Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Independence Found

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> USS Independence Found Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Independence Found - 7/9/2015 7:51:04 PM   
Zorch

Don't know if anyone has posted this... http://www.nbcnews.com/science/weird-science/amazingly-intact-wwii-aircraft-carrier-found-ocean-floor-n343596

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/9/2015 8:27:34 PM   
geofflambert

I had thought they only did H-bomb tests there (Bikini), but I see they did some of both. Do you know that they did over 900 underground A-bomb tests in Nevada and over 100 aboveground?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 7/9/2015 9:31:02 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 12:55:33 AM   
wdolson

There are quite a few stories of downwinders from nuclear tests. Some western was being filmed downwind from one and a very large percentage of people who worked on that movie developed cancer including John Wayne.

I suspect my father's family was affected. He went back to Michigan to move his family to Los Angeles in 1952. They went through the Southwest when all the bombs were being tested. All 4 of them developed cancer in the late 60s. In his sister's case, she didn't tell anyone until it was too late and in his parent's case, the cancer was growing slow enough they ended up dying of something else. My father developed a nerve cancer in his back that is fairly rare, but metastasizes very easily. He had the tumor removed and fortunately it never came back. He's still kicking.

I suspect my father is almost pure Sami (the native people of northern Scandinavia) who have a very high resistance to heart disease and cancer.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 1:44:40 AM   
geofflambert

I'm sorry about what happened. We didn't seem to know what we were doing. Apart from appearances, we really didn't know what we were doing.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 1:50:25 AM   
barkhorn45

The movie was "The Conqueror"with John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.
Not one of his best.
There were quite a few eventual cancer death's amongst the cast and crew.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 5
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 1:58:30 AM   
geofflambert

Wasn't one of Susan Hayward's best either. As a matter of fact it was one of the worst movies ever made. At least "Plan Nine from Outer Space" was funny.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 6
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 2:11:26 AM   
Coach Zuck

My father was in the US Air Force during the Korean War and the early 50's.

He was present at multiple Nuclear Bomb detonations... you know the ones when the would march the troops through after the blast!
He actually drove through on the last two.
In the 1990's he developed a lot of health issues including a type of Immune System Deficiency; his body was producing less then half of the types of white blood cells and other "stuff".
When he was 75 he was told by the VA that he was the ONLY survivor of multiple tests(from that time) to SURVIVE to 75!

Post #: 7
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 2:20:44 AM   
geofflambert

I believe the dust that was kicked up by the marching, as well as that kicked up by Jeeps was the main culprit. I really don't know what to say about that period of time when we were experimenting on soldiers. I don't know why soldiers or veterans were considered to be in a special class apart from the rest of us, and why they could be experimented on without much knowledge. I know that in some cases they were told something about what they were volunteering for, but not everything.

(in reply to Coach Zuck)
Post #: 8
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 2:52:37 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkhorn45

The movie was "The Conqueror"with John Wayne playing Genghis Khan.
Not one of his best.
There were quite a few eventual cancer death's amongst the cast and crew.

Not only did Wayne play in that awful movie, but in the same year he acted in "The Searchers", probably the best film he was in and a great film all considered, and it wouldn't be without his contribution. If you haven't seen it get it and watch it.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 9
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 3:07:47 AM   
geofflambert

I'd like to expand on my previous comments. A lot of people don't think John Wayne was a very good actor, maybe just a good character actor. Watch "The Searchers", you'll know what kind of actor he was.

Post #: 10
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 5:54:16 PM   
oaltinyay

I like the way the thread evolved into nuclear tests and than into John Wayne's actorship level :) Which I think is ok bw. I liked True Grit a lott and only expandables series are on par for enjoyability with the one he made with Dean Martin and James Caan. His 'ww2' movies suck a bit though.

To add flavor to the nuke testing topic, I lived about 20km next to a missile silo in black sea. We were told that it housed missiles but years later learned it wasnt since '63. For some silly reason they gave me comfort.

Then there was chernobyll, I walked to school under the rain for the whole 5 days after it happened and Russians did not bother to tell the word until the 4th day or so and turkish govnt. decided to warn on the 5th. Next 2 generations, black sea region was full of stories about real "mutants" , humans,cows,dogs etc.. It had rained into the soil and seeped into the water flow and main crop of region was tea that "drinks a lot". Rate seems to have subsided now but the toll was great I think, though never officially disclosed. I wonder how hard Ukraine was hit.

Post #: 11
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 8:31:06 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Zuck

My father was in the US Air Force during the Korean War and the early 50's.

He was present at multiple Nuclear Bomb detonations... you know the ones when the would march the troops through after the blast!
He actually drove through on the last two.
In the 1990's he developed a lot of health issues including a type of Immune System Deficiency; his body was producing less then half of the types of white blood cells and other "stuff".
When he was 75 he was told by the VA that he was the ONLY survivor of multiple tests(from that time) to SURVIVE to 75!

My father was on Wake and the Marshalls during the tests. He was a meteorologist; part of his job was to measure radiation.
He died of prostate cancer 60 years later.

(in reply to Coach Zuck)
Post #: 12
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/10/2015 8:41:28 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

I like the way the thread evolved into nuclear tests and than into John Wayne's actorship level :) Which I think is ok bw. I liked True Grit a lott and only expandables series are on par for enjoyability with the one he made with Dean Martin and James Caan. His 'ww2' movies suck a bit though.

He was fine in "Midway" though his part was small.

I hope you stay healthy.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 13
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:00:58 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

My father was on Wake and the Marshalls during the tests. He was a meteorologist; part of his job was to measure radiation.

My father's doctor told him most men over 70 have prostate cancer, though in many cases it is growing so slowly they die of something else.

Looking at the game map, I have wondered what we would call 2 piece bathing suits if the US had selected Rongelap instead of Bikini for the tests.

Bill

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 14
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:52:18 AM   
geofflambert

I've heard the same. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be the thing that kills you, unless you're young, say 40's or 50's.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 15
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:56:23 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

My father's doctor told him most men over 70 have prostate cancer, though in many cases it is growing so slowly they die of something else.

Looking at the game map, I have wondered what we would call 2 piece bathing suits if the US had selected Rongelap instead of Bikini for the tests.

Bill

Was a no piece bathing suit an option?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 16
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 4:11:38 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
Was a no piece bathing suit an option?

Common in some places in the world I hear.

Bill

Post #: 17
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 6:51:01 AM   
rockmedic109

quote:

I've heard the same. Prostate cancer is unlikely to be the thing that kills you, unless you're young, say 40's or 50's.

Two basic types. The most common {by far most common} type grows so slow that you'll die of old age before it can kill you.
The other type is incredibly aggressive and fast growing and usually fatal by the time it is discovered.

Post #: 18
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 2:55:49 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

quote:

Two basic types. The most common {by far most common} type grows so slow that you'll die of old age before it can kill you.
The other type is incredibly aggressive and fast growing and usually fatal by the time it is discovered.

This thread shows the profile of WITP:AE players to a great extent... Come on people ! I am 45 and play Battlefield 4 on my xbox and from time to time I show those youngsters what killzone means...

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 19
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 2:59:36 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

He was fine in "Midway" though his part was small.

I hope you stay healthy.

Thx and same for you. I want to see my daughter grow up ( as our only child ,she came when when I was 40 ) in way so that we can enjoy it.

As for JW... I actually like every one of his movies but some are more 'dull'. Ps. By "midway" u mean "harm's way" ?

Post #: 20
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:03:10 PM   
geofflambert

No, Midway. He played Halsey in that. Stuck in bed with dermatitis or something.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 21
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:05:35 PM   
oaltinyay

For me this sums up John Wayne....

http://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Rooster-Cogburn.jpg

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 22
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:09:20 PM   
geofflambert

Did everyone see the post I did in another thread? It was a link to an interview with Michael Caine who did some amazing impressions of Wayne. Most hilariously a bunch of actors were meeting for some reason or other and they gave Wayne Hamlet's soliloquy to read out loud. He read a few lines and then said something like "What the f? Who wrote this ****?"

Post #: 23
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:09:36 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

No, Midway. He played Halsey in that. Stuck in bed with dermatitis or something.

That's right... now I remembered. Charlton Heston blurred my memories of the movie.

Does anyone remember the 'winds of war' by Herman Wouk (I guess ) TV series. It was a huge hit in Turkey in late 80's, but I regularly pissed people off by commenting on the various inaccuracies in the production like 'hey that's not a M41 German uniform or this is not a german Halftrack'

Post #: 24
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:14:35 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

Did everyone see the post I did in another thread? It was a link to an interview with Michael Caine who did some amazing impressions of Wayne. Most hilariously a bunch of actors were meeting for some reason or other and they gave Wayne Hamlet's soliloquy to read out loud. He read a few lines and then said something like "What the f? Who wrote this ****?"

I couldnt find it , can you please direct us to the post ?

Post #: 25
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:20:18 PM   
geofflambert

I'll try and find it. It wasn't the "Alas poor Yorick" one but "To be or not to be. Whether tis nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or by opposing end them."

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 26
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:22:44 PM   
geofflambert

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dgm_MQgIUg

Post #: 27
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:29:56 PM   
geofflambert

Forgot "That is the question". Just watched it again. Caine is hysterical.

Post #: 28
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 3:54:49 PM   
oaltinyay

Any Lee Marvin fans here ? I did like him a lot. He seemed more 'realistic' when it came to gritty movies. The one he played with Toshiro Mifune was very good. I cant see Duke playing that one ( he would have shot Mifune in the second 5 minutes )

Post #: 29
RE: USS Independence Found - 7/11/2015 4:06:24 PM   
geofflambert

Everybody likes Lee Marvin. Did you bring that up because YouTube fed you a one of him after the Caine bit? I didn't like "The Big Red One" much (the movie with Luke Skywalker in it). It played like a TV movie from that era. The extended scene of him with the boy from the concentration camp was well done though.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> USS Independence Found Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI