Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 7/31/2015 10:34:49 AM   
simcityrefund

will follow as noob to a noob you are doing great for such a complex games and people give up wacthing heart of iron 3 oob list they clearly have not seen matrixgames such as WITP

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 31
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/1/2015 3:29:33 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: ifailmore

will follow as noob to a noob you are doing great for such a complex games and people give up wacthing heart of iron 3 oob list they clearly have not seen matrixgames such as WITP

Welcome to the thread ifailmore!

Yeah this game is quite complex, but its much more manageable with all the info & advice on these forums. I started with a smaller scenario (Guadacanal) to learn the mechanics, and then once I finished that and felt comfortable, I made the jump to the grand daddy of them all. I think if I had to do it over, I would probably do the Marianas scenario before doing the GC (look @ the great post by BBFanboy earlier in the thread, he explains it very well), but whatever path you take, make sure you use this forum as a resource, people here explain things better than any manual ever could.

You say we're surrounded?
Excellent!
That means we can attack in any direction.

(in reply to simcityrefund)
Post #: 32
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/2/2015 8:56:38 PM   
Schlussel

Week 5: Jan. 6th – Jan. 12th 1942

North Pacific: Quiet [Insert cricket chirping here]

Central Pacific: IJN Carrier Task Force raids Midway again, shooting down a good number of my outdated Buffalo fighters. If I plan on using Midway as a forward sub base, this problem needs to be addressed. I’ve identifed a few squadrons of P-36’s at Pearl that may help stop the bleeding. In the meantime, I’ll keep my sub tenders in Hawaii untill I’m sure Midway can properly defend itself.
My 3 Carriers have re-supplied in Pearl Harbor. I send them south to check out Baker Island. My plan afterwards is to raid Tarawa, then continue southwest and support base building & reinforcing operations in the Coral Sea.

Southern Pacific: Base building on Baker and Canton islands continue. A PBY squadron is transferred to Baker to search for a potential invasion fleet.

New Guinea/Solomons: Early in the week, Rabaul and Madang are invaded by sea. A squadron of Banshee dive bombers operating out of Port Moresby does some damage to the Madang invasion fleet, but the bulk of the forces land and capture the base. Rabaul is holding out, but a second IJN amphib TF is spotted unloading more troops. The port’s days as an Allied base are numbered.
Base facilities at Noumea and Port Moresby are coming along, slow but steady.

DEI/Phillippines:
In the DEI, IJN lands @ Morotai and quickly captures the base.
In the Phillipines, the IJA captures Manilla, but most of my forces had already retreated to Bataan. Now the American strongholds of Clark Field and Bataan are all that remain on Luzon. Daily bombing of Clark Field and Bataan.

SE Asia/China: IJN is working its way south towards Singapore, and are now assaulting Johore Bharu, my forces there are holding out, for now.
Burma is mostly quiet, exept for daily air raids on Rangoon.
Sporadic fighting in China.

Notable Base Captures:
-Madang [New Guinea] captured by Japan (1/6)
-Maylaybay [Phillippines] captured by Japan (1/7)
-Manilla [Phillippines] captured by Japan (1/8)
-Morotai [Moluccas] captured by Japan (1/9)

Campaign Overview:
Aircraft Losses to date [change]:
Japanese: 427 [+95]
Allies: 311 [+43]

Ship Losses to date [change]:
Japanese: 33 [+9] Notables: CVL Zuiho, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya
Allies: 103 [+6] Notables: CL Durban

VP Totals [change]:
Japanese: 5,393 [+1,114]
Allies: 10,528 [-684]

Other Notes:
-Looks like the IJN sub threat has temporarily subsided…though they’re probably just re-arming.
-This week saw an 1,800 VP point swing in favor of Japan. Half of that was due to the loss of Manilla.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 33
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/3/2015 1:50:48 AM   
BBfanboy

You can extend the time on station for your subs by doing one of two things:
- don't assign a big patrol zone that the sub has to constantly move to patrol. Pick a choke point and put the sub in a one-hex patrol zone and it will use almost no fuel once it is there.
- if you want a patrol zone of more hexes, use the switches to have it spend a day or three in each corner of the patrol zone. Not moving saves fuel. If the corners are well chosen he will come to you!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 34
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/4/2015 2:08:06 AM   
BillSirKill

As a noob myself.. just want to thank you and the contributors to your AAR... very infomative. Will keep following your progress. I started my own GC.. it is daunting.. but i am determined!!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 35
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/4/2015 4:54:44 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You can extend the time on station for your subs by doing one of two things:
- don't assign a big patrol zone that the sub has to constantly move to patrol. Pick a choke point and put the sub in a one-hex patrol zone and it will use almost no fuel once it is there.
- if you want a patrol zone of more hexes, use the switches to have it spend a day or three in each corner of the patrol zone. Not moving saves fuel. If the corners are well chosen he will come to you!

Good points. In your experience, are subs useful for for scouting before offensive operations? Not that I can launch anything offensive right now...just planning ahead.

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/4/2015 5:12:09 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillSirKill

As a noob myself.. just want to thank you and the contributors to your AAR... very infomative. Will keep following your progress. I started my own GC.. it is daunting.. but i am determined!!

Welcome BillSirKill!

Thank you for the kind words, I am lucky to have some of the forum veterans commenting on my AAR...their advice has already helped me immensely. Plus, if it wasn't for them my AAR thread would just be a bunch of my boring status reports.

Good luck with your GC, may the pixelated war gods look favorably upon you.

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 8/4/2015 6:15:00 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to BillSirKill)
Post #: 37
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/4/2015 6:19:22 PM   
BBfanboy

Subs as scouts are very hit-or-miss, especially before they get radar. Visual range for a sub in good weather is about 11 miles, or a 22 mile diameter circle. The hex is 40 miles across. Add in weather or night and the odds of enemy TFs not being seen are better than 60% (rough estimate, not based on stats in game). A couple of sub TFs in the same hex at a choke point improve the odds of spotting something. Picket ships are better scouts than subs are.

One thing you can get from your subs is an indication of enemy aircraft in the area. Roll your cursor over the sub TF each turn and look for any Detection Level (D/L). If nothing is showing the sub is undetected. A low D/L like 1/1 might indicate the enemy has detected radio signals or perhaps an aircraft spotted an oil slick in the sub hex. If it suddenly jumps to 10/10, there is likely a carrier TF nearby with several patrolling aircraft picking up the sub. When this happens all vulnerable ships within about 25 hexes should head for safety.

Subs with working torps like the USN S# boats and the Dutch and British ones should be hunting ships to sink. The USN subs without good torpedoes can lay some mines in his ports or channels with shallow water, or sometimes players group them in a large TF and haul supplies to isolated troops to help them fight longer. Delaying Japanese victories helps the Allies limit their expansion.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 38
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/5/2015 1:17:00 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

Subs as scouts are very hit-or-miss, especially before they get radar. Visual range for a sub in good weather is about 11 miles, or a 22 mile diameter circle. The hex is 40 miles across. Add in weather or night and the odds of enemy TFs not being seen are better than 60% (rough estimate, not based on stats in game). A couple of sub TFs in the same hex at a choke point improve the odds of spotting something. Picket ships are better scouts than subs are.

One thing you can get from your subs is an indication of enemy aircraft in the area. Roll your cursor over the sub TF each turn and look for any Detection Level (D/L). If nothing is showing the sub is undetected. A low D/L like 1/1 might indicate the enemy has detected radio signals or perhaps an aircraft spotted an oil slick in the sub hex. If it suddenly jumps to 10/10, there is likely a carrier TF nearby with several patrolling aircraft picking up the sub. When this happens all vulnerable ships within about 25 hexes should head for safety.

Subs with working torps like the USN S# boats and the Dutch and British ones should be hunting ships to sink. The USN subs without good torpedoes can lay some mines in his ports or channels with shallow water, or sometimes players group them in a large TF and haul supplies to isolated troops to help them fight longer. Delaying Japanese victories helps the Allies limit their expansion.

Good stuff! This is one of the things I like most about this game, you have to put together pieces of incomplete info to get a picture of what enemy strength you face...and even then its just guesstimating. I assume that's what it was like for the actual commanders.

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/5/2015 1:21:08 PM   
Schlussel

Week 6: Jan. 13th – Jan. 19th 1942

Central Pacific: Yorktown arrives from San Diego and shuttles a squadron of P-36’s from Pearl Harbor to Midway. IJN nowhere to be seen.

Southern Pacific: Base building on Baker and Canton islands continue.
My 3 CV’s raid Tarawa and Makin, sinking 5 AK’s and some small patrol boats. They then continue to the Coral Sea where more action ensues (see New Guinea/Solomons below).
Later in the week, an IJN surface task force shows up and sinks a few transports near Baker Island. I scatter other transports in the area, but otherwise do nothing. No invasion fleet spotted and all my air task forces are busy.

New Guinea/Solomons: Rabaul finally falls. Airfield damage is in the upper 90’s, so it will be awhile before they can operate aircraft out of them…a prime raid target. After raiding Tarawa and Makin, my CV task force enters the Coral Sea near Lunga and intercepts a small IJN convoy (2 AK’s) near Rennel Island. Not sure where it was headed, but I made sure they found their way to the ocean floor. From there my CV’s moved north, hitting another small convoy (3 AK’s) near Shortlands before raiding Rabaul. The Rabaul raid went very well, 6 confirmed transport sinkings, 9 others heavily damaged, and 1,500 reported ground casualties... all at the cost of a single damaged Dauntless DB. With all the success, I am considering one more raid before turning back to Noumea for resupply.
Banshee DB’s are feasting on a steady diet of unarmed merchant ships supplying Madang. Their accuracy is low, but all it takes is a few bomb hits to sink a small IJN merchie.
Base facilities at Noumea and Port Moresby are coming along, slow but steady. Lunga, Rossel Island, and Espiritu Santo are occupied, and engineers begin base building activities.

DEI/Phillippines:
Clark Field under constant ground attack, but is holding its own for the time being. Daily bombing of Clark Field and Bataan.
The rest of the Phillippines are being mopped up Japanese forces. With no air cover, there is little I can do to resupply/reinforce/evacuate my ground units.
In DEI, IJN lands and assaults Ambon and Makassar, Ambon had a CD unit and does some damage to the IJN amphib ships, but only delays the inevitable.

SE Asia/China: IJN is working its way south towards Singapore, and continuing to assault Johore Bharu, my forces there are holding out, but the fort level is now zero.
My bypassed forces at Kuantan are attacked and surrender.

Notable Base Captures:
-Rabaul [New Britian] captured by Japan (1/13)
-Namlea [DEI], Ocean Island [Gilberts], and Tarakan [Borneo] captured by Japan (1/14)
-Nauru Island [Gilberts] captured by Japan (1/17)
-Kuantan [Maylasia] and Butuan (not Bataan!) [Phillippines] captured by Japan (1/18)
-Manado [Moluccas] captured by Japan (1/19)

Campaign Overview:
Aircraft Losses to date (change]:
Japanese: 477 [+50]
Allies: 343 [+32]

Japanese: 45 [+12] Notables: CVL Zuiho, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya
Allies: 105 [+2] Notables: CL Durban

VP Totals [change]:
Japanese: 5,795 [+402]
Allies: 10,752 [+224]

Other Notes:
-IJN sub activity has really cooled off….calm before the storm?
-IJN task force near Baker Island did a little damage, but it made me realize how unprotected my US-Austrailia supply line really is. I’ll be using some surface forces to rectify this. Also, transferring some airpower south to Johnston and Baker Islands.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 40
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/5/2015 4:35:30 PM   
BBfanboy

Staying one more day for less than six damaged xAKs (some likely sank after the battle) is only a good idea if you have a good picture of the surrounding oceans. The AI normally sends some powerful ships to be based at Truk, including possibly the KB. It is only 14 hexes to Rabaul and Kb without Kaga can sprint 20. You should have at least a picket DD out that direction , and be sure to move your carriers a few hexes or the AI will zero in with some of those missing subs.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 41
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/6/2015 5:03:41 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

Staying one more day for less than six damaged xAKs (some likely sank after the battle) is only a good idea if you have a good picture of the surrounding oceans. The AI normally sends some powerful ships to be based at Truk, including possibly the KB. It is only 14 hexes to Rabaul and Kb without Kaga can sprint 20. You should have at least a picket DD out that direction , and be sure to move your carriers a few hexes or the AI will zero in with some of those missing subs.

Good point, and seeing as I am out of PBY coverage, I'll heed your advice and head back to port for now. In these early months of the war, I need to think like a boxer fighting a superior opponent, jab and move jab and move...

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 8/6/2015 6:05:53 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 42
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/8/2015 4:30:19 AM   
Schlussel

Week 7: Jan. 20th – Jan. 26th 1942

Central Pacific: Two more (100+ bomber) Carrier raids on Midway. Number of enemy CV’s reported by my PBY’s are all over the place (#’s ranged from 1-6). No transports are reported, so the immediate danger is low. Plus I’ve got a good sized garrison (right at the 6K threshold) that’s been fortifying its position since the war’s outbreak, and I recently added an AA unit as well. The bad news is my fighter CAP on Midway is down to 4 working planes. Since a direct confrontation is out of the question right now, I’m hoping my actions in the Coral Sea will draw the IJN CV’s attention.

A small IJN amphibious TF raids Baker Island. This must have been a raid, or the invaders underestimated the garrison, as they were thrown back into the sea rather easily. Later in the week, one of my Surface Combat TF's arrives in the vicinity and scares off a second IJN amphib. TF.

New Guinea/Solomons: Heeding some good advice, I decide to withdraw my CV task force near Rabaul without launching another attack, and it pays off handsomely…but not how I expected. As I was heading south, a Japanese CVE task force showed up from the North-East, and launched a small attack against my CV’s. The attack was weak sauce and was easily chewed up by Wildcats flying CAP. My CV’s responded with attacks of their own, and heavily damaged both IJN CVE’s (Taiyo-4 Bomb Hits and Hosho-5 Bomb Hits). No confirmed sinkings but afterwards my search planes couldn’t find the carriers… and I noticed Rabaul had an influx of fighter aircraft. Although I would love to confirm the sinkings, I didn’t want to wait around in case IJN Fleet carriers were also in the area. I bravely ran away, so that I may fight another day.

DEI/Phillippines: Clark Field is under constant ground attack, but the troops there are fighting valiantly against the determined IJA assaults. The main issue right now is the dwindling of my supply reserves @ Clark/Bataan. With daily bombings and ground combat, those reserves will only shrink faster.
The rest of the Phillippines are being mopped up Japanese forces. With no air cover, there is little I can do but watch.
In DEI, IJN lands in North Borneo and Celebes. Dutch units fight bravely, but their fate was sealed the first week of the war, when I decided to evacuate all ships from the area.

SE Asia/China: IJA is working its way south towards Singapore. Mid-week, lead Japanese elements reached the city and immediately launched a shock attack. Casualties were high for the Japanese, and they switched to bombardment attacks for the remainder of the week.

Notable Base Captures:
-Johore Bahru [Malya] captured by Japan (1/23)
-Makassar [DEI] captured by Japan (1/24)
-Miri [Borneo] captured by Japan (1/25)
-Dadjangas [Phillippines] captured by Japan (1/26)

Campaign Overview:
Japanese: 576 [+99]
Allies: 420 [+77]

Japanese: 75 [+30] Notables: CVL Zuiho, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya. 2 CVE’s are
assumed sunk, but not confirmed yet.
Allies: 108 [+3] Notables: CL Durban

VP Totals [change]:
Japanese: 6,274 [+479]
Allies: 12,259 [+1,507]

Other Notes:
-The Rabaul raid was fruitful, but that CVE TF appeared too suddenly, if those were fleet carriers, I could have been toast. Me thinks I should stay away from areas without friendly land based PBY coverage for now…I got lucky this time.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 43
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/11/2015 6:17:46 AM   
Schlussel

Week 8: Jan. 27th – Feb. 1st 1942

Central Pacific: Two IJN Cruisers appear south of Midway and are attacked by my Dauntless DB’s based at the island. They are both hit with a few bombs, but retreat before they can be finished off.

A few light IJN surface forces are spotted near Baker and Canton Islands. One enemy TF bombards Baker, but vanishes as quickly as it appears. Possibly a pre-invasion scouting force?

New Guinea/Solomons: Kavieng is invaded and captured by the IJN. Early in the week, an enemy surface force (CA’s and DD’s) appear SE of Port Moresby but disappears the following day.
Japan begins bombing Port Moresby, mostly focusing on the Tankers/AK’s offloading supplies & fuel. I transfer a squadron of P-40s from Australia to counter the new threat, but not before a tanker is sunk. Looks like Rabaul’s airfield is now operational.

DEI/Phillippines:
Clark Field still under constant ground attack, but is holding its own for the time being. Daily bombing of Clark Field and Bataan.
The rest of the Phillippines are being mopped up Japanese forces. With no air cover, there is little I can do but watch.
The situation in the DEI is similar, Japan is knocking off bases, one-by-one.

SE Asia/China: IJN is hammering Singapore from both the ground and air. Fort Levels are down from 2 to 1. The one bright spot was when a few IJN cruisers tried a night bombardment, and recieved a few costal artillery shells in their superstructures for their efforts.
In Burma, the IJA advance looks to be in full swing, approximately 50k troops quickly overrun Moulmein and Pegu and now the Japanese force is marching on Rangoon. I have a sizeable force waiting in the city, but being outflanked is a definate worry. I send a few units to Prome to upgrade fortifications and guard my escape route.

Notable Base Captures:
-Kavieng [New Britain] captured by Japan (1/29)
-Moulmein [Burma] captured by Japan (1/31)
-Kendari [Celebes] captured by Japan (2/1)

Campaign Overview:
Japanese: 687 [+111]
Allies: 449 [+29]

Japanese: 77 [+2] Notables: CVL Zuiho, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya. 2 CVE’s are
Allies: 108 [+0] Notables: CL Durban

VP Totals [change]:
Japanese: 6,274 [+211]
Allies: 12,785 [+526]

Other Notes:
- In Burma, I relocated the three AVG air squadrons from Toungoo. One to Rangoon, one to China (Changsha), and one to Mandalay. The Rangoon and Chinese squadrons are having a field day on unescorted bomber raids. As in the past, I’m sure the Japanese will soon start escorting these bombers, but at least they will be reacting to me for a change.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 44
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/11/2015 6:25:38 AM   
Schlussel

Allied Situation Report

Attachment (1)

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 45
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/11/2015 11:53:45 AM   
BBfanboy

About your escape route in Burma: - with command of the seas the IJN normally will land troops directly at Akyab and Cox's Bazar, cutting off the coastal route. I am not sure if the AI will do this or not. At any rate, movement on the coastal dirt road is slow and the IJA tanks will catch up with your troops and massacre them since they have few A/T weapons in 1942.

Most Allied players wanting to save those units in Burma will withdraw via strat move through the interior to one of the bases close to the Kohima-Imphal line and march through the jungle. This puts them closer to a source of supply and gives a more even footing for battle as the IJA cannot move fast through jungle either. Be aware, though, that the bases along the rail and road lines from Calcutta to Imphal/Kohima must be built up for supply to begin flowing there in any amount. And this sector can be cut off by an aggressive Japanese attack on Calcutta, but I don't think the AI scripts will do that.

Anyway, you can certainly try what you want but with the hindsight of reading AARs for several years that seems to me to be the way the Burma situation plays out in 1942.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 46
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/13/2015 5:03:16 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

About your escape route in Burma: - with command of the seas the IJN normally will land troops directly at Akyab and Cox's Bazar, cutting off the coastal route. I am not sure if the AI will do this or not. At any rate, movement on the coastal dirt road is slow and the IJA tanks will catch up with your troops and massacre them since they have few A/T weapons in 1942.

Most Allied players wanting to save those units in Burma will withdraw via strat move through the interior to one of the bases close to the Kohima-Imphal line and march through the jungle. This puts them closer to a source of supply and gives a more even footing for battle as the IJA cannot move fast through jungle either. Be aware, though, that the bases along the rail and road lines from Calcutta to Imphal/Kohima must be built up for supply to begin flowing there in any amount. And this sector can be cut off by an aggressive Japanese attack on Calcutta, but I don't think the AI scripts will do that.

Anyway, you can certainly try what you want but with the hindsight of reading AARs for several years that seems to me to be the way the Burma situation plays out in 1942.

Good stuff as usual, thanks BBFanboy. The Burma/India border seems to be a natural defense line, no roads (except on the coast) and lots of mountainous jungle, an attacker's worst nightmare. I have had Indian engineer units building up Akyab and Cox's Bazaar as well as the Kohima/Imphal area, so that I can make a stand there. It sounds like this buildup will also help with the supply situation in Burma, that's what I call a win-win.
So now my dilemma is, how long do I stay in Rangoon? I want to delay the Japanese, but it could all be for naught if my LCU's can't make it back to India safely. I'm thinking I'll stay until I see that my escape route is threatened, then I'll beat a hasty retreat.

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/13/2015 5:22:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schlussel

quote:

Good stuff as usual, thanks BBFanboy. The Burma/India border seems to be a natural defense line, no roads (except on the coast) and lots of mountainous jungle, an attacker's worst nightmare. I have had Indian engineer units building up Akyab and Cox's Bazaar as well as the Kohima/Imphal area, so that I can make a stand there. It sounds like this buildup will also help with the supply situation in Burma, that's what I call a win-win.
So now my dilemma is, how long do I stay in Rangoon? I want to delay the Japanese, but it could all be for naught if my LCU's can't make it back to India safely. I'm thinking I'll stay until I see that my escape route is threatened, then I'll beat a hasty retreat.

One of the things a noob must learn is that the British and Commonwealth forces do not get replacements at a very good rate. The pools are "shallow" and it takes forever to bring a unit back up to strength if it gets mauled. You can "buy back" (with pp) a destroyed unit but it arrives with partial TOE, and low experience. It might take over a year to replace a division, depending on other drains on the pools.

This means that you need to fight where you can limit your losses (i.e. in good terrain or forts), OR, decide there are some units you can sacrifice and never worry about buying back. Look at some of the Ghurkha units which have practically no replacements coming into the pools. They could make a speed bump if they have forts and good leadership, and you won't miss them much when they are wiped out. Any of the other permanently (white) [Restricted] units are candidates for sacrifice. Keep your [Unrestricted] and units you can change to an unrestricted HQ well back and filling out until they are ready to stand against the IJA. They need good Leaders, some experience, good morale and new TOEs that include A/T weapons.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 48
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/13/2015 3:49:18 PM   
Schlussel

quote:

One of the things a noob must learn is

Is me being a noob THAT obvious?

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/13/2015 8:22:25 PM   
HansBolter

In games against the AI it boils down to where you want to make a stand and what you want to allow the AI to take or prevent it from taking.

It is very easy to prevent the AI from taking Burma altogether. You have to decide if you want to deny it to the AI or allow it to be taken.

If you deny the AI too much it breaks pretty quickly and the game becomes boring.

The AI will try amphibious assaults on the north Burma coast, however, it almost never brings sufficient air cover to protect it's invasion forces.

It's pretty easy to defeats it's invasion efforts one after another.

Aggressive placement of anti-shipping airpower and surface assets can deny the AI access to the upper Bay of Bengal.

Concentrating the 1st Burma division in the river crossing hex north of Moulmein and getting at least a brigade in each of the 4 adjoin river line hexes will stymie the AI.

It will avoid the river crossing and try to extend upward along the river looking for an unopposed crossing. Since it will be moving through heavy terrain with only a secondary road it is easy to keep extending the line until you have the river line completely manned all the way to China.

Concentrating the AVG and all available British air in Rangoon while shipping massive quantities of supply in will also precipitate many attempts by the AI to bomb your shipping giving the AVG a field day shooting down Oscar and Zeros that are handicapped by being tied to the bombers they are escorting.

Everything in an AI game comes down to how hard you want to press and where.

Hans

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 50
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/14/2015 5:45:58 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

In games against the AI it boils down to where you want to make a stand and what you want to allow the AI to take or prevent it from taking.

It is very easy to prevent the AI from taking Burma altogether. You have to decide if you want to deny it to the AI or allow it to be taken.

If you deny the AI too much it breaks pretty quickly and the game becomes boring.

The AI will try amphibious assaults on the north Burma coast, however, it almost never brings sufficient air cover to protect it's invasion forces.

It's pretty easy to defeats it's invasion efforts one after another.

Aggressive placement of anti-shipping airpower and surface assets can deny the AI access to the upper Bay of Bengal.

Concentrating the 1st Burma division in the river crossing hex north of Moulmein and getting at least a brigade in each of the 4 adjoin river line hexes will stymie the AI.

It will avoid the river crossing and try to extend upward along the river looking for an unopposed crossing. Since it will be moving through heavy terrain with only a secondary road it is easy to keep extending the line until you have the river line completely manned all the way to China.

Concentrating the AVG and all available British air in Rangoon while shipping massive quantities of supply in will also precipitate many attempts by the AI to bomb your shipping giving the AVG a field day shooting down Oscar and Zeros that are handicapped by being tied to the bombers they are escorting.

Everything in an AI game comes down to how hard you want to press and where.

Spot on Hans. Even though this AI is pretty darn good, looks like it does have its limitations.

I have been somewhat cautious as the Allies so far. I guess I am doing a bit of role-playing and pretending not to know what I actually know, since I have the advantage of hindsight, and being aware of what the Japanese did (and just as important, what they didn't do) in the actual war. I'll continue to be cautious and not go all Ivan Drago and break the AI while it attempts to conquer what Japan did historically. However, once I am on the offensive, I will be much more aggressive, since I assume the AI is much more adept at defense.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Schlussel -- 8/15/2015 6:06:27 AM >

Excellent!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 51
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/14/2015 3:12:06 PM   
Schlussel

Week 9: Feb. 2nd – Feb. 8th 1942

Central Pacific: Another Japanese CV raid on Midway. This time it surprises a TF unloading supply in port, sinking all 4 xAK’s and an escorting destroyer. The attack was launched from maximum range, so I had no warning...so far my diversion in the Solomons hasn't had its intended effect.

The IJN lands @ Baker Island again, but my beefed up island garrison holds them off. The attackers retreat back to their ships, but it looks like they are serious about taking that island. I order up a surface TF from Pearl Harbor to help discourage further attacks.

New Guinea/Solomons: Lots of IJN transport sightings off the north coast of New Guinea. Finschafen and Gasmata assaulted and captured by Japanese forces. My Banshee DB’s in Port Moresby attempted to hit the Finschafen landing, but were surprised when the ships were protected by Zeroes flying CAP. Either there is an IJN Carrier in the area, or they flew CAP all the way from Rabaul…didn’t realize they had that kind of range. In the air battle that ensued, half of my attacking bombers are destroyed or damaged, the next day I order them to stand down to prevent any further massacre.

DEI/Phillippines: Clark Field still under constant ground attack, but is holding its own for the time being. Daily bombing of Clark Field and Bataan.
In the DEI, the Japanese assault North Borneo, and without control of the air, the assaulted garrisons are doomed.

SE Asia/China: IJN is hammering Singapore from both the ground and air. Fort Levels are down to 0…is this the end of the ‘Gibraltar of the East’? I withdraw all remaining air assets just in case.
In Burma, the IJA captures Pegu, the last roadblock (speedbump) before Rangoon.

Notable Base Captures:
-ParePare[Celebes] captured by Japan (2/2)
-Pegu [Burma] captured by Japan (2/5)
-Ambon [DEI] captured by Japan (2/6)
-Finschafen [New Guinea] captured by Japan (2/7)
-Gasmata [New Britain] captured by Japan (2/8)

Campaign Overview:
Japanese: 791 [+104]
Allies: 505 [+56]

Japanese: 82 [+5] Notables: CVL Zuiho, CA Mogami, CA Mikuma, CA Suzya. 2 CVE’s are
Allies: 118 [+10] Notables: CL Durban

VP Totals [change]:
Japanese: 6,893 [+619]
Allies: 13,048 [+263]

Other Notes:
- Just when I thought the sub threat had subsided, the CV Enterprise is hit by an IJN sub off Sydney. She’ll be in the dry dock for a few weeks…but it definitely could have been worse. Lesson learned. From now on I am using waypoints when ships travel between Sydney and the Coral Sea. Ships now head due East to Lord Howe Island before turning North. It’s longer route, but it minimizes the exposure to the IJN sub gauntlet along the East coast of Australia.

Excellent!

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 52
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/14/2015 4:41:26 PM   
BBfanboy

Zero fighters with drop tanks have an operational range of 14 hexes. At that range, LRCAP missions would be momentary as the plane has no fuel to loiter, so about 12 hexes is as far as I would estimate LRCAP from Zeros. I am not sure if the game imposes a max range on LRCAP.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 53
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/14/2015 4:45:15 PM   
Yaab

Schlussel, do you have any plans for the Samoan Islands?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 4:38:32 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

Zero fighters with drop tanks have an operational range of 14 hexes. At that range, LRCAP missions would be momentary as the plane has no fuel to loiter, so about 12 hexes is as far as I would estimate LRCAP from Zeros. I am not sure if the game imposes a max range on LRCAP.

The Zeroes hung around awhile (long enough to rip my bombers to shreds), maybe they were coming off a carrier then. Haven't had any CV sightings yet, but my PBY coverage is spotty in that area NW of New Britain.

Excellent!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 55
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 4:50:45 AM   
Schlussel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I plan on keeping them in supply so they can keep pumping out those delicious cookies.

Seriously though, I have some extra supplies and a bit of fuel stored @ Pago-Pago...the idea was to use the base as an emergency stop over on the supply route between Pearl and Noumea. But that's about it right now.

As a forum veteran, do you have any suggestions for using these islands?

Attachment (1)

Excellent!

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 56
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 8:00:55 AM   
jmalter

Pago Pago is my staging-point for the planned assault on the Gilberts, scheduled for June '43. While Luganville is closer to Tarawa, that base is far too busy supporting the Solomons campaign.

P-P is the destination for AKV convoys bringing 1- & 2-engine airgroups to both SWPAC & SOPAC from Pearl & San Diego, and is the fleet base (AR, ARD, 228 NavSupport) for both theaters.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 57
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 8:04:55 AM   
Yaab

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I plan on keeping them in supply so they can keep pumping out those delicious cookies.

Seriously though, I have some extra supplies and a bit of fuel stored @ Pago-Pago...the idea was to use the base as an emergency stop over on the supply route between Pearl and Noumea. But that's about it right now.

As a forum veteran, do you have any suggestions for using these islands?

I was thinking of building up Savaii to airfield level 5 in case Suva falls. Thus you get a B-17E base which is 15 hexes away from Suva and the bombers will fly with full set of bombs.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 58
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 12:27:49 PM   
Sardaukar

BTW, you might get some ideas from my old Tutorial AAR, it's quite outdated, being from 2010, but might give some insight:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2564541

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 59
RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War i... - 8/15/2015 3:40:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

The Zeroes hung around awhile (long enough to rip my bombers to shreds), maybe they were coming off a carrier then. Haven't had any CV sightings yet, but my PBY coverage is spotty in that area NW of New Britain.

Finschafen is pretty close to Rabaul - I doubt the Zeros came from a carrier. Check your subs in the area for high D/L - that is often the first sign of a carrier in the area.

(in reply to Schlussel)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Back for the First Time – Allied AAR vs. AI - War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI