Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Other kind of hit

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Other kind of hit Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Other kind of hit - 4/16/2001 10:41:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

Hi ! Do you know if was/is possible to destroy a tank by hit with a large HE shell by break apart his turret ring (killing the turret crew members) ? I read some stories about WWII but after ''confruntation'' with somebody on forum I just I don't know about this ! It was really possible or not ? If it is, in which form the game simulate this (if doing this, of course, maybe not !). Thank you. Leo.

Post #: 1
- 4/16/2001 10:59:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I answered this on the other thread where you brought it up.

(in reply to Gavris Narcis)
Post #: 2
- 4/16/2001 10:22:00 PM   
Supervisor

A lot of good ideas thrown around out here. Here's my 2 cents. Spread the word on other forums. Don't just assume that people are aware of what great work is going on here. I regularly visit 2 other forums & always post info on new Matrix games there. In our hobby, word-of mouth carries great weight. I REALLY like the idea of hats. Not much of a t-shirt person.

Post #: 3
- 4/16/2001 10:52:00 PM   
KG Erwin

I agree with you 100% on that, Al. You may have seen me on a few of the Wargamer forum topics. I even posted a plug for SPWaW on the Age of Kings Heaven forum a while back. "Have you heard the news, there's good gaming tonight", to slightly alter one of my favorite 50s rockers.

Post #: 4
- 4/16/2001 10:56:00 PM   
Viriato

hello all , has far has I know a large sized HE shell can on a direct hit and dependind on how far it is , simply knock out or even tear up the armour of AFVs thus destroing it.

A sorte protege os audazes

Post #: 5
- 4/17/2001 10:35:00 AM   
Gavris Narcis

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: I answered this on the other thread where you brought it up.
I know you answered on the other thread but ''foggy'' for me. Only I ''succeed'' to know on this, is that you don't believe that it is possible to destroy a tank by an HE shell (force from cinetic energy + force of explosion) who hit the turret and cause this to be breaked apart from hull ! Especially true for medium tank it was indeed a real event !! The tank was ''wipped out of service'' because the crewmembers inside the turret where all killed in this situation ! It survives only the driver and only when this has place in hull not in turret ! But in most those cases even the driver was killed because of the explosion of the ammo when the turret was breaked !!! Of course, it was exceptions, but a few ones !! Leo.

Post #: 6
- 4/17/2001 11:35:00 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello... A non-penetrating hit on the turret ring by a large HE round can destroy a tank in SPWAW. Hope this Helps... Michael Wood ___________________________________________
quote:

Originally posted by Gavris Narcis: I know you answered on the other thread but ''foggy'' for me. Only I ''succeed'' to know on this, is that you don't believe that it is possible to destroy a tank by an HE shell (force from cinetic energy + force of explosion) who hit the turret and cause this to be breaked apart from hull ! Especially true for medium tank it was indeed a real event !! The tank was ''wipped out of service'' because the crewmembers inside the turret where all killed in this situation ! It survives only the driver and only when this has place in hull not in turret ! But in most those cases even the driver was killed because of the explosion of the ammo when the turret was breaked !!! Of course, it was exceptions, but a few ones !! Leo.

Post #: 7
- 4/17/2001 11:21:00 PM   
murx

I had indeed a hit from a 75mm HE shell from a PzIVe against a H-39. The message was something like 'Turret ring hit - tank destroyed' So it is possible in the game to destroy a tank that way. But it only happened once while playing yet. (Version 4.5) murx

Post #: 8
- 4/18/2001 2:57:00 AM   
Grimm

Knocked out a Matilda once in the desert w/ a 150mm HE round. About the only way I could kill the things! :p

Its what you do
and not what you say
If you're not part of the future
then get out of the way

Post #: 9
- 4/18/2001 4:12:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

It happened in real life, and it happens in the game! THe latest build has a revised HEAT and HE penetration function that now accounts in a general way for teh kinetic energy portion of an HE rounds penetrting ability, so they will be more dangerous up close. So you should see this more often in ver 5 (Big HE blowing things up real good) HEAT now will tend to have a penetration closer to its max (usually within 20% +/- but it can go a low as 60% and if it gets "tipped" or tumbles in flight it will not be oriented properly at impact and do much worse.

Post #: 10
- 4/18/2001 6:26:00 PM   
Gallo Rojo

I have read that Otto Carius (a tanker from 502th SchPzAbt) destroyed a T-34 at 200mts using HE shell with delayed fuse after running out of AP ammos. I think that he shouted it over T-34’s grill.

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

Post #: 11
- 4/20/2001 7:12:00 AM   
Larry Smith

While the administators have replied, I thought I'd add my $.02 worth. While a turret ring hit, by any round with sufficient effective penetration should disable (if not kill) a tank (by jamming the turret traverse gears-it is a very delicate mechanism, when compared to the tank itself), an HE non-penetrating hit can KO a tank if the round has sufficient explosive power. The concussion is transmitted through the armour, killing or incapacitating the crew. Smaller HE hits can have the same effect hitting tanks that are not buttoned up. Open topped vehicles are even more vulnerable. Eg: loaded halftrack hit by grenade is not adversely effected, but occupants bail out with very high suppression-explosions in enclosed areas have a magnified effect. This is why grenades can be very effective VS entrenchments, troops in buildings, pillboxes, etc.. The concussion echoes off the walls, and adds to itself. Getting back to tanks, HE hits that do not penetrate can cause spalling (the interior surface breaks off and flies about just like shrapnel)-hence, the HEP round that the British Army still uses to this day. All this has most likely been taken into account in the game's engine. I hope this helps you, Gavris! :D

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Other kind of hit Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI