Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ahhhh! What's the deal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ahhhh! What's the deal? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ahhhh! What's the deal? - 4/15/2001 9:10:00 AM   
vbmark

Ok, I'm doing the WWII campaign, running my craft to the beach (which takes forever) and finaly we get there. I dump a bunch of engineers all along the coast where the road is closet to the beach; you know, down south-side. Okay, finally the larger landing craft show up with my tanks and I dump everything on the sand. So far I've only lost one plane due to AA fire so I'm psyched and ready to storm. But here's what happened: Every time I tried to move a tank one hex inland it would either blow up or become immoble due to mines. :mad: Every time!!! :mad: I think only one made it past the shore! I'd given the engineers time to remove them and they did remove some. But what am I supposed to do; wait 4 or 5 turns for all the mines to be gone while the enemy spotter zeros in on us and we get pulverized?!? Someone tell me what I'm supposed to do here because I was very frustrated. :( Thanks. :confused:

Post #: 1
- 4/15/2001 9:17:00 AM   
A_B

are you playing the long computer generated WWII campaign? If so, you'll almost never get a good battle. the computer purchase are predictable, and the AI setup is even worse. I'd be more than willing to purchase and set up the AI forces for you on a long campaign, if you could return the favor - i'm wanting to play a long campaign as the brits, but it is pointless playing the regular way (computer purchase and deploys)

Unconventional war requires unconventional thought

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 2
- 4/15/2001 9:37:00 AM   
Warhorse

vbmark, about all you can do, yes, is use the engineers to get rid of those pesky mines. However, you will need to help them out by laying plenty of smoke to shield them from enemy fire. You may also want to just send in a few squads of Engineers to do this, an advance party as it were, that way if shells do hit that area, you don't have a big cluster****!! This WILL take some time, but you should loose few more casualties this way, then when the hole is poked thru the field, try to establish a more or less secure beach-head, before bringing ashore everyone else. See how this works for you, has been awhile since I did a beach assault, but this generally will get you thru it!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 3
- 4/15/2001 9:44:00 AM   
Tankhead

Here is a few tips for beach assault. #1: Use lots of smoke before you it the beach. #2: Use the engineers 4 hexes wide and if you have lots of engineers stack them in the same hexes with the other ones. If you have mine clearing tanks put them with the engeneers this way you will be able to get off the beach a lot quicker. Do no spread your unit all over the beach that is a suicide wish. #3: Keep your smoke screen going for the corridor you created with your engineers. Send some light foot recon unit ahead and on the flanks only move them 1 or 2 hexes at a time. Use them to find the enemy and what you are up againts. #4: The most important is you want to keep your units hidden from the ennemy and the only way to do this is with lots of smoke. While on the beach move slow and clear a path to get off the beach, once off the beach thing usually gets way better for you. Beach assault are a bummer and if you follow these pointers you will keep your losses to a minimal and you will get off the beach a lot sooner. Engineers and mine clearing tanks stack together will remove mines very fast. :-). Just keep your path 4 to 6 hexes wide. Smoke, smoke and lot of smoke. #5: Bypass bunkers don't waste your time on these pest smoke them and move on. Hope this helps you out. Tankhead

Tankhead

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 4
- 4/15/2001 10:09:00 AM   
victorhauser

I use lots of naval gunfire support (very narrow front, usually less than 5 hexes) to blow away most of the mines in my designated attack sector before my landing craft even get to the beach. That way my engineers can clear whatever is left very quickly and start moving inland. I never spend more than a turn or two messing around on the beach. "There are only two kinds of people on this beach. The dead, and those who are gonna be. Now, let's get moving!"

VAH

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 5
- 4/15/2001 10:23:00 AM   
Warrior

I always try to use naval guns on the beach while I'm coming in to give me an idea of where the mines are.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 6
- 4/15/2001 11:14:00 AM   
Flashfyre

Just finished the first battle of a US long campaign. Morrocco, so I'm up against Vichy French. Beach landing, and desert...no trees. Ok. Bought 2 engineer companies and 2 platoons of dozer tanks. Also BB, CA, and DD support, and gunboats. Looked at map, picked the best spot for beachhead (a draw between 2 hills), shelled it with all naval guns pre-invasion. Landed the engineers and dozers. DID NOT move anyone inland. Initial landings are safe....even if on a mine hex, no casualties occur. Next turn dropped smoke along both hills, and flanking landing craft. Engineers began discovering mines, stacked at least 2 squads and a dozer in each hex I wanted to clear, and kept my forces 15-20 hexes from beach. 5 turns (and multiple shellings of the hills) later, had cleared half a dozen paths thru the fields. Began landing troops and tanks, with engineers advancing forward. By Turn 8, all forces on the beach, deployments to flank the defense line begun, AND NOT A SINGLE UNIT CASUALTY during the whole time. :D Oh..forgot to mention the 12 B-17 bomber flights that hit the defense line during the pre-invasion landing. Many casualties amongst the French Legionnaires.... :eek: So, yes, it can be done. A beach landing is one of the few types of battles that require the Three P's.....Planning, Patience, and Purpose. Plan the assault before you place units, Patience while the beach is secured and the landings occur, and remember the Purpose-to safely assemble your forces while limiting the enemy's ability to attack them.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 7
- 4/16/2001 12:19:00 AM   
vbmark

Thanks to everyone who replied. I now have hope! I'm going to use this new knowledge and try again! Thanks. :)

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 8
- 4/16/2001 6:44:00 PM   
panda124c

B-17 are wonderful for pre invasion bombardment. Buy company or two of engineers (+10 Exp platoons are +0 exp.) lots of smoke, lots of 16" guns. Stack engineer one platoon per hex, with one section of engineer tanks. First wave at least two turn behind enginees. First turn B-17, then lots of smoke, buy B-17 before artillary. then walk 16" guns from the waters edge back move them two hexes each turn untill the engineer land.

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 9
- 4/16/2001 8:02:00 PM   
JTGEN

Artillery is good at mines. But only if it's 8in or higher, but also 150mm will bring out the mine hexes. Personally I prefer taking 2-3 points where I put lots of pressure and break through the defence line.

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 10
- 4/17/2001 2:13:00 AM   
Paul Goodman

My experience has been (for any form of assault) against the AI, that the first and last hex is not mined! It takes so long to clear the mines that its faster to push everything thru the single opening. Of course, that goes to hell in a handbasket if air attacks start up. I just did Omaha Beach in a long campaign and it was the same there. Paul

(in reply to vbmark)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Ahhhh! What's the deal? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI