Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Searched Far and Wide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Searched Far and Wide Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Searched Far and Wide - 11/3/2015 9:14:59 PM   
Cruis.In

Ive searched, google far and wide for a solution, can't find any. I find the complaints but no solution.

I've seen people claim they can play on 700 or more stars with 19 or more empires and not experience choppy game play.

By choppy, I mean when you zoom out the galaxy map, you see the icons of ship movements skip around to move, instead of actually smoothly flying their vectors. They bounce along their vector to their destination which makes the game incredibly slow, as its almost as if they are using the slowest warp drive when in fact they have 36000 speed.

I play 19 empires, no pirates, sandbox, level 7 research. Many wars going on. Not sure how many years have passed, but I don't pause a lot and I've spent about 15 hours or more in the game.

I am hoping someone could try my save game and see if ships move choppy on the galaxy map. People play this with lesser specs than my PC and claim the late end game, with lots of wars, many empires and sectors, at least equivalent to mine is not choppy.

My specs
Core I3 3.2ghz
12 ram
ATI 270x turbo
2 terabyte drive
windows 7/8/10 gave the same experience.

Heres a link to download from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgk2vuqvginale6/CONTINUE%20THIS%20SOME%20DAY.dwg?dl=0
Post #: 1
RE: Searched Far and Wide - 11/3/2015 11:05:32 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

My experience is that the more empires you seed the smaller the amount of stars especially with habitable planets need to be seeded too or you will get late game bog downs or outright crashes. I can play a 15x15 400 star map with low probability of colonizable worlds with many empires and its fine late game but up the amount of stars and habitable planets and it goes to the crapper quick. The key to the issue seems more along the lines of amount of colonies and not empires as a game with few empires still bogs down if I overseeded usable worlds and colonies start running in the hundreds for each of the empires. I'm going to assume its the private sector economy with its zillion ships all crisscrossing the galaxy with the underlying trade and mining mechanics all working at the same time as your state run fleets and wars simply overpowering the code regardless of what its running on. Running an i5 4690k oc to 4.3 and a gtx 970 on 16gigs so my hardware is just dandy. All you can really do is experiment and find the right mix of settings to get you a smooth(ish) end game. Hopefully this late game performance issue will be addressed when dw2 comes out.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 2
RE: Searched Far and Wide - 11/3/2015 11:20:47 PM   
Cruis.In

HI Sir Horace thanks for the tips.

Check this I found on steam.

"
Well I dId some tinkering last night, I think I solved it.
I Ran the game in Windows XP Service pack 3 compatibilty mode. Also done a few things in Nvidia control pannel like single display mode, pref max performance.
Some reason i think my card wasn't boosting to its high clocks when running the game because its 2D, So I had to force it, but now I getting 0 lagg 100 FPS none stop no matter what, its all gravy!"

He has a super system.

You think that could be it? The 2d clock? I've realized my GPU isn't being used at all for DW. It only flickers to usage as I alt tab. The game launches at your default screen resolution unless you change that in startup.ini correct?

And to be sure we're on the same page, your ships fly 'smoothly' on the galaxy map in end game with the settings you suggested, and not 'choppy' 'bouncy'? Fly smooth like early game?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/261470/discussions/0/#p2

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 3
Unplayable My Ash! - 11/9/2015 4:21:39 AM   
Twigster

I am running the game on my POS 4-year old Lenovo T-510 with Win 7. It is Extended AI Improvement Mod 1.05, Elliptical galaxy, 1000-star, 10x10 sector, Old expansion, Chaos/Extreme, Research at 999K, no space creatures, no Pirates. Colony prevalence and Independent life set to Normal; No enforcing colony range limits. Excellent home system, Size: Old, Tech Level: 7, Corruption: Normal. 16 starting empires, independents can grow empires. Enabled Disaster and Race-specific events only. Allowed Tech Trading, no Kaltors- this is a Sandbox game. Started just after 1.05 release, wanted to see what the new race performance was like. I am playing Zenox, starting government was Technocracy.
The Galaxy began in 2350 with 16 fully-formed empires. Early in their exploration, the Zenox discovered and implemented the Way of Darkness government (which they have had ever since). At that point I started RP’ing the now “evil” Zenox having the overwhelming desire to rid the Galaxy entirely of Keskudon (this was BEFORE I encountered the Keskudon), and wanting to enslave all other races not like them (BTW, this has lent itself to some RP “internal politics” as I went back and forth on that issue). At this point I just want to throw in my heart-felt and very well-deserved kudos to Icemania for the Mod: h-o-l-y s-h-i-t! (I remember reading somewhere that AI bombardment was ineffective- I really wish I had not read that, because it flatly just is not true). I make a save approx. every 45-60 minutes. Honestly, I have never reloaded back, I play through with what I get. That said, I try to be careful but I have a RL as well so I end up pausing often and am very thorough, the result being I have been playing this game for 5 months and am no further along than I am. I call it great fun.
The long-anticipated Galactic War began on 4 August 2552; it is now 13 July 2565 and the war is still on. Reputation is Satisfactory and War Weariness JUST went to Significant. My 94 colonies in 72 systems generate a GDP of 3532K; I currently have 2 Leaders (why? A minor race offered me a planet in exchange for trade sanctions against another race- the planet was their homeworld: I just went with it), 7 Ambassadors, 18 Planetary Governors, 18 Fleet Admirals, 18 Ship Captains, 8 Troop Generals, 20 Scientists (kept around for RP purposes), and 7 Intelligence Agents. ( I have lost at least 8 Characters to enemy action during the current war).Total pop is 737,486M, of which 252,166 are Zenox (with some minor variation RP-driven variation, my standard Population setting is Do Not Accept/Enslave- and just in case you were wondering, yes, Enslave does make one’s economic life a LOT more interesting). State economy COH is currently 38223K, ship and base maintenance is 1210K, troop maintenance is an eye-popping 1678K, facilities maintenance is 645K. Cashflow at present is -1970K. My Bonus income currently is just over half that. At present I have 4352 ground battalions, 441 warships, 53 defense bases, 18 x SSP, 8 x LSP and 11 Resort bases. Private economy COH is 204693K (that currently ranks me #8 economically in the game, thanks to the war), ship and base maintenance is 2671K, Cashflow is -558K (oh! Did I neglect to mention that earlier this year there was a COUP D’ ETAT which gave me even more rebellions, caused me to lose 4 planets just because and gave an already fun economic situation more gas). I had already lost four planets to the Keskudon. I have 1,657 freighters, passenger and mining ships, mining stations, etc. I am not taking advantage of any exploits.
As for Wonders, I have the Trade Guild, Holographic Universe, Koloros Medical Academy (take a guess at how much fun life becomes if I lose either of those?), Casidor Weapons Facility and the Galactic Archives. I also have the Unit Forum which, though not a Wonder per se, probably should be judging by how frequently the planet it resides on has been attacked. A global +20% Diplomacy has helped a lot. Significant Achievements are: Veteran of the Galactic War M, Marauder III, Planetary Warfare III, Conqueror III, Assassin III, Free Trader and What’s Yours Is Mine III. My score is 2,772, 598. The Keskudon’s score is 5, 581,623.
So, to performance issues. Full Zoom-out, does it crawl as described above? Yeah buddy! But you know what? I have noticed ZERO performance problems when fighting space and ground battles, or anywhere else and have learned to adjust to the choppiness. Basically because I wanted to, and to me it does not much in detracting play value. Just me. Yeah, some menus take some time opening- again a minor irritation to ME. I have learned how to tailor pop-up displays and all other notifications so that does not bother me. The only macro thing I have noticed as a bug is that for some reason, even though I order them built, ground troops will not build on a couple of planets- weird.
Could DW be better? Yep- I am looking forward to it. Until then, I intend to keep trying to conquer this Galaxy until A) I do (or lose), or B) DW2 comes out. Anyhoo, that’s my two cents. I am more than happy to post screen shots if anybody wants to see them.

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 4
RE: Unplayable My Ash! - 11/10/2015 1:23:58 AM   
Spacecadet

When zoomed out to Galaxy level the ships are going to kind of skip/jump.

Keep in mind, zoomed out, each grid is 2,000,000 pixel locations, so each skip/jump is representing tens of thousands of pixels being traversed.

This even happens on smaller games, it's just the nature of things.

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 5
RE: Unplayable My Ash! - 11/10/2015 3:18:37 PM   
Twigster

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Searched Far and Wide Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI