Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need help!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need help! - 10/25/2015 12:48:28 AM   
rhondabrwn

As many of you know, I live "off grid" ouT in the desert with a solar array for power.

My inverter is only providing 75 to 93 volts to the house :( We've had a lot of cloudy and rainy weather over the past week and the batteries have run very low. We finally got some sun and the voltage got up to 93 volts this afternoon but is now falling again. My backup generators are all screwed up so no alternative way to charge the batteries.

Not sure if it an inverter failure or not... replacement is like $3,000 minimum. Hoping for a spontaneous recovery. Anyone have any expertise to share?

Also, do I dare run a computer under low voltage? My refrigerator and freezer are running thought I worry that I am destroying them, but no choice.

Another of life's trials :( Using my phone for internet.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Post #: 1
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 1:18:12 AM   
Cheeks

Two questions:

Do you have an "owners manual" for the inverter-charging system.
Do you have a handheld volt-ohm meter and if so do you know how to use it.

Turn the other cheek

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 2
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 1:19:19 AM   
Yogi the Great

Not an expert at all. Do have belief that Solar Power has not yet reached a point of economical and reliable power in many cases.

I know of farmers who have had some luck with a private windmill providing power.

No answer on the damage that could be caused running the items on low power.

Assuming that you do not have access to power lines because of your location perhaps I can only wish you good luck and sunny days. Would be nice to find a better source of power though if you can than the "solar array".

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 3
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 3:13:08 AM   
Zap

Hey, Rondabrowncan't help with your question but wanted to ask how much sunlight do you get a year. I know here in Las vegas there is a move by many to have solar installed on their roofs. Though we may have many more sunny days here in Vegas then you do.

< Message edited by Zap -- 10/25/2015 4:14:07 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 4
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 4:20:03 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Hey, Rondabrowncan't help with your question but wanted to ask how much sunlight do you get a year. I know here in Las vegas there is a move by many to have solar installed on their roofs. Though we may have many more sunny days here in Vegas then you do.

This has been an exceptional year due to El Nino. I feel like I've had 10 times the normal clouds and rain. The Spring was wet and June set a new record for rainfall. The annual monsoon season started early and hasn't stopped! The days will start out Sunny but within hours clouds roll in with rain cells everywhere. Winter is supposed to be extremely wet and snowy. Arizona high desert isn't supposed to be like this! Other years there would be months between rain storms. Should be glad for the moisture if I wasn't dependent on solar. My ranch should really green up next spring which is good for my livestock.

If I wasn't suffering from all the system problems it wouldn't matter. I would just fire up my 30 year old 10KW generator and top off the batteries, but though we got it running the inverter won't accept a charge from it. I can run the well pump from it so it's generating electricity but there some kind of problem in the inverter (also 30 years old). Hard to find people with the knowledge to fix things and being able to find replacement parts.

Not knocking solar, if only I could install a state of the art system, but I have a patchwork system of old and new components. The Inverter will be $2500 to $5,000 to replace and a suitable generator will be $4,000 to $6,000. The well pump takes a lot of power. I bought an 8,000 watt portable and it couldn't handle it. It could charget the batteries but it broke and needs a new motor :( Could repair for $400 but since it can't run the well pump I need to fix the old 10KW which can handle everything (and runs on propane). It can be tough in winter to go get gasoline in 5 gallon containers... the propane gets delivered.

I have a wind turbine but it doesn't generate much (maybe 250 watts under perfect conditions) a wind turbine that is effective costs $6,000 installed and generates 1,000 watts over a wider range of wind speeds. Solar is far more cost effective.

It's been a challenge and I just don't have the finances left to keep up with everything that is breaking down. I'm not physically up to it lately as well.

I could, quite honestly, die this winter. They have all been rough, but I'm in bad shape for what may be coming this winter :(

I'm not about to quit though!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 4:32:47 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Not an expert at all. Do have belief that Solar Power has not yet reached a point of economical and reliable power in many cases.

I know of farmers who have had some luck with a private windmill providing power.

Assuming that you do not have access to power lines because of your location perhaps I can only wish you good luck and sunny days. Would be nice to find a better source of power though if you can than the "solar array".

It works fine if you don't buy an isolated ranch with ancient equipment. My neighbor in his big new house with two huge trackers with 12 solar panels each plus a big diesel backup generator is comfy as can be... has central air conditioning!

If I was young and financially secure there is no way that I would not go with solar if I was building a home. It is nice to have an available grid tie for emergencies and to sell power back to the utilities though. Best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to the new Tesla battery... battery power storage is the admitted weak link in any wind or solar system... even for huge utilities like in Germany. When someone solves that issue... goodbye fossil fuels!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 6
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 4:43:15 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheeks

Two questions:

Do you have an "owners manual" for the inverter-charging system.
Do you have a handheld volt-ohm meter and if so do you know how to use it.

Yep, I have a manual but I'm not competent to open it up and start messing around. I'm good with the software and the 19 control menus (10 options each) but no control for voltage output. I already reset the factory defaults with no effect.

The nearest solar dealer wants $150 just to come out and look at it... with no promises of being able to fix it... I don't trust them... they seem only interested in selling new turnkey systems.

My old trusted dealer went out of business... they really helped me... nice family... probably why they went bust.. too nice and too fair... miss them a lot!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Cheeks)
Post #: 7
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 5:55:39 AM   
AbwehrX

Would you consider a refurbed natural gas or diesel generator?

NATURAL GAS GENERATOR

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 8
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 6:12:57 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

Would you consider a refurbed natural gas or diesel generator?

NATURAL GAS GENERATOR

It may come to that.

Thanks for the link :(

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 9
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 7:06:07 AM   
Orm

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I do hope you find a solution soon. Unfortunately, that solution might have to be getting that expensive repair guy you do not trust, getting a even more expensive repair guy from even further away, or getting a new system.

I wouldn't run any systems under low voltage any more than I have to. At least not until I have read up on the possible consequences.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 10
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 7:54:09 AM   
Rising-Sun

There are other energy sources, do you have water flows in your area and/or it is windy? Cant always rely on solar panels there will be dark days at some points.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 11
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 7:55:40 AM   
zakblood

have you got any Flow Batteries or fuel cells in use?

Ground source heat pumps (GSHPs) have you thought of this as for night use, saves your stored elec use? for night only use.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 10/25/2015 8:58:40 AM >

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 12
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 1:27:53 PM   
operating

Could be a matter of finances..

googled GSHP came up with this: http://www.geothermalusa.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-7GxBRCL_Kq6mZSHvdsBEiQA7r8VhHqi_CNHHzegb0qg2XERWYuMOLAkbOnFb15zdcM4V2QaAuAL8P8HAQ

There is one chapter that goes into tax credits for energy systems.

rhondabrwn

Might there be an energy company in your area that would do an installation and offer financing to fit your budget, plus make it all count towards a tax credit? Up my way there are solar companies that advertise they will do a solar panels and installation for free complete with all hookups to the grid. Members of my family and neighbors have taken advantage of this promotion and rave how much they save in energy costs. Where you are off grid, is another question..
Good luck...

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 2:07:42 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

It works fine if you don't buy an isolated ranch with ancient equipment. My neighbor in his big new house with two huge trackers with 12 solar panels each plus a big diesel backup generator is comfy as can be... has central air conditioning!

If I was young and financially secure there is no way that I would not go with solar if I was building a home. It is nice to have an available grid tie for emergencies and to sell power back to the utilities though. Best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to the new Tesla battery... battery power storage is the admitted weak link in any wind or solar system... even for huge utilities like in Germany. When someone solves that issue... goodbye fossil fuels!

Like others have said your least expensive option may be your only option. Fix your generator or if not possible get a refurbished one. I'm just glad you did not have to put out the initial money for your system that it is very costly. This is the problem with alternate energy sources the cost to purchase and upkeep is prohibitive. The best way to reap benefits from a solar system is to purchase outright(not lease). I calculated 25,000 dollars for solar system installed(is the price I have heard). Backup generator 5,000. Back up wind mill 6,000. That Is a lot of money to invest. To re-coup that you would need close to 20 years. Example I pay 1,600 a year for electricity from the electric company. In In 20 years I have paid 36,000 dollars. Then I don't have to worry about maintenance and expensive replacement parts 20 years down the road. In my book Electricity produced from a company is still the most cost effective and headache free. But I am looking forward to initial cost reduction for these systems that will make them cost effective and less of a maintenance burden.

< Message edited by Zap -- 10/25/2015 3:11:24 PM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 14
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 8:57:05 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: operating

Could be a matter of finances..

googled GSHP came up with this: http://www.geothermalusa.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-7GxBRCL_Kq6mZSHvdsBEiQA7r8VhHqi_CNHHzegb0qg2XERWYuMOLAkbOnFb15zdcM4V2QaAuAL8P8HAQ

There is one chapter that goes into tax credits for energy systems.

rhondabrwn

Might there be an energy company in your area that would do an installation and offer financing to fit your budget, plus make it all count towards a tax credit? Up my way there are solar companies that advertise they will do a solar panels and installation for free complete with all hookups to the grid. Members of my family and neighbors have taken advantage of this promotion and rave how much they save in energy costs. Where you are off grid, is another question..
Good luck...

I took advantage of Arizona and Federal tax credits, but since I am now living on tax exempt pensions and Social Security I no longer pay any income tax so tax credits no longer apply to me. :(

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 15
RE: Need help! - 10/25/2015 9:01:29 PM   
rhondabrwn

I have $113 to my name at the moment so nothing I can do till next month anyway. I live month to month with no financial reserves at all.

Yea, I've been reckless and living on the edge for decades. However, I made my bed and I'll die in it. :)

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 16
RE: Need help! - 10/26/2015 6:02:08 PM   
rickier65

Rhonda,

I hope you're able to resolve your problem soon. You do need to get your batteries back up to full power.

Low voltages can cause overheating. So even if your refrigerator and freezer are running, if they have to work too hard you could cause some damage to the motor.

This also applies to a computer. Low voltage will cause circuits to run at higher temperature (ie, if voltage goes down, then amperage goes up to provide the same level of power ).

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on fixing or even diagnosing though.

Good luck
Rick

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 17
RE: Need help! - 10/26/2015 6:44:52 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

As many of you know, I live "off grid" ouT in the desert with a solar array for power.

My inverter is only providing 75 to 93 volts to the house :( We've had a lot of cloudy and rainy weather over the past week and the batteries have run very low. We finally got some sun and the voltage got up to 93 volts this afternoon but is now falling again. My backup generators are all screwed up so no alternative way to charge the batteries.

Not sure if it an inverter failure or not... replacement is like $3,000 minimum. Hoping for a spontaneous recovery. Anyone have any expertise to share?

Also, do I dare run a computer under low voltage? My refrigerator and freezer are running thought I worry that I am destroying them, but no choice.

Another of life's trials :( Using my phone for internet.

Well, it sounds like you know the problem, (low voltage due to not having enough energy from the sun) so what is left to do ?

I suppose you could check the voltage going into your inverter and out of your panels. That might help isolate any problems.

Doing that is probably not safe for a novice or non electrician.

Get the backups running, probably the most direct way to charge the batteries back up.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 18
RE: Need help! - 10/26/2015 7:34:34 PM   
rommel222

Greetings to All,
If your inverters are more than 15 years old they will experience reduced ability to supply voltage as well as charging batteries. The extended cloudy rainy weather are seriously affecting the inverters efficiency. Are you using three phase or singe phase voltage? In addition, running any electrical appliance at lower voltage is dangerous due to overheating of motor components (usually capacitors) and potential fire hazard.
I would go with the repairman or see if there is a nearby college/university with a physics department that might look at for you.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 19
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 1:47:25 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

Rhonda,

I hope you're able to resolve your problem soon. You do need to get your batteries back up to full power.

Low voltages can cause overheating. So even if your refrigerator and freezer are running, if they have to work too hard you could cause some damage to the motor.

This also applies to a computer. Low voltage will cause circuits to run at higher temperature (ie, if voltage goes down, then amperage goes up to provide the same level of power ).

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on fixing or even diagnosing though.

Good luck
Rick

I did discover that modern refrigerators do have a sensor to shut down if the compressor overheats due to low voltage. That us comforting to know and consistent with what is happening when the voltage drops back down below 80 volts.

Also learned that I should be able to run the computer at 90 volts. Power supply standard is to handle from 90 to 130 volts safely. Haven't tried it yet... not sure the monitor can handle it.

My best bet is to get the generator working.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 20
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 2:10:47 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like others have said your least expensive option may be your only option. Fix your generator or if not possible get a refurbished one. I'm just glad you did not have to put out the initial money for your system that it is very costly. This is the problem with alternate energy sources the cost to purchase and upkeep is prohibitive. The best way to reap benefits from a solar system is to purchase outright(not lease). I calculated 25,000 dollars for solar system installed(is the price I have heard). Backup generator 5,000. Back up wind mill 6,000. That Is a lot of money to invest. To re-coup that you would need close to 20 years. Example I pay 1,600 a year for electricity from the electric company. In In 20 years I have paid 36,000 dollars. Then I don't have to worry about maintenance and expensive replacement parts 20 years down the road. In my book Electricity produced from a company is still the most cost effective and headache free. But I am looking forward to initial cost reduction for these systems that will make them cost effective and less of a maintenance burden.

I think your quote is high and includes more than you need. With a grid-tie system all you need is an inverter and solar panels. No batteries, no charge controllers, no backup generator. Rooftop panels don't require expensive "tracker mounts" if your roof faces the right direction without shading trees.

Now if you are really off-grid your only alternative is generator running 24/7 which is fantastically expensive. I am about 4 miles from the nearest power line and they want $10,000 per mile to hook me up. Solar is the best option by a mile.

And don't forget the 30% Federal tax rebate on your system, plus whatever Nevada state energy credits might be available. I got 60% back on all my upgrades that I made. Wish I could still do that but you have to be paying taxes to get a rebate and I don't owe any taxes these days.

You ought to get a new quote for a basic system. You can always add stuff like batteries and generators later... as well as more solar panels as the price continues to drop.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 21
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 4:30:18 AM   
Zap

I don't have any personal experience with it but was relaying what neighborhood people are relaying.
One lady said:

The quote we got for a 4KW system to buy, not lease was $34,500 less a 30% Tax Credit of 10,500 (only good if you have a tax liability, and has to be amortized out over (I think it was) 3 years.) leaving a balance of $24,500. The hitch in this was they require all of your major appliances to be up to date. Refrig, A/C, Pool Pump etc - if they are not they would be happy to sell you all new ones for a price. I'd forgotten about that part :) If I were building a new house from the ground up, I'd have solar right from the get go. - Oh, I wanted to add.... Nevada was / is still contemplating doing what Florida did. That is once the solar system is installed adding the 35K as a home upgrade and up the house and land value on our property tax. Just like if you add a pool or jacuzzi or any other home upgrade.

Another person said:
Chad echoes our exact thoughts on the few solar companies we have had over. Some are for lease, usually for 30 years, and if you sell your house it must be paid in full. Some of them you buy outright, that are supposed to be "better* than the panels in the for lease units. It all got into some real fuzzy math. The neighbor behind me had the lease units installed a year ago - but NVEnergy never got out to make the conversions they needed to make them operable for 11 months. Said neighbor now wishes he had not done it at his age. Solar is great - retrofitting with an uncooperative Power company is near impossible - and navigating through the large number of companies installing them to find a reputable one is a chore. Make sure if you do go foreword you make them put a completion date on the formal paperwork.

Summerlin put in the one across the street from us, but I'm not sure it's operative yet. It was operating until we had that big storm a few months back, and something blew up... I don't know the details as they are not talkative.

Ener-Tech is one that you buy and it sounded great - we went through 2 presentations, and the price kept going up and up and up. Then we told him we wanted to read through and think on everything and the Rep got extremely rude in one of those polite ways. Never the less a big package arrived in the mail a week later wanting us to sign all sorts of loan papers. Took us a bit to get them away from us and to stop calling.

And here's another:
We contacted SolarCity for a bid. They are now blocked on my cell phone as the calls never ended. After some research, two things I can share, be sure you are staying where you are for many years if you lease (which I am not) and don't lease. 😀
The rebate program may be coming to an end soon from what I understand and it seems that the technology still needs to come down in price. It's about a $25K investment.

There are diverse opinions out there and prices. I wish it was a cut and dry thing like you said. But at least here in Neveda there seems to be a lot of information to wade through to get to the facts.

And finally this guy who seems to know what he is talking ABOUT:

I am well qualified to help out here. I have a 12.11 kW PV solar system installed on my house. I'm also a civil engineer by trade, so I understand the mechanics and technology behind it very well. I met with several contractors before settling with Summerlin Energy. They are fair and do good work. What I can tell you about other contractors such as Solar City (especially bad) and others, is that ABSOLUTELY DO NOT do a lease/buy to lease program with them. Pay for your system outright for it to be a worthwhile investment. Additionally this also allows you to keep your own generated portfolio energy credits (PECs) that you can trade with NV Energy or on the open market. They act like a stock certificate for green energy. If you do rebates you will forever give up your rights to these credits which may increase in value in the future. An additional benefit, there is NO property tax increase value on your house if solar is installed.

I'm a numbers guy being an engineer. You should pay roughly around $3.50-$3.75 per DC watt installed. If you are paying more than that, you are being ripped off, simple as that. Purchasing the gear yourself will run you $1.50 per DC watt, so the rest is made up in labor, permits, etc. The actual payoff when paying $3.50-$3.75 per DC watt is approximately 9 years no matter how you slice and dice it (Includes 30% tax credit, value of PEC credits, and credits of energy generation). That payoff time essentially comes down to the efficiency of the panels on a south facing sun exposure. Estimates of 7 years or less are lies (unless you get an extremely cheap install or do it yourself).

rONDABRWN, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH I WOULD LIKE TO BE OFF THE GRID AND SELF-SUFFICIENT. That's why I hope it becomes more economically feasible. But really, i'm speaking for future generations because at 63 I don't think I can get the money back before I kick the bucket. Also I don't have that kind of money unless I sell my home. But then I wouldn't need a solar system.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 22
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 8:51:32 AM   
rhondabrwn

That's my dilemma... since my dealer closed up the remaining outfit in town are like used car salesmen... I don't trust them at all, but they are the only local dealer :(

I can appreciate the difficulty of dealing with a surly utility trying to obstruct all grid tie applications. Here in AZ they are buying off the politicans to get a "maintenance fee" to make solar users pay for their generation and transmission costs whether you use their electricity or not! I heard that they eliminated the state energy credit effective next year. Classic corruption!

< Message edited by rhondabrwn -- 10/27/2015 9:52:57 AM >

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 23
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 9:00:15 AM   
rhondabrwn

It's not rocket science either... Solar panels are "plug and play". You can buy kits from online dealers and any competent electrician can hook it up.

Solar panels are about a buck a watt these days.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 24
RE: Need help! - 10/27/2015 12:22:45 PM   
Zap

Glad its simple to do. There was a story (can't find it now,sorry). A women who was fixing her own house blew it up. I thought, Ronda be careful with those kitchen units and low voltage.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 25
RE: Need help! - 10/28/2015 4:17:00 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

Glad its simple to do. There was a story (can't find it now,sorry). A women who was fixing her own house blew it up. I thought, Ronda be careful with those kitchen units and low voltage.

Haha... I'm super careful around my propane fueled stove Super careful with the wood stove as well!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 26
RE: Need help! - 10/28/2015 4:22:45 AM   
rhondabrwn

Got the voltage up to 97 volts today and the batteries to half charge. Ran the computer to handle some financial stuff. Ran perfectly normal, including the monitor. Cloudy weather ahead for the rest of the week. Holding on till pensions deposit on Friday. Then I will n
bite the bullet and get someone out here from Solar Exchange and hope they don't try to con me into an expensive upgrade.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 27
RE: Need help! - 10/28/2015 5:20:42 AM   
Zap

quote:

Got the voltage up to 97 volts today and the batteries to half charge. Ran the computer to handle some financial stuff. Ran perfectly normal, including the monitor. Cloudy weather ahead for the rest of the week. Holding on till pensions deposit on Friday. Then I will n
bite the bullet and get someone out here from Solar Exchange and hope they don't try to con me into an expensive upgrade.

Hold the line.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Need help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll