Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/9/2015 12:09:38 AM   
FeebleKenny

Greetings everyone. I tried searching the forums to see if anyone else had experienced this issue but I wasn't able to find anything. My problem is after closing the game it continues to be "running" within Steam, meaning that I cannot launch the game or even exit Steam. I cannot find any process associated with the game so I am fairly certain it is not in fact running. I have tried forcing Steam to close and relaunching as well as completely restarting my computer. The only thing that has worked so far is completely uninstalling and reinstalling Steam. I am wondering at this point how to resolve this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/9/2015 12:38:53 AM   
CapnDarwin

Is this a Steam only install? What OS are you running? Are any other programs running in the background? This is a new one. One other thought, is your Steam installed in the default location? Do you have admin privileges on the computer?

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to FeebleKenny)
Post #: 2
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/9/2015 1:12:24 AM   
FeebleKenny

Wow thanks for responding so quickly. It is indeed a Steam only install. I am running Windows 8. Very few background programs running. Just the Nvidia control centre, the Java updater and Origin. And yes my Steam is installed in the default location.

After a further reinstall I noticed this- I can run the game and exit without any issue at first. It is only when I then exit and restart Steam that it shows the game as "running" and it then becomes impossible to exit Steam normally. Also, when I try to start the game using the .exe file in the Steam directory, it opens to the game's main menu screen and displays this error: "Steam initialization failed. Is the Steam engine running? Please contact Matrix Games for assistance."

Thanks a ton for your help with this! It's a great game and I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/12/2015 8:18:51 PM   
FeebleKenny

Just as an update and for the benefit of anyone else who happens to be experiencing this- the only thing resembling a solution I have discovered so far is to delete the game from Steam after each play session. If the game is uninstalled prior to exiting Steam, it avoids the "Game is already running" problem on relaunch.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/12/2015 9:30:14 PM   
CapnDarwin

There appears to be a couple odd OS related bugs with this update and install. Yours is the first for what it is doing with not unloading clean. One thing to try would be launching Steam with the "Run as Admin" option via right click on the steam.exe file. Let me know if that helps. We are basically baffled by this one. Also, have you tried a reinstall of Steam? Maybe something in their code blew up.

Post #: 5
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/12/2015 11:17:00 PM   
Swiso

Hi, I had the same problem and solved by downloading the latest Steam version and installing it over the installed version on my PC.
Now the game start.
The only problem I have right now is that when I choose a scenario from Reforger I keep receiving this message :
EDIT : I deleted the local files of the game and re-downloaded again....same problem.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Swiso -- 11/13/2015 12:18:30 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/12/2015 11:23:05 PM   
Swiso

Btw..this is what I see on the steam game window :
Game and expansion pack are installed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Swiso)
Post #: 7
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/13/2015 11:50:56 AM   
Phoenix100

I have this without steam. I have never had the steam version. I did a clean install this morning, updated through the game flash screen to .10 and when I quit it comes up with an error as such:

This is just with the update. I haven't bought the new pack yet.

I've sent the bug report via the auto system there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by phoenix -- 11/13/2015 12:53:18 PM >

(in reply to Swiso)
Post #: 8
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/13/2015 12:33:13 PM   
CapnDarwin

Phoenix, first time for everything. We will look at the bug report you sent later today. Just to recap, Matrix only version, 2.0.10 update applied, crashes at launcher. What OS are you running? Have you tried a reboot and reinstall of the update using the "Run as Admin" option? We will work to figure this out.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/13/2015 12:39:35 PM   
Phoenix100

Doesn't crash at launch, Capn, no. I can run it all no probs. It produces the above posted error message when I exit. I just close the program and that's ok, so it's not a killer problem. But I thought it must signify that after I've exited something is still running in the background. I did a clean install this morning, as admin, and to do that I did this - installed my original FCRS version 2, then used the game/matrix updater to update to .10. Didn't install any updates between the original version 2 game I bought and letting the game update to .10.

I bought Germany now and I notice that this error doesn't occur when running Germany scenarios, just original FCRS scenarios and campaigns.

But since I can run it ok I wouldn't worry too much. You will have higher priorities right now, no doubt!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/13/2015 12:46:51 PM   
CapnDarwin

Great that it runs. We do have another guy with the same issue of a locked up exit in Steam. Some we need to investigate since we have not seen it before. Your bug report may help. Steam is not dumping one.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 11
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 1:54:42 AM   
FeebleKenny

Well I'm pleased to say that my problem has finally been fixed. I'm still not entirely sure what the fix was but after inadvertently downloading a round of Windows updates the problem suddenly went away. I guess it was somehow OS related. Seems that anyone suffering my particular issue running Windows 8 should investigate whether they have all available updates.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 12
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 3:51:52 PM   
wololoh

**NOTE Got the game running, see bottom of next post**

Hello,

Unfortunately I am also encountering this 'running' problem. I cannot shut down the instances of 'FPRS.exe' in task manager because access is denied, I have to do a full restart to get rid of them. I bought the game + expansion on steam last friday and played for a bit then, however when I tried to run it sunday evening I could not get it running (even though steam may say its running ). Things I tried:

reinstall the game (two times)
Uninstalling steam completely including my installed games, then reinstalling steam client and this game

I haven't got it running yet though. (I also only have it on steam, so right now I unfortunately cannot play at all). I am now trying to install some optional windows updates, will see if that changes anything...

Note I'm using windows 8.1 (up to date as far as required updates go) and a fresh installation of a fully up to date steam client.

< Message edited by wololoh -- 11/16/2015 6:54:15 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 5:13:14 PM   
wololoh

UPDATE (IN THE MEANTIME IT RUNS, SEE BELOW FOR SOLUTION

So I updated windows including optional updates, totally deleted and reinstalled the game again. This is what happens when I try to run it in steam:

- I get the message about my code for germany reforged, hit ' play'
- steam bootstrap client crashes -> steam gone
- I restart steam, steam says game is running
- nothing in task manager (no autorun nor FCRS.exe, though I have had issues with multiples of these running at the same time)

Now I'm gonna take a rest, hopefully I can try something else later to get it working ...

**UPDATE TO UPDATE** GAME WORKS NOW!

I got it running! I removed the game completely again. Then turned off AV, ran steam as admin and re-installed (this was an idea from another thread here somewhere). Re-activated AV and ran steam normally, and the game starts and plays!

< Message edited by wololoh -- 11/16/2015 7:18:41 PM >

(in reply to wololoh)
Post #: 14
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 5:59:51 PM   
CapnDarwin

Wololoh, can you try the following to see if the based updated game runs? Using the properties tab in Steam, uncheck the Reforged DLC. Then click the "delete local game files". Reboot. Then go back into Steam and load Red Storm. See if it runs, start and save a scenario, exit the game, restart and load the save game and make sure it plays. If you could let us know if that works, we can narrow down the problem as being in the DLC package.

Thanks for your help and patience in this matter.

(in reply to wololoh)
Post #: 15
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 6:16:30 PM   
wololoh

Hi Capn Darwin, See the last part in my last post, I got the game running in the meantime (I will edit the post again to make it more clear). Also the solution I used is in there .

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 16
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 6:51:20 PM   
CapnDarwin

And by running you mean with the DLC loaded and a game played and it exits clean? I just want to get all the information correct. Also glad it works, but we are working on trying to figure out why it blew up.

(in reply to wololoh)
Post #: 17
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 7:03:00 PM   
wololoh

Yes. Running fine, including normal exiting. Also saving, exiting, restarting and loading works fine. Also I can correctly load an expansion scenario.

And you're lucky; I'm reading a good book atm , giving me time to do some experimentation. I've deleted the game again and am now running the installation the 'normal' way without the expansion, will edit this post when I have more info on that. If it does work I will add the expansion and then see if it goes wrong. Note also that I booted it multiple times last friday without any problems, that was also after a normal installation with expansion (I don't know what exactly changed in the meantime).

edit: So I tried installing just the base game, got the same problem. (steam crashes, at restart it says that game is running). I'm now using the trick from my previous post again to do a good install .

< Message edited by wololoh -- 11/16/2015 8:30:22 PM >

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 18
RE: [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug - 11/16/2015 9:43:14 PM   
CapnDarwin

Don't feel lucky with this explosion of weird bugs unrelated to the game itself. Thanks for your info. It does help us narrow down where things are going off the rails.

(in reply to wololoh)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Tech Support >> [Steam] Resolving the "Running" Bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI