Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any good movies set during these conflicts?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Any good movies set during these conflicts? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/1/2015 10:21:19 PM   
HeinzHarald

I've been trying to think of movies (not documentaries) but am drawing a blank at the moment.

Watching a movie and then reading up on what actually happened is my favorite way to learn history, and I know embarrassingly little about these conflicts.
Post #: 1
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/1/2015 10:51:23 PM   
Nico165b165

Lebanon - filmed mostly inside an inexperienced tank crew during Lebanon's invasion in 82 (warning for claustrophobics)

Kippur - about an Israeli helicopter rescue team in 73

(in reply to HeinzHarald)
Post #: 2
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/1/2015 11:05:11 PM   
Warhorse

Interesting, didn't know of these, thank you!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Nico165b165)
Post #: 3
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 12:03:50 AM   
BeirutDude

Lebanon is all in Hebrew so most of us have to used the subtitles but very good movie. The lebanon I knew and...

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 4
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 11:14:23 AM   
leftydad

There is a 2014 documentary (by Steven Spielberg's sister)about the 1948 Arab-Israeli air war, ABOVE AND BEYOND.

http://aboveandbeyondthemovie.com/

James

Post #: 5
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 2:39:58 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: leftydad

There is a 2014 documentary (by Steven Spielberg's sister)about the 1948 Arab-Israeli air war, ABOVE AND BEYOND.

http://aboveandbeyondthemovie.com/

Looks like pure class. USD 12.99 to view at iTunes. DVD pre-order for USD 14.99.

Hmm...

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 6
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 3:34:50 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

Not about the war per se, but Waltz with Bashir is an amazing look a the psychology of war and memory, set around the events of 1982 in Lebanon. There's a graphic novel, too, that is quite good. I've used both in classes I teach. The movie is animated, and quite powerful; it's depiction of combat is a far cry from the triumphalism that permeates a lot of writing about the IDF.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 7
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 3:35:36 PM   
leftydad

With Amazon Prime, you can watch it for free.

James

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 8
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 3:39:51 PM   
leftydad

SIX DAYS IN JUNE is one book I've read. By Eric Hammel. Also available as an audio book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IPG7GQ?keywords=six%20days%20in%20june&qid=1443800275&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

James

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 9
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 3:44:29 PM   
HeinzHarald

Thank you for the suggestions. They all sound very interesting.

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 10
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 4:37:32 PM   
leftydad

FYI, my grandparents came from Sweden. (To USA)

James Larson

James

Post #: 11
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 4:47:46 PM   
VegasOZ

The Movie that I know of that gives background is: EXODUS(written by Leon Uris, Stars Paul Newman). It tells the story of Israel up to the establishment of the State and covers some of the early armed conflict. I am not aware of any war movie that depicts any of the major Arab Israeli wars, however.

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 12
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 6:13:58 PM   
comte

Beaufort is a decent movie about the late war in Lebanon. It's out of the time frame of the game but still worth a watch. The Beaufort book the movie is based on by Ron Leshem is also good.

Shabbat Shalom

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 10/2/2015 7:14:58 PM >

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 13
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 6:21:54 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

The Movie that I know of that gives background is: EXODUS(written by Leon Uris, Stars Paul Newman). It tells the story of Israel up to the establishment of the State and covers some of the early armed conflict. I am not aware of any war movie that depicts any of the major Arab Israeli wars, however.

While this was one of my favorite movies as a kid (book, too), I would hesitate to offer it today as good background, as it doesn't really meet contemporary standards of balance, much less objectivity. Not that fiction has to, by any means, but the depiction of Arabs in the movie borders on caricature, and the heroic Zionist settlers trope has worn a bit thin after a generation or two more of scholarship. But yeah, we grew up on this stuff, and Newman makes a hell of a sexy hero for sure.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 14
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 6:26:12 PM   
HeinzHarald

quote:

ORIGINAL: leftydad

FYI, my grandparents came from Sweden. (To USA)

James Larson

Yeah, a lot of Swedes left for the US a few generations ago. In fact my great grandfather emigrated to the US in the mid 1920s, leaving my 1 or 2 years old grandfather and his mother behind.

- Harald Carlsson

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 15
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 7:41:23 PM   
VegasOZ

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

quote:

While this was one of my favorite movies as a kid (book, too), I would hesitate to offer it today as good background, as it doesn't really meet contemporary standards of balance, much less objectivity. Not that fiction has to, by any means, but the depiction of Arabs in the movie borders on caricature, and the heroic Zionist settlers trope has worn a bit thin after a generation or two more of scholarship. But yeah, we grew up on this stuff, and Newman makes a hell of a sexy hero for sure.

I am absolutely opposed to posting ANY kind of political content on this gaming forum and therefore will not challenge your statement.

< Message edited by VegasOZ -- 10/2/2015 8:44:18 PM >

(in reply to TheWombat_matrixforum)
Post #: 16
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 7:43:57 PM   
VegasOZ

One of my favorite movies is the "Raid on Entebbe" with Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal). Although it does not depict any of the general middle eastern combat actions it certainly is a great story about an amazing special forces action undertaken by the "Unit".

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 17
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/2/2015 8:20:01 PM   
leftydad

Bad Swede!

My Swedish grandmother couldn't adjust to things after she got here, and ended up having electro-shock therapy when they first started using it. Tough world, for sure.

James

Post #: 18
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/3/2015 3:37:17 AM   
dudalb_slith

"Cast A Giant Shadow" with Kirk Douglas, is the story of Mickey Marcus,an American West Point Graduate who fought for Israel in the 1948 war. Also features John Wayne,Yul Bryner,and Frank Sinatra in guest roles.
Not that great a movie, but some really nice battles scenes, the battle of Latrun in particular is well done. (This one is featured in the game). Also a nice Elmer Bernstein score.

(in reply to leftydad)
Post #: 19
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/3/2015 4:16:12 AM   
VegasOZ

Yes, I forgot about "Cast A Giant Shadow". I recently watched it, good movie and as far as I know it is pretty much factual as far as the life and actions of the main character.

Good combat scenes involving the Israelis versus the Jordanians as I recall.

(in reply to dudalb_slith)
Post #: 20
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/3/2015 12:30:26 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

quote:

I am absolutely opposed to posting ANY kind of political content on this gaming forum and therefore will not challenge your statement.

/shrug

If you're going to start talking about movies about one of the most politicized, emotional, and long-lasting situations in modern history, you can't keep politics out of it. All art is political--even these games we're playing. You could argue that by making games of real wars you're making statements each time you quantify the OOB or morale factors or objectives. If people want to recommend movies I'm all for it but you can't just say recommend a cultural artifact and then not allow critique. Movies, like books or any other text, don't just sit outside of their context or culture.

Yes, I'm an academic, so perhaps my take on these things is a bit different than most, but I take this sort of thing pretty seriously. If someone wanted to recommend Birth of a Nation as a great film to watch for the history of Reconstruction, it'd be hard not to comment, for instance. Hollywood, too, has a long, long history of doing a terrible job on history, particularly when it represents non-Western subjects or peoples.

But hey, I loved watching Exodus too, and it has a great soundtrack. Goodness knows it's a favorite among many folks I know. But it's mostly an adventure and love story with a historical context.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 21
RE: Any good movies set during these conflicts? - 10/3/2015 12:51:12 PM   
Nico165b165

There's also the Tv series "The Promise". The main story line happens now but there are lot of flash-back to 1946-48 following a british soldier in Palestine.

(in reply to VegasOZ)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> Any good movies set during these conflicts? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI