Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario Guide!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario Guide! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario Guide! - 10/6/2015 3:34:13 PM   
sukhoi

D-2 before Operation Torch, the first expansion for Gary Grigsby's War in the West, lands on your computer!

It’s high time to give some extra details of the new features introduced in Operation Torch. Along with the multiple new single player scenarios, we’ve worked hard to enhance the multiplayer system. The result is that Operation Torch owners will now have access to a full messaging system, will have the chance to join bigger games including 3 or 4 players and also play as co-operative air and ground commanders with another human player against the AI!

In these new game modes, players actually split control of the air planning/execution and ground movement/combat phases. So communicating well with the other general is now crucial to coordinate perfectly aerial and ground operations.

And that’s not all! We are happy to share in advance the e-book version of the Operation Torch manual. You’ll find more details about the gameplay innovations brought by this expansion and a deep historical introduction to the scenarios included. Please click here to access the manual online.

Get more information about the game from its official product page.
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 4:40:09 PM   
wpurdom

It appears that there is no campaign game to take one from Torch into Italy. Are there plans for that, and, if so, what time frame can we anticipate?

(in reply to sukhoi)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 4:51:55 PM   
Joel Billings

No plans for that kind of campaign. We're moving back east after Torch.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to wpurdom)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 6:05:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

Some multi-player screenshots from the announcement:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 6:05:37 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

OURRAH! OURRAH POBIEDA!!!

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

Post #: 5
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 6:06:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

MP Screen #2:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/6/2015 6:06:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

MP Screen #3:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 7
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 7:19:43 AM   
Rongor

quote:

Could you outline this decision a bit?
As much as I welcome hands returning to the eastern theaters, why didn't you include a campaign depicting the whole War in the West ending August 1945, now starting with Operation Torch?
I guess many would have enjoyed that. Imagine the endless amount of possibilities the player would have faced, trying out different strategies and countless "what if" approaches.

Honestly I am surprised there won't be such campaign. Playing Op. Torch will be only half the expected fun now, I was really looking forward to a consistent campaign.

Post #: 8
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 8:51:54 AM   
RedLancer

The biggest factors were time and complexity.

Firstly to create a campaign that starts in Nov 42 really requires a much more developed naval module. Adding in such a module is not trivial as it would impact the whole game. Whilst designing a naval module is a dev responsibility ask yourself how you might create one within the current construct without undoing all the other aspects of the game. I know the game pretty well and it took me 18 months to dream up a construct that might work but that is no further than scribbled notes.

Secondly and cognisant of point one the challenge of reverse engineering the AI to start earlier and be able to launch an invasion is also considerable. It is a policy decision to ensure that all the scenarios can be played by the AI on at least one side and for campaigns ideally both. It is quite possible to create a Nov 42 campaign scenario that is intended for H2H play only on the assumption the players invoke a number of houserules to mitigate the high level of naval abstraction and I stand ready to guide any memeber of the community that wants to do so as my number one priority is now looking East.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 9
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 11:23:59 AM   
tm1

hi all
I understand a lot of people are keen to get back to the Eastern Front me included and I no its been asked quite a bit in recent posts for some 1940-42 scenarios in north Africa which I'm all for most heartily as well but to which the answer to that is not at the moment so ok so how about operation Case Yellow or operation Punishment, you really don't need a naval module for either of those campaigns also look at how many small scenarios could be available to create also.
Regards

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 10
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 1:04:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

The #1 reason is really the need to add a more full naval game to take that step. That would make a lot of sense if we were heading earlier in the war, but without that it is an enormous amount of work just to expand the campaign to Torch (in the way that players would expect). As Red Lander said, if you are willing to live with some house rules, connecting them up is quite possible but we could not do it to the standard you would expect from us without putting in those other systems.

With that said, there are other plans in the works which I can't discuss yet that may satisfy your wishes, but 2by3 are focusing on the Eastern Front and Steel Tigers after Torch.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 11
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 1:45:16 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

Is the end goal still an entire Europe campaign starting in '39?Im sure I read that here several years ago after WitE was released.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 10/7/2015 2:46:30 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 2:00:36 PM   
RedLancer

There are so many things we want to do but time is always the factor as many of us have day jobs. We did consider Case Yellow but after four turns without a naval module then what? Also the data work for 1940 needs considerable work.

As an aside the game has a very powerful editor which is used in its standard form to create all the scenarios we create. It is quite possible for the community to create their own scenarios and War in the East and War Plan Orange demonstrate that Matrix/2by3 are very supportive of those wishing to pursue their own development challenges.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to tm1)
Post #: 13
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 2:01:10 PM   
Devonport

Do we have an ETA for tomorrow?

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 14
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 2:35:13 PM   
KWG

quote:

ORIGINAL: Devonport

Do we have an ETA for tomorrow?

And what TIME will that be in Birmingham, Alabama?

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Devonport)
Post #: 15
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 2:57:44 PM   
jacktimes2

Agreed. This may be the question of unbridled fiends, but exactly what time tomorrow? I am in EST (-5).

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 16
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 4:02:36 PM   
Joel Billings

I have no inside info re the exact time, but in my experience they are usually up by 1000 California time, which means 2000 GMT. Hopefully it will be earlier.

As for plans going forward, we plan on continuing to use (and improve) the map we are using for WitW that covers all of Europe and North Africa. Over time, exactly how much of WWII gets played out on this map is really a question of development resources, time and technology change. As stated above, War Plan Orange came about because a War in the Pacific player thought he could take WitP and with a bit of modifications create WPO. WitPAE was the result of some WitP community members banding together and becoming a dev team devoted to expanding WitP. Exactly how far we go with WiE will depend on the interest level of the community and the progress of technology. We have a sound base to build on, and we can already see building scenarios with both the Western Allies and the Soviets (on the same side) against the Axis. There are many people that work with Matrix including ourselves that would like to see North Africa and the Med get full treatment. It's hard to say where things will go. The good news is that there are a number of very interested and dedicated individuals that are willing to contibute their time to see these games get made.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 17
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 4:31:02 PM   
Rongor

Well, thanks a lot for explaining your thoughts behind all this!

As long as you guys continue to develop the overall War in Europe project, I am confident we will see satisfying releases in the future and tomorrow!

Post #: 18
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 8:09:25 PM   
gregb41352

Any further developments on the possibility of selling the hard-bound manual
separately to those of us who wished we purchased it in the first place?

< Message edited by gobadgers -- 10/7/2015 9:11:06 PM >

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 19
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/7/2015 8:18:20 PM   
Joel Billings

As far as I know it will be in the next batch of manuals that will be made available. Don't know when this will happen, but I'm guessing it will be before the end of the year. It clearly makes the most sense for Matrix to do this for WitW given it's got the biggest printed manual and I'm sure Matrix would like to be able to sell their inventory of manuals to interested customers.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to gregb41352)
Post #: 20
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/8/2015 8:56:48 AM   
Rongor

May I ask why Operation Torch is not in the "Spotlight" on Matrixgames website's frontpage today?
Also why is the Beta application still available?

Post #: 21
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/8/2015 11:47:28 AM   
Erik Rutins

Because the release has not happened yet, but will shortly.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 22
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/18/2015 4:07:55 AM   
Llyranor

Do any other Gary Grisby games or expansions include a similar co-op experience?

Also, are these co-op features only for the new scenarios, or the full War in the West campaign as well?

< Message edited by Llyranor -- 10/18/2015 5:16:07 AM >

Post #: 23
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/18/2015 7:41:51 PM   
Joel Billings

Only World at War allows multi-player where there are players on the same side (Allies vs Axis). The new MP features can be used with any WitW scenario/campaign.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 24
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/19/2015 4:12:45 AM   
Llyranor

That sounds great. Is this co-op mode planned for future releases as well (eg. WITE2)?

Post #: 25
RE: Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario ... - 10/19/2015 10:17:13 AM   
Helpless

quote:

Is this co-op mode planned for future releases as well (eg. WITE2)?

Yes.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to Llyranor)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Operation Torch Multi-Player Features and Scenario Guide! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI