Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is PC a good beginner wargame?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Is PC a good beginner wargame? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/21/2012 3:12:17 AM   
jamus34

Sorry if this has been asked however is Panzer Corps a good introduction to wargaming or would it be over my head?

I played some PG in my youth but nothing I would really remember...is this considered fairly easy to pick up an learn?
Post #: 1
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/21/2012 10:01:40 AM   
Lord Zimoa

Panzer Corps was designed from the ground up to help people getting into this wargame each at his own pace. It is easy to pick-up and learn, we deliberately kept the learning curve not too steep.

If you dig more and more into the game play, you will notice though that at first glance it may appear, and is not, a difficult game really, but by playing more you will find out it will become challenging. So easy to learn, but hard to master if you want to.

Things that help you to achieve this are are:

- The tutorial campaign (really recommend playing this first)

- The basic manual (no 300 page telephone book to introduce you to the very basic gameplay principles and rules)

- The 7 difficulty settings: from dead easy to ridiculously hard

- Options to enable/disable certain rules you like/dislike: fuel/support/fog of war

- Help and tutorial tips, you can enable/disable

- The ingame library

Over time have a look, when you want to dig deeper into the game, at Slitherine`s main forum sticky topics:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=121

- The Cheat Codes and Hotkey list
- Common Questions
- Hints and Gameplay Tips and Tricks

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 3/21/2012 10:10:52 AM >

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 2
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/21/2012 12:48:22 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamus34

Sorry if this has been asked however is Panzer Corps a good introduction to wargaming or would it be over my head?

I played some PG in my youth but nothing I would really remember...is this considered fairly easy to pick up an learn?

Yes, you couldn't pick better.
Anyway you can grab the demo, although you really don't need.

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 3
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/21/2012 1:09:07 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamus34

It is without doubt a great game for an introduction to a great hobby. As jamus34 said get the demo. Shortly after trying the game you will purchase it.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 4
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/22/2012 7:12:55 AM   
Dreadgod

Panzer Corps is, at its core, the spiritual successor to a famous game called "Panzer General", which was the first in a series of well-received war games. The popularity of the Panzer General series was due in large part because it WASN'T insanely hard to pick up like other wargames of its time, ut had enough depth to be interesting. Panzer Corps is effectively following right along in those footsteps; they've made an accessible game (but with real mastery an option), with enough depth to be interesting.

Go for it. Believe me, the gamers on this forum are not disappointed. :) It's a hex/hexagon-based game, so if you've done one of those before that's a benefit, but by no means a requirement.

< Message edited by Dreadgod -- 3/22/2012 7:15:11 AM >

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 5
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/22/2012 4:00:13 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dreadgod

Panzer Corps is, at its core, the spiritual successor to a famous game called "Panzer General", which was the first in a series of well-received war games. The popularity of the Panzer General series was due in large part because it WASN'T insanely hard to pick up like other wargames of its time, ut had enough depth to be interesting. Panzer Corps is effectively following right along in those footsteps; they've made an accessible game (but with real mastery an option), with enough depth to be interesting.

Go for it. Believe me, the gamers on this forum are not disappointed. :) It's a hex/hexagon-based game, so if you've done one of those before that's a benefit, but by no means a requirement.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Buy it, you won't regret it.
Very easy to get into, and deep enough to assure a long gameplay.
In fact I think it's a masterpiece because it is *very* rare a "remake" of the classic PG surpasses it's original, improves it and maintains the original appeal the original had. Eye candy galore, fun and strategic depth all at the same time.
An instant classic, and it has gotten loads of positive reviews/awards.

(in reply to Dreadgod)
Post #: 6
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/23/2012 1:05:22 AM   
jamus34

Thanks guys...got the demo...only had a chance to play through the introductory mission so far but it seems pretty good...one of those "easy to learn but impossible to master" type of games.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 7
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/23/2012 7:38:16 AM   
terje439

Just want to add, ANY matrixgames game you buy is made even more worth its cost due to a very friendly community where there are no stupid question (a few stupid replies though ).
So if you have any questions just ask, and you should be getting alot of help on the various forums.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 8
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/23/2012 2:40:13 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Just want to add, ANY matrixgames game you buy is made even more worth its cost due to a very friendly community where there are no stupid question (a few stupid replies though ).
So if you have any questions just ask, and you should be getting alot of help on the various forums.

Terje

Terje, well played and a great response.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 9
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 3/24/2012 12:59:14 PM   
jamus34

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Terje

Oh yeah, I've been a lurker here for a while...I know everyone's great.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 10
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 8/27/2015 12:08:50 AM   
SimSportPlyr

I hope it's ok if I ask a question about buying this game.

I see that it is for sale on the Slitherine web site and on the Matrix Games web site. Are these the same game, different version?

Thanks.

(in reply to jamus34)
Post #: 11
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 8/27/2015 2:14:53 AM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: SimSportPlyr

I hope it's ok if I ask a question about buying this game.

I see that it is for sale on the Slitherine web site and on the Matrix Games web site. Are these the same game, different version?

Thanks.

Same game.

(in reply to SimSportPlyr)
Post #: 12
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 8/27/2015 2:46:47 AM   
SimSportPlyr

Thanks, VPaulus!

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 13
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 10/19/2015 11:25:00 PM   
leftydad

Is Panzer Corps a better game for a beginning war gamer or is Battle Academy better? Is there any difference in the complexity between those two games?

James

(in reply to SimSportPlyr)
Post #: 14
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 10/20/2015 2:51:44 AM   
lparkh

Panzercorps has very simple mechanis but typicallymore units to move around (a different form of compexity). Battle Academy typically fewer units but bit more subtle. Apples and oranges to some degree. Pick the scale that interests you (BA is squad level, Panzer Corps operational )

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 15
RE: Is PC a good beginner wargame? - 10/20/2015 2:22:14 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: leftydad

Is Panzer Corps a better game for a beginning war gamer or is Battle Academy better? Is there any difference in the complexity between those two games?

I enjoyed both games. Battle Academy surprised me, I didn't think I would like it. My daughter bought it for me as a Christmas present and I ended up buying every expansion pack I liked it so much.

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Is PC a good beginner wargame? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI