Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice on bombing a port

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Advice on bombing a port Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 6:12:25 PM   
amon15

I am at first turn of the Great campaign with Japan, and i have decided, instead of bombing the airfields in PI, i decided to attack the subs in harbor at Manila, so what attack parameters would you suggest for maximum damage?
I opted for a massive attack with all bombers that are in range, to sink or disable as many subs as possible, which altitude would you suggest for the bombers? I have "december 7th surprise" turned on

< Message edited by amon15 -- 9/18/2015 7:18:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 6:46:37 PM   
Amoral

Manila starts with no big AA guns. You can attack very low without suffering flak losses. 4000' avoids the rifle caliber flak that is present, and is high enough to use the regular NAVB bombing skill (instead of low nav)

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 7:19:21 PM   
crsutton

The higher the DL the greater the odds of damage but that may not apply on the first day.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 7:58:58 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

The higher the DL the greater the odds of damage but that may not apply on the first day.

Wouldn't the large DL boost you get for using a recon type aircraft still apply.

"Most" recon missions seem to execute before strike missions.

I see a smattering of recon missions executing intermingled with strike missions but most turns a large number of recon missions typically execute before the strikes.

Sending in recon and getting lucky enough for it to execute before the strike should give a boost to the DL and increased hits and damage.

Hans

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 8:16:10 PM   
amon15

DL?
I get it from the context that it means reconnaissance intelligence, but for what does the DL stand for?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/18/2015 8:50:05 PM   
HansBolter

Detection Level.

Everything you know about the enemy dispositions are dependent on DL.

DL changes constantly and is reset every turn.

DL determines what you do and do not see on the map and how much is revealed about the content of the forces you do see.

DL also has a large impact on bomb hits and damage.

I advise reading the manual section on DL.

I had to read it three or four times to really understand it and glean the ramifications from it.

Bombers perform their own recon and a bomber mission to a target will give a small boost to DL (I think 1 or 2 point IIRC).

Recon type aircraft flying a recon mission (this means camera equipped planes) as opposed to using a non recon bomber type on a recon mission gives a much larger boost to DL (4 points IIRC).

Hans

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 6
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/19/2015 8:10:36 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: amon15

I am at first turn of the Great campaign with Japan, and i have decided, instead of bombing the airfields in PI, i decided to attack the subs in harbor at Manila, so what attack parameters would you suggest for maximum damage?
I opted for a massive attack with all bombers that are in range, to sink or disable as many subs as possible, which altitude would you suggest for the bombers? I have "december 7th surprise" turned on

Read s.18.1.6 of the manual.

The attack will target all the Allied ships and vessels at Manila. There is no way to target only the subs in the port.

Alfred

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 7
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/19/2015 2:13:37 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Wouldn't the large DL boost you get for using a recon type aircraft still apply.

"Most" recon missions seem to execute before strike missions.

I see a smattering of recon missions executing intermingled with strike missions but most turns a large number of recon missions typically execute before the strikes.

Sending in recon and getting lucky enough for it to execute before the strike should give a boost to the DL and increased hits and damage.

Yes, you are right. I have noticed that most recon missions fly first, so it is a good idea to set them even on the first day.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/19/2015 6:14:19 PM   
Yaab

quote:

Suppose you have no knowledge of the AA force composition in Manila. You could fly at 11,000 feet to be above the 40mm AA range, or if you want to risk a bit, fly at 6,000 feet, so you can still use Ground Bombing skill of the pilots.

(in reply to amon15)
Post #: 9
RE: Advice on bombing a port - 9/20/2015 3:56:55 AM   
amon15

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Read s.18.1.6 of the manual.

The attack will target all the Allied ships and vessels at Manila. There is no way to target only the subs in the port.

Alfred

Well, i know that the attack will target all the ships at port, that's why my goal is to concentrate as much airplanes at this port to potentially disable/sink most or all the subs that are at this port, because i am sure later in the war those subs will prove a greater threat than those bombers at clark field. i am guessing that they might have around 25 subs at the port, if i at least succed at damaging them all so that they will be unable to leave the port, i can sink them later with consecutive airstrikes at turns 2-3-4, which will critically impair their sub-ops on my resource/fuel convoys headed to the japanese mainland at least for a year. Dealing with 5-10 subs is a lot better than dealing with 40-50 :)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Advice on bombing a port Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI