Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 10/25/2015 5:42:39 PM   
Wasicun

Hi all guys!
I am really obsessed in destroying S-400 anti aircraft system in my missions (using E/A 18, EC 130 and other aircraft).
But here is my question: i usually sacrifice some aircraft to destroy an S-400 system, so, i want to know if my losses are acceptable or not: do you know how many an S-400 Battallion cost?

Thank you very much and sorry for my poor English.
Post #: 1
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 10/26/2015 4:34:18 PM   
Terminus

One S-400 system (TEL with 4 missiles, all accessories) costs about $40 million. A battalion set is estimated to cost roughly $320-350 million, but the Russians are not forthcoming with exact prices.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 10/26/2015 5:37:11 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Wasicun)
Post #: 2
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 10/27/2015 7:35:12 PM   
Tailhook

What tactics are you using against it? With EW support they are definitely defeatable without casualty.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 10/27/2015 8:37:39 PM   
wild_Willie2

I concur, with jamming support these systems are beatable without taking losses.

Without jammers it gets more tricky, but with a combination of low level flying and HARM's it's still doable.

W.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Tailhook)
Post #: 4
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/23/2015 1:40:59 PM   
Gunner98

Trying to put a cost value on an AD system is problematic, the real question is what is it protecting? What is the value, monetarily perhaps, but more likely tactically or operationally, of the protected site is the question that matters.

If the S-400 is protecting a site that is either vital to the enemy's ability to defeat you, or critical to your national interest or operational plan: Than losses are justified. If not - why bother?

B

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 5
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/25/2015 6:25:05 PM   
Wasicun

Thank you for your answer!

at the moment this is how i do the job(i try):
4 ea/18 jamming like the hell and a lot of agm 88 missiles ( like 40-50) from a couple of super hornet squadrons.

Any other suggestion?

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 6
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/26/2015 6:39:32 AM   
wild_Willie2

HARM like missiles are good for taking out single radars, but they can only damage a single radar per hit. For destroying multiradar SAM sites like the S400 I usually use a few AGM-154A JSOW's with cluster warheads as even one hit can destroy the entire site, so even if you fire 10 of these and even only one gets through, it's most likely lights out for the SAM system.

So coordinate your attacks with in-line jammer support at 30 to 40 miles, ten or so HARM missiles, and five to ten AGM-154A's and the S400 is history.

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Wasicun)
Post #: 7
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/26/2015 8:04:27 AM   
Dysta

If only there's mobilization ability for portable missile systems. To redeploy their system elsewhere, or get to the shelter from area denial weapons.

You might say these unit won't hide from above, but it's hardly just stand there and offer their necks. Besides, if you're talking about Russia, then Panstirs and Tunguska will make sure it's safety and/or take their strikes first.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 8
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/26/2015 10:08:28 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dysta

If only there's mobilization ability for portable missile systems. To redeploy their system elsewhere, or get to the shelter from area denial weapons.

Mobility is not a silver bullet. I am not sure about the S-400 but, to take down, move and set up a SAM Bty would probably take hours, maybe days - or often outside the scope of a scenario. Many need engineering support as well so an enemy may be able to deduce where it will deploy next

You can simulate this with events and Lua. Set a trigger, delete the unit (or teleport it) a few hours later add it back in a different spot. What you don't get is the defenceless vehicle convoy between positions but I guess you could use the same technique to replace the unit with trucks, add the unit to a mission to move to the new area then remove the trucks when the Bty sets up.

quote:

You might say these unit won't hide from above, but it's hardly just stand there and offer their necks. Besides, if you're talking about Russia, then Panstirs and Tunguska will make sure it's safety and/or take their strikes first.

Very true, a layered IADs will make the job much more difficult, using Lua to cycle the radars on & off etc. It should be like peeling an onion.

B

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 9
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/26/2015 7:23:26 PM   
Wasicun

Thank you for your answers !

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 10
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/27/2015 4:37:01 AM   
Agiel

I would also advise the use of MALD-Js (if operating with USAF assets) or ITALDs (if Navy). For extra lulz, intermingle your JASSMs and JSOWs with them.

You can also try repeatedly flying above and below the horizon at its maximum kinematic range and reversing course each time, which can cause the site to waste its missile shots. Reportedly this was how the Saratoga's wing dealt with that pesky Libyan SA-5 in the run-up to Eldorado Canyon.

< Message edited by Agiel -- 11/27/2015 5:39:16 AM >

(in reply to Wasicun)
Post #: 11
RE: anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? - 11/27/2015 6:27:51 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agiel

You can also try repeatedly flying above and below the horizon at its maximum kinematic range and reversing course each time, which can cause the site to waste its missile shots. Reportedly this was how the Saratoga's wing dealt with that pesky Libyan SA-5 in the run-up to Eldorado Canyon.

If you do it so more than once, then you are making them waste not just missiles, but also a squadron of Su-27/35s when they are pissed off. The only question is how big your task forces can withstand their aggressive response.

(in reply to Agiel)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> The War Room >> anyone knows how many costs an S-400 Battallion? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI