Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Wish List Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wish List - 7/11/2015 1:44:16 PM   
berto

A new Wish List thread.

Much will overlap with older TOAW III forum wish list threads, but hey, here's the place to re-emphasize some wishes!

The first of my many wishes: For turn/phase resolution and playback, please give the option to play back, stop-and-start (via some hot key) individual unit/stack movement; individual battle; etc.

Not continuous, not from beginning to end without pause! Too fast for me, still too fast even with the slow-down option.

Or if not step-by-step, then continuous, but with the ability to pause the action at any time (by toggling the space bar, for example).

This may be my personal biggest problem with the older, traditional TOAW UI. I've got other complaints. But this one is maybe at the top of my list. The single biggest thing (there are others) that detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Post #: 1
RE: Wish List - 7/11/2015 8:14:32 PM   
governato

For me, as a scenario designer:

make the formula for a unit strength (19.1.3, page 69) : equipment strength x (2 x proficiency + readiness + supply) / 4

editable, as in:

unit strength: equipment strength x (C1 x proficiency + C2 x readiness + C3 x supply) / 4

(for the math minded: much better if C1+C2+C3=4)

This way one could:

1) distinguish better between ancient armies (where proficiency/morale was all important) vs modern armies, where if you run out of bullets and fuel..well, it's just not good.
2) It'd fix the 'units with 1% supply can still fight!' common complaint. And if one likes it the old way, just leave it alone in the editor.

< Message edited by governato -- 7/11/2015 9:19:01 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 2
RE: Wish List - 7/12/2015 1:07:58 AM   
SMK-at-work

Player-changeable formation attachements - especially for larger formations such as Corps and armies

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 7/13/2015 4:23:26 AM >

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 3
RE: Wish List - 7/13/2015 2:41:11 AM   
siphoenix

< Message edited by Trumpwnb -- 7/13/2015 4:06:34 AM >

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 4
RE: Wish List - 7/13/2015 3:06:57 AM   
siphoenix

< Message edited by Trumpwnb -- 7/13/2015 4:07:38 AM >

(in reply to siphoenix)
Post #: 5
RE: Wish List - 7/13/2015 8:54:03 AM   
lecrop

My wish, equipment info pics capability:

< Message edited by lecrop -- 7/13/2015 9:54:23 AM >

(in reply to siphoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: Wish List - 7/13/2015 5:23:27 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Yeah, that would be nice. Second that.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 7
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 11:23:33 AM   
ncc1701e

Also this is nice, don't you think this will add complexity to scenario designers? It is already lot of works to add a correct TO&E since some equipment files must be customized to add some of them. Adding quality pictures for each of them may be a challenge especially for old ones.

And, the game/scenario size will increase, that's a cost as well for a scenario depot.

Cheers

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 8
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 12:18:08 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

Also this is nice, don't you think this will add complexity to scenario designers? It is already lot of works to add a correct TO&E since some equipment files must be customized to add some of them. Adding quality pictures for each of them may be a challenge especially for old ones.

And, the game/scenario size will increase, that's a cost as well for a scenario depot.

Cheers

You're right. Not so much complexity because I think it's easy to find pics on the net, but yes, that would increase the size of scenarios. No problem with the stock scenarios, but what about custom ones you have to download? That could be a problem. On the other hand, assuming there will be a stock equipment database, it could already contain pics, just like, for instance, the equipment base in Steel Panthers WaW... And if scen designers added some new equipment, they could then also add new pics, perhaps...

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 9
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 4:47:32 PM   
timmyab

In-hex rivers has always been a game breaker for me. Never could take it seriously as a result. Put rivers on hex sides and I'll be a buyer.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 10
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 4:54:27 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 11
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 8:17:02 PM   
secadegas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

Please, add some sort of list displaying the units that are currently travelling by rail. In FitE, it's often a nightmare trying to find them on the map, especially after a longer break between PBEM sessions.

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

Post #: 12
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 8:18:52 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

quote:

No need. You already have it. Use the dot buttom. It cicles through all the entrained units.

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 13
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 9:32:44 PM   
SMK-at-work

Ditto on that - what, where? Huh? why didn't someone tell me this already::

Post #: 14
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 9:35:00 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: timmyab

In-hex rivers has always been a game breaker for me. Never could take it seriously as a result. Put rivers on hex sides and I'll be a buyer.

And just to show how fickle the buying public is - no, please dear god no!!

There are thousands of games with river shapes brutalized to fit hex sides that bear only a passing resemblance to a real map - let TOAW say a bastion of a much better system!

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 15
RE: Wish List - 7/14/2015 10:06:42 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

quote:

The dot button? What's that? Where is it?

Phew! It's just a the full stop key on the keyboard...

Unfortunately, it doesn't offer exactly what I want. It may be good for smaller scenarios, but circling through the entrained units is only possible if you actually disembark them. In large scenarios such as FitE, the distances are so large that you sometimes need to transport units for two turns. So, disembarking them while circling through them is a bit of a nuisance.

Post #: 16
RE: Wish List - 7/15/2015 9:14:44 PM   
orabera

Second, third and fourth. Every time I start back with TAOW, I'm turned off again by this truly goofy feature. I'd rather see tortured hex-side rivers than see Buda and Pest separated by a 50km wide river.

< Message edited by orabera -- 7/15/2015 10:16:11 PM >

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 17
RE: Wish List - 7/15/2015 9:27:47 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: orabera

Second, third and fourth. Every time I start back with TAOW, I'm turned off again by this truly goofy feature. I'd rather see tortured hex-side rivers than see Buda and Pest separated by a 50km wide river.

Or you could have the river flow through a city hex and call it "Budapest".......

(in reply to orabera)
Post #: 18
RE: Wish List - 7/15/2015 9:42:36 PM   
Falcon1

I don't mind the in hex rivers so much, but TOAW seems to act like you are actually in the water or very close to it if you are in a river hex. That needs to be improved.

Post #: 19
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 7:04:22 PM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work
Or you could have the river flow through a city hex and call it "Budapest"

I don't actually object to rivers going through the middle of city hexes. I believe there are some games that will allow this and I think it should work fine.

Post #: 20
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 9:19:53 PM   
orabera

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

quote:

Or you could have the river flow through a city hex and call it "Budapest".......

quote:

start

But then no matter which direction I attack from BudaPest, I'm attacking across a river. How can you be on both sides and neither at the same time.

Some like it, some get used to it, some hate it. I love this game because of the flexibility, and hate it for this one reason.

"As god as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Post #: 21
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 10:23:07 PM   
SMK-at-work

Yep - at the very least a river running through your rear zones imposes restrictions on supply flow and restricts depth of deployment - works for me.

(in reply to orabera)
Post #: 22
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 11:08:53 PM   
Falcon1

The more I think about it, I think rivers on the hex sides is best. Yeah it may be a downgrade aesthetically, but the rules will make more sense I think. We don't complain about other terrain features following the hex pattern, at least I haven't seen that.

Post #: 23
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 11:24:53 PM   
SMK-at-work

IIRC (off the top of my head) escarpments/hilltops are the only features that follow hex sides aren't they?

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 24
RE: Wish List - 7/16/2015 11:45:21 PM   
Falcon1

I didn't necessarily mean just features on the hex sides. Most terrain features fill nearly the entire hex with a uniform pattern, so that it is obvious that you are either inside or outside the feature, a forest for instance. Even with the visible hex sides turned off, the hex based pattern of the map is obvious.

This doesn't bother me at all. You don't need to make the rivers into straight lines that follow the hex sides, just make it clear enough which hex side is affected.

Post #: 25
RE: Wish List - 7/17/2015 12:48:06 AM   
Meyer1

Regarding rivers: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1558431&mpage=1&key

Have fun

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 26
RE: Wish List - 7/17/2015 10:49:09 AM   
timmyab

quote:

But then no matter which direction I attack from BudaPest, I'm attacking across a river. How can you be on both sides and neither at the same time.

I haven't actually played a game with this feature but I'm guessing that normal river rules are suspended for cities with rivers flowing trough the center of the hex. Maybe there's a river modifier on top of the city's normal modifier or something of that sort I don't know. If the city is clearly one side or other of the river then you place a normal hex side river.
Because of the difficulty of capturing cities by frontal assault this feature should work in practice I would imagine. Usually if a city on a river is captured it's because it's been isolated from supply anyway, i.e the river has already been crossed on both sides of the city.
So in practice this allows rivers to flow through cities in an aesthetically pleasing way without affecting game play. I'm not particularly advocating this, just saying that I see no objection to it.

(in reply to orabera)
Post #: 27
RE: Wish List - 7/17/2015 1:20:07 PM   
Capitaine

quote:

Great point. I feel the same way.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 28
RE: Wish List - 7/17/2015 1:33:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

Regarding rivers: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1558431&mpage=1&key

Have fun

Ah, yes. The bad old days.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 29
RE: Wish List - 7/17/2015 8:57:04 PM   
Falcon1

I didn't read that whole thread, so maybe this was addressed.

Yes, if you are in a river hex it always seems as though you are on the wrong side of the river, whatever you are trying to do. Attacking from a river hex doesn't even seem to make sense.

Let's say hex is 10km and a river is going through the middle, and I am attacking out of this hex to an adjacent unit on dry land. The game assumes that I am attacking from behind the river, which means attacking an enemy that is around 5km away from me.

If I'm on defense, I do not get any benefit from defending so apparently in this case the game is assuming that I am on the same same of the river as the attacker. (again the wrong side)

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Wish List Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI