Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pilot Training Questions, leaders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pilot Training Questions, leaders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pilot Training Questions, leaders - 9/24/2015 7:25:00 AM   
sfatula

Looking at the starting position of a scenario, I can see that a unit may have 10 planes, and, 10 pilots. One of them is a leader. So, it would appear the leader would also fly therefore. Do you ever get more leaders, i.e., can you train leaders?

So, now I want to form a training unit. So, I bring in pool pilots, and, put them all on training in some skill set. When I do this, am I not risking the leader to an operational loss? I take it he flies also?

Let's say I have 10 planes in a training unit, should I have 20 pilots, what is the rule? Or, does it do no good for a training unit to have more pilots than planes?

I see people saying set training percent to 100. Won't this fatigue the trainees?

Is it of any use at all to bother training in a scenario such as Guadalcanal for the Japanese side? While it does last a while, I see a large reserve pool. Having not played it yet, I am not sure if I would normally run out of trained pilots or not. And, unsure as to whether or not I could get any useful pilots out of training if I had out of the combat zone air units I could devote to training.
Post #: 1
RE: Pilot Training Questions, leaders - 9/24/2015 3:47:05 PM   
GetAssista

You can always put pilot-leader in a group reserve and he will not fly unless few pilots remain in group.
Or you can spend PP and pick another leader, and this one will never be a pilot and does not show up in group pilot roster.

The higher planes/pilots ratio the quicker is the training, although gains seem to be marginal when near to full rosters from my experience. You will get some training even when there is 1 plane per 36 newbies (representative japanese training daitai). But 10 planes is much better. And full 27 planes is marginally better than 10.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 2
RE: Pilot Training Questions, leaders - 9/24/2015 4:32:07 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: sfatula

Looking at the starting position of a scenario, I can see that a unit may have 10 planes, and, 10 pilots. One of them is a leader. So, it would appear the leader would also fly therefore. Do you ever get more leaders, i.e., can you train leaders?

So, now I want to form a training unit. So, I bring in pool pilots, and, put them all on training in some skill set. When I do this, am I not risking the leader to an operational loss? I take it he flies also?

Let's say I have 10 planes in a training unit, should I have 20 pilots, what is the rule? Or, does it do no good for a training unit to have more pilots than planes?

I see people saying set training percent to 100. Won't this fatigue the trainees?

Is it of any use at all to bother training in a scenario such as Guadalcanal for the Japanese side? While it does last a while, I see a large reserve pool. Having not played it yet, I am not sure if I would normally run out of trained pilots or not. And, unsure as to whether or not I could get any useful pilots out of training if I had out of the combat zone air units I could devote to training.

Usually a new squadron just anoints a leader from the pilots it pulls in. Typically in this case, the leader files. You can change the leader - most don't fly (but some do). The name of a flying leader is marked with a "*" in the leader selection screen. Sadly though, for these flying leaders, you can't actually see his flying skills (without also finding him in the manually select pilots screen), so it is quite possible to end up with, say, a dive bomber pilot in a fighter squadron.
You can set the leader to group reserve if you don't want to risk him. This is useful for combat missions, but for training ops losses are low to non existent, so not really worth the effort. Care must be taken though when you do this, as if you hit the "get pilot" button, the game will first grab pilots from group reserve. So after you get the pilots you want, you have to go back and put your leader in group reserve again.
Of course if you select a non-flying leader (most leaders are non-flying) you don't have to worry about this.

When flying, leaders can gain flying skills and experience. Leadership skills can also increase throughout a game, but I don't know how. In a several month long experiment I did, none of the leaders gained more than a point of skill - so I don't think it is worth it to put a leader in a training squadron just to gain leadership skills.

As for plane / pilot ratio, you want as many pilots as you can get, but you want that ration as close to 1 as you can get it. In other words (assuming a long term training program, not I need a few pilots in a month), fill pilots to max then put as many airframes in the squadron as you can. If you are short airframes, split them as evenly as you can between groups.
If you are not training though, and are seasoning pilots (flying CAP at secondary bases or some such), this is not true, as the game chooses the "best" pilots for a mission factoring in pilot skill, experience, and fatigue. So what happens is if you are short a significant number of airframes, some pilots (about 2x number of airframes) will fly all the missions, and the rest will just get forgotten.

I have training at 100% and 0 range and I'm not sure I have any ops losses. Unrealistic, but this is a game. Ops losses across the board are lower than the real war.

Can't help you with the short scenario stuff... I don't have experience there. If it helps (assuming full pilots / full airframes) it takes about 4 months to turn a 25 exp rookie into 50 exp cannon fodder with near 70 skill in 2 things (not including defN).

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 3
RE: Pilot Training Questions, leaders - 9/24/2015 7:01:05 PM   
sfatula

Thanks guys, both of you were *very* helpful. I won't sweat losing one leader to some rare ops loss, was not aware it was that rare, and, thought all leaders were flyers, so, expected this in all squadrons. Not worth worrying about at least in Guad. But, 4 months IS worth worrying about in Guad as the scenario lasts way longer than that.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Pilot Training Questions, leaders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI