Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 8:46:09 PM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: DRF99

Great news and thanks to both of you for making this happen.

My install works good except for screen size and, for some strange reason, the air combat/attack animations. I'll try out your wrapper when it's out and see if that fixes the issues.

I got similar results when running WITP within a VMWare virtual machine. I think the the problem is DirectX.

VMWare runs on a variety of hosts including Mac OS but you need a additional Windows OS for the VM (I used a copy of Win98 I had lying about). Much better to run on the native OS like you have.

Good work.

< Message edited by Reg -- 10/1/2015 9:47:50 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 31
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/1/2015 11:29:08 PM   
sfatula

I am playing PBEM games on a 27' iMac screen, windowed, but, most of the screen just fine. The animations do work, however I often skip them via esc. I think you will be pleased.

< Message edited by sfatula -- 10/2/2015 12:55:02 AM >

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 32
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/2/2015 7:31:36 AM   
oaltinyay

I found this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution#/media/File:Vector_Video_Standards8.svg

I tried this chert to try and find the best resolution fit on my 2 screens ( I use a retina 15inch and a HD monitor , as well as mini 2012 and HD TV as a screen ). After a few tries I settled on the resolutions in the 'blue' boxes. I intend to reproduce this on the website for further reference.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 33
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/2/2015 4:38:03 PM   
sfatula

But I am using 2048 by 1152 just fine, so, not using any "color" on that chart. I would hate to direct people to resources that may just add to confusion. This game has a lot of experimentation with command line switches. Even though we are running it on Mac, unfortunately, those switches are still the same and what works for you, may or may not work for me. The same threads that apply to Windows and slow speed, switches, etc. seem to apply here. We would need a huge variety of machine types to be able to say definitely if there are any patterns or any switches that always work, or, never work.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 34
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/2/2015 5:49:34 PM   
oaltinyay

2048 by 1152 brings a very small window on a mac retina 15 ... I think when the screen proportion doesnt match px py switch the game reverts to a very very basic ratio... And screen ratio does change with the screen resol. u select from the screen, add the second monitor option and then it's obvious that there'll be a need for possible settings.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 35
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/2/2015 6:20:39 PM   
sfatula

Yes, but on a 27" iMac, it's exactly what I want is all I am saying, and I don't have any issue with any basic ratio, it's just perfect. I would not want to try and tell people not to use that is all I am trying to say. Everyone has different needs and desired settings, different screen sizes, etc.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 36
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/5/2015 3:54:48 PM   
DRF99

I have WitP-AE running at 2560x1440 full screen and all is well except for sound (which I can wait for.)

I'd like to get tracker running. What Java JRE did you use? WineHQ lists a couple that sort of work.

I guess you have to put Tracker into a separate wrapper and have it reference the files in the WitP-AE Wrapper, or is there another way.

Thanks,
DRF

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 37
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/5/2015 3:57:34 PM   
sfatula

It will run in the same wrapper, the details will be posted soon. The new wrapper will have all the required foundation and be much simpler than trying to build your own.

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 38
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 10/6/2015 8:19:49 AM   
mrchuck

Steve F asked nicely so here it is...sorry, been away for a while.

I use PlayonLinux rather than wine directly.

Wine version is set to 1.4.1 since POL lets you run different versions if you have them and this is a version I know works. I tried an update and it broke.

Install these libs and packages:

devenum
quartz
wmp9 (media player)
wmpcodecs

That's it, then go ahead and install as per standard POL procedures. You must install these extras before installing the game, otherwise various bits just fail silently.

I've additionally set the following command line because I have a wide screen. This is only supported in AE, not Witp standard.

-f -px1920 -py1080

Which runs it full screen and wide. Very nice resolution.

See the following forum thread for all the ghastly details. This was with witp standard, no resolution controls back then but I found that AE worked with exactly the same recipe.

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19331&view=next

I have had very few issues with AE and marginal ones with the old version. Other than finding the time to play the darn thing!

Regards,

Charles

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 39
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/14/2015 1:06:34 PM   
Christopher budde

I'd really appreciate some instructions on how to get Tracker installed in Wine as well. I've got the game running just fine. This is great, thanks for all the work!

(in reply to mrchuck)
Post #: 40
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/18/2015 5:39:51 AM   
sfatula

The new instructions and wrapper are forthcoming once I come back from Ohio. I have WITP AE, Intel Monkey, and, WITP tracker all running just fine. Will provide link to website where the new instructions are. It is doubtful many instructions will work if you are building your own as they rely on fixed naming conventions, etc. to simplify things. It will make sense once you see it.

But, it's still not ready. Instructions are tricky sometimes. And, still testing and making some final nice capabilities. Even trying to get icon approval.

In a few weeks hopefully. Won't be back until December.

(in reply to Christopher budde)
Post #: 41
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/18/2015 10:25:34 PM   
Christopher budde

Thanks. I know how hard it is to find time for this game. I had to take two years off to run the seventh fleet.

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 42
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/18/2015 11:44:06 PM   
kaleun

Interested in this topic, although most of the dialogue sounds like Chinese.
I will be needing a new laptop soon and am not sure I want a Windows 10 machine, I got one for my wife to replace her old W7 and it sits unused while she uses her mac tablet for everything.
Might have to go get a mac

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 43
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/18/2015 11:55:19 PM   
jimh009

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

I will be needing a new laptop soon and am not sure I want a Windows 10 machine, I got one for my wife to replace her old W7 and it sits unused while she uses her mac tablet for everything.

I was in the same boat last year. I switched over to a Macbook Pro. I did install Parallels 10 (now Parallels 11), so I could run Windows programs (primarily the games from MatrixGames!).

After a bit of trial and error with the various switches, AE now runs superbly on my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch laptop while using Parallels. I still am using Windows 8.1 - I haven't done the upgrade yet to Windows 10 since everything right now "just works." I'm not in a huge rush to go out and break stuff.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 44
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/19/2015 5:17:59 AM   
sfatula

Parallels requires buying it, buying Windows, probably anti virus, managing windows, applying updates and their associated issues, lots of memory, disk space, messed with Time Machine, as you noted dealing with Windows versions if you ever decide to (wise to not upgrade), etc. Using wine, WITP is just another Mac app, you avoid all of that. And, it's actually faster from one user report. And uses far less resources, basically, close to none. Looking at my running WITP AE, I see about 500MB memory total. If you mess something up in the wine app, you mess up the app, not the entire machine (or virtual machine). One app doesn't have anything to do with another.

Now, I wouldn't say you should scrap parallels, I used to use it. You'd have to have every game running some other way to get rid of it, may not be worth it. But for a new user, going the parallels route is expensive. Virtualbox is at least free and works mostly just as well, but you still need everything else listed above. It's just very nice and fast to have just another app on the Mac that you simply double click on or put in the dock.

Sample below, had to squeeze it to get under 500KB, we'll see if the picture shows up. Just need to get off of vacation now!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 45
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/19/2015 8:10:13 AM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimh009

quote:

I was in the same boat last year. I switched over to a Macbook Pro. I did install Parallels 10 (now Parallels 11), so I could run Windows programs (primarily the games from MatrixGames!).

After a bit of trial and error with the various switches, AE now runs superbly on my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch laptop while using Parallels. I still am using Windows 8.1 - I haven't done the upgrade yet to Windows 10 since everything right now "just works." I'm not in a huge rush to go out and break stuff.

I use both , WineHq version way faster and the graphics look better too...

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 46
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 11/19/2015 1:24:33 PM   
jimh009

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimh009

quote:

I use both , WineHq version way faster and the graphics look better too...

The graphics on my system are superb while playing AE and War in Russia (no fuzziness and all graphics are razor sharp, as if made for the Retina display). And games are lightening fast. With AE, things are basically instantaneous now.

However, to achieve that did mean playing around with various switches. Initially, graphics were so-so and AE barely ran at all.

I never heard of WineHQ before, but I wish I would have - to save the HDD space and cost of buying Windows 8.1 and Parallels.

Still, my system setup works - and works very well. Runs windows better than my old Windows computer ever did.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 47
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 2/27/2016 9:12:43 PM   
Christopher budde

Any movement on instructions for Tracker, Intel Monkey, etc? Thanks!

(in reply to jimh009)
Post #: 48
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 4:19:54 PM   
DRF99

I managed to get Tracker (no maps) to run under WineSkin using Java 7. The only part of WitP-AE it requires is ART files so I may be able to post a wrapper without the files. I can now run WitP-AE in one wrapper and Tracker in another. Right now, I have to manually copy the save files from one to another.

I tried to run Combat Reporter but got an out of memory error. Haven't tried Intel Monkey yet.

Give me a few more days to test things out.

DRF

(in reply to Christopher budde)
Post #: 49
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 5:41:15 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok I have had a look back over this thread and still really interested, have also just looked at Crossover. I cannot make head or tail of it all though so really do need the people who know what they are talking about to do an idiot's guide.

I run a 27"Mac and really would like to avoid using Parallels (currently my way of running AE)

Roger

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 50
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 8:00:34 PM   
DRF99

If one or two people with Macs want to try out Tracker on Wineskin, PM me.

I've removed any WitP-AE files so once you uncompress the wrapper, you should just have to copy in your save files and your art files and it "should" work.

DRF

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 51
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 8:04:24 PM   
RogerJNeilson

I'd like to but I first need to get WITP AE to run in Wineskin..... and I have no idea how to do that.

Having looked I'm on El Capitan so its not supported for that anyway.

I have looked on WineHQ and you are listed there as being able to run it on Mac - but there's no instructions at all.

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 3/23/2016 8:39:17 PM >

An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 52
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 9:13:37 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Ok I have done some more work on Crossover and got the game working and seen how to incorporate command switches. Progress.

However if I run it full screen I get the right resolution but I cannot tab out of it to any other programme unless I close it - so that's no use. Have tried all the normal keyboard combos and no responses, it stays locked in the game.

If I run it in windowed mode (-w -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor) I get a window much smaller than my normal one in Parallels with the same command switch.

Any ideas? Would be great if I could run the window at about the same size as in Parallels.

Roger

Attachment (1)

Post #: 53
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/23/2016 9:38:22 PM   
Spikeosx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3
Having looked I'm on El Capitan so its not supported for that anyway.

I have been running wineskin WitP AE just fine under El Capitan on a MacBook Pro 15" Retina w/ external display (but have stopped playing a few months ago). When El Capitan came out, it did break wineskin and crossover, but they released a patch a week later that fixed it.

I am running wineskin 2.6.2 and engine WS9WineCX14.1.10. It runs in full screen and using exe flags "-f -px1920 -py1200 -deepcolor -skipvideo".
I did this years ago and so don't remember, but winetricks shows the following as been installed: d3dx10, d3dx9 thru d3dx9_43, d3dxof, input8, directplay, directx9, quartz, vcrun2005, act, act_jun2010, xinput, corefonts, & eufonts. I have set to use Mac Driver instead of X11 in screen options.
I also installed XQuartz 2.7.8 from www.xquartz.org.

I have Tracker installed in the same wrapper. Tracker runs, but the UI is kinda messed up that its not worth using and so I have been going without.

Post #: 54
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/24/2016 1:11:46 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Ok I have done some more work on Crossover and got the game working and seen how to incorporate command switches. Progress.

However if I run it full screen I get the right resolution but I cannot tab out of it to any other programme unless I close it - so that's no use. Have tried all the normal keyboard combos and no responses, it stays locked in the game.

If I run it in windowed mode (-w -px1920 -py1080 -deepColor) I get a window much smaller than my normal one in Parallels with the same command switch.

Any ideas? Would be great if I could run the window at about the same size as in Parallels.

Roger

Windows are supposed to be resizable by grabbing one of the corners and dragging it out or in to the size you want. Will the game window not stretch?

EDIT: Since you are talking about Mac/IPad here I am guessing the Retina Display is in play, which means a resolution much higher than the 1920X1080 pixel size, so that could be limiting the window size. I wonder if eliminating the resolution setting and then stretching the window would work? I don't have an Apple product to try it on.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 3/24/2016 1:15:19 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 55
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/24/2016 1:27:46 AM   
Spikeosx

On my Wineskin version, trying to change window size is problematic as well as it snapped back to the resolution defined in the switch (-px1920 -py1080). However, in full screen that I run, I hit Command-Tab just fine to run something else, and then command-tab back to the foreground to continue.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 56
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/24/2016 7:28:11 AM   
RogerJNeilson

1. Dragging the corners works to resize the window, but it does not resize the map, it just provides black space around it, and if you drag it wrongly it 'breaks' the game and you have to restart.

2. Aha Command-Tab does indeed work, my problem is I am so used to running it as a window with other stuff around it and consulting Tracker etc while I have the map on display that would destroy my thinking process.

I could live with the smaller screen window, but cannot get the vanilla install to then update. I can see how it is done, but the exe asks where the update is to be installed and that seems to throw the 'run' command (for installing it into the 'bottle') off.

So still stymied

Roger

< Message edited by Roger Neilson 3 -- 3/24/2016 7:30:26 AM >

(in reply to Spikeosx)
Post #: 57
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/24/2016 8:36:00 PM   
Spikeosx

quote:

I can see how it is done, but the exe asks where the update is to be installed and that seems to throw the 'run' command (for installing it into the 'bottle') off.

I am stymied as well. I have not tried crossover, but in my wineskin wrapper, and I am sure I am doing the same as yourself. Going from memory (I would do and give step by step if was same wine as yourself, but I don't use crossover) -
- opening the wrapper and navigating to the WitP folder (via show package contents)
- copy the updater executable there to that WitP folder
- Launch the wineskin app
- Click "Install Software"
- Click choose setup executable
- Within the open dialog, select the updater exe I copied to the folder above
- Updater executable runs, asks where WitP exe is (even thou in same folder), select it, enter SN and so forth and it updates
- Run Wineskin app again and change executable for wrapper back to WitP AE.exe

Post #: 58
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 3/24/2016 8:40:26 PM   
RogerJNeilson

Thanks Spikeosx, at present the inability to get a decent size window is making this a non starter for me. I have the luxury at present of being able to have a variety of windows open while playing the game and full screen is a no-no for me.

Roger

(in reply to Spikeosx)
Post #: 59
RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX - 9/20/2018 1:44:31 PM   
Vinco

Hello Steve (or should I ask oaltinyay ?)
If I follow properly, you both had a googlesite giving details to install WiTP:AE (and tracker) within Wine for use on Mac OS.
I have managed on my own until now but I still do get crashes after a while (typically 20-30 minutes) of normal play, also sound does not work at all.
So I tried to follow your instructions but the first link to a file (the wrapper I guess) on dropbox is inactive. Is that on purpose ? Is the wrapper you provided not compatible with
the latter versions of Mac OS (Sierra, High Sierra, etc.) ? Otherwise, would it be possible to access your wrapper on dropbox or somewhere else?
Thanks again for your interesting site.
Vinco

(in reply to sfatula)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WITPAE runs on Mac OSX Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI