Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Who is playing BaB?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Who is playing BaB? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Who is playing BaB? - 9/28/2015 11:52:50 AM   
Blind Sniper

It seems there are few MP games ongoing, only 11 topics in the Oppenent Wanted section.

Do you fight against the AI or simply few players around?

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

Post #: 1
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/28/2015 12:42:39 PM   
jhdeerslayer

I'm relatively new and just playing against the AI for now. Some games just seem to have quiet forums and not sure why. Look at WITE and WITW for example. Big difference. Maybe the scope or tactical options in the game drives the traffic.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 2
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/28/2015 1:46:58 PM   
Ironclad

Multiplayer and indeed the forum doesn't seem to have generated the interest which the game deserves but hopefully the next release in the series will provide a relaunch opportunity and so expand the player community to provide for more available opponents. There are planned to be more big battles which makes sense as the 2 player Manassas has proved the most challenging and popular (In addition there is a 2 player Williamsburg 2 day battle out for beta testing). Apparently a multiplayer patch is being readied but its release will be dependent on what is included in the next BAB.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/28/2015 4:51:19 PM   
zakblood

i only play the AI

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 4
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/28/2015 10:48:20 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Look at WITE and WITW for example. Big difference. Maybe the scope or tactical options in the game drives the traffic.

Oh well, WitW is boring after few plays (we will see with the new realese), WitE is decisively more varied.

quote:

There are planned to be more big battles which makes sense as the 2 player Manassas has proved the most challenging and popular (In addition there is a 2 player Williamsburg 2 day battle out for beta testing).

I like these battles too, fight Gettysburg will be daunting!

quote:

i only play the AI

Never bored to fight the same tactics?

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 9/28/2015 11:48:48 PM >

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/29/2015 6:00:48 AM   
zakblood

no not really, as the statics change if you make them go different way, so it's a different fight, was upto 200+ battles when i beta tested it, now over 500+ fought but gave up counting tbh ages ago.

i mod my own maps and troops, so that adds to the length of time i can enjoy it, but without it, there's years in this game, it just all depends on you willing to try new stuff, as it's time, spend time on learning the game, learning how it works, then how to get around stuff, different plans, going in different directions get different results, don't follow history always, make your own...

most of all, play it your way and enjoy it

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 6
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/29/2015 1:10:47 PM   
kennonlightfoot

In the process of moving to new house in October so keeping my game commitment to a minimum. Hopefully sometime in November I can put some challenges out there. Game does need some major battle scenarios besides First Manassas. Hopefully Second Manassas isn't to far in the future.

Kennon

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/29/2015 1:11:43 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

i only play the AI

Yeah and Zakblood's own intelligence is also artificial.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 9/29/2015 2:55:14 PM   
zakblood

tis true

01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100010 01101111 01110100

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 9
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/5/2015 4:39:41 AM   
Gil R.

Echoing what's written above, the forum has indeed been quieter than we'd hoped, which is a sign of a relatively small community. But it is indeed our hope (and expectation) that the next two releases, both devoted to major battles and both quite likely to appear next year, will get the joint jumping a bit more.

In the meantime, perhaps there will be more people willing to try these smaller battles, each of which is quite interesting, and each of which is fought on some very interesting terrain.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 10
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/5/2015 4:45:33 AM   
rickier65

I only play vs the AI and the game is pretty solid in single player mode. I'm looking forward to the next battles.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/5/2015 11:54:25 AM   
barkhorn45

I know it probably sounds silly but i stopped playing because of the screen.
The unit info box on bottom left takes up alot of screen size and when multiple commands present
really restricts the view.
If it could be slid down like the dc campaigns game it would help,
or if when you click on an empty hex it disappears.
A lot of the info you need appears when you hover over a hex.
Just my opinion but enough that i have'nt played in month's.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 12
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/20/2015 1:05:48 PM   
RobearGWJ

I still enjoy the game and play exclusively against the AI. I read the forums occasionally, but I'm quiet because I'm happy. :-)

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 13
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/20/2015 1:36:05 PM   
zakblood

that's good to hear, glad you enjoy it, same as me

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/20/2015 2:36:29 PM >

(in reply to RobearGWJ)
Post #: 14
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/20/2015 8:28:10 PM   
jimi3

I agree that you might be hitting a smaller community with these battles. I think you have the serious Civil War students on board. I have always toured the eastern battlefields. As a direct result of BaB, I traveled to Mill Springs in June. Actually pretty close to Michigan off I-75. Didn't know much about Kentucky battles until then. Mill Springs is a great battlefield to interpret. As always, you have to see the terrain. Terrain is such a key to this one and you handled it very well. I just got back from Perryville. I would love to see that battle in a future release !!! Also AI only for me.

Cheers, Jim

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 15
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/21/2015 9:25:36 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimi3

I agree that you might be hitting a smaller community with these battles. I think you have the serious Civil War students on board. I have always toured the eastern battlefields. As a direct result of BaB, I traveled to Mill Springs in June. Actually pretty close to Michigan off I-75. Didn't know much about Kentucky battles until then. Mill Springs is a great battlefield to interpret. As always, you have to see the terrain. Terrain is such a key to this one and you handled it very well. I just got back from Perryville. I would love to see that battle in a future release !!! Also AI only for me.

+1 on the terrain comments. Have visited many major and obscure battlefields (some multiple times) in both the western and eastern theatres. IMHO, walking the terrain substantially increases the understanding of any battlefield. Btw, also visited Perryville (2nd time there), Mill Springs, and Richmond, KY in August.

AI only for me too.

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 16
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/22/2015 12:45:44 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Echoing what's written above, the forum has indeed been quieter than we'd hoped, which is a sign of a relatively small community. But it is indeed our hope (and expectation) that the next two releases, both devoted to major battles and both quite likely to appear next year, will get the joint jumping a bit more.

In the meantime, perhaps there will be more people willing to try these smaller battles, each of which is quite interesting, and each of which is fought on some very interesting terrain.

I would be one of those waiting for bigger battles to enter in. Gettyburg anyone?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 17
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 2:57:25 AM   
nicwb

I generally play the AI - real life commitments make me too unreliable for 2 player.

I know a lot of posters want a BvB Gettysburg but to be honest I'm a bit jaded with that - very tacttical level civil wargame seems to focus on Gettysburg and ignores the host of smaller battles that make up the bulk of the war. Bv B also benefits from the designers obvious love and interest in the period - the research and detail of the individual units is excellent. My 2 cents worth - I'd be happy to see more smaller less famous battles in any future updates.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 18
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 4:52:25 AM   
zakblood

^^ agreed, i also think the smaller ones would be more interesting as well, not only the biggest

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 19
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 6:17:03 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

As I think I've written elsewhere, our thinking was that we should start with these particular battles both because it is thematically appealing to have the first release be about the first battles AND it made sense to start with smaller battles so that we could get any kinks worked out of the system before moving on to giant battles. The unfortunate result has been a (perhaps predictable?) lack of enthusiasm for the relatively obscure battles. But, of course, each of these battles is quite interesting, even if some are on the small side.

That's pretty cool that you went to Mill Springs, which is indeed relatively easy to reach if one is coming down I-75. I'm glad that what you saw matches our maps!

As for Perryville, it's definitely one that we hope to do, but whereas it would have been in BAB#3, now that we have changed our release schedule it would be in BAB#4 or #5. So the wait is going to be 2+ years. (I have not visited Perryville yet, but look forward to it. I do highly recommend Fort Donelson, which is a beautiful site, located as it is above a river. Both a history and nature hike rolled into one.)

(in reply to jimi3)
Post #: 20
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 6:20:14 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

quote:

+1 on the terrain comments. Have visited many major and obscure battlefields (some multiple times) in both the western and eastern theatres. IMHO, walking the terrain substantially increases the understanding of any battlefield. Btw, also visited Perryville (2nd time there), Mill Springs, and Richmond, KY in August.

AI only for me too.

Do you recommend visiting the Richmond battlefield? We are not planning it for BAB -- at roughly 13,000 men involved it is only 2500 or so men larger than Mill Springs -- but I would still want to visit there if it's worth doing so.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 21
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 6:23:08 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb

I generally play the AI - real life commitments make me too unreliable for 2 player.

I know a lot of posters want a BvB Gettysburg but to be honest I'm a bit jaded with that - very tacttical level civil wargame seems to focus on Gettysburg and ignores the host of smaller battles that make up the bulk of the war. Bv B also benefits from the designers obvious love and interest in the period - the research and detail of the individual units is excellent. My 2 cents worth - I'd be happy to see more smaller less famous battles in any future updates.

I hear you, and of course appreciate what you're saying. But from a business standpoint we need to have a larger community of players, so it makes sense for our next two releases to have very large battles before we can focus again in part on the less obvious ones. (Doing so might have the added benefit of a larger modding community. And just maybe at least one or two people with skills at map-making who can make some of the lesser battles that BAB will not be covering.)

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 22
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/23/2015 9:35:28 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

quote:

quote:

AI only for me too.

Do you recommend visiting the Richmond battlefield? We are not planning it for BAB -- at roughly 13,000 men involved it is only 2500 or so men larger than Mill Springs -- but I would still want to visit there if it's worth doing so.

Yes..it was well worth my time. A well laid out set of walking trails with some very good interpretive markers. Also, an active local preservation effort continues to upgrade the site.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 23
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/24/2015 7:01:43 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobearGWJ

I still enjoy the game and play exclusively against the AI. I read the forums occasionally, but I'm quiet because I'm happy. :-)

I'd fully agree with this.

I really like the game, I appreciate that for the most part as the player you can rely on being intuitive but that there is a mass of detail if you want to delve in. With that mindset the AI gives a good opponent.

(in reply to RobearGWJ)
Post #: 24
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 10/31/2015 4:17:10 PM   
kennonlightfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Speaking of larger battles, please consider modifying the multiplayer system so it really supports multiplayer. The BAB game system is ideal for playing multiplayer (4+) games where each player takes on the command duties for a particular general or leader level, since all orders are issued before the turn is actually executed. Just need a way to assign more than two players to an online game and associate them with a side. When all the players for a side have completed their commands and submitted them the game would execute the turn after the last one did his entries. This is something BAB can do that other game systems have serious problems handing since they are inherently two player.

AI only for me too.

Yes..it was well worth my time. A well laid out set of walking trails with some very good interpretive markers. Also, an active local preservation effort continues to upgrade the site.

Kennon

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 25
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 11/9/2015 7:18:51 AM   
Chromey

if ur looking for some more stratigicul multiplayer goodnuess check out these fellers here http://www.sowmp.com/gcm

or even these guys here if u also like the Napoleanic theater http://www.thelordz.org/

but bewarned these are real time games and thus a much different Animal!

Also if u love Hex based turn based games u got Pike and Shot and Battle Academy whom both use Matrixes Pbem server but since they're Matrix games Im sure you already have em :)

(in reply to kennonlightfoot)
Post #: 26
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 11/9/2015 4:20:48 PM   
zakblood

real time turns me off, sorry

(in reply to Chromey)
Post #: 27
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 11/9/2015 7:35:32 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

real time turns me off, sorry

Me too.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 28
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 11/9/2015 8:02:05 PM   
Ironclad

Likewise. It requires more swift coordination than I can manage these days (pause button or not).

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 29
RE: Who is playing BaB? - 11/12/2015 1:28:47 PM   
kennonlightfoot

The draw backs of real time games are they require considerable coordination of time between the players involved. You must arrange to have those you want to play online at a specific time and be able to set aside a large block of time so you can complete the game. For large battles that block of time can be considerable. It quickly becomes to much trouble to just play a game. PBEM has no problems like that. But they do force you to use some type of alternating turns.

Kennon

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword >> Who is playing BaB? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI