Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Windows 10 due next month

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Windows 10 due next month Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/29/2015 9:06:59 PM   
Numdydar

I still play some old Dos games on my Win 7 PC so why can't you play Win95 ones? I can play the original Battle for Normandy on my Win 7 as an example.

You can always set up a Virtual Machine (you can get VM software for free) and load Win 95 on it. So there are many ways you can still play the old ones if you want. But for the most part the horrible graphics compared to todays standards just cannot make up for even great gameplay So I still have them around, but for the most part have moved on.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 7/29/2015 10:12:47 PM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 31
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/29/2015 9:30:46 PM   
Numdydar

Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop to Win 10 Pro and everything when fantastically smooth. All my games worked just fine, including AE and tracker Obviously ymmv

Given that success, I upgraded my wife's PC from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home to see if it would solve some issues she was having with Win 8. And the upgrade again went surprisingly well while also fixing her issues. Did not even have to do a clean install

I did find some surprising facts out along the way though.
- The free upgrade is just that. An upgrade. You HAVE to do an upgrade to Win 10 on a PC BEFORE you can get a WIn 10 license key. Once you do the upgrade THEN you can get the license key by using a built in app and use the newly generated Win 10 key to do a clean install if needed. Or if you need to reinstall Win 10 later on.
- This means that you CANNOT use a USB/ISO image to install Win 10 UNLESS you actually buy a Win 10 license. Or copy the key that was generated from above.
- Nor can you use a Win 7/8 license to install Win 10
- If you upgrade an OEM version of Windows (like what are pre-installed on laptops) the generated Win 10 key will ONLY work on that device.
- if for some reason your computer dies and you did not copy the Win 10 key after the upgrade, you will either need to a) reinstall Win 7/8 and then you can upgrade for free to Win 10 again or b) buy a Win 10 license

After my experiences, I see no reason not to upgrade. Everything on two computers worked perfectly, Steam, Office 2010 (including Outlook), various games. All hardware was auto discovered and worked. It even found all my networked drives and assigned the same drive mapping. The only exception is I had to reinstall my networked printer on both the laptop and PC. But I expected that so I do not consider that a failure of the upgrade.

I hope this help with some of the doubts that were expressed here. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 7/29/2015 10:34:10 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 32
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/29/2015 11:52:14 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Haven't tried that Bill.

I'll see if it works tonight.

It would be a viable work-around for using it at home, but I really don't want to have to lug around an extra keyboard with me to be able to use it on the go.

If you can get some kind of keyboard working, you might be able to do some of the other things to get the other driver working. For one of my computers I don't have a lot of desk space so I got a mini-keyboard. It's a little over a foot long. A friend had the keyboard on her laptop die and got one of those. It's smaller than the laptop so doesn't take up much room in her bag.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 33
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 4:42:52 AM   
koniu

Numdydar how did You force to upgrade trough Windows Upgrade.
My machine still not showing W10.

I already see on my C: drive 7GB folder with preloaded windows 10 files but WU not showing any upgrades available. Also if i open that windows app that is in Windows tray(the same where i reserved windows 10) i only have info that i will be informed when installation will be ready

PS. Most important is that WITPAE is working.

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 34
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 5:55:22 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: koniu

Numdydar how did You force to upgrade trough Windows Upgrade.
My machine still not showing W10.

I already see on my C: drive 7GB folder with preloaded windows 10 files but WU not showing any upgrades available. Also if i open that windows app that is in Windows tray(the same where i reserved windows 10) i only have info that i will be informed when installation will be ready

PS. Most important is that WITPAE is working.

Here, you can cut in line. Microsoft has the download on line. Just pick the right version, download it either to an ISO (to burn a DVD) or to a flash drive (need 4GB available).
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Most likely you want 64 bit Home. Note that the 'Home N' versions are for countries where they have to make it available without any of the media stuff. If your computer is 32 bit then of course get the 32 bit Home version. The Pro versions are only for upgrading from a Pro or Ultimate version. See this article if you are confused about which version you can upgrade to for free.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3887/windows-10-upgrade-matrix-which-version-you-get-for-free

If you don't know your Product Key (basically your Windows serial #), you can download this little utility and use it to get your key (and save the output to a .txt file). This is very easy to use. Download the version in a .zip; extract it; run the .exe and it will open in a window with the Product key already found and displayed.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 35
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 12:17:24 PM   
wegman58

I saw this today:

Microsoft’s new ‘privacy’ policy.

from

<https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/>

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.

It seems pretty clear that people who harbor controversial views should probably give Windows 10 a pass. Else the Social Justice Warriors who’re rife in large corporations like Microsoft will report them to the relevant authorities for public shaming and attitude adjustment.

And of course, there’s no risk that this information would ever be compromised by, say, hackers and sold to the highest bidder. None whatsoever.

How comfortable are you now writing your new novel manuscript on Windows 10, sir?

—————————————

Roland Dobbins

Not very, but fortunately I don’t have anything on Windows 10 machines that isn’t open. It is disturbing. All your thoughts are belong to me…

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 36
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 12:26:31 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

I still hate the fact that I can no longer play any of my old Win95 games.

+1

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 37
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 12:34:02 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncivil Engineer

quote:

I still hate the fact that I can no longer play any of my old Win95 games.

+1

+2

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 38
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 2:06:48 PM   
Numdydar

For all you people complaining about the 'good old days' why not actually do something about it?

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208008

If you do not have the games any more, you can easily find them as free (usually) downloads from a variety of legit places

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 39
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 3:07:54 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I still play some old Dos games on my Win 7 PC so why can't you play Win95 ones? I can play the original Battle for Normandy on my Win 7 as an example.

You can always set up a Virtual Machine (you can get VM software for free) and load Win 95 on it. So there are many ways you can still play the old ones if you want. But for the most part the horrible graphics compared to todays standards just cannot make up for even great gameplay So I still have them around, but for the most part have moved on.

Because I don't have an internet connection at home to download all the goodies necessary to allow the Win95 games to even install on an XP or 7 machine.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/30/2015 4:09:04 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 40
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 3:13:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I saw this today:

Microsoft’s new ‘privacy’ policy.

from

<https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/>

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.

It seems pretty clear that people who harbor controversial views should probably give Windows 10 a pass. Else the Social Justice Warriors who’re rife in large corporations like Microsoft will report them to the relevant authorities for public shaming and attitude adjustment.

And of course, there’s no risk that this information would ever be compromised by, say, hackers and sold to the highest bidder. None whatsoever.

How comfortable are you now writing your new novel manuscript on Windows 10, sir?

—————————————

Roland Dobbins

Not very, but fortunately I don’t have anything on Windows 10 machines that isn’t open. It is disturbing. All your thoughts are belong to me…

Actually the same as all the other providers. It's the same as the way that Google, Amazon, and others targeted ads, relevant content in searches and so on. You can turn off the Microsoft options that share data. I have done so.

For those of you who might buy/have/upgrade to the Pro version to use Bitlocker (Microsoft's whole-disk encryption product), they note that the encryption key will be uploaded (I might have also seen this on Jerry Pournelle's site). If that's a concern maybe use something like VeraCrypt (successor to TrueCrypt) or some non-Microsoft commercial product.

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 41
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/30/2015 3:37:24 PM   
koniu

For all of those that want to upgrade trugh Windows Update and still don`t have upgrade available or have errors that block upgrade there is solution for that

This is fix for very common error 80240020(Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted), but if You dont have errors and just want to force upgrade - start from point two

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt (cmd) as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. (if not start automatically) Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

For me WITPAE run smoother than on 8.1, very close to Win 7 smoothness

< Message edited by koniu -- 7/30/2015 4:48:00 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 42
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 2:57:33 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:22:41 AM >

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 43
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 5:37:02 PM   
HansBolter

No joy on the Win10 upgrade. It failed to fix the dead keyboard on my laptop.

Now I'm waiting for online chat with MS support to see if there is anything that can be done to fix this piece of trash I wasted $350 on.

Been waiting for 2.5 hours now to get through to online chat support to get an answer for why installing a new OS did not replace my corrupted keyboard drivers.

Completely frustrated....ready to strangle Bill Gates.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/31/2015 8:48:20 PM >

Hans

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 44
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 8:00:36 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop to Win 10 Pro and everything when fantastically smooth. All my games worked just fine, including AE and tracker Obviously ymmv

Given that success, I upgraded my wife's PC from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Home to see if it would solve some issues she was having with Win 8. And the upgrade again went surprisingly well while also fixing her issues. Did not even have to do a clean install

I did find some surprising facts out along the way though.
- The free upgrade is just that. An upgrade. You HAVE to do an upgrade to Win 10 on a PC BEFORE you can get a WIn 10 license key. Once you do the upgrade THEN you can get the license key by using a built in app and use the newly generated Win 10 key to do a clean install if needed. Or if you need to reinstall Win 10 later on.
- This means that you CANNOT use a USB/ISO image to install Win 10 UNLESS you actually buy a Win 10 license. Or copy the key that was generated from above.
- Nor can you use a Win 7/8 license to install Win 10
- If you upgrade an OEM version of Windows (like what are pre-installed on laptops) the generated Win 10 key will ONLY work on that device.
- if for some reason your computer dies and you did not copy the Win 10 key after the upgrade, you will either need to a) reinstall Win 7/8 and then you can upgrade for free to Win 10 again or b) buy a Win 10 license

After my experiences, I see no reason not to upgrade. Everything on two computers worked perfectly, Steam, Office 2010 (including Outlook), various games. All hardware was auto discovered and worked. It even found all my networked drives and assigned the same drive mapping. The only exception is I had to reinstall my networked printer on both the laptop and PC. But I expected that so I do not consider that a failure of the upgrade.

I hope this help with some of the doubts that were expressed here. If anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to try and answer them.

Would you mind sharing your command line settings? I upgraded to Win 10 today as well and the game now takes forever to scroll.; Unplayable this way.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 45
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 8:02:31 PM   
HansBolter

The -DeepColor switch fixed this in Win8. Some one confirmed in the tech forum that it works in 10 as well.

Check spelling on the switch as the case matters and I may not have it correct.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/31/2015 9:17:16 PM >

Hans

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 46
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 8:16:58 PM   
witpqs

-SingleCpuOrders might help too.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 47
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 8:45:49 PM   
Ormbane

Turns out that for my rig the winner was -dd_sw. Works very fast now. Thanks for all suggestions

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 48
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 9:49:59 PM   
tocaff

I'm into my second day with 10 after having 7 and 8.1 machines. I'm liking it lots and the game runs fine. I now have to upgrade the 8.1 machine.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 49
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 7/31/2015 11:00:43 PM   
Reg

quote:

No joy on the Win10 upgrade. It failed to fix the dead keyboard on my laptop.

Now I'm waiting for online chat with MS support to see if there is anything that can be done to fix this piece of trash I wasted $350 on.

Been waiting for 2.5 hours now to get through to online chat support to get an answer for why installing a new OS did not replace my corrupted keyboard drivers.

Completely frustrated....ready to strangle Bill Gates.

Have you tried a complete OS re-install???

(Upgrades may not necessary replace everything).

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 50
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/1/2015 10:12:23 PM   
stretch

I second this.... now that you have upgraded and received your license key, back everything up and do a clean install.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 51
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/2/2015 7:44:24 PM   
Footslogger

So here's my questions. How were you notified to get the download? When you get the download and upgraded, did you loose any data?

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 52
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/2/2015 11:27:00 PM   
tocaff

If you're not notified go to the MS site, don't remember where to give the links, and you can download it from there. The "invites" weren't available to me as I didn't show the icon on the bottom right of either machine.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 53
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/2/2015 11:49:14 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch

I second this.... now that you have upgraded and received your license key, back everything up and do a clean install.

I have nothing to reinstall. Laptops, at least this one, didn't come with an OS disk. That's why I was hoping 10 would be new install. Unfortunately, it was just an upgrade.

Hans

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 54
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 5:50:16 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

So here's my questions. How were you notified to get the download? When you get the download and upgraded, did you loose any data?

I don`t lose any data (all settings and installed programs are in place)

I force my upgrade (look up at post #42) but if You willing to wait, at some point You will have window pop up that will ask You if You want to upgrade to Windows 10.

< Message edited by koniu -- 8/3/2015 8:47:31 AM >

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 55
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 5:58:56 AM   
koniu

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: stretch

I have nothing to reinstall. Laptops, at least this one, didn't come with an OS disk. That's why I was hoping 10 would be new install. Unfortunately, it was just an upgrade.

You can download Windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft site and burn it on DVD.(link to side in Polish sadly)
https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/software-download/windows10ISO

If You already upgraded to windows 10 when You do clean install You will not even need to use Key to activate it. It will activate automatically if You only have active Internet connection (Windows 10 activation is bounded with Your Motherboard and is saved on Microsoft servers)

< Message edited by koniu -- 8/3/2015 6:59:28 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 56
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 6:01:39 AM   
wdolson

Corresponding US English link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

and Windows 8.1 link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

< Message edited by wdolson -- 8/3/2015 7:02:19 AM >

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 57
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 10:48:16 AM   
HansBolter

Thank guys.

I'll give it a try today.

Hans

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 58
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 2:21:11 PM   
treespider

Make sure to update your drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. Experinced some quirkiness with my Intel HD Graphics 4600 card that came installed on the new box I purchased a few weeks ago.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 59
RE: Windows 10 due next month - 8/3/2015 2:40:55 PM   
HansBolter

Latest update in the saga.

Tried everything suggested. No joy.

Finally decided to contact HP.

Turns out thinking it was software related and never bothering to contact HP has cost me dearly.

HP tells me it is likely a hardware problem, but I waited so long to contact them it is now out of warranty.

Could have had them fix it for free, but my tendency to ignore problems and let them lie has bitten me in the rear end again.

HP will ship me a replacement top cover with keyboard for me to install myself for $66.11+tax+shipping.

Now I have to decide if it is worth investing another $80 or so in a laptop I paid $329+tax for.

Hans

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Windows 10 due next month Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI