Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why I don't play it

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Why I don't play it Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 9:59:41 PM   
henri51

I admit that it is a good game, but what I don't like about it is that it could be called "Air war on the Western Front". I know that the air war played an important role in WW2, especially on the Western Front, but this game seems to support Bomber Harris' view that the war could be won by air forces alone. Yes, I know that combined arms is the name of the game, but still...

War in the East was clearly designed to be played on the Soviet side, and this game has its biases too. Some players prefer playing the Germans (me too) and some players prefer ground strategy and tactics (me too). That is not necessarily a criticism of the game, but I guess it is just not my cup of tea.
Post #: 1
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 10:02:01 PM   
Helpless

quote:

but this game seems to support Bomber Harris' view that the war could be won by air forces alone.

No.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 2
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 10:02:42 PM   
zakblood

i only play the ground war as the AI is more than good enough to do the air tbh in all my tests

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 3
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 10:10:11 PM   
morganbj

What helpless said.

Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 4
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 10:30:44 PM   
Seminole

quote:

I admit that it is a good game, but what I don't like about it is that it could be called "Air war on the Western Front". I know that the air war played an important role in WW2, especially on the Western Front, but this game seems to support Bomber Harris' view that the war could be won by air forces alone.

I'm not sure how you think that this game can be won by airpower alone.
Have you played it?
How would you propose winning with airpower alone?

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 5
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 10:31:54 PM   
Seminole

quote:

i only play the ground war as the AI is more than good enough to do the air tbh in all my tests

I would expect that AI controlled air against the AI would be fine, but I would expect to be at a disadvantage against a human opponent if he controlled his air power and I was relying on the AI to control mine.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/12/2015 11:46:02 PM   
whoofe

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

I admit that it is a good game, but what I don't like about it is that it could be called "Air war on the Western Front". I know that the air war played an important role in WW2, especially on the Western Front, but this game seems to support Bomber Harris' view that the war could be won by air forces alone. Yes, I know that combined arms is the name of the game, but still...

War in the East was clearly designed to be played on the Soviet side, and this game has its biases too. Some players prefer playing the Germans (me too) and some players prefer ground strategy and tactics (me too). That is not necessarily a criticism of the game, but I guess it is just not my cup of tea.

cool thing now with new patch is; you can team up with someone and have them run the air war while you focus on the ground, if that's the part you prefer

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/13/2015 12:34:25 AM   
Rosseau

I've played one sloppy game of World in Flames ('43-'45) against myself. Deep down, WitW is more complex (imo), as WiF tends to lead you by the nose. But the WitW AI opponent and easy-to-use editor are great learning tools.

I cannot envision playing PBEM, but yes, the team option is nice.

(in reply to whoofe)
Post #: 8
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/13/2015 1:07:26 AM   
jacktimes2

Up until now, all I've managed to do is lose the war with air power alone, but I'm still having a blast and slowly figuring it out.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 9
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/13/2015 1:45:25 AM   
KWG

The air war is young and boisterous, but you still need the grunts.

Attachment (1)

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to jacktimes2)
Post #: 10
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/16/2015 8:39:04 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

but this game seems to support Bomber Harris' view that the war could be won by air forces alone.

No.

I don't believe that WW2 could be won by air power alone, and I haven't played this game enough to determine if it is possible in the game. My point is that I find that the game puts too much emphasis (I.e. micromanagement) on the air war for my taste, but that is just me.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 11
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/16/2015 8:58:34 PM   
Rongor

It also overwhelmed me at first but the air war features never scared me away. In my opinion you could have fun with the game without touching air warfare at all. They implemented enough AI control to enable you to ignore all the air stuff. So it shouldn't really be an issue keeping you away from the game.

Personally I couldn't resist to start getting into it and while still being far from using air warfare efficiently I have decent fun by making my learning steps.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 12
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/16/2015 9:27:52 PM   
carlkay58

The air war alone cannot win the game. In VPs or position - the air war will not do it. The Allies have to invade Italy in order to force its surrender. The Allies also have to invade France in order to put pressure on the Axis and gain enough VPs to win. A very historical set of criteria for the Allies. The Axis win by forcing the Allies to take too long or liberate too little of Western Europe before the Soviets capture Berlin.

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 13
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/17/2015 2:39:15 PM   
barkhorn45

I wish DC1 and 2 had this "problem".

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 14
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/17/2015 5:02:54 PM   
Commanderski

Even if you are not a big fan of the Western Front getting the game is worth it as it will make the transition to WITE 2.0 easier. The WITW system will be in WITE 2.0 so learning how to use the Air power, Supply depot system and everything else is worth it. Since there more than likely be no large scale amphibious assaults in WITE 2.0 you could just play the Axis side and you would get a feel of how things work.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 15
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/17/2015 11:27:27 PM   
Rosseau

Without question, my biggest frustration with games is having to re-learn them all the time. If all I played was WitE/WitW, it would be easy.

But because this nasty Matrix company offers so many good titles, I am lost after a few months not playing even simpler games like Order of Battle, not to mention WitP AE, etc. However, Panzer Corps I will never forget how to play

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 16
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/17/2015 11:41:50 PM   
Tejszd

The best games are deep but have a good UI to make things easy....

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 17
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 8:51:45 AM   
goulash

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Without question, my biggest frustration with games is having to re-learn them all the time. If all I played was WitE/WitW, it would be easy.

But because this nasty Matrix company offers so many good titles, I am lost after a few months not playing even simpler games like Order of Battle, not to mention WitP AE, etc. However, Panzer Corps I will never forget how to play

Yup, all these game manuals I need to get my head round WIF, WITP AE, WITW, not yet tried WITE but have a lot to learn before jumping into that one. Command Air Naval etc is another big one to learn but I am waiting for a duo monitor set up before playing that and WIF properly.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 18
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 2:47:31 PM   
Numdydar

Yes I can attest that it should almost be a hardware requirement for World in Flames to have two (or more) monitors . What a difference they make.

If we went back to the days where war games were only published once or twice a year, we would not have this problem Of course we would then complain (and we did. You know who you are ) about how so few were available. But we did know how to play those games

(in reply to goulash)
Post #: 19
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 3:01:17 PM   
Rongor

I still didn't find the time to learn how to play WITP seriously. Since there are games like WITE and now WITW (and some other stuff) to study, I am afraid WITP will feel too old and ancient when I finally can direct attention towards it (in some years...)

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 20
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 3:09:27 PM   
Numdydar

I play WitP a LOT. I can tell you it really puts all these other games to shame. It really is a masterpiece. And still being supported too It just got another major patch last month.

So you are really missing out by not giving it a shot as soon as you can. I actually find it hard to play WitE/WitW after playing WitP . The scale and detail just seems too small after WitP

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 21
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 3:20:37 PM   
Rongor

that is exactly what is keeping me off WITP. WITE and WITW are already huge but seem to be conquerable. With WITP, I would try to tame a monster. Myriad of ships, Billions of pilots. Not a distant clue how to manage production. A somewhat clunky interface. A nightmare.
I have a secret hope they may do a new WITP after War in Europe is done.

< Message edited by Rongor -- 10/18/2015 4:20:56 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 22
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 4:24:12 PM   
Numdydar

Not likely for a WitP 2 If you play the Allies there is no production. So not a problem there. Plus just like all games there are lots of smaller scenarios that only handle certain aspects of the war.

I actually think the UI in WitP is much better than WitE/W But that is just me.

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 23
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 5:22:54 PM   
ultradave

Don't have WITP but I did have the Uncommon Valor which I guess has elements of a subset of WITP from what I've read (I may be off base about that).

Unfortunately, while I enjoyed Uncommon Valor, with a couple of new computers since then I no longer have the installer and it's not available to download. Too bad, because I would still play it today.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 24
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 6:02:14 PM   
zakblood

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/216/downloads/

still here so as you bought it, just ask for a link to re download, same as patches etc, all still here and still for sale

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/18/2015 7:02:33 PM >

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 25
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/18/2015 7:14:10 PM   
Rongor

It at least very much looks like WITP. Man I really want to play these games.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 26
RE: Why I don't play it - 10/19/2015 10:35:31 AM   
soeren01

WitP is superb, but the learning curve is much steeper than the for WitW

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Why I don't play it Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI