Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Who Is Still Here?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Who Is Still Here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 12/18/2014 7:21:32 PM   
ian77

quote:

ORIGINAL: hbrsvl

tocaff- Well, here's one more that's still plugging away at WITP. I like to go back to WITP when I screw-up in AE.

Love them both Hugh Browne

Me too!

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 31
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/7/2015 12:01:01 PM   
turkey

Not sure if the "still here" applies to me as I am a late comer to raising my head above the parapet and actually contributing to the forum. However have been reading it for many years and in that sense I am indeed “still here”.

Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
George S. Patton

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 32
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/8/2015 2:45:58 PM   
tocaff

Funny, but I'm 2 months into a new GC against my trusted, old opponent dating back to UV days. Oh yeah, I've got an AE going and another AE in the pipeline.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to turkey)
Post #: 33
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/8/2015 7:04:26 PM   
Mobeer

Not sure where your signature link is supposed to go tocaff, but it currently goes to an error page.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 34
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/9/2015 11:32:34 PM   
tocaff

The link was to the AAR and it was good, but I guess after a certain amount of time...

Duh! I needed an s to make forum plural. All of this time and nobody ever pointed out that the link didn't work. Thanks.

< Message edited by tocaff -- 1/10/2015 12:35:31 AM >

Todd

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 35
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/13/2015 10:55:25 AM   
kev_uk

I loved Uncommon Valor more than I did WitP. I think it had the right scale whilst still keeping the micromanagement that WitP had - but on a much more manageable scale and didnt take up hours to plan and plot your moves. I skipped AE - a pure monster game that frankly seemed too overbearing and deliberately complex to make it fun.

I recently re-installed WitP though and started using Andrew Browns map and CHS - love the map graphics and will see how it goes from this. I am also looking at AE (missed the sale as I bought WitE instead) as it it still being supported - want some depth, but the TIME it takes folks...not a game to go into lightly, even after it being 10 years since its release.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 36
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/13/2015 11:23:36 AM   
wdolson

AE is still being supported to. One of the programmers has stayed on since initial release. I think AE does a lot to reduce micromanagement in a lot of areas. During the beta test of AE, some of us were playing the two side by side and I found WitP very annoying because it took so much longer to do some things that you could set and forget about in AE.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to kev_uk)
Post #: 37
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/13/2015 2:23:22 PM   
kev_uk

I was watching Slippery Petes youtube vids the other night of AE, which made me want to play WitP again..which I did. Yea, AE looks highly interesting to what was expanded in the vanilla game (drop tanks, loadouts etc I have read about).

Its a lot of money now the sale has gone past...nearly £60. That would take some considering spending that much money on a game...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 38
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 1/22/2015 2:43:44 PM   
wga8888

I am here with two games still in progress; Allies in both; both full campaigns
-Fast game vs Neville (Australia); 1-3 turns a day. About 13 months in, game now in Jan 15, 1944. I survived to this point which is an accomplishment. Logistical nightmare to keep progression of invasions in multiple front to win by historical date. We will both player better in the next game.
=Slow game vs Max (France); 1 turn every 4-10 days. About 18 months in, game now in June 15, 1942. Full court press in India with major portion of IJN CV and battle fleet. He who dies first loses.

Other game boardgame title, and real life taxing discretionary time.

Some things in AE are appealing but many things are unnecessary detail. I would rather hire a competent staff and officer corps and just run the war rather than micromanage everything.

Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 39
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 2/1/2015 3:22:25 PM   
Balou

WitP is my favorite game when it comes to playing a "quick one". Much more fun than the AE Monster from the point of view of micromanagement.

(in reply to wga8888)
Post #: 40
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 2/7/2015 5:56:44 PM   
Gilmer

I was actually going to come over and ask if anyone played this because it wasn't so much of a monster? I'm sitting here looking at the CD case and wondering if I should install it.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 41
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 2/7/2015 7:52:57 PM   
tocaff

Do it. Play a bit vs AI and then try somebody for a real game.

Todd

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 42
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 2/20/2015 3:30:48 PM   
mikemike

I'm still playing WITP, although it has been a while since I last visited this forum. I stopped playing after I was unable to start the game for more than a year. Then I switched over to Windows 7 64-bit and what do you know, after I re-installed the game, everything works just fine, including the display on my 1920X1080 screen. I play a heavily modded version (actually, work in progress) against the Allied A.I. In my current game, I'm at the end of March, 1942, and I've fixed a dozen bugs in the modded database since start of game. Right now, I wonder how long I'll play on before the urge to start anew with the updated database gets too strong.

The newest mod I did is some new startgame pictures (Japanese subjects) of which one came out OK, but the other is hideous to look at although the photos I used are individually quite nice. I was just tired of seeing the same pic whenever I started up.

Not doing much with AE. I tried a few of the short scenarios, but daren't tackle the the full war because of the increased complexity. The added features put in by michaelm are nifty, however, especially the ability to tailor plane loadouts to mission. I'm trying to model the Ju-88 A-4 loads at the moment, which is a bear of a job.

DON´T PANIC - IT´S ALL JUST ONES AND ZEROES!

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 43
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 2/27/2015 12:43:53 AM   
OldSarge

I'm still around! I actually first joined the forum in 2004 under a different username but I lost all of my information in a computer crash and had to get a new login. I haven't had the time to start a new WITP GC in quite a while, so I've mainly stuck to the smaller scenarios.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 44
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 5/9/2015 12:00:35 AM   
mogami

Hi, I am retired from army. Now I have to find my copy of WITP

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to hbrsvl)
Post #: 45
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 5/9/2015 1:09:01 AM   
wdolson

Wow, the famed Mogami resurfaces! Are you thinking of going to the dark side (AE)?

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 46
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 5/9/2015 1:11:47 AM   
mogami

Hi, I'll go where the players are. I think I still have a copy of WITP but I'll need to patch it up to current.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 47
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 6/2/2015 4:40:50 AM   
dtodd3

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I was wondering who other than myself and Capt. Harlock is still around this forum? Who is still playing WITP? It seems dead here other than my AAR.

I am back playing this game, now that I am retired. I have played all the versions since the DOS versions. Not sure I will try AE or not.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 48
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 6/2/2015 11:49:14 PM   
tdpyle

I am at August, 1944 against AI playing CHS. IMO this version is superior to the stock version or the improved map Brown version.

(in reply to dtodd3)
Post #: 49
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 8/23/2015 9:08:51 AM   
Khanti

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikemike

(...)

Not doing much with AE. I tried a few of the short scenarios, but daren't tackle the the full war because of the increased complexity. The added features put in by michaelm are nifty, however, especially the ability to tailor plane loadouts to mission. I'm trying to model the Ju-88 A-4 loads at the moment, which is a bear of a job.

WitP would be ideal non-complex game with 2 additions from AE: tailored plane loadouts and pilot's management system.
Even without AE system of pilot skill sets, replacement pools, and training commands, the only function that is missing about pilots is ability to manage one’s pool of pilots in squadrons.

(in reply to mikemike)
Post #: 50
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 8/31/2015 3:07:45 AM   
Sarge

still around

(in reply to Khanti)
Post #: 51
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 10/22/2015 11:04:39 AM   
rominet

Still there too.
Current game as Japan, always as much fun as before.
AE is too complicated for me. WitP has the right balance between strategy, tactic and micro-managment.

Still looking for an other WitP game.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 52
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 10/25/2015 5:58:31 PM   
th_sfr

Still there too, always with a nice game with always a nice partner.

p.s Hello Rominet from Lord_Morgul as knowed in the underground of campaign-france

(in reply to rominet)
Post #: 53
RE: Who Is Still Here? - 11/2/2015 10:39:54 AM   
ndworl

Rominet, if you're still looking for a game, drop me a PM and we can talk about it.

(in reply to th_sfr)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Who Is Still Here? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI