Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looks like it still needed work...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> Looks like it still needed work... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looks like it still needed work... - 9/11/2015 10:40:58 PM   
Sheytan

Quote Originally Posted by seathom View Post

Aesthetically? I like it. The map is beautiful and the unit counters on the bottom are easy to read (I thought ROP & RUS were too small).

Turn processing. Very, very fast; at least in the first year of play. Anyone who complains about speed probably yells at the microwave when popping popcorn. No, that's not fair, popcorn takes longer.

Options. I really like where this has gone. In TEAW, I'm in April 1916 and have 67 EP points on-hand; my game just didn't really call for constant spending of EP's. Early on, all Ageod (I noticed that it went from all caps to just the A being capitalized?) games require cost-benefit analysis with scant EP's (which I enjoy immensely) but then my use of EP's have tapered off as the game progresses, but I think with the broader availability of options (military, diplomatic, etc.,) there will be a more judicious use of EP's, which is totally in-line with real life national decisions on how to use finite resources for infinite wishes.

Game play. The really important issue for me. So far, so good. I never played Espagna '36 (yet) and have only seen a bit of a Let's Play (it was in French and I have sadly fallen behind in my conversational French) so I don't have a good recollection of how it played, but it kind of plays more like AJE than CW2 or TEAW and that's not a bad thing at all. I like the frontal wars, but, just like in AJE, having a main force (to protect Wien; I'm playing the HRE) and splintering off side forces to protect other cities or to take other cities is very fun too. This type of game plays much faster for me than the frontal wars so I will be able to play more games, play both sides and try different strategies without having to play one game for 6-months (I do like the grand campaigns!). Also like AJE is the need to prevent binge buying and end up not having enough money and supplies to maintain your troops. I am glad that this is twice a year and not yearly, it makes it easier to figure out how much and when you can spend those precious thaylers and WS!

For the first year of the game - so far, so good.
What difficulty/AI settings are you using? (if you're playing vs. AI) In my grand campaign I'm using Veteran Activation, Long Delay, Normal Foreign Entry, Historical Attrition, Easy Supply off, Medium Traffic Penalty and have the AI on Sergeant with Normal Act., Medium Detect., Normal Aggr., All Behaviors/More Time

Currently I'm playing the Catholics, it's 1628 and I've built every possible unit and taken every city that is accessible by land and I have: 321EP, 126 Thalers, and 118WS. I just finished crushing the negligible Danish army and seem to just be waiting for Gustavus to enter...so there's been very little to do the past few years.

The whole thing has just felt dramatically imbalanced so far. The Bohemian Revolt/Protestant Union was easily overcome in about 3 years, I was able to use all of the Wallenstein recruitment regional decisions in one turn (instant 1000+ army), and after that you just pick off enemy's one by one as they enter the war. This feels very similar to playing the Republicans in España 1936: stacks are too cohesive and too easy to organize, region loyalty far too easy to maintain , abundance of resources, and what feels like poor AI compared to most Ageod games.

Post #: 1
RE: Looks like it still needed work... - 9/12/2015 1:37:05 AM   
Rosseau

Maybe Lieutenant difficulty will help. Not sure if you can change that in mid-game, though. They also recommend low detection, and hard activation level (I guess that's veteran) on the AI screen.

Might just be a difficult campaign to balance, so I am waiting. Still waiting to see significant patches on SCW, so leery of the single-developer projects.

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 2
RE: Looks like it still needed work... - 9/12/2015 2:59:56 AM   
Ripster8

I have to agree with the question of balance. As the Imperialists against the AI Protestants the first year was touchy but after that it has been a roll over, I'm afraid. I am in 1641 and the Bohemian revolt is crushed, the Palatinate is conquered, the Danes vanquished and I am waiting around for the Swedes and or the French to get involved so I have something to do.

Playing at the Protestants it was a different story. The AI Imperialists blitzed me and took Prague, but then frittered away their advantage by making a 2000+ power uber-stack and trying to siege Heidelberg with it. Unfortunately they had no supplies and were forced to retreat with heavy losses.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 3
RE: Looks like it still needed work... - 10/18/2015 12:45:30 PM   
Dino_SWE

What bother me is the lack of quality in sound and animation. Pillage smoke animation for example. It looks terrible, and considering its one of the few animated elements on the whole game space it ought to look better. What would that cost for the devs to implement, 20 bucks? Come on.

Combat sounds. Very weak. Devs should really consider adding some massive gun salvo and cannon sounds to invoke some battle atmosphere during combat resolution.
New Turn bell toll sound. Very low quality.

These are all things that could be polished to improve the gameplay experience by a landslide, and it would cost almost nothing.

I also wish the animated flags looked better. More fluid, silky, and royal.

< Message edited by Dino_SWE -- 10/18/2015 1:46:02 PM >

(in reply to Ripster8)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Medieval] >> Thirty Years' War >> Looks like it still needed work... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI