Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITPAE runs on Mac OSX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITPAE runs on Mac OSX Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 5:05:06 AM   
sfatula

This is just an FYI if anyone else ever wants to run WITPAE on Mac, or likely Linux. Using wine, which means no Windows license unlike emulators such as Parallels, Virtualbox, etc., WITPAE runs perfectly fine. And very fast and nimble too. On the Mac desktop. Should work the same on Linux. I am updating the winehq site for details on how to run it, hopefully, they will approve soon. For those who know what wine is (not the drink!). I use wineskin myself to make things easier. Read up on wine if you have any interest.

Have not run Windows in more than 15 years so this was needed for me at least.
Post #: 1
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 5:25:18 AM   
RogerJNeilson

I would be very interested in this. Know nothing about Wine though - not in a software sense....

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 2
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 5:39:06 AM   
Yaab

Are Wine users called "winos"?

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 3
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 5:56:03 AM   
sfatula

Sometimes they are called w(h)iners! In any case, if you are on Mac OSX, then, google up wineskin, download, and then read a little. The instructions for this app will appear on the winehq website after they approve my comments for the game. You just have to load some extra pieces, which are pretty simple via wineskin, that the game uses. You should figure out at least how to make a wrapper in wineskin, and, load Windows libraries via winetricks. Once you can do that, it's really simple, the installer simply works, etc. I don't have any howto, I suppose that might exist on the wineskin site. The trick is always figuring out what things the game requires, without having the code. That is simply trial and error, but, those will be on the winehq site.

If you are Linux, then, I don't know if there is a similar product as wineskin that makes things a little easier to set up. I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to make it work on linux, but, suspect it's the same idea at the lowest level, wine.

The cool thing is you can actually make a Mac executable that is self contained (via wineskin). Matrix, if they wanted, could then distribute the app if they so choose. Assuming there is no licensing involved with wineskin for commercial use, not sure.

For me, seems to run faster than an emulator. As fast as I have seen it run on a friends Windows machine.

< Message edited by sfatula -- 9/13/2015 6:57:19 AM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 6:08:35 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok I will have a look.

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 5
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/13/2015 10:14:36 PM   
mrchuck

If anyone is interested I've been running WITP and AE (and WITE) under Play on Linux with ubuntu for more than a year.

Happy to provide the incantations if anyone wants them. No windows here either for the most part.

cm

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 6
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 6:02:39 AM   
sfatula

Not too surprising Play on Linux works. Underneath the name is in fact wine!

Roger, if you get stuck at some point, let me know as long as you are Mac.

(in reply to mrchuck)
Post #: 7
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 6:44:06 AM   
RogerJNeilson

Thanks will do, written on my 29" Imac..... Lol

Roger

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 8
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 1:00:13 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrchuck

If anyone is interested I've been running WITP and AE (and WITE) under Play on Linux with ubuntu for more than a year.

Happy to provide the incantations if anyone wants them. No windows here either for the most part.

cm

I would like to know how... Can you give details ?

(in reply to mrchuck)
Post #: 9
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 4:35:49 PM   
sfatula

Details entails a lot of time I don't have right now. That being said, what I might be able to do is post the "wrapper" into which all you have to do is install the game by running the installer. Then, setup the shortcut as you do in Windows for your game options like full or windowed, etc. If you can extract the saved games from your windows machine, you can put them in the Mac as well as use them as they were.

I don't have a website for this. I might be able to just use a public dropbox type place to post the one file you need.

Or, maybe I could put in on the WITP AE wiki on wikia? If they allow me to.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 10
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 8:03:04 PM   
Spikeosx

I have been running WitP AE on wineskin for over 2 years. I don't get any sound but that is perfectly fine by me. I then run it alongside all my other needed apps, such as my databases etc..
I got WITPTracker to run but the interface is not usable, so I go without that.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 11
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/14/2015 8:08:36 PM   
sfatula

The sound works if you follow the details on winehq. I will be getting WITPTracker too. I'll be posting a wineskin pre-made wrapper for anyone to install the game into. For those unfamiliar, think of a wineskin wrapper as a single (looking) Mac app. In it, is the windows dlls, wine, and Matrix code, and a virtual hard C drive. No windows OS. Not sure how big the Matrix folder is on Windows, but, the Mac app is 2.3GB in size once Matrix game is installed.

The only reason I posted about this is I see guys like Mike Solli and others saying they are running either dual boot, or, windows emulator, both of which are way too much work and hassle.

(in reply to Spikeosx)
Post #: 12
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/15/2015 6:33:21 AM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: sfatula

The sound works if you follow the details on winehq. I will be getting WITPTracker too. I'll be posting a wineskin pre-made wrapper for anyone to install the game into. For those unfamiliar, think of a wineskin wrapper as a single (looking) Mac app. In it, is the windows dlls, wine, and Matrix code, and a virtual hard C drive. No windows OS. Not sure how big the Matrix folder is on Windows, but, the Mac app is 2.3GB in size once Matrix game is installed.

The only reason I posted about this is I see guys like Mike Solli and others saying they are running either dual boot, or, windows emulator, both of which are way too much work and hassle.

that'll be great...

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 13
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/15/2015 6:34:35 AM   
oaltinyay

ps. I have a website and blogsite - I may put those files there if you give me an idea how big it will be...

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 14
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/15/2015 6:50:15 AM   
Magpius

are there any sound or screen resolution issues?

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 15
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/16/2015 5:52:00 AM   
sfatula

Sadly, I can't use the link in my post yet, it's on witp-ae wiki. Not sure if that's valid any more, but, it does show as recent activity on the site. Once a sufficient number of days have passed, I will update this thread with the link for any future use by others.

I am using a 27" iMac. I am using -px2048 -py1152 as the game options in windowed mode just fine. Runs just like any other Mac application. There are no sound or screen resolution issues I see anywhere. The only thing it does not seem to do is play that opening video, the avi file, but I don't want to play it anyway! I am playing a PBEM game just fine with it. No crashes, nothing abnormal.

So, someone semi computer saavy should try and follow the instructions there and see where you get held up, if anywhere. And, let me know where instructions are not clear. They are of course perfectly clear, to me!

(in reply to Magpius)
Post #: 16
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/29/2015 5:22:55 PM   
DRF99

This is great!

I got it running (except for sound) on my Macbook Pro (13" retina). It creates a wrapper that launches like an application. You can open the package and you have a virtual C: drive with all the files. Makes it easy to add extra scenarios, art, and maps.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 17
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/29/2015 5:25:09 PM   
sfatula

I will have instructions soon, working with someone who can post a wrapper with some pre formatted stuff in it so you can download and mostly just install the game. Works with sound (some tricks for that), and, works with WITP Tracker too. So, hopefully in a few weeks or less, we will have that posted.

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 18
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/29/2015 6:34:05 PM   
DRF99

Working with Tracker would be the cat's meow. I couldn't get it to work under VMWare Fusion and was told it wasn't possible.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 19
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/29/2015 6:54:19 PM   
sfatula

Hopefully very soon, it already works for me as I've been using it. Once the oaltinyay makes sure my instructions are correct and they work for him as well as me, he will post on his machine.

It's so much easier than messing with Windows, don't have to worry about the Windows 8.1 issues, etc. etc. If you use time machine, then, you have backups too. Small ones at that.

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 20
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 10:26:03 AM   
oaltinyay

I am working on it :)

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 21
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 1:49:51 PM   
oaltinyay

Sfatula : please check your mail. It does work ! but some adjustsments need to be done for simplicity.

We can put this on to my webpage but where do we get legal permission from Matrix. @Wdolson is the right guy to ask I presume.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 22
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 7:43:21 PM   
sfatula

I am not sure why we need legal permission? There is *no* Matrix code in the stuff we are distributing. It's all Mac stuff and some doc. So, if that still means there needs to be permission, I guess we need to, but, I don't see why. But I am not a lawyer!

< Message edited by sfatula -- 9/30/2015 9:10:36 PM >

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 23
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 8:23:11 PM   
DRF99

Yes, if you're only uploading the wrapper, with nothing installed inside I can't see it being a problem. Then it's up to each person to do an install into the wrapper, input their license key, etc.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 24
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 8:28:07 PM   
sfatula

Yes, this is exactly the case. The user must install their own game, would *never* include that of course in a distribution! While it may be convenient, it's not nice to do that! Nor legal.

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 25
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/30/2015 11:58:45 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Sfatula : please check your mail. It does work ! but some adjustsments need to be done for simplicity.

We can put this on to my webpage but where do we get legal permission from Matrix. @Wdolson is the right guy to ask I presume.

I'm not a Matrix employee, just a volunteer who monitors this forum. I'm a little unclear on the goal here, are you talking about porting the tracker to MacOS? Matrix doesn't own the tracker, it's an effort by Floyd and another guy independent of Matrix.

I'm not a lawyer, but my SO is one. As I understand IP law, if you make reference to WitP on a website, you should say it's a registered trademark of Matrix Games, but if you are not posting anything that is the property of Matrix such as files from the game, you shouldn't have to ask for permission.

Note: I am not a lawyer and that isn't a legal opinion, just my layman's opinion. If you want to contact Matrix, you can write one of their contact addresses on their home page.

< Message edited by wdolson -- 10/1/2015 1:00:13 AM >

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 26
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 1:51:56 AM   
sfatula

No, all that is being said here is the ability to RUN tracker on Mac OSX is being created and documented so more people can do it. No one will distribute any software that is restricted in any way. So, tracker would be installed by the user, just like WITPAE would be, following the tracker instructions of course. Even java for tracker has to be downloaded from Oracle, just like it does on Windows. This is to just create the framework for those programs to all be run on Mac OSX without Windows via in essence wine. We just want people to be able to use wine in an easier manner.

Right now, those same Mac users have to buy Windows, install it in an emulator, manage it, update it, install WITPAE, etc. Some of them dual boot, extremely inconvenient. It's all a very slow process. This process is superior in most every way. You can run tWITPAE side by side with other applications, and it takes very few resources. You don't have to hassle with backing up Windows, anti virus, etc.

The registered trademark comment is noted and is likely an excellent point. Thanks!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 27
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 1:25:15 PM   
oaltinyay

Ok here are the results...

The game installed and ran just fine. I did a stress test with computer 2 computer play and it worked fine for over 12 hours on a mac book retina mid 2012.

I also installed and played several mods like RA and all seems to be fine. The Intro animation does come up blank screen but that's not an issue I guess.

Screen sizing is the issue that needs playing with. I was running it on a second screen so I had to try a few combos.

Once we fine tune the installation manual with some screenshots we'll put it on a website.

Sfatula must be congratulated on an excellent work.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 28
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 2:02:46 PM   
DRF99

Great news and thanks to both of you for making this happen.

My install works good except for screen size and, for some strange reason, the air combat/attack animations. I'll try out your wrapper when it's out and see if that fixes the issues.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 29
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 2:05:50 PM   
sfatula

Thats why I used -skipVideo, it got annoying anyway after you've seen it once or twice. My understanding is we do not have the codecs to play the avi file on Mac so it cannot be played without running an external viewer which we can't do. You can play it, for example, in VLC. Screen sizing and playing with the screen options (full vs windowed) is always an issue with this program it appears. My settings I used in an earlier post are for windowed mode as I want to run it along with many other programs on my 27" screen, don't like full window. From running it on a virtual Windows machine, it would appear though that I had to play with the screen options in the same manner I did with Windows.

To DRF99 - yes, you can't just make your own wrapper, the trick is adding stuff to the wrapper that are needed for combat animations, sound, etc. That's the main thing I have done here. Just takes a lot of experimentation, which of course was the idea, to save everyone the hassle and time. Also added some shortcuts.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITPAE runs on Mac OSX Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI