Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Roll Call Thread Addition

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 8:48:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Annagil

quote:

some Gorizia's in my CA forces that can take a punch

That didn't help them much at Matapan, sadly. Most accounts state they did last less than 5 minutes under point blank fire from the 15 inches of 3 BBs...

what exactly can survive that is a wonder...beautiful ships though....

Why, the Bismarck did (even against 16 inchers). Everybody knows she was scuttled, not sunk!
warspite1

Do you think that Bismarck's armour may have been a tad thicker than the Italian Zaras and that their armour was not designed to survive a point-blank pounding from His Majesties (or anybody else's) finest? Just a thought

Re the scuttling / sinking sloblocks.

HM battleships Rodney and KGV battered her into a burning hulk, beyond repair before she sank. That is a fact.

The "real smart people" ignore that and then say that Bismarck was scuttled by her crew and that, as a result, there is no glory and honour for the RN - and any glory and honour from that encounter goes to the German ship..... (Yep - that comment has actually been made on these forums ).

Quite so. In the same way those "real smart people" don't seem to twig that by applying the same rules - the Battle of Midway was a stunning IJN victory!

Funny old game eh?

P.S By the way, how dare you bring up a non-PTO subject in this forum LST - you should be banned!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/11/2015 9:58:50 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 151
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 9:06:02 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Funny that the reflexes of the "OPFOR" are the same, whether a Germans says she was scuttled or a British says she was sunk .

Concerning the subject - we have at least one mod that brings the KM into the Pacific (with or without Bismarck), so there you go .

But I'm afraid we are taking the thread too far OT here.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 152
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 9:15:31 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Funny that the reflexes of the "OPFOR" are the same, whether a Germans says she was scuttled or a British says she was sunk .

Concerning the subject - we have at least one mod that brings the KM into the Pacific (with or without Bismarck), so there you go .

warspite1

Just to be clear - and in all seriousness for a minute - I genuinely couldn't care less whether the Bismarck's crew scuttled the ship or she was sunk through torpedo, or she was holed by shells below the waterline or any combination thereof. It is totally meaningless.

Because whatever caused the German battleship to finally disappear beneath the waves does not alter the fact that she was beaten beyond hope long before that happened (and frankly, even if she wasn't she was still put in a situation where the Germans thought they had to scuttle her). The British had to sink her and she was sunk. End of.

I cannot imagine any American is crying in his soup at the thought that their navy aircraft didn't actually sink the Japanese carriers at Midway for the same reason. By the time the Japanese scuttled their ships, they were long past being of any use to anyone. The Americans had to sink them and they were sunk. End of.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/11/2015 10:34:27 AM >

Post #: 153
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 10:03:10 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

Yep, end result is what matters.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 154
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 3:58:44 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Silver Spring, MD near DC. Born in Georgia but this is my home. Ten years as a merchant seaman with the Seafarers Union. Started as a messboy and was a third officer when I quit. Been a realtor for 30 years now. Been playing war games ever since I found the old Avalon Hill Gettysburg (square hexes) in my dad's closet. (Next to the Playboys). That's about it.

Oh, almost forgot. Won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1980 as well as the gold medal in the 1,500 meter run in the Moscow Olympics that same year. That was an especially good year for me.
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Wow - talented individual. Out of interest, which country were you running for at those games - and how did that obvious fraudster Sebastian Coe get away with claiming he'd won the 1,500?

Also impressive that the two winners of the Nobel prize for Physics that year were Americans and the US boycotted those games. You must by James Cronin who was 48 that year. Val Logsdon Fitch died in February of this year. Unless you are Fitch and also undead.

Bill

Yes, I remember that those two guys got mentioned for something or another. Can't exactly remember what they did but I won the prize that year for figuring out a formula for butter that would not stick to the ceilings of middle school cafeterias when schoolboys throw them. It has been my life's work. Not that I want to brag or bring attention to myself but I also donated the $16.32 in prize money that I received to charity. One would think that I should have won for chemistry that year but they told me it was physics or nothing..

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 155
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 7:17:14 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

OPFOR Says :it was NOT a goal in '66 ! :) for any football fans here..

Post #: 156
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/11/2015 9:36:37 PM   
rustysi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Just to be clear - and in all seriousness for a minute - I genuinely couldn't care less whether the Bismarck's crew scuttled the ship or she was sunk through torpedo, or she was holed by shells below the waterline or any combination thereof. It is totally meaningless.

Because whatever caused the German battleship to finally disappear beneath the waves does not alter the fact that she was beaten beyond hope long before that happened (and frankly, even if she wasn't she was still put in a situation where the Germans thought they had to scuttle her). The British had to sink her and she was sunk. End of.

I cannot imagine any American is crying in his soup at the thought that their navy aircraft didn't actually sink the Japanese carriers at Midway for the same reason. By the time the Japanese scuttled their ships, they were long past being of any use to anyone. The Americans had to sink them and they were sunk. End of.

Sums it up... Ya think.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 157
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/12/2015 4:07:45 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
Yes, I remember that those two guys got mentioned for something or another. Can't exactly remember what they did but I won the prize that year for figuring out a formula for butter that would not stick to the ceilings of middle school cafeterias when schoolboys throw them. It has been my life's work. Not that I want to brag or bring attention to myself but I also donated the $16.32 in prize money that I received to charity. One would think that I should have won for chemistry that year but they told me it was physics or nothing..

So you won an Ignobel...

http://www.improbable.com/ig/

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 158
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/12/2015 9:47:17 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Well, everyone knows that scuttling salvages 10% of the VPs otherwise lost during a non-scuttling sinking, so I see this issue as remarkably germane.

Post #: 159
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/14/2015 1:43:59 PM   
Odin

Damn...i never missed a roll call

Germany, Ruhr area, Wanne-Eickel.

Born in 1973.

Served with signal troops in german army 1995-1996, still some reserve activity.

< Message edited by Odin -- 8/14/2015 2:46:18 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 160
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/14/2015 4:56:48 PM   
Eambar

Australian, living in London, 48. Grew up in Sydney, joined the Army after school and received a degree courtesy of the Australian Defence Force through the then new, Defence Force Academy. Spent 15 years in the Army, logistics officer and went to some interesting places. Post military, continued on in the same profession just not in uniform.

Interest in war games came from a teacher who started a wargame club at school (although I had hundreds of plastic soldiers and I read the "Commando" series of comics over and over). Tried my hand at everything from role playing (D&D and a classic that never took off - Tunnels and Trolls), miniatures (came last in the 1986 Tin Soldier Ancients Division tournament with a Gallic Army consisting of three medium infantry warbands and some expensive but useless chariots)and boardgames. Still have those old boardgames proudly on the bookshelf.

Got into WITP through an AAR posted years ago over on the Paradox forums, I don't recall the author but it was so well done I had to buy the game!

Cheers,

(in reply to Odin)
Post #: 161
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/14/2015 6:18:19 PM   
geofflambert

heads up, this is just an apolitical joke
I just realized why the RNC divided their candidates into two groups for the debates. If they'd had Ben Carson and Rand Paul on the same stage they'd have had a paradocs.

Just curious, why would Paradox let someone do an AAR there for a Matrix game?

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 162
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/14/2015 6:38:21 PM   
RayYoung

How interesting the background here. I enjoyed reviewing them.

We all seem similar in so many respects..interest in history and all.

Me. I was raised in Iowa in the US. Have lived on the east coast and currently in Georgia. Been fortunate to travel the world widely starting with a tour in Vietnam in the year of the TET offensive. Born in 1947 and always enjoyed war games.

Still learning the ins and outs of this. I played the original WITP on a DOS machine way back maybe 20 years ago. I only recently found WITP-AE and couldn't resist investing in it. No regrets.

Actually, the help I have found here and the knowledge base you all provide has kept me interested. As I get deeper into the game it is fascinating the level of complexity and detail that has been programmed into this. Sometimes it does seem like "Quartermaster of the Pacific" and the logistics are a bit overwhelming.

I haven't played anything but AI to this point trying to get the gist of it all. Hoping to develop into an opponent worthy of some of the more experienced players at some point.

525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET

(in reply to Major Shane)
Post #: 163
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/14/2015 7:42:46 PM   
geofflambert

Go ahead and dive into it with an opponent of similar experience, if for no other reason to get the mechanics of a PBEM down.

The AI teaches you about the mistakes you might make against the AI, not so much a human. Get the early ugly surprises out of the way.

I was born in '57 and I don't know how much time I have left to wait for someone as young as yourself. Get moving!

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 8/14/2015 8:46:13 PM >

(in reply to RayYoung)
Post #: 164
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/15/2015 3:09:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Sums it up... Ya think.
warspite1

Well quite. I think yes, but sadly some don't understand that reasoning....

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 165
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/15/2015 6:13:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and with the greatest respect to OPFOR, OPFOR doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about

That was easily a goal - anyone could see it was miles over the line - hell, you can clearly see it hit the back of the net.

England 4-2 West Germany

Official actual footage of Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal. Honest.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/15/2015 7:51:51 PM >

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 166
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/16/2015 10:11:44 AM   
aspqrz02

Sydney, Australia ... Northern Beaches (Harbord/Manly Vale) mostly apart from an odd few jaunts to outlying places while working as Teacher (History, of course) for the NSW Department of Education (1977-2014), now gainfully retired.

Always interested in History, from Primary (Elementary to no Oz types) School ... eventually doing a double major in History at Sydney University (Ancient, Modern, Medieval).

Started wargaming with SPI/Avalon Hill Games I chanced on in adverts on the back of Analog SF/F magazine in the late 1960's and early 1970's, then got into Role Playing Games (D&D White Box, Empire of the Petal Throne and, later, co-writing Space Opera [FGU] and other stuff for assorted companies) and computer games around 1981 with an Apple IIe with early SSG games (amongst others).

Thence via Apple Mac (from literally the first shipment into Oz ... had to beg to be allowed to buy a box of 31/2" disks at the time, so scarce were they) and Amiga through to IBMs and all sorts of computer war (and other) games over the years ... still dabbling, even though I am currently preparing a military themed WW3-ish RPG for a Kickstarter campaign (hopefully for early September) and that is taking up most of my free time at the moment.

Phil McGregor

Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au

Post #: 167
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/17/2015 8:06:27 AM   
Eambar

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Just curious, why would Paradox let someone do an AAR there for a Matrix game?

Back then, they allowed pretty well anything on their OT sub-forum. There were plenty of non-Paradox game AAR's on there.

Cheers,

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 168
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/17/2015 11:06:10 AM   
oaltinyay

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and with the greatest respect to OPFOR, OPFOR doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about

That was easily a goal - anyone could see it was miles over the line - hell, you can clearly see it hit the back of the net.

England 4-2 West Germany

Official actual footage of Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal. Honest.

OPFOR has found this http://www.england.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=193848

ps. correction, I am not really OPFOR, Bismarck did got sunk by RN ( even if it was scutlled after that time it wouldnt have changed a bit )

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 169
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition - 8/17/2015 1:32:13 PM   
PeteG662

Near to DC in Northern Virginia.

Tallyman

Post #: 170
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? - 8/19/2015 4:36:57 PM   
kstoddard2

U.S.A

Utah

Born at Mather AFB, in Sacramento, CA. But been a Utahn since I was 2.

Kyle

I'm starving, get me a scotch!

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 171
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? - 8/25/2015 8:10:52 PM   
stuman

Interesting read.
Lived in West Tennessee all of my life.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to kstoddard2)
Post #: 172
RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ? - 8/25/2015 11:35:41 PM   
rogueusmc

Native Texan. Lived here my whole life except for the time I was in the corps and a brief time in Illinois. Originally a yankee from North Texas...now I am in East Texas.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 173
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Roll Call Thread Addition Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI