Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/22/2014 2:38:33 PM   
Computica

quote:

ORIGINAL: AstroCat

Ok, I fixed all the planets and the cloud overlays except for the frozengasgiant and gasgiant. For those 2 sets I recommend just using vanilla.

My fixes might not be 100% perfect but I think they are a definite improvement over what we had before. Let me know what you think and maybe I can adjust them if needed.

VERSION 3 FIXED NAMING, PLANETS & OVERLAYS!

I'll keep looking for other things that are "off". Let me know if anyone finds anything else that needs fixing.

Everyone I released the fix to this a few post back on page 6 in December 2012

All you need is 2.4 for and the replacement shading.png, Astrocats' so called fix lowers the quality of the planets and cloud overlays. The reason planets look broken is because the Shadow overlay didn't exist when GEM 2.4 was released. All Astrocat ended up doing was rolling back the changes off the mod. I just tried replacing the resized shading.png and the planets work perfectly fine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 241
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/22/2014 7:24:27 PM   
Hikikomori

I probably did something wrong, but i get a weird glowing ring especially around gas planets.

It seems to be there also with astros and deleting shadows.png, but it is very faint.

But i am fine with "3.0" and deleting shadows, looks good enough.

Edit: Small update, 22-30 are done. If i am not going nuts about this it shouldn't be more than a couple weeks.

Although i could really use a good idea for family 34, paratis.

Those designed a sadist...

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/22/2014 8:29:21 PM >

(in reply to Computica)
Post #: 242
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/23/2014 10:25:20 PM   
Computica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hikikomori
I probably did something wrong, but i get a weird glowing ring especially around gas planets.

It seems to be there also with astros and deleting shadows.png, but it is very faint.

But i am fine with "3.0" and deleting shadows, looks good enough.

Reinstall GEM 2.4 and use the new shadow.png that I placed in the post above yours; 3.0 breaks and lowers the quality of the GEM 2.4 Planets.

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 243
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/23/2014 11:23:03 PM   
Hikikomori

I did that, and tried again just for testing 5 minutes ago, this time with removing my folder before c/p 2.4 and your shadow.png, instead of just copying over.

Those are the results.

With 2.4 and your shadow.png:

The mentioned glow.

Weird shadow around the planet.

Perfect.

And here the same with 3.0 and no shadow.png:

No glow.

No shadow.

Was perfect with your shadow.png, is now actually worse with a glow left side.

Neither of the available workarounds are perfect, but at the moment i prefer the slight errors on 3.0 and no shadow than having a better swamp but a glow on every gas planet and shadows on some others with yours.

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/24/2014 12:24:21 AM >

(in reply to Computica)
Post #: 244
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/24/2014 2:22:07 AM   
FrancoisH

Hello there,

I'm really new to this game (and this forum). I was looking at this graphical mod and if I understand clearly, I must download the 3.0 version and add this famous shadow image and replace it and it should work almost correctly with the latest build of the game (steam version)?

If not, should I wait for the fixes and addition your making? Will take some time if I read this message correctly.

Kind regards.

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 245
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/24/2014 10:17:16 AM   
Hikikomori

I will only add the ship markings for pirates and the ships/races that were added in the DWU: Extended Mod, since they did not exist back when martian made this mod.

Astrocat did some work on the planets, and i do not know if he will do any more on them.
I did not test 3.0 and Computicas shadow.png, i only tested the combination of 2.4 and his file on one side,
and 3.0 and no shadow file on the other.

That way i believe the game will use the default one, but i could be mistaken about that.
Anyway, 3.0 and deleting the shadow.png works fine enough for me for the moment.

Oh where are my manners, welcome.

Edit: You probably know already, but please note that you should make those changes only in your /game/Customization folder, in the theme you are using. Or in your case, with the steam version, C:\%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe\Customization.

For example "Distant Worlds Universe Extended Mod" or "Extended AI Improvement Mod", which you really should try, especially the latter, since it incorporates the former.

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/24/2014 11:30:03 AM >

(in reply to FrancoisH)
Post #: 246
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/24/2014 4:28:34 PM   
FrancoisH

I saw as well Beyon Extended Univers which look promising as well ;)

Anyway thank you for your answers. I'll try the 3.0 and remove the shadow file.

< Message edited by FrancoisH -- 8/24/2014 5:29:01 PM >

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 247
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/24/2014 4:33:03 PM   
Blackstork

Thanks FrancoisH :)
And yes, Beyond incorporates both Extended Mod and Icemania's AI mod, and GEM mod, as well as number of other smaller mods + my other Alien Immersion mod which features race-specific user interface art.

< Message edited by Blackstork -- 8/24/2014 5:34:34 PM >

(in reply to FrancoisH)
Post #: 248
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 8/31/2014 5:29:31 PM   
Hikikomori

So, it is done.

GEM-style ship markings for all Extended Mod races. Also, pirates.

Here you go.

Everything is tested ingame, but i sure as hell have overlooked something.
If you find an error or have a suggestion about changes don't keep it to yourself.

So, all i need now is a time machine, to go back to myself as i decided i would do this and talk young and stupid(er) me out of it.

< Message edited by Hikikomori -- 8/31/2014 6:31:41 PM >

(in reply to Blackstork)
Post #: 249
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 9/1/2014 5:46:04 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hikikomori

I did that, and tried again just for testing 5 minutes ago, this time with removing my folder before c/p 2.4 and your shadow.png, instead of just copying over.

Those are the results.

With 2.4 and your shadow.png:

The mentioned glow.

Weird shadow around the planet.

Perfect.

And here the same with 3.0 and no shadow.png:

No glow.

No shadow.

Was perfect with your shadow.png, is now actually worse with a glow left side.

Neither of the available workarounds are perfect, but at the moment i prefer the slight errors on 3.0 and no shadow than having a better swamp but a glow on every gas planet and shadows on some others with yours.

I did the same thing and have the same problem so you did nothing wrong. Reverting back as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hikikomori)
Post #: 250
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 7/5/2015 6:51:02 PM   
idefelipe

Hi there,

First off, congratulations for this awesome mod. It really gives the game a new level :)

I have a problem when I install GEM. As you can see in the attached picture, the shadows of the planets are moved and doesn't appears on the right place.

Maybe haven't I installed properly? (I copied/pasted in the images folder in my Extended Universe Mod Folder in Customization). I'm using a 1920 x 1080 resolution and I have all the requirements for the game :)

Thanks for your help!!

EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded the Planets Fixed Files and all is solved.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by idefelipe -- 7/5/2015 8:08:31 PM >

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 251
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 7/6/2015 6:55:09 PM   
ASHBERY76

Wow this was way back in 2012 already.Shame he never came back.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 252
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 7/15/2015 3:04:28 PM   
Flinkebeinchen

I still use this mod :)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 253
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012 Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI