Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 5:45:29 AM   
Barb

Well I've got all US Subs written down, and data exported from scenario 1 tracker. Now to match them

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 31
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 1:34:07 PM   
JocMeister

MM, any plans on looking into China besides a small supply bump?

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 32
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 1:48:33 PM   
ny59giants

China - I increased device production by 50 to 100% for RA, Treaty, and BTS mods. It does help some. I decreased the number of disabled industry to help with organic production of supply. There is plenty of resources for LI and HI. Check out BTS mod changes.

PP - The Allies have 60 PP with these mods. I would go with that or 65 per day.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 33
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 1:51:25 PM   
Barb

Got all the available sub data together ...
You will find differences in few things:
- class differences on 4 Gato boats listed in game as Balao (SS-361-364)
- class differences on 2 Balao boats listed in game as Tench (SS-425&426)
- some subs should be at sea, or another base at the start of the game

- actual departure and arrival dates on relevant bases when possible
- in game arrival dates and bases
- in game departure dates from game
- notes of various characters

With some calculating and guess, one can fill up the missing data (like arrival at base X, when departure from base Y is known), etc.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Barb -- 10/2/2015 2:51:44 PM >

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 34
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 1:53:12 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

Nevada and Pennsylvania rebuilds ok.

Tennessee and California rebuilds started started in July 42, not Jan 43
TENNESSEE: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. VII, pp. 88-100
CALIFORNIA: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II, pp. 14-15

Maryland 5"/38 rebuild started in May 45 for 90 days, not 270
MARYLAND: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV, pp. 257-259

West Virginia 5"/38 rebuild started June 43 until June 44, but that time included hull repair. Currently she morphs into the Maryland tree, and doesn't get upgrade until 1945.
WEST VIRGINIA: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. VIII, pp. 222-227.

I'm of the opinion that Colorado, Maryland, and West Virginia should have an option to start rebuilding no later than Oct 42 (much like the Tennessee class) with a maximum of 120-180 days to rebuild

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing
Q1: In game terms, is this merely a case of moving the upgrade dates or do changes need to be made to the upgrades themselves?

Q2: Does the WV deserve a "class" of it's own in light of it's upgrade?

Q3: Was the WV hull repair due to operational damage or a deliberate decision to modify the design of the ship? If the former, how long should the rebuild take, assuming no damage to be repaired.

Q1: Change need to be made to the Maryland's class 346 5"/38. Rebuild should be shortened to a 90 day upgrade.

Q2: West Virginia should have a class path of it's own in light of her upgrade.

Q3: West Virginia's hull repair was the permanent repair of the Pearl Harbor Attack damage. It's hard to put a "what if" on this, because "what if" she was only lightly damaged in the attack, would her rebuild have been done? If so, would it have been later like Maryland, or very little, like Colorado? My thought is that she gets her own path with 1/42 upgrade (radar), 6/43 upgrade of at least 120 days to near similar loadout/specs of Maryland's in 4/45, and then upgrades to Maryland's 4/45.

The fly in all this ointment is that the Allied player doesn't know which BB's will get hurt the worst, if at all. In my PBeM game, my IJN opponent eschewed the Pearl Harbor strike and hit the DEI with Kido Butai instead. All of my 9 BBs would have been available for rotation into the modernization program. If the option were available, as the Allied Player, I would definitely send my old BBs to the yard and spend 120-180 days modernizing them.

In all the reading I've done (hopefully I'll get more books for Christmas), it appears that the thinking after the start of war shifted when the importance of air power was realized. I would further conjecture that had the war begun differently, that the Colorado class would have been taken in hand immediately for rebuild, as they were the "newest" of the pre-war BBs.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 35
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 2:52:33 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

You might want to consider looking over the Focus Pacific mod.

In that one the emergency reinforcements do not enter automatically as a triggered result.

The Allies have to buy them. They can also buy them at any time, not trigger dependent.

The cost for these units is considerably higher than the cost of buying out ordinary on map restricted units.

You might want to consider a similar high cost for release of the West Coast garrison units.

I'll have a look. Focus Pacific changes too much for my tastes. At the core, I just want to give the Allied player the option of buying out the units that start on the West Coast. The emergency reinforcements are not something I want to change.

quote:

Re-base the Prince of Wales and Repulse TF to Colombo headed for Singapore. The only reason they were sunk was because they were stupid enough to sail into an enemy AZoC without air support THREE DAYS after the Pearl Harbor attack.

USN pre-war BB upgrades are borked. Their re-builds are about 2 years behind schedule.

PoW and Repulse will stay at Singapore as that's where they were on Dec 7th.

What USN BB upgrades do you speak of, and do you have any documentation to back it up?

Side Note: when I said "can you make a good argument for it [your proposed changes ]to be there?" that was me politely asking for some evidence to back up what you say. I like some hard facts to back things up.

Wasn't advocating for developing a mod as out there as FP. Only suggesting that increasing the cost for buyout of the "garrison" units above the norm as was done in FP might be worth considering to quell the opposition to allowing such a buyout.

Hans

Post #: 36
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 3:11:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

MM, any plans on looking into China besides a small supply bump?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

China - I increased device production by 50 to 100% for RA, Treaty, and BTS mods. It does help some. I decreased the number of disabled industry to help with organic production of supply. There is plenty of resources for LI and HI. Check out BTS mod changes.

PP - The Allies have 60 PP with these mods. I would go with that or 65 per day.

It is my view that the problem with China is, at it's core, supply. If the Japanese subject the Chinese to a solid campaign of airbase bombing (and it would be stupid not to), I don't think that the Chinese can gather enough supply to effectively utilize their device pools. It's no good boosting device production if bases don't have enough supply to take replacements.

To that end, I'm thinking of the following:

- Give a bit more supply to the Chungking stockpile on Dec 7th, and perhaps the Sian stockpile as well.
- Boost automatic supply generation all across China.
- Less disabled industry in Chinese held cities.

Hopefully, this should mean that Chinese units remain poorly equipped (as historical) but don't end up being starved to death.

quote:

quote:

Nevada and Pennsylvania rebuilds ok.

Tennessee and California rebuilds started started in July 42, not Jan 43
TENNESSEE: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. VII, pp. 88-100
CALIFORNIA: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II, pp. 14-15

Maryland 5"/38 rebuild started in May 45 for 90 days, not 270
MARYLAND: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV, pp. 257-259

West Virginia 5"/38 rebuild started June 43 until June 44, but that time included hull repair. Currently she morphs into the Maryland tree, and doesn't get upgrade until 1945.
WEST VIRGINIA: Toppan, Andrew, with Jewell, Larry W. Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. VIII, pp. 222-227.

I'm of the opinion that Colorado, Maryland, and West Virginia should have an option to start rebuilding no later than Oct 42 (much like the Tennessee class) with a maximum of 120-180 days to rebuild

quote:

Q1: In game terms, is this merely a case of moving the upgrade dates or do changes need to be made to the upgrades themselves?

Q2: Does the WV deserve a "class" of it's own in light of it's upgrade?

Q3: Was the WV hull repair due to operational damage or a deliberate decision to modify the design of the ship? If the former, how long should the rebuild take, assuming no damage to be repaired.

Q1: Change need to be made to the Maryland's class 346 5"/38. Rebuild should be shortened to a 90 day upgrade.

Q2: West Virginia should have a class path of it's own in light of her upgrade.

Q3: West Virginia's hull repair was the permanent repair of the Pearl Harbor Attack damage. It's hard to put a "what if" on this, because "what if" she was only lightly damaged in the attack, would her rebuild have been done? If so, would it have been later like Maryland, or very little, like Colorado? My thought is that she gets her own path with 1/42 upgrade (radar), 6/43 upgrade of at least 120 days to near similar loadout/specs of Maryland's in 4/45, and then upgrades to Maryland's 4/45.

The fly in all this ointment is that the Allied player doesn't know which BB's will get hurt the worst, if at all. In my PBeM game, my IJN opponent eschewed the Pearl Harbor strike and hit the DEI with Kido Butai instead. All of my 9 BBs would have been available for rotation into the modernization program. If the option were available, as the Allied Player, I would definitely send my old BBs to the yard and spend 120-180 days modernizing them.

In all the reading I've done (hopefully I'll get more books for Christmas), it appears that the thinking after the start of war shifted when the importance of air power was realized. I would further conjecture that had the war begun differently, that the Colorado class would have been taken in hand immediately for rebuild, as they were the "newest" of the pre-war BBs.

Fantastic work, that's something I can get started on right away!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

With some calculating and guess, one can fill up the missing data (like arrival at base X, when departure from base Y is known), etc.

Thanks for this!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 37
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 3:53:25 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

It is my view that the problem with China is, at it's core, supply. If the Japanese subject the Chinese to a solid campaign of airbase bombing (and it would be stupid not to), I don't think that the Chinese can gather enough supply to effectively utilize their device pools. It's no good boosting device production if bases don't have enough supply to take replacements.

- Give a bit more supply to the Chungking stockpile on Dec 7th, and perhaps the Sian stockpile as well.

Hopefully, this should mean that Chinese units remain poorly equipped (as historical) but don't end up being starved to death.

While I certainly agree supply is one of the main issues in China I think garrison requirements could help with some of the issues too. If increased on both sides it will tie down more forces lessening the amount of combat which in turn would burn less supply.

Personally I would like to see a substantial increase in Japanese garrisons of Chinese held territory. This would stop the Japanese from steamrolling all over China in a couple of months as AV would bleed off the attack to become garrisons for each captured city. At least enough to force the Japanese to commit unrestricted troops in order to knock China out.

As it is now China is almost a "freebie" even with existing troops. I don´t think Japans ability to knock China out should be removed completely but it should require a huge investment in troops to do so (including a good chunk of the unrestricted Japanese IDs).

Another thing that could be looked at is the many Manchurian armor and artillery units that can be bought out. When these are sent to China the engine goes bonanza as Chinese squads simply cannot deal with the firepower. Perhaps make at least some of them perma restricted?

Obviously this is hard to balance right but it can´t get much worse then it already is.

Post #: 38
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 4:59:36 PM   
Lokasenna

RE: China -

A problem that I don't think anyone has realized with China is that almost all of the Chinese units (maybe it is actually all) start with X number of devices... but half of those are disabled. The Allied player can't stop these squads from repairing to active status, and as they do so the unit will require more supply than it did before repairing. I would look at changing this in some way.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 39
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 6:26:01 PM   
ny59giants

Manchurian artillery in China - Many of the big guns are siege type guns and in reality would take months, not just a few weeks to move. So, my way to slow this down would be add a static device to those units and be able to upgrade to a non-static device say in mid-42 to reflect the amount of time needed to relocate them.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 40
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/2/2015 7:53:05 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Manchurian artillery in China - Many of the big guns are siege type guns and in reality would take months, not just a few weeks to move. So, my way to slow this down would be add a static device to those units and be able to upgrade to a non-static device say in mid-42 to reflect the amount of time needed to relocate them.

That is very clever!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 41
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/5/2015 7:44:19 AM   
Barb

quote:

Thanks for this!

Hope you got through the data successfully and their "meaning" is clear enough to get the right conclusions where the definite data are lacking...
I am going to start with the destroyers. Is the data structure satisfactory?

Post #: 42
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/7/2015 1:51:59 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

While I certainly agree supply is one of the main issues in China I think garrison requirements could help with some of the issues too. If increased on both sides it will tie down more forces lessening the amount of combat which in turn would burn less supply.

Personally I would like to see a substantial increase in Japanese garrisons of Chinese held territory. This would stop the Japanese from steamrolling all over China in a couple of months as AV would bleed off the attack to become garrisons for each captured city. At least enough to force the Japanese to commit unrestricted troops in order to knock China out.

As it is now China is almost a "freebie" even with existing troops. I don´t think Japans ability to knock China out should be removed completely but it should require a huge investment in troops to do so (including a good chunk of the unrestricted Japanese IDs).

Another thing that could be looked at is the many Manchurian armor and artillery units that can be bought out. When these are sent to China the engine goes bonanza as Chinese squads simply cannot deal with the firepower. Perhaps make at least some of them perma restricted?

Obviously this is hard to balance right but it can´t get much worse then it already is.

I disagree. Granted, it's not easy, but it is possible to stall the Japanese advance.

The real core of the issue, as I see it, is the fact that there's just no room for error as the Chinese. You can't really afford to lose several big battles, otherwise the Japanese gain the upper hand. I'll wait and see what the extra supply does for China before making any other changes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

RE: China -

A problem that I don't think anyone has realized with China is that almost all of the Chinese units (maybe it is actually all) start with X number of devices... but half of those are disabled. The Allied player can't stop these squads from repairing to active status, and as they do so the unit will require more supply than it did before repairing. I would look at changing this in some way.

It's my hope that the extra supply production will cover this.

quote:

My understanding is that the siege artillery from Manchuria went to help at Bataan. I think this leads to a nice dilemma for the Japanese player: send it to Bataan and speed the southern drive up, or send it to China to help there. I want to keep that dilemma.

quote:

quote:

Thanks for this!

Hope you got through the data successfully and their "meaning" is clear enough to get the right conclusions where the definite data are lacking...
I am going to start with the destroyers. Is the data structure satisfactory?

Everything looks great regarding the data, both in quantity and structure. The only thing I could ask would be if you could mark clearly the subs that require changes so that it's as simple as possible for me to change in the editor.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 43
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/8/2015 5:47:19 AM   
Barb

quote:

Everything looks great regarding the data, both in quantity and structure. The only thing I could ask would be if you could mark clearly the subs that require changes so that it's as simple as possible for me to change in the editor.

All right, I will go through subs and mark them.
Currently working on destroyers - from four-pipers up to Benson Class. Gleaves, Fletchers, Allen M. Sumner will follow. Then on to Destroyer conversions ... That is more than 800 ships to get through...

Post #: 44
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/11/2015 4:39:52 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: BJStone

What do you think about taking off the STATIC setting on the CD units? I think many of those are also white-restricted.

These are usually "FIXED" guns that would take a long time to move.(Heavy guns 12"+, some lower, some heavy morters) The CD units that are not static are smaller weapons(5" or so) that can be moved and used for coastal defense....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 10/11/2015 5:42:24 PM >

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BJStone)
Post #: 45
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/12/2015 6:18:17 AM   
Barb

Updated excel sheets for US Submarines (finished, and marked) and Destroyers (still working on it ):

Notes for submarines:
- yellow indicates difference between actual arrival date in game and optimal (calculated or real) of less than 30 days
- orange indicates difference of 30-90 days
- red indicates difference of more than 90 days
- Some submarines of the early classes should be withdrawn from action later in the war (those who were withdrawn actually) - But those Sunk IRL are not subject to such withdrawal - this should be required too of all pre-Gato boats.
- where I knew the dates of departure for Pacific I used "New London,CT" equal to "Eastern USA".
- Key West, FL, Port Everglades, FL, had 4 days travel time added to Panama Canal Zone
- Usual Panama Canal transit time was 1-14 days, most early ships transited in 3 days
- Boats build on eastern coast usually underwent training at New London, CT. Some served briefly (week long stops) at Key West or Port Everglades on sound training schools.
- Boats build by Manitowoc, WI were floated down the rivers to New Orleans and underwent their training partially in New Orleans area, and partially from Coco Solo, Panama (Balboa).
- Boats build on west coast usually trained at San Diego or San Francisco area.
- 2 boats were sunk before they could appear in game: SS-296 Lancetfish and SS-248 Dorado
- There is notable "slack down" of boat building and commissioning at the end of war - considering scenario is up to 6.1946, one can play with the slowed / cancelled boats...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 46
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/16/2015 3:58:40 PM   
US87891

quote:

As for DaBabes, I handle that with trepidation. It changes alot, and not many of the changes can be seen on the surface. It's something for future consideration, but would require additional work.

DaBabes, for example, splits the IJA infantry squads into regular infantry squads and "heavy" infantry squads. That means I need to work out where my proposed '45 IJA squad fits within the scenario 1 paradigm, and then do the same for the DaBabes scenario. Considering I still need to find out what the formula for defining a squads anti-soft/anti-armor values are, there's some work to be done.

I'm not saying I won't apply my changes to DaBabes, but not yet (and if the DaBabes folks let me!).

You might consider looking at the BabesLite scenarios. BabesLite has all of the under-the-hood enhancements to Naval, AA, Artillery, Firepower, Air, OOB internal detail, and the like, as BigBabes, yet all LCUs are in their official scenario slot locations so that the scenarios are seamless across PBEM and AI play with respect to official GC scenarios 1,2, and so on.

All Babes scenarios, written for the Matrix Games WiTP-AE title and engine, are completely open source. One may do with them as they wish without encountering any intellectual property issues. This is a printable open source license and disclaimer of ownership for anyone and everyone delving into, and looking to modify, the Babes scenario data.

Comment – the split between IJA and Hy IJA squads is nothing but eye-candy. It is something John did years ago to satisfy the Japanese aficionados who demanded recognition of the 3-4 man increase in Japanese A type, over B type, infantry squads. There is no point in continuing the distinction. We have long since departed from that paradigm.

The new classes and ships are not extensive. The new ship types are useful for a thoughtful player.

Matt

Post #: 47
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/27/2015 9:02:36 AM   
Barb

How is the project doing? No news around....
I am currently working on "Optimal Base and Date of Arrival" for US Destroyers - now in 1943 arrivals... going through whatever source available (yet without official records) to get them as close to reality as possible. Where not possible the best guess is used to calculate the arrival from the available data...

Probably one more data error in Scen 1 - ID1647 Radar Device (Observer/Listening device) should probably upgrade to ID1648 Ta-Chi X radar which upgrades to ID1649 Ta-Chi X radar...
Device is used by IJAAF Battalions - which are therefore stuck with original device ...

Ah and there is also the "Ohka" thing ... I do not know if it is already fixed in this project...

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 48
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 10/27/2015 11:05:06 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

How is the project doing? No news around....
I am currently working on "Optimal Base and Date of Arrival" for US Destroyers - now in 1943 arrivals... going through whatever source available (yet without official records) to get them as close to reality as possible. Where not possible the best guess is used to calculate the arrival from the available data...

Probably one more data error in Scen 1 - ID1647 Radar Device (Observer/Listening device) should probably upgrade to ID1648 Ta-Chi X radar which upgrades to ID1649 Ta-Chi X radar...
Device is used by IJAAF Battalions - which are therefore stuck with original device ...

Ah and there is also the "Ohka" thing ... I do not know if it is already fixed in this project...

Currently real life is eating into my AE time, but I've been chipping away. I hope to get the bulk of the work done over the Christmas holidays and the New Year period, when I have a little more time.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 49
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/4/2015 9:50:30 AM   
Barb

So here are the data for US Destroyers and Conversions (APD, DM, DMS, AVD, etc) added to the Submarines. Quite a few errors encountered apart usual arriving at wrong place and wrong date:

Destroyer errors in Scenario 1:
DD-773 Aaron Ward II - Allen M.Sumner class - should be DM-34 in game
APD-8 Waters - should be DD Waters - conversion was started only on 19.12.1942
DD-113 Rathburne - should be Wickes class
DD-595 Metcalf - in game as "Metcalfe"
DD-748 Harry E.Hubbard - in game as "Hubbard"
DD-881 Bordelon - in game as "Bordelson"
DD-625 Harding + DMS-28 Harding - arriving as both ships, should be DMS only
DD-627 Thompson = DMS-38 Thompson - shoul be DMS
DD-493 Carmick = DMS-33 Carmick - should be DMS
DD-494 Doyle = DMS-34 Doyle - should be DMS
DD-495 Endicott = DMS-35 Endicott - should be DMS
DD-496 McCook = DMS-36 McCook - should be DMS

Destroyer conversions errors in Scenario 1:
APD-22 Herbert - should be Wickes APD class
APD-21 Dickerson - should be Wickes APD class
APD-102 Rednour - in game as APD Reynour
APD-36 Greene - should be Clemson APD class, not Crosley
DMS-8 Stansbury is missing - should be Wickes DMS class
DMS-16 Trever - in game as "Trevor"
DMS-25 Fitch, DMS-29 Butler, DMS-31 Mervine, DMS-32 Quick, DMS-37 Davison, DMS-39 Cowie, DMS-40 Knight, DMS-41 Doran, DMS-42 Earle - are missing from scenario 1, should be Ellyson DMS
AVP-48 Onslow, AVP-49 Orca, AVP-50 Rehbooth, AVP-51 San Carlos, AVP-52 Shelikof, AVP-53 Suisun - Barnegat class tenders are missing from scenario 1

... started working on the PF/DE data...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 50
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/4/2015 9:57:18 AM   
Barb

Also in case someone has problems identifying Benson/Gleaves/Bristol/Livermore classes, here is the basic distribution (gave me headache):

Built to original design: 5x5in/38
DD 421-422 2x Benson - Betlehem original design
DD 423-424 2x Gleaves - Gibbs&Cox design commissioned already with changes from Gleaves/Livermore
DD 425-428 4x Benson - built to Betlehem original design
DD 429-444 16x Gleaves/Livermore - Gibbs&Cox design

Built as "Repeat" ships - 4x5in/38 only
DD 453-458 6x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 459-460 2x "Repeat Benson"
DD 461-464 4x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 483-490 8x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 491-492 2x "Repeat Benson"
DD 493-467 5x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 598-617 20x "Repeat Benson"
DD 618-628 11x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 632-641 10x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"
DD 645-648 4x Gleaves/Bristol - alias "Repeat Gleaves/Livermore"

Total:
6x Benson
24x Benson Repeat

2x Gleaves
16x Gleaves/Livermore
48x Gleaves/Bristol

However the "Original ships" had their armament later "downgraded" to just 4x5in/38 so the differences between ships were later smoothed out, but existed between each ship in the class (as upgrades were happening all the time)...

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 51
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/11/2015 11:28:15 AM   
Barb

Se here is the new update - US Frigates and Destroyer Escorts
- with usual errata notes (for Frigates first)

Tacoma class Frigates:
- extra:
PF-26 Poughkeepsie - passed pacific only from Balboa, to Seattle for repairs and to Cold Bay, Alaska for transfer to Soviet Navy

- not in game
PF-14 Grand Island
PF-16 Bangor
PF-17 Key West
PF-20 Gulfport
PF-35 Belfast
PF-51 Burlington
PF-62 Gladwyne
PF-63 Moberly
PF-71 New Bedford
PF-99 Orlando
PF-100 Racine

- should have withdrawal date
PF-40 Eugene - 25.5.1945 (Atlantic)
PF-25 Charlottesville - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-34 Long Beach - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-35 Belfast - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-36 Glendale - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-37 San Pedro - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-38 Coronado - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-39 Ogden - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-52 Allentown - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-53 Machias - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-54 Sandusky - 12.7.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-3 Tacoma - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-4 Sausalito - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-5 Hoquiam - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-6 Pasco - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-7 Albuquerque - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-8 Everett - 16.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-46 Bisbee - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-47 Gallup - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-48 Rockford - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-49 Muskogee - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-50 Carson City - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)
PF-51 Burlington - 26.8.1945 (Soviet Navy)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 52
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/11/2015 11:30:03 AM   
Barb

and Errata for Destroyer Escorts:
Evarts GMT:
DE-25 Wintle - not in game

Buckley TE:
DE-636 Witter - should arrive as DE, in game arrives as APD
DE-637 Bowers - should arrive as DE, in game arrives as APD
(both ships were converted to APDs while in repairs after being hit by kamikaze)

Cannon DET: - not in game
DE-168 Amick
DE-171 Caroll
DE-172 Cooner
DE-176 Micka
DE-180 Trumpeter
DE-181 Straub
DE-182 Gustafson
DE-763 Cates
DE-765 Earl K.Olsen
DE-766 Slater

Edsall FMR: - not in game
DE-130 Jacob Jones
DE-131 Hammann
DE-132 Robert E.Peary
DE-138 Douglas L.Howard
DE-139 Farquhar
DE-141 Hill
DE-142 Fessenden
DE-144 Frost
DE-145 Huse
DE-148 Brough
DE-238 Stewart
DE-239 Sturtevant
DE-240 Moore
DE-241 Keith
DE-242 Tomich
DE-243 J.Richard Ward
DE-244 Otterseter
DE-245 Sloat
DE-246 Snowden
DE-247 Stanton
DE-248 Swasey
DE-252 Howard D.Crow
DE-255 Sellstrom
DE-329 Kretchmer
DE-335 Daniel
DE-336 Roy O.Hale
DE-337 Dale W.Peterson
DE-338 Martin H.Ray
DE-383 Mills
DE-385 Richey
DE-386 Savage
DE-387 Vance
DE-388 Lansing
DE-389 Durant
DE-390 Calcaterra
DE-391 Chambers
DE-392 Merrill
DE-394 Swenning
DE-395 Willis
DE-396 Janssen
DE-397 Willhoite
DE-398 Cockrill

Rudderow TEV:
(none)

John C.Butler WGT:
DE-360 Johnnie Hutchins - in game as "Hutchins"
DE-423 Duffilho - in game as "Duffilmo"

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 53
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/13/2015 6:40:53 AM   
Barb

Carriers next...
(You wouldn't believe how difficult it can be to dig out a sailing date of a ship sometimes!)

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 54
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/16/2015 1:03:28 PM   
Barb

Ola hey!

Here we are with our last update on US Navy combat ships arrivals:
CVs, CVEs, BBs, BCs, CAs and CLs!

Here is the errata:
CVs:
CV-4 Ranger - is not in game (served as training carrier, in the pacific too!)
CV-20 Bennington - should be Short Hull class
CV-21 Boxer - should be Long Hull class
CV-31 Bon Homme Richard - should be Short Hull Class

CVEs:
CVE-9 Bogue - missing
CVE-11 Card - missing
CVE-13 Core - missing
CVE-57 Coral Sea - was renamed Anzio on 15.9.1944 (way after arrival)
CVE-63 Midway - was renamed St.Lo on 10.10.1944 (way after arrival)
CVE-64 Tripoli - missing
CVE-99 Admirality Islands - in game as Admirality Island
CVE-112 Siboney - in game as Sibony
CVE-55 Casablanca - served as crew training ship
CVE-89 Takanis Bay - served as pilot training carrier
CVE-105 Commencement Bay - served as crew training ship

- most CVEs had very short shakedown, followed by a "ferry" trip or two, and then only getting their Air Groups and carrier training...
- I have stuck to the game decision to have them arrive about 1 month after commissioning
- most of the early carriers got their Air groups, most of the later ones served only as aircraft ferrys/replacement carriers

Battleships:
BB-35 Nevada served in Atlantic from July 1943 to 8.11.1944 (should have withdraval and return)
BB-57 South Dakota was repaired in New York, served in Atlantic from may 1943 to 21.8.1943 (should have withdrawal and return)

Cruisers:
CL-7 Raleigh - should depart about 22.6.1945
CL-12 Marblehead - should depart about 15.4.1942 (Departed Simonstown (Cape Town) for New York after being damaged near Java), and never returned to the Pacific
CA-136 Chicago II has its arrival date probably typo-ed a year earlier

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 55
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/16/2015 1:17:58 PM   
Barb

Now some general notes:

1. I have tried to get down to whatever available information about when the particular ship departed for combat assignment - including sailing with company with another ship, etc.
2. I always tried to get back to the place of origin (BoA - Base of Arrival) - so when ship departed e.g. Hampton Roads on 21st July 1942, I set "Optimum BoA" as East Coast and Optimal DoA as 21.7.1942
3. If not available, I had tried to calculate it backwards from Panama, San Diego, Bora Bora, Noumea, etc... (Distance table attached)
4. In some cases ship was departing Key West, FL, or New Orleans, spent time near Trinidad, or trained at the Atlantic side of Panama, Balboa is usually the BoA
5. Ships built on the West Coast has their BoA/DoA data based on their own data of finishing training and being assigned for combat duty
6. CVEs usually had only very short shakedown cruise, followed by ferry duty or two before post-shakedown repairs and air group training for combat. Thus their DoA is usually calculated as to be about 1 month after commissioning.
7. Ships usually spent 6 weeks - 4 months after commissioning in Shakedown/post-shakedown repairs/training/post-training repairs/availability duties before finally sailing to war. 8. Some ships (usually first of their class) served for a few months "training prospective crews for other ships of their class", thus their arrival is delayed somehow.
9. Assigned to Combat Duty, ships usually underwent another training period within their command before finally heading for combat.

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 56
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/16/2015 11:40:34 PM   
wdolson

quote:

Ola hey!

Here we are with our last update on US Navy combat ships arrivals:
CVs, CVEs, BBs, BCs, CAs and CLs!

Here is the errata:
CVs:
CV-4 Ranger - is not in game (served as training carrier, in the pacific too!)
CV-20 Bennington - should be Short Hull class
CV-21 Boxer - should be Long Hull class
CV-31 Bon Homme Richard - should be Short Hull Class

CVEs:
CVE-9 Bogue - missing
CVE-11 Card - missing
CVE-13 Core - missing
CVE-57 Coral Sea - was renamed Anzio on 15.9.1944 (way after arrival)
CVE-63 Midway - was renamed St.Lo on 10.10.1944 (way after arrival)
CVE-64 Tripoli - missing
CVE-99 Admirality Islands - in game as Admirality Island
CVE-112 Siboney - in game as Sibony
CVE-55 Casablanca - served as crew training ship
CVE-89 Takanis Bay - served as pilot training carrier
CVE-105 Commencement Bay - served as crew training ship

- most CVEs had very short shakedown, followed by a "ferry" trip or two, and then only getting their Air Groups and carrier training...
- I have stuck to the game decision to have them arrive about 1 month after commissioning
- most of the early carriers got their Air groups, most of the later ones served only as aircraft ferrys/replacement carriers

Battleships:
BB-35 Nevada served in Atlantic from July 1943 to 8.11.1944 (should have withdraval and return)
BB-57 South Dakota was repaired in New York, served in Atlantic from may 1943 to 21.8.1943 (should have withdrawal and return)

Cruisers:
CL-7 Raleigh - should depart about 22.6.1945
CL-12 Marblehead - should depart about 15.4.1942 (Departed Simonstown (Cape Town) for New York after being damaged near Java), and never returned to the Pacific
CA-136 Chicago II has its arrival date probably typo-ed a year earlier

Training ships are not included in the game. Players might be too tempted to use them operationally and it would tilt the balance even further. The Japanese had a number of training ships that aren't included too. Technically the Saratoga should be withdrawn to become a training ship. By 1945 she wasn't deemed fit for fleet service because of her elevator limitations and was put on training duty. The Lexington would have probably faced the same fate if she had survived.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 57
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/17/2015 4:05:52 PM   
m10bob

Years ago, certainly before WITP-AE was released, I made some contributions to the gaming database myself.

My dad in law, Al Brew was a Coast Guardsman serving on the USS Wakefield, part of a convoy taking troops to Singapore, (the last reinforcements prior to the falling of the city.
Japanese bombers managed a bomb hit on the aft deck while they were in harbor.
This was very close to the Pearl Harbor attack.
Later, the Wakefield transported the US 2nd Marine Division to Wellington NZ.
I thought this was an important ship, but it was NOT in the ship database of the original WITP!!!
(Thank goodness for the many great folks who put AE together!)

I was prompted to enter this data because one of our friends above suspects the USS Ranger might be included in a future scenario upgrade..In my opinion, this would not be good.

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/ships.html

Above is the website listing every ship which transported those troops to Singapore via Cape Horn, and while the Ranger is amongst them, it never went beyond Capetown.

The Ranger had been fitted out for the Atlantic for years with all portholes welded over, and it was not air conditioned.
It rolled hard in high seas, and was not even considered for Pacific duty when we had none active due to battle damage.

Please feel free to find a few other ships which are in this website, and active in the Pacific, but may not be in our ships' database..

< Message edited by m10bob -- 11/18/2015 2:44:44 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 58
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/17/2015 6:22:20 PM   
Barb

I just tried to get some data closer to the actual events. The rest is upon scenario dsigner decision what he will take out of it.
Sometieme it was not possible to get the correct dates for every single ship, so sometimes I just "guessed" based on other ships going the same process.
Of course Ranger was not used in combat, just for training, yet it was in the pacific at the time. If someone wants to use it offensively, go for it, but the ship should be very vulnerable..... I think I had a note column after the data with some additional info. Several CVEs also served as crew training ships for other carriers, yet they are included in the game.
Some ships were retired from the Pacific, some got back (South Dakota), some didnt (Marblehead). They are not forced to withdraw in the stock, but maybe some other ship could be delayed for the time instead.... It is up to the designer to make his decisions.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 59
RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? - 11/18/2015 1:34:13 PM   
m10bob

I really appreciate the research you guys are doing..Adding quite a bit to my personal database..
I have a fairly large military library...cross referencing to verify use in the arena of the game..

I knew a guy who served on the USS Bogue...

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Community Project: Improved Scenario 1? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI