Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

War in The West: The most Beautiful

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> War in The West: The most Beautiful Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 6:58:04 PM   
VI66_slith

War In The West: I'm starting a petition drive to get Gary Grisby's War In The West listed as the 8th wonder of the world.

The map is a work of art. I'm hard pressed to think of a map so beautifully done. All of the maps elements are crisp, clear and laid out thoughtfully.
The rulebook itself is an work of art. When not in use, the book has earned a place of distinction amongst my stacks. Top shelf, book case number one. My ASL rulebook is nice. The WiTW book is on another level. The best in my opinion. Beautiful.

The game: although deep, the game is not impossible to learn. Heed the advice given within the posts of this forum. Watch the video tutorials. Read and keep handy the Players Handbook. Read through the manual and may it never stray far from your desktop. The AAR's posted in this forum are an invaluble tool as well.

I've played WiTP for something like 11 years now. If I'm around, I'll easily match the 11 years with WiTW.

My heartfelt thanks to all involved with bringing this masterpiece to life. Designers, programmers, artists, playtesters and the many within these forums who have given their valuable time to help educate many of us.

So for those of you on the fence, purchase the game and dive in without fear. Practically everyone here will lend a hand and help you along the way to WiTW enlightenment.

My name is VI66 and I approve this message.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by VI66 -- 10/22/2015 8:03:30 PM >

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
Post #: 1
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:11:50 PM   
smudge56

I am one who is very eager to get this game. I also love your collection. Love the leather bound books. If you're interested in military history like myself have a look at the 'Then and Now Series'. Each year on my birthday I treat myself. For my 40th this year my wife bought my the Blitz Collection of three books. I've nearly completed Blitzkrieg in the West.

Anyhow I'm hoping to get this game soon

< Message edited by Blighty56 -- 10/22/2015 10:12:11 PM >

AKA - Smudge

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:18:44 PM   
VI66_slith

Thank you I will take a look. The first book I ever read was "Midway". Man, I was young lol. You can learn plenty from a game at this level concerning military history. If and when you get the game, don't be afraid to take a bite of the apple. You may be surprised on how quickly you can start playing and enjoying this game.

"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 3
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:29:05 PM   
smudge56

Probably my first book I actually got myself when I was 12ish was'Janes fighting ships of ww2'. I wish I also got 'Janes Fighting Aircraft of ww2' been looking out for it ever since. I'm really looking forward to getting it. I'm sure i'll be asking for advice.

AKA - Smudge

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 4
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:32:06 PM   
VI66_slith

Yes I love Janes books as well. I'd like to get my hands on copies of both as well. Now you have me thinking hahaha

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 5
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:42:56 PM   
smudge56

Yeah my Mate and I used it as reference for our own wargames great times.

AKA - Smudge

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 6
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:44:01 PM   
smudge56

Oh by the way what Videos would you suggest looking at for WitW?

AKA - Smudge

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 7
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:57:06 PM   
VI66_slith

There is a link in the top portion of the WiTW forums. Scroll up and you'll see it. The vids and player's guide was enough to get me started. I'll be learning this game for some time to come. I'm a little bit older and a little bit slower I found the series you mentioned. Found the set in a slip case. They are on the wish list now thanks.

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 8
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 9:58:56 PM   
VI66_slith

Listed under War In The West Tutorial Videos. There are some other good links in the thread to more vids.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 9
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 10:30:31 PM   
smudge56

quote:

ORIGINAL: VI66

There is a link in the top portion of the WiTW forums. Scroll up and you'll see it. The vids and player's guide was enough to get me started. I'll be learning this game for some time to come. I'm a little bit older and a little bit slower I found the series you mentioned. Found the set in a slip case. They are on the wish list now thanks.

LOL Yeah i remember going into 'Waterstones' Bookshop in the UK (not sure if it's international) and reading 'Panzers in Normandy' I was too young to afford it but then thought 'd never be able to get it later in life. But was amazed when a friend showed me there booklet showing that they were still being printed. Been gradually collecting the series ever since.

If yoo haven't read it yet do read Churchills book on the second world war. I read the abridged version it was fascinating so i'm now collecting the full collection that runs to 6 books. He was a great speaker and writer.

Thanks for the info on the videos.

< Message edited by Blighty56 -- 10/22/2015 11:32:54 PM >

AKA - Smudge

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 10
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 10:50:30 PM   
rwenstrup

Love the game...and loved the picture of your bookshelf VI66. I laughed when seeing it because it looks almost identical to mine...I've got all the books you have there...and I have a bottle of Gentlemen Jack on the shelf...funny...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 11
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 11:02:49 PM   
VI66_slith

Very nice. Coincidence? I think not! lol Great minds and all that....

(in reply to rwenstrup)
Post #: 12
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/22/2015 11:11:12 PM   
Helpless

Thanks for the kind words, guys! :)

Would like to join your "books and the bottle" flash mob, but I'm not allowed to keep bottles on the book shelf.

< Message edited by Helpless -- 10/23/2015 12:11:23 AM >

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 2:36:05 AM   
VI66_slith

Getting my hands on that bottle was a hollow victory. I'm not allowed to drink the Duke bourbon The bottles just fer lookin' through

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 14
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 7:55:32 AM   
Rongor

Books look so much better in the US than here. European design looks dull.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 2:38:33 PM   
KWG

Nice Lee's Luies

I use to do book binding, and like the kids of the man who makes shoes, my books run around with no shoes.

< Message edited by KWG -- 10/23/2015 3:45:52 PM >

"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."

(in reply to Rongor)
Post #: 16
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 2:54:59 PM   
VI66_slith

Took me about a month per each volume of Lee's, except the last one. Same with Shelby Foote's Narrative. Millions of words without shoes.

(in reply to KWG)
Post #: 17
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 5:23:39 PM   
Delaware

LOVE that leather bound edition of Robertson's Stonewall Jackson. Nice find. My favorite military bio.

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 18
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/23/2015 9:14:51 PM   
davidepessach

I'm learning the game right now, slowly crowling my way through operation husky...and I love going back and forth from game to manual to videos...it's just so cool to learn the intricacies.

(in reply to Delaware)
Post #: 19
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 2:10:31 PM   
davidepessach

By the way...Operation Husky, after the very first air turn I check the losses and there are always 25,000 allied men disabled.
What is this?!?!
[image]losses.jpg[/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to davidepessach)
Post #: 20
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 2:11:43 PM   
zakblood

men in the reinforcement pool etc

Post #: 21
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 2:13:11 PM   
RedLancer

We always put people in the disabled pool in scenario creation to prime the system where a proportion of the disabled pool recovers.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Post #: 22
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 4:20:58 PM   
VI66_slith

There are many layers to this onion. I can't stop touching the rulebook.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 23
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 5:05:39 PM   
davidepessach

Reading the manual on an ipad is definitely uncomfortable...I remember there was a way of paying a small price to get upgraded to the phisical one... any hint?

(in reply to VI66_slith)
Post #: 24
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 5:51:38 PM   
VI66_slith

Not sure. I thought I had read somewhere that there are some physical stand alone copies for sale. Best ask one of the moderators.

Post #: 25
RE: War in The West: The most Beautiful - 10/24/2015 7:05:33 PM   
Joel Billings

You can't updgrade to the physical yet, but should be able to soon as Matrix is testing this now with several other games and WitW will be in the next batch of games where this will be possible.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> War in The West: The most Beautiful Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI