Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How 'complete' is the simulation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How 'complete' is the simulation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How 'complete' is the simulation? - 8/21/2015 3:35:14 PM   
AndysonofBob

Hi

My love of Crusader Kings 2 has bought me here. I am dead excited about Stallaris but some dudes on the forums were saying DW:U was pretty awesome so I took the plunge.

I love how complex the background simulation can be in CK2.

Quill18 said something evocative, that you could set the universe to automate and could potentially take control of one ship, become a captain like Picard of Star Trek and explore the universe!

How complete would this experiance be? How complex is the simulation? What should I do to set up the automation system to mimic this?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 8/21/2015 5:37:29 PM   
Bingeling

I think that would be a rather boring way to play.

You got mines that mines units of resources that have to be picked up (300 gold and 400 steel) and brought to a spaceport, which can use them to build ships. This makes the universe alive with traffic that you don't control, at least not directly.

A single ship means rather little in this game, apart from certain alien design ships (advanced) that can appear randomly in the early game.

To mimic a single ship, automate everything, but take one ship for yourself. You can always remove automation for single ships or fleets. A single fleet would probably work better, especially if you tailor it yourself and make it strong. I have had fun with only controlling the military ships. The catch back then (and probably still) is that the automatic diplomacy AI is not very informative about changes in war status.

Many new players dislike lots of automation early on, as it may feel like the game playing itself. You have to figure out what works for you.

Since I have not played CK2 I can't compare on its background simulation. DW got an entertaining galaxy that is alive, it is quite possible to make something more complex. I am not too keen on picking up CK2, since it is never really cheap, and I doubt that I would be willing to invest enough time to really enjoy it.

(in reply to AndysonofBob)
Post #: 2
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 8/21/2015 6:14:04 PM   
AndysonofBob

Thanks!

FYI CK2 is frequently on offer on Steam! I would say five to six times per year it has 80% off Steam sales. People tend to drop £35 to pick up the game in its entirety. It is an awesome game but I total time sync.

I have been reading up on DW:U and I am proper excited; it looks proper complex! The simulation is deep! :)

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 8/28/2015 1:58:15 AM   
echo2361

I've never tried playing the game with just one ship, but it is certainly possible I suppose. As others have suggested, controlling just one fleet and leaving the rest of your empire on auto might be a better way to go. Just keep focused on your fleet for a while and occasionally zoom out to watch your empire's rise and/or fall thanks to your efforts :)

Post #: 4
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 8/29/2015 8:39:15 AM   
Testmann

If you can find an ancient Capital ship while exploring the Universe I'm sure you can just take command of that one ship and hunt down pirates and do special-forces-raids during wars.
All that nasty micro stuff thats too much effort if you're controlling the whole Empire.
Could be fun.

Controlling technology isn't much effort.
You can still research and design your own prototype with special weapons and components.
Make a small strike force that can board enemy space stations maybe..

(in reply to echo2361)
Post #: 5
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 9/4/2015 2:44:12 PM   
FerretStyle

Single ship gameplay was more of a thing in earlier versions where you could create super ships out of constructors. Now, with the stricter ship building limits, you can't create a big expensive broken ship to run around dominating the universe with and you'll typically need a fleet to accomplish anything outside of exploration.

(in reply to Testmann)
Post #: 6
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 9/4/2015 3:37:18 PM   
AndysonofBob

I don't mine being owned by a more deadly foe!

I think finding a cap ship early on is the way to do this though. :)

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 7
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 9/4/2015 4:02:33 PM   
Bingeling

If you find a powerful alien ship and have a galaxy with very slow research, you could do some damage.

I believe the early capital ships have been reduced a bit in power, though.

Post #: 8
RE: How 'complete' is the simulation? - 9/14/2015 3:44:11 PM   
Thrake

I played many 4X games and IMO it's the best one by far. It's complex in most aspects (more than CK2 IMO). The scale is really big; too big to me as any 4X space games (I like controling everything but you can't with several hundred ships). Where it shines and elegantly solves part of this massive scale problem is through automation. I did not use to like letting the AI in control of something, but I happily do it here, because it's rather easy to automate just part of a thing; for exemple a patrol fleet in part of your Empire while you manage the rest; it does its job just fine. It's a bit hard to figure the actual setting you want at times but a google search can do wonders.

What I really love though, is the abiity to play as a pirate; it's really elegantly thought out IMO, refreshing and there's no single minute of rest. It's a constant struggle with other pirates to get the bigger share of the loot and other empires to cripple their expansion so they don't grow too powerful to put an end to your despotic rule :)

Most importantly, the AI is quite good unlike most 4X.

What you want to do wouldn't be too hard to achieve I think: you would just fully automate everything but one ship. The downside is that you wouldn't have your own treasury (that would be the one of your Empire) and I don't think you could edit (without the in-game editor) your own ship until you can get access to capital ships yourself. I guess you could have some fun starting with a powerful ship with boarding capability and slowly build a fleet on your own by boarding only. With a resupply ship you wouldn't even depend on fuel and so could explore your way to the other edge of the galaxy if you feel like.

< Message edited by Thrake -- 9/14/2015 4:47:21 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How 'complete' is the simulation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI