we can sell 3,500+ copies of each of the first two mega campaigns we can afford to staff a full time development team for a new written from the groud up SPWAW. We would give it a different name but that would be the basi idea. This would allow us to be able to sell the project and let us keep developing this game for many years to come. Here is what we would plan to do. We would keep the game in hexes, but bring down the scale to 25 yards per hex, expand the size and detail in the OOB, improved the graphics, AI and game engine. We would keep this game as a I Go - You go system, no realtime play. This would be the basic outline with of course we would add our Matrix Games magic. These are the biggest things holding us back now from really going forward with this game development. We will announce when and if we reach this goal. So if you are interested in Matrix expanding the game new the next level please help us fund the project. We also again want to thank everyone for there support for us. IT DOES make the difference.

Post #: 1
- 4/14/2001 3:21:00 AM   
RUsco

Oh yea The best news yet :D :D :D :D

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 4/14/2001 3:33:00 AM   
lnp4668

Please post the level you needed to reach your goal, may be on a weekly basic. I'll try to help out :D

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

Post #: 3
- 4/14/2001 3:39:00 AM   
A_B

What about allowing some sort of sponsorship? I only want one copy of MC, but could also send and additional $100 as a donation. A lot of us working folks could afford to do this - maybe not possible for the students out there. Since demand for these types of games isn't high, it should be understood that those of us who like to play them need to contribute more than for an arcade game. You could put up a plaque with the donors names in the halls of Matrix. Have you considered making Matrix a non-profit corp.? Advancing the worlds understanding of history, etc.? That way, we could get a tax break on contributions. It is probably too late for that, but you could start a non-profit, which we can contribute to. This non-profit would then hire Matrix to provide 'history lessons in a game format' :) . Hey, sounds a little far fetched, but if i can get a tax break on all the money i give to Jesse Jackson - to support his 'extended family', then why not to a 'living history' organization? PS. For anyone suffering silently (like myself), waiting for 5.0 and MC to come out, I’m offering an interactive german WWII campaign. The interactive part means that your next battles are customized, depending on your past performance - sort of a combination of SPWAW and Role-playing.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

Post #: 4
- 4/14/2001 3:49:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Hello Mr. Heath Great news!!! I have no words to answer correctly... It's a dream making reality. You, Matrix guys, make the Difference. You have a Grognard feeling, dududua!!! Thanks'n'Saludos'n'Happy'n'News :D :D :D :D :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

Post #: 5
- 4/14/2001 4:05:00 AM   
Coachace

David, The reputation of your team is good enough for me to "purchase" the next couple of MCs, even if they're not yet on the drawing board. :p I needn't remind folks here of previous games from other developers forced to meet a publisher's deadline that we've spent years drooling over waiting for their release only to be bitterly disapointed with the unfinished, buggy results. :mad: I, for one, know you'll support whatever you release. I want you guys to succeed without big brother forcing your deadlines.
quote:

We will announce when and if we reach this goal. So if you are interested in Matrix expanding the game new the next level please help us fund the project.
Where to I send my check? How much do you want? (I DO have two kids I'd like to send to college, but I've got a small 'toy' budget I'd rather use on your ventures than on some crap shot on a big name publisher's release let down. ;) ;)

Post #: 6
- 4/14/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Supervisor

Any idea on how many pre-orders you have so far?

Post #: 7
- 4/14/2001 4:18:00 AM   
Coachace

David, It would be nice to be able to preorder the next MC, but for now I'll just order more copies of the soon-to-be-released desert MC. After all, I've felt I've owed you guys something for well over a year, now. I'd like to see you get another team working on this so you guys can focus on some of your other projects. :D :D

Post #: 8
- 4/14/2001 5:04:00 AM   
Eisbaer

Sounds great! But what about a kind of open source SteelPanthers, possibly running also on a different kind of OS? :D Many users (including me) were enthusiastic about working within such a project! (coding, map-building, designing new icons and so on) I could imagine, that this would result in a nearly perfect game with many mods! What do You think?

Post #: 9
- 4/14/2001 6:18:00 AM   
Tommy

Dave, Can you set up something on the web store so that we can "buy" official Matrix Certificates, good for the future purchase of your mega-scenarios. Maybe in $25 denominations. We can then buy several as a way of advance funding you. Then later we can tack them to our wall as a donation or cash it in to by MC #2. Tommy

Post #: 10
- 4/14/2001 6:32:00 AM   
Mike Rothery

Go for it!

MikeR

Post #: 11
- 4/14/2001 7:01:00 AM   
Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tommy: [B]Dave, Can you set up something on the web store so that we can "buy" official Matrix Certificates, good for the future purchase of your mega-scenarios. THIS IS A GOOD IDEA! I'd jump on it!

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 12
- 4/14/2001 7:08:00 AM   
ruxius

UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW ! SUperMAtrix ! Ok We WANT a 'counter' in the SPWAW page showing the number of the MEGAC CD-copy actually sold ...so that we can constantly monitor if what you are going to say can ever become real... You now have gained enough reputation to get into deep in this things... I remember when I wrote just in this forum that you have to believe in this project..because a great part of work has just been done...and you see how much we like it! So enhancing from here requires only a minor consuming of resources compared to a whole new project.. I said that all this work shouldn't not be wasted but used as an starting point for the future..I mentioned also a SPWAW in 3D as a final objective...the same game we know with a 3d vision of that shell being fired and moving at full speed through the air..falling in the same hex of my tank but missingi it..explosion smoke..and then my tank still there advancing..OH MY GOD ! ALL TURN BASED ! Never seen this before ! ANd HEY it's SPWAW ! MY FAVOURITE GAME !!! A powerful editor Chlanda-like (but more user friendly) for campaigns-battles weapons-maps-units-oobAI's rules of engagements-air and naval battles... I am not begin to rave..I am only showing how vaste can be this way to be walked if only you decide to start! Give to this a new name and ask to me 100US$.. Do you really think I will not sell my house to buy it ? ahaahhahah so you lost my house !!! (...another one who has been faster has just purchased it) ..Yes I do but remember I keep my pc with me! MAybe today what you are writing here is a simply hidden step to that ...I know ! You just need to believe in yourself...and OBVIOUSLY WE HAVE TO DO OUR OWN PART To this.. as Star Trek showed , supporters DECIDE the 'future' sometimes..with their true love! I am still a student...so my contribute is obviously limited..I am sure to buy a Copy of the MEGACD...I have contacted a gentleman here to help me with shipping..he will order it and then will ship it to my house.. but I recognized this is not enough to give a correct payback for all the good time I spent with SPWAW..no other game gave me so much than SPWAW ..I can not do any other thing than supporting you..so I decided to buy in addition to MEGACD a copy of Firefight..and I also promised to buy Combat Leader..now I promise to buy also the next chapter of MEgaC ! What can I do more than this ? (tell me if some of this purchasing is to be addressed elsewhere to have you working into SPWAW PLEASE ! ) To me it's an effort that all of you deserved with no doubt and I hope my colleagues of this forum will follow with the right consciousness Mister A_B spoke nobly ! I like it and you MAtrix should give him its title for his generous offert...I can call him the first benefactor for this project and he also showed to me a path for my first day of employer.. ;) Let's GO !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 13
- 4/14/2001 8:12:00 AM   
darroch

I think you have lots of support - I agree with the guy who said for over a year now he wanted to give you money - me too a) if you put up a counter for MCs sold, I'll keep buying until you hit 3500... b) consider selling shares in son-of-SPWAW, with upgrades doled out every 3 months for a fee... the idea is: you advertise that for $100 or $150 we can buy one "share" or subscription to son-of-SPWAW. This entitles us to one copy of the 1.0 version in a year. Then every 3 months we fork over another $35 for the next upgrade which could be features, new scenarios, icon editors, etc.. this way, you get more investors because they are pretty much assured a useable product in a year for a very reasonable "investment" and then they can keep the "fires" stoked while you guys maintain coverage with a new infusion of cash every 3 months...if you ever have to close shop, you can drop it where it is and it will be playable (and could be picked up by others..) You're too nice to threaten - I'm not: Everybody...ask yourself how much you'd pay to avoid a future with no SPWAW - the trick is it isn't the diehards - we'll sell the farm - it's the people who just started or don't know of SPWAW we have to get to...matrix needs a bigger market to really be viable - if you know anyone who might remotely enjoy SPWAW buy 'em a copy and see if they get hooked... this could one Ponzi scheme with a very happy ending... Let me know where to send checks!!! I'll even go without beer to buy more copies (oh man I said THAT?) Thanks guys... (Hey, for an extra $20 can I have a tank crew named after me? )

Post #: 14
- 4/14/2001 8:20:00 AM   
Wild Bill

What if I tell you how to do that yourself? At least in all user designed scenarios? Easy enough. Load the scenario into the editor. Suppose it is US vs Germany. Say you want your name on an American tank. Click on "deploy" under US flag. Look over the map till you see a tank you like. Click on it. Type "D" Click on Leader options Click on name. Type in your last name. Hit enter. Exit Exit Save, saving it with the same scenario name same slot. Exit out of editor. Start scenario. find your tank. You should be in command. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 15
- 4/14/2001 8:56:00 AM   
Graf Speer

Excellent, David. I will be there for the mega-Norwegian/French, Russian, and Normandy campaigns . . . hope it helps. Albert

Post #: 16
- 4/14/2001 9:09:00 AM   
Alf

Hello All, I like the ideas from A_B and Tommy how to generate funding for your further SPWaW project. Also I offer to sponsor 5 people who want the MC/SPWaW but can not afford it (preferrably in US, I want to support Matrix not UPS :rolleyes:, if outside US we have to go for the cheap transportway). Contact me by email (I assume that only people who really can not afford it by themself will take this offer). Hope that the Matrix calculation works out!! Regards Alf

Post #: 17
- 4/14/2001 9:28:00 AM   
A_B

Matrix, i wouldn't do certificates sold now which can be redemed in the future. It'll kill your cash flow - of course, you already know that :) Just let us know what your PO box is, and those of us who can will send $100 each (or whatever we can afford). If i win the lotto, i'll send 100 times that. We all say how much we appreciate a free game, let those of us who can demonstrate it. I spent $400 bucks on games last year, many of which i played for two hours and then circular filed (Panzer General III for example). I'd rather spend that money on a real strategy game, and especially the mega-campaign concept.

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

Post #: 18
- 4/14/2001 9:52:00 AM   
Bandit Jim

Count me in for any mega campaigns you put out.

Thank every veteran you meet.

Post #: 19
- 4/14/2001 10:24:00 AM   
johnfmonahan

How about selling bumper stickers and other stuff? I could buy a ten dollar bumper sticker or coffee cup.

When in doubt, go on line.

Post #: 20
- 4/14/2001 11:52:00 AM   
David Heath

Well Bumper stickers may not really go over well. But if any can pick up a Desert Fox t-shirt. I also want to thank the gamers who have offered money to help support the future of SPWAW. We do not want to just take money we are working on a few ideas. Trust me if there is enough interest here we get the ball rolling. Again thanks for your support. so we have come up with a possible idea. to go into I have an idea. How about a t-shirt drive to

Post #: 21
- 4/14/2001 1:00:00 PM   
Randy

;)Dave, I know that this has been covered before, but now with sales for Matrix looking good, do you think there is a possibility for an upgrade for SPIII?. With the size of the maps for SPWAW a new SPIII would be pretty awesome!! Thanks, just an idea. Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 22
- 4/14/2001 1:59:00 PM   
David Heath

hahahahah well not yet in the plans yet I am still trying to get this off the ground. But now that you said that maybe we can try to add that into the specs but I am not trying.

Post #: 23
- 4/14/2001 3:05:00 PM   
degen

Providing donations to Matrix might sound like a good idea, but causes some problems when it must pay taxes. I don't recall the details, but its a little messy. Also, making Matrix a nonprofit will not work because, the IRS will clearly say these guys are in business to make money at this. My suggestion is that if people want to support Matrix in this venture, then buy multiple copies of the mega campaigns. In this manner, Matrix will receive $$'s directly for its product. The drawback is that Matrix will have an inflated count of the gamers out there that support its product.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

Post #: 24
- 4/14/2001 4:10:00 PM   
fontenoy

Sir, I have been enjoying your excellent game for sometime now.When I think of how much I have paid for games that don't provide half the enjoyment I get free from SPWaW....!Anyway,if purchasing the Mega-campaigns will help to keep this fine game growing,you may count on my support. Respectfully yours Fontenoy

Post #: 25
- 4/14/2001 5:56:00 PM   
nikb

Wow, thats just persuaded me to fork out for the campaign. "...We would keep the game in hexes, but bring down the scale to 25 yards per hex, expand the size and detail in the OOB, improved the graphics, AI and game engine. We would keep this game as a I Go - You go system, no realtime play... All that I want in a WWII game...25 yard hexs, great detail (graphics/oob) and no real time (thank goodness). One thing I might add is that it may impact on your sales of Combat Leader. I would prefer to purchase upgraded SPers than a Close Combat driven CL engine. Just my 2c's. Wow Wow Nik :)

Nik

Post #: 26
- 4/14/2001 7:52:00 PM   
Christophe Jaureguiberry

David, This is great news! I dearly hope you will reach your 3,500x2 target. I have already done my duty and I will try to persuade other people to give a shot at SPWAW. As other people have already expressed on this forum, it would be nice if you could put up a counter so that we would know if there is any hope... Another suggestion if I may: when you plan to make your second Mega-Campaign, could you make a sort of survey on the message board and let us vote on which theater of war we woud prefer? Thanks for the good work, Christophe

Post #: 27
- 4/14/2001 8:10:00 PM   
waynef

I noticed that as of 8am today there were 2900+ registered Matrix board members. That means there maybe a few hundred unregistered boad members out there. We need to purchase 3500+ Mega Campaigns, T-Shirts etc... Gentlemen our work is cut out for us. We must purchase the Mega Campaign and keep sharing this great game with others. This truely would be fantastic: but bring down the scale to 25 yards per hex, expand the size and detail in the OOB, improved the graphics, AI and game engine. We would keep this game as a I Go - You go system, no realtime play. This would be the basic outline with of course we would add our Matrix Games magic.

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

Post #: 28
- 4/14/2001 8:15:00 PM   
Charles2222

Updating SPWAW? Sounds great to me. I will add though that I hope it doesn't come at the expense of CL, for CL may actually be the better game. Hey, I WANT BOTH! It could be really fascinating to play a REAL RTS wargame for a change.

Post #: 29
- 4/15/2001 4:37:00 AM   
johnfmonahan

I actually would prefer an upgrade to SP3. I prefer that scale. 25 meters per hex means big monitors! I can live with that, as I work for Sony. How do we survey the people who are willing to spend money? The old SPI/S&T survey system of asking subscribers led them done the monster path. That pretty much put them out of business. David, how do we set up a continual survey system? Can we do it by user names? What say ye?

When in doubt, go on line.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> We Have A Deal About Spwaw & Its Possible Future. Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI