Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Balanced sandbox battles ??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Balanced sandbox battles ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/1/2015 7:22:00 PM   
pcelt

Not sure about the balancing element here.Just fought at the Militia level a defensive battle with Pictons Div of 3 brigades and 12 canon .I was attacked by the Young Guard Div with their infantry, about 24 canon, and 12 squadrons of Chasseurs and Red Lancers.It certainly felt very unbalanced and I am wondering if this balancing process is an ongoing programme and still needs refining.
Any feedback appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/2/2015 1:22:59 PM   
LittlePowell_NSD

Hmm. I know the balance option isn't always perfect due to the structure of the OOBs, but that does seem a bit too warped for comfort.

I'll bring it up with the test team, see if they can try and re-create and get it into our issue tracking system.

NSD Map/Scenario Lead

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 2
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/2/2015 7:54:03 PM   
pcelt

Just to qualify my position --I would not want a solution where Guard Divs were excluded as opponents but rather that where appropriate the number of cavalry squadrons or canon present are reduced for that encounter.If this is too difficult to program I would still
prefer the current inclusion of Guard units and the extra challenge involved in such encounters.
Thanks

(in reply to LittlePowell_NSD)
Post #: 3
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/5/2015 9:20:01 PM   
pcelt

The largest problem when meeting French Guard Divs in the divisional "balanced" battles is that they often are accompanied by the Guard Artillery Reserve of some 24 12lb canon and Howitzers. It is this very powerful weapon especially if accompanied by cavalry to force inf squares which causes the greatest imbalance when facing allied divs with 12 canon and no cavalry. If for "balanced" battles this Artillery Reserve could be programmed to contain only 12 canon this would greatly help the balance intent in these battles.

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 4
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/5/2015 9:52:16 PM   
jardail

also remember, it was common for French Corps/Div to be equipped with a full compliment of arms. The Corps de' armee system was setup so that a single Corps had the ability to fight on it's own a vastly superior force for at least a day or 2. That may also be what you ran up against. This was something quite different in European warfare, that is one of the reasons that Napoleon seemed almost invincible in the early years.

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 5
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/9/2015 12:15:22 PM   
LittlePowell_NSD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leatherneck_MT

also remember, it was common for French Corps/Div to be equipped with a full compliment of arms. The Corps de' armee system was setup so that a single Corps had the ability to fight on it's own a vastly superior force for at least a day or 2. That may also be what you ran up against. This was something quite different in European warfare, that is one of the reasons that Napoleon seemed almost invincible in the early years.

Good points, Leatherneck. I've been doing some testing on my own, and I'm unable to re-create the issue. I restarted about 5 sandbox games, division size, with Picton, and the French always roughly match Picton's numbers, with 3 infantry brigades and 2 artillery batteries. Occasionally there will be a brigade of cavalry as well, but the numbers on both sides are always around the same, and I haven't seen the 24 guns yet. We'll keep testing.

I have to ask the silly question, but are you sure you have the Balanced button checked in Sandbox?

NSD Map/Scenario Lead

(in reply to jardail)
Post #: 6
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/9/2015 3:55:28 PM   
pcelt

In response to this discussion and reflection---have you yet met in a DiV battle (balanced) a French Guard Division--this Is where I usually encountered the 24 canon of the Reserve Artillery.
My second query is whether in your trials you played more than the opening encounters--often fresh French formations arrived later in the encounter. I discovered that in balanced Divisional battles the French usually have 2 Divisions involved. I am assuming this was because British Divisional infantry numbers were a little larger than most French infantry divisions---but of course this also meant that the French force also have 2 sets of artillery and double the canon strength of one division.

I have actually taken to playing "non-balanced" divisional battles as they usually pit one infantry division v one enemy infantry or cavalry division. These battles ironically seen more balanced than the "balanced" option

Post #: 7
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/10/2015 12:08:56 PM   
LittlePowell_NSD

What we have done to test is we set the game so that both sides are controlled--that way we can see both sides at the start (no other forces arrive later etc.). On all of our testing, selecting the balanced button and setting up division size battes, the numbers on both sides, including artillery were always roughly the same. I'm not calling you a liar, but if we can't re-create the issue, there isn't too much we can do. Please keep an eye out for it, and if it happens again, please zip up a saved game and we'll take a look.

NSD Map/Scenario Lead

(in reply to pcelt)
Post #: 8
RE: Balanced sandbox battles ?? - 7/10/2015 2:07:23 PM   
pcelt

All that I can say is that playing the normal balanced Divisional game from the British side I have on many occasions found myself facing 2 French divisions often with the second reaching the battlefield later after the initial contact and sometimes by a different route.
Meeting a French Guards Division has also involved facing the Artillery Reserve of some 24 canon.
I am sure we are both reporting honestly what occurred but clearly we have had very different experiences. I do not know how "actively controlling both sides"as compared with allowing the computer to control one might influence the outcomes we witnessed.
I have now switched to playing the ordinary non-balanced battles which seem to select only single divisions in the encounters and seem to me to be more well matched encounters.
If I retry the "balanced" battles and find a repetition of my earlier experiences I will send a save to you.
In the meantime thank you for your involvement in looking at the issue.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Balanced sandbox battles ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI