Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tracking down legendary pirates

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tracking down legendary pirates Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tracking down legendary pirates - 7/28/2015 10:11:22 PM   
Lyoncet

I'm currently running a game on a small (400 systems I think) galaxy with Legends events enabled. I just had two legendary pirate factions spawn at once, and while it seems like I've moved in enough warships to keep them away from my territory, I'm at a loss for tracking them down. I've explored the whole galaxy since it's pretty small, so it seems automating my scouts doesn't do anything. Is there any way of tracking them down other than going system-by-system or sweeping the whole area with long-range scanners?
Post #: 1
RE: Tracking down legendary pirates - 7/29/2015 12:08:21 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

They usually mention the name of the system they emerge in, but with no search feature the manual labor to locate it can be excessive.

-Send Spies to steal their Operations Maps.

-Build a set of scouts with Long Range Scanners that you move in an overlapping grid around any suspect areas. Then watch the courses of ships in flight for the various factions to track them back to cluster points. Where ship tracks cross there will likely be a base/supply point deserving of immediate attention. As few as 4 LRS Scouts in a 2x2, but preferably more like 16 in a 4x4.

(in reply to Lyoncet)
Post #: 2
RE: Tracking down legendary pirates - 7/29/2015 12:28:14 AM   
Lyoncet

Oh yeah, stealing the ops map is a really good idea. Thanks! :)

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Tracking down legendary pirates - 7/29/2015 5:25:29 PM   
DeadlyShoe

There's a flaw in the game that lets you locate legendary pirates just by clicking on systems and seeing if their port shows up in the box on the lower left. You can usually figure out their rough operational area by observing them, then its just a matter of guesswork.

(in reply to Lyoncet)
Post #: 4
RE: Tracking down legendary pirates - 7/29/2015 9:11:18 PM   
Bingeling

In addition, the base is on a fuel source. Either caslon or hydrogen. It narrows down the possibly systems if you got a rough bearing.

If the galaxy is somewhat well settled, there is a limited number of "free fuel locations" to choose between.

Also, if you see where they arrive from or leave to, it is either a new target or a base/refueling stop. Dead reckoning works.

(in reply to DeadlyShoe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tracking down legendary pirates Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI