Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about planets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about planets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about planets - 9/20/2015 3:09:51 PM   
elmo3

Back playing after a long layoff and have a question about planets. Is there any screen that shows all discovered planets and their type? Reason I ask is that when trying to decided what colonization module to build it would be helpful to see the information on one screen rather than having to search every system manually. Obviously if there are 10 marshy swamp planets nearby and only 1 continental then I'm going to build the marshy swamp module first. Hope that makes sense.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Post #: 1
RE: Question about planets - 9/20/2015 5:08:41 PM   
Shark7

The expansion planner has all that info. It can be filtered in a way to show planets by type or by distance from your capital.

Remember the color keys:

Green planets are in a system you have already colonized
Yellow Planets have a pirate or monster threat, or a potentially hostile independent population
White Planets are colonizable, but not in your owned systems.
Red means it is either our of range, not colonizable, or has a hostile independent population

I use the expansion planner for determining which planets I will colonize, since it is far easier to arrange them by either the type I am looking for, or the ones that are closest. Of course, later in the game, the list can become quite long, so that could be an issue for you late game.

Also, since planets in green can not be colonized by another empire, I back-burner these in favor or getting systems I don't already own in order to push my borders and gain control of more territory.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about planets - 9/20/2015 9:46:47 PM   
Thrake

Bottom left button around mini map can also help. It combines a view of the galaxy and a system of your choice and you can also have systems highlighted depending on planet type.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about planets - 9/21/2015 2:34:46 AM   
HerpInYourDerp

The 'g' key is the shortcut for the aforementioned galaxy view popup.

(in reply to Thrake)
Post #: 4
RE: Question about planets - 9/21/2015 10:18:02 AM   
elmo3

OK, thanks. Will look at the expansion planner again. I only thought it showed colonizable planets which would not help since I'm looking for which colony module to build next. So I need to see all planets that are discovered but are not yet colonizable. Will try the "g" shortcut as well.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to HerpInYourDerp)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about planets - 9/21/2015 11:59:15 AM   
Bingeling

There is no way to filter based on planet type. So the colony lists will only shows spots you can currently colonize.

Thus, to find that juicy 100% desert colony prospect while you have no desert colonization ability/tech is a very manual and boring task. A task better not done.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about planets - 9/21/2015 1:22:58 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

By using the "Resource Targets by Galaxy Priority" setting on the pull down menu of the expansion planner you should be able to locate all planets, regardless of type, you have discovered in the game to date, as long as they have a resource. Using the "All Resources" setting you can then sort by either the filter heading "Type" or "Quality" to priorities what you are searching for. Granted, even if a plant has 100% quality, it will not be displayed if it contains no resources, so you will not find everything. Still much faster than manually attempting to locate targets. As Bingeling pointed out, though, without the ability to colonize, it becomes a rather abstract exercise.

< Message edited by Uncle Lumpy -- 9/21/2015 2:39:06 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about planets - 9/21/2015 2:13:35 PM   
elmo3

Thanks. I wold do the exercise to tell me which colony module to research next so as to give me the most/best planets to colonize.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 9/21/2015 3:14:46 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 8
RE: Question about planets - 9/23/2015 3:06:52 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

There is no way to filter based on planet type. So the colony lists will only shows spots you can currently colonize.

Ahhhh, sure there is :)

Expansion Planner third column header - Type

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Question about planets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI