Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[ANSWERED] What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” setting supposed to do?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [ANSWERED] What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” setting supposed to do? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[ANSWERED] What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under at... - 10/5/2015 9:07:50 PM   
airwinger63

I’ve been throwing some AGM-78/AGM-45 against some “Big Mesh (P-3)” radars that are part of an
EW system and I have tried all of the possible settings in “Ignore EMCON while under attack” of
general tab on Doctrine & Settings screen. No matter what setting is selected, the radars stay
up right till the missiles takes them permanently off line. Looked at manual and its updates,
didn’t see anything about this setting. Look at MEGA FAQ and didn’t see either. Thanks, keep
up the great work.

Airwinger63

< Message edited by emsoy -- 1/12/2016 8:31:28 PM >

IYAOYAS

If You Ain't Ordnance You Ain't ****.
Post #: 1
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/6/2015 1:23:45 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

EMCON is generally rules to keep your radars silent; usually its for a DDG at sea with its radars silent hearing reports of incoming missiles. Ignore EMCON means the DDG will turn on the radars and jammers. With ignore EMCON off it means the DDG will stay silent.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to airwinger63)
Post #: 2
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/6/2015 8:36:17 PM   
AlexGGGG

By the way, there is a side effect. If the ship is attacked by a torpedo, it will turn everything on, active sonars (which is reasonable), air and ground radars (which is not reasonable), and ECM jammers if so equipped (which seems not reasonable as well).

I believe the ship does not need radars when dealing with the torpedo, and the undesired consequence is that the ship, by turning radars on, pretty much broadcasts its position to any third party which may be doing ELINT.

Attached is the test scenario

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 3
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/6/2015 8:49:48 PM   
airwinger63

Thanks Baloogan and AlexGGGG for your reply, however that's not answering the question, maybe I worded the question wrong.. I know what EMCOM is for.. but what is it supposed purpose/function of the “Ignore EMCON while under attack” setting in the game. Like I stated, I attacked several “Big Mesh (P-3)” radars that were part of and EW system. And each and every one of them stayed up, until the ARMs hit them. I would think at some point when they detect the attack (inbound missile) they would go off line, i.e. set EMCOM.

Airwinger63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baloogan

EMCON is generally rules to keep your radars silent; usually its for a DDG at sea with its radars silent hearing reports of incoming missiles. Ignore EMCON means the DDG will turn on the radars and jammers. With ignore EMCON off it means the DDG will stay silent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

By the way, there is a side effect. If the ship is attacked by a torpedo, it will turn everything on, active sonars (which is reasonable), air and ground radars (which is not reasonable), and ECM jammers if so equipped (which seems not reasonable as well).

I believe the ship does not need radars when dealing with the torpedo, and the undesired consequence is that the ship, by turning radars on, pretty much broadcasts its position to any third party which may be doing ELINT.

Attached is the test scenario

IYAOYAS

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 4
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/6/2015 9:05:31 PM   
AlexGGGG

In no case will radars switch OFF by themselves. The logic is that if there is a missile inbound, you want radars on to better see what happens and also to provide targeting to your own SAMs. The same applies to a standalone radar, which has no SAMs to guide. The only way you can switch the radar off is to set its EMCON to OFF manually, and also set its Ignore EMCON under attack to OFF. So it will shut down and stay so.

This is because the radar does not normally know if the incoming missile is ARM or, say, GPS- or TV-guided. So the SAM site will keep its radar active trying to shoot down the incoming missiles, and the standalone radar will also stay active.

(in reply to airwinger63)
Post #: 5
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/6/2015 9:22:15 PM   
AlexGGGG

By the way I tested and switching off the radar did not help against a HARM. I briefly turned the radar on, so enemy fired a HARM, and while it was still in flight, I turned the radar back off. Did not help me at all.

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 6
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/7/2015 12:20:52 AM   
airwinger63

quote:

By the way I tested and switching off the radar did not help against a HARM. I briefly turned the radar on, so enemy fired a HARM, and while it was still in flight, I turned the radar back off. Did not help me at all.

Understand and completely agree, that was one of the improvements of the HARM and the Standard Arm (1966-85?) both which were improvement over the AGM-45 Shrike (1964-1992?), as both of the new ARM missiles could remember where the transmitter was and continue on toward it without it radiating. And .. Overcoming the missiles' limitations, Wild Weasel crews learned to use Shrikes effectively, often using them to mark radar site for attack with unguided rockets and bombs. Even if a crew did not get a kill, Shrike missiles suppressed enemy radar sites by making them shut down to avoid getting hit.

Just ran 3 little test w/ Shrike and StARM. In three test, 6 shrike missiles missed the radar (1 by .5 miles, another by .75 miles) when it was manual shut off by the player, 2 of the three StARM malfunctioned and the 1 that didn't, missed by 682 feet. I personally see turning that radar off as a good idea when something bearing down at me, who cares who get the mission kill for today.

Ref material:

The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapons System and ..

National Museum of the U.S. Air Force (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/MuseumExhibits/FactSheets/Display/tabid/509/Article/196035/agm-45-shrike-anti-radar-missile.aspx).

Airwinger63

IYAOYAS

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 7
RE: What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” s... - 10/7/2015 9:48:46 AM   
Sardaukar

quote:

That is as designed, since HARM has location memory of targeted radar. So, while turning radar off will spoof older generation ARM like Shrike, it may not work against HARM and even less against latest version (AARGM) that has additional seeker.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to AlexGGGG)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [ANSWERED] What does the setting “Ignore EMCON under attack” setting supposed to do? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI