Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How to Start a PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How to Start a PBEM Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 6/4/2012 8:26:03 AM   
fcharton

You don't need to keep a copy of the turn you just sent, you will not be able to open it after the turn is closed, and the turn sent by your opponent will replace it, anyway. It is a good idea, though, to make a copy of the turn you just received (post AAR if you play Japan), or, at least, not delete the email too soon. Not everything you do when playing a turn can be undone.

Francois

(in reply to 39battalion)
Post #: 31
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 6/4/2012 10:15:28 AM   
39battalion

Thanks Francois !

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 32
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 1/23/2013 2:59:08 PM   
sanderz

Am thinking of trying a PBEM game so am giving this a bump for any other PBEM virgins out there.

EDIT
yes i tried to bump a sticky doh!!!

< Message edited by sanderz -- 1/23/2013 3:34:56 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/12/2013 12:53:31 PM   
Richard III

Is it possible ( and ethical ) in the Dec 7 surprise with historic start on, to save the Japanese Dec 7 turn order phase before End Turn as a standard opening in new PBEM`s and just plug it into new games ?

As much as I`d like another campaign PBEM, I really don`t think I can do another  12+  hour J Dec 7 orders phase...

R III

“History would be a wonderful thing – if it were only true.”

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 34
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/12/2013 1:20:11 PM   
Quixote

Yes it's possible, and historical first turn or not, I personally don't see anything ethically wrong with it. (With a historical first turn, though, all you're really doing is typing in a password anyway, so there's not really anything worth saving. I assume since you spent 12 hours on the turn that you meant to say that you were playing with historical first turn off?) With a non-historical start, you can always go back in and modify a few orders for the things you want to change for your next game without having to re-do the other 11 hours worth of work, but note that you will be stuck with any air transfers you ordered, and with loading orders for ships with troops, which will cut down on your flexibility to change things up in your next game. A decent compromise is to issue orders to all of your land units and air units (without transferring anything), then save this as your base start. You would still have 5 or 6 hours of work when you start a new game, but not your full 12, while still retaining the flexibility to alter things if you choose to go in a different direction in your next game.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 35
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/14/2013 1:10:31 AM   
Richard III

I have 2 PBEM going and the wpa001 overwrite each other since they have the same file name...and the wrong files get sent out what's the best way to avoid that...

(yes I am a PBEM transfer Dope)

TIA

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 36
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/14/2013 1:37:34 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

I have 2 PBEM going and the wpa001 overwrite each other since they have the same file name...and the wrong files get sent out what's the best way to avoid that...

(yes I am a PBEM transfer Dope)

TIA

Many of us use multiple folders for AE. You should search the forum to get the threads where various of us posted pics and lots of instructions, but basically:
- install AE
- Copy the whole folder tree
- rename the copy to be what you want
- set up shortcuts that point to the copy

Now you have a "separate installation" to use for another PBM. Be sure to install it's own copy of Tracker, Intel Monkey, etc. or you will run into problems similar to what you already described.

Post #: 37
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/14/2013 3:00:11 PM   
Richard III

Thanks, I will do that.

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/15/2013 5:46:59 AM   
Lokasenna

I use multiple folders as well. Big part of why it took me an entire afternoon to get up and running for our game.

Post #: 39
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 7/15/2013 4:19:25 PM   
Richard III

Yeah.... I just did that as well, better way to go & then get the command line switches up.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I use multiple folders as well. Big part of why it took me an entire afternoon to get up and running for our game.

¯ Leo Tolstoy

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 40
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 12/16/2013 2:58:11 PM   
el lobo

I am confused about the naming of the game files (for pbem games).

The manual says;

Give the game a name with a turn number that allows you to readily know what turn it is and which side created it. (example: Allies3, Jap3, Turn3a or Turn3j)

What I am seeing in this thread, and my own game, is that the game name is the slot # and the players are passing this same name back and forth. So where do you give the game the names (a different name for each half-turn?) as suggested by the manual?

Tracker suggest;

To keep a large number of turns, a good idea would be to take the save games and name them with a turn number. For example, if your slot is 22, the save file name is wpae022.pws. So you can keep turn one as wpae022.pws.001 and turn two as wpae022.pws.002, etc. This works nicely for the Multi-Turn reading function.

Is this a copy of each turn renamed?

I would appreciate it if someone could explain this for me.

TIA

el lobo

El Lobo (J) vs Rio Bravo (A)
Rio Bravo's AAR - "The War College"
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3851786

Gamey is not a game style. It is someone's definition.

Post #: 41
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 12/16/2013 7:21:23 PM   
CaptDave

I think everyone does it differently, but here's my procedure. I use one slot for the game as it is in progress, and this is also the file I pass back and forth to and from my opponent. Let's say it's Slot 50 (since it is, in my current game). You're correct, this is wpae050.pws. The internal name is simply whatever he named it, since he's the Japanese player.

When I get a new turn I immediately open it and save it in a second slot, in this case 6x where x represents the units digit of the turn number. Thus, Slot 60 is used for turns 10, 20, 30, etc.; Slot 61 is turns 1, 11, 21, etc. This gives me an archive of 10 "start of turn" files, with internal names to that effect (Dave vs. David - Start of Turn 12).

Before ending the orders phase I do an end-of-turn save to the 7x slot, so I also have a 10-game archive of end-of-turn files. After this save I end the orders phase, save to Slot 50, and hope I remember to send it to my opponent right away!

By always using the same slot (50) for the active game, even in the middle of the turn, I never have to worry about overwriting an archived version. By keeping the archives I can go back and review anything for 10 turns, and I have them available in case we need technical support. Of course, all the emails are also archived, so I have every turn available there if I really need one of them.

(in reply to el lobo)
Post #: 42
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 10/16/2014 3:01:42 PM   
sfjdfyuyj

Thanks ADM DadMan! perfect timing as I'm about to set up my first game.

Post #: 43
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 9/15/2015 1:54:57 AM   
Sheytan

Thanks I have to refer to your excellent info all the time over the years to play lol.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

The Japanese Player is the one who starts the process.

Start the game program.

Set all REALISIM OPTIONS, GAME OPTIONS, and PREFERENCES. It is important to record your settings and send them to your opponent. (Personally, I send screen shots).

On the main screen click on PLAY BY EMAIL.

Click on SCENARIO SELECTION, then pick your scenario. Click SELECT SCENARIO, then START GAME.

Here's what should happen:

Enter Password when prompted for it.
(enter orders if you are not using Historical Start, then end turn.)
The game will then go to the Save Game Menu
Choose a save game slot (for example, 005), click on it to select.
Click the "save" button at the bottom of the screen.
When it's done saving, click "Exit" to the bottom right.

Now go into the WitP:AE SAVE directory (\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SAVE) to retrieve your file. (I make a shortcut on my desktop for easy access).
Send the save game file (wpae005.pws) to your Allied buddy.

Allied Player drops the wpae005.pws into his SAVE folder
Start WitP:AE
It is a good idea to set your game using the same EXACT settings as your partner.
Choose LOAD A SAVED GAME.
Then choose the same game file (wpae005.pws), and then click SELECT SAVE GAME button
Enter Password when prompted.
Enter orders and end turn, unless you are using Historical Start. The game will go to the Save Game Menu
Save game to the same slot as loaded from (005).
Click the "save" button at the bottom of the screen.
When it's done saving, click "Exit" to the bottom right.
Allied player sends the same file (wpae005.pws) back to the Japan Player

Japan player loads the save game file (005) enters password, the game will generate the first turn, and you're off!

When you're each done entering orders, you use the "e" key or "end turn" icon.

The flow of turns is now pretty simple:
Japan player loads 005 file, which generates the 001 combat replay save file, and then enters orders.
Japan player sends TWO files to the Allied Player: turn save file (wpae005.pws) and combat replay save file (wpae001.pws)
The Japan Player may at his discretion also send the combatreport.txt file as well, but it is not necessary.

Allied player loads 001 file to view results and generate reports
Load 005 file to enter orders
Allied player sends ONE file to the Japan Player: turn save file (wpae005.pws) only

*** A word of note: If you are using Historical Start, you do NOT get to enter ANY orders on the intitial set up turn! The game will go straight to the Save Game screen. This applies to Scenarios 1 and 2 (Dec 7 start) only***

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 44
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 3/14/2016 8:56:30 PM   
Admiral DadMan

The instruction set in the first post has been re-written for clarity:

How to Start a PBEM

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 45
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 6/6/2020 9:48:42 AM   
mosessan20

Better do not remove any files from game folder.

Post #: 46
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 1/11/2022 8:32:25 AM   
Axe1999

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I dont want to clutter forum with new one.

Im currently two weeks in my current PBEM and I would like to install some art mods, ship sides, aircraft, GUI in general. Will that cause any issues, as long as it is purely visual mods?

(in reply to mosessan20)
Post #: 47
RE: How to Start a PBEM - 1/12/2022 8:37:16 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axe1999

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I dont want to clutter forum with new one.

Im currently two weeks in my current PBEM and I would like to install some art mods, ship sides, aircraft, GUI in general. Will that cause any issues, as long as it is purely visual mods?

No . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Axe1999)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How to Start a PBEM Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI