Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a family?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a family? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a family? - 7/11/2015 9:24:19 PM   
Blueinstinct

Hey, ive downloaded the hiigaran shippack from astradeus (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3817158)

now this dl contains alot of awesome pictures, more than 1 for each role, so i wonder if there is a way to make aditional images for my race available in the game.

greetings
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/12/2015 5:51:37 PM   
feygan

Yes you can do this, simply name the extra ships how you wish. For me I tend to have pictures I already have in mind that will be a destroyer or cruiser etc, I then just name them cruiser 2, 3, 4 etc. Then when you are designing a ship in the game click the drop down arrow next to the ships picture, this lets you then pick a picture to use for you design. It is not just limited to your own race family, you could for example scroll down and decide you wanted your new mining base to use the picture of a Shakturi cruiser, or the planet destroyer ship. The game doesn't care as it is simply a graphic and it will scale it accordingly. The main reason for putting ship pictures in your race family folder is just for ease of organising things, as it means the extra ship pictures will show up in the same group as your race family ones.

The one limit to this I believe is the AI makes zero use of this, so even if you gave them 20 different frigate pictures they will always design ships using the standard "frigate.png" picture.

(in reply to Blueinstinct)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/12/2015 9:27:43 PM   
Blueinstinct

hmmm, you know, i did try exactly what u describe and it doenst work at all. no matter how i call my ships and how many i put in my folder, the game will only show the ones that are named like its original classes... And iam not a computer noob, i know my folders, its just that the pictures wont show up in game.

now that u tell me it works for you makes this even more upsetting for me =)

edit: can u think of anythig that could cause this? I run my game without a theme, overwriting many original files

< Message edited by Blueinstinct -- 7/12/2015 11:14:05 PM >

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/12/2015 9:40:50 PM   
feygan

I do not know if things have changed since Universe but that was always the method I used before. Have you tired looking all the way down the picture list in the design screen? It could be that for some reason your new picture files are being dumped in another part away from the main race group. If that doesn't work then I can only guess that Universe did something to how they are read and you can no longer have multiple versions of the same ship picture.

Post #: 4
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/13/2015 12:20:30 AM   
GripHAHA

what's the point as running without a theme if you're going to mod your game? there is no point, the game even starts up as the theme you last chose, and to be honest that might be your problem right there to why the game don't catch the extra modded ships.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/13/2015 8:28:57 PM   
Blueinstinct

U might be right, though it seems kinda strange that it wouldnt work as is if it works in a theme...

(in reply to GripHAHA)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a f... - 7/14/2015 3:41:59 AM   
GripHAHA

Yeah, I'm not sure, I haven't tested that. The programmer might of coded it differently while reading from a themes folder... not sure, test it.

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Is it possible to have aditional ship images in a family? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI