Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, what?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, what? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, what? - 9/24/2015 11:07:59 AM   
Sakai007

http://news.yahoo.com/france-says-egypt-buy-warships-russia-deal-scrapped-112316945.html?soc_src=copy

I can understand the FREMM warships and Rafale 'omni-role' fighters, but two Mistral helo assault ships? Honestly didn't see that one coming.
Post #: 1
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 11:13:54 AM   
Dysta

To my understanding, it is a middle-eastern arm race, especially the global effect from Yemen war and Syrian chaos. Egypt surely could use her money from canal passing fees for the navy.

(in reply to Sakai007)
Post #: 2
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 11:38:53 AM   
AlGrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta
Egypt surely could use her money from canal passing fees for the navy.

And the recent find of a 'Supergiant' gas field just off Egypt's coast won't do them any harm when it comes to funding further purchases. Even if they don't become an exporter they won't be paying to import gas from Israel.
http://globalriskinsights.com/2015/09/supergiant-gas-field-could-transform-egypts-energy-industry/

< Message edited by AlGrant -- 9/24/2015 1:06:39 PM >

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 3
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 11:54:10 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

If Egypt turns around and sells the Mistrals to russia I will laugh

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 4
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 12:49:57 PM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

Or laugh even harder if French-Egypt deal breaks again.

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 5
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 2:14:34 PM   
SSN754planker

Pretty sure there is a no resale clause in the contract. US does similar terms when we sell ships to other countries.

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 6
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 4:33:21 PM   
ExNusquam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

IIRC, the purchase of the Mistrals is being funded in part by the Saudis, who have no love of Russia at the moment.

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 7
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 4:40:43 PM   
thewood1

Does Egypt have experience running large and complex ships like that...I would have thought the Saudi navy would buy them before Egypt.

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 8
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/24/2015 4:50:43 PM   
ExNusquam

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Does Egypt have experience running large and complex ships like that...I would have thought the Saudi navy would buy them before Egypt.

Egypt's navy is larger and more diverse than the Saudi force, which is composed of a couple of frigates and a decent number of patrol vessels. I don't think Egypt has experience operating large ships like a Mistral (Until this year the biggest ship they had was an FFG-7), but Egypt has a significant number of amphibious landing craft. The pre-existing amphibious capability means they can put the Mistral to actual use once in service.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/25/2015 9:45:49 AM   
Casinn

I'd imagine France would be happy to train with them for future deals or basing rights or similar?

(in reply to ExNusquam)
Post #: 10
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/25/2015 10:02:32 AM   
AlGrant

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casinn

I'd imagine France would be happy to train with them for future deals or basing rights or similar?

I would guess so.
DCNS have just handed over a FREMM frigate to Egypt. Part of the deal includes a 5 year support package. DCNS also built the Mistral's so I suspect it would include something similar.
http://www.janes.com/article/52534/egypt-receives-its-first-fremm-frigate

And it says 'operational training' provided by DCI-NAVFCO ttp://www.groupedci.com/en/activities/navfco/

Obviously operational 'training' is a different matter to actually deploying on real world operations!

(in reply to Casinn)
Post #: 11
RE: And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, ... - 9/25/2015 8:08:15 PM   
AlanChan

I think every one would be happy about the deal:
Saudis had Pakis secured its boarders with Yemen, now it has Egyptians doing offensives for them, spared their army which wasted too much Abrams, Apache and AMXs.
Egyptians got new toy and a new way of generating revenues for their nation- army outsourcing.
Americans sell Saudis more Abrams, Apache, probably PAC-3 MSEs.
Frenches get rid of those two Mistrals, plus sold a few Rafale and FREMMs.
Russians sold a few Ka-50/52, probably a few "retired" Russian pilots would operate them on broad Mistrals, they still get the experience of operating Heli on LHAs.
Chinese could keep selling light arms, ATGMs to both sides and could buy debris of Abrams and Apaches from local elders for a few million bucks.

You see, except Yemenis, every body is happy.

< Message edited by AlanChan -- 9/25/2015 9:10:28 PM >

(in reply to AlGrant)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> And the Mistral's are going to....Egypt!!!...wait, what? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI