Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Maponus' Sci-Fi Crossover Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Maponus' Sci-Fi Crossover Mod Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maponus' Sci-Fi Crossover Mod - 8/21/2015 1:22:16 PM   
Maponus

This is a project I've been working on for a while, and I thought it is about time I told the forum about it.

Arguing about who would beat who, or what would happen when X mets Y, is a huge part of science fiction fandom - whether it be in fan fiction or in heated debate. Naturally, at some point one feels the need to actually watch the scenario play out for yourself. My Sci-Fi crossover mod will attempt to do just that, though sadly only for a few universes, given the limitations of the Distant Worlds engine. But I hope to get as much in as possible.

At present, the mod is playable but unfinished. There are about 45 races in the mod at present, give or take, including the Shaktrui and Mechanoid who I have left in for now. This mod is mostly a complication of the amazing work of the Distant Worlds modding community, rather than my own work as such, which is why I will be waging a extensive campaign of permission asking over the next few days. My aim is too get not just as many races into the mod as possible but also to make use of the various improvements to the AI, UI and gameplay offered in other modifications available in the Distant Worlds community so that it does not compare unfavourably with the level of gameplay people who play Distant Worlds Extended (for example) might be used too.

At the moment, the Sci-Fi crossover mod features the following universes.

Featuring: Zerg, Terrans, Protoss, Dark Templar.

Featuring: the Imperium, Ultramar, Orks, Tau, Eldar (Dark, Craftworld and Exodite), Chaos, Necrons and Tyranid.

Featuring: the Federation, Borg, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi, Bree and the Dominion.

Note: While the number of races is technically unlimited, Distant Worlds can only support a limited number of ship sets - which means I can't include as many Trek races as I would like without excluding other franchises. This means that in order to get as many races as possible it will probably be necessary to have many "duplicate" factions sharing ship sets. Many of the 45 playable races mentioned above are variant versions of a single faction sharing the same ships, such as different Eldar Craftworlds.

Featuring: the Galatic Empire, the Rebel Alliance, CIS and the Galactic Republic.

I plan to add more, depending on what is available. However, I am not equally versed in every sci-fi universe so my selections until now reflect my personal bias, things as Mass Effect, Homeworld and Battlestar Galatica are not well known to me so I might appreciate help.

Anyone with the ability to make ship sets willing to help me adding some races whose space ships are as yet unavailable for Distant Worlds would be extremely welcome, because top down images of Doctor Who ships, which I'd love to add, are basically nonexistent on the net.

< Message edited by Maponus -- 8/21/2015 2:24:58 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Maponus' Sci-Fi Crossover Mod Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI