Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Desert War 1940-3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Desert War 1940-3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/18/2015 7:33:44 PM   
baloo7777

Hello. Before my computer went down I had downloaded and played a round of this wonderful game. I just downloaded it (twice) again. But when I try to start it nothing happens. The web site says to use start.exe, but I do not see that file, and the batch file(s) that are there will not start it. Any ideas? I would pay for this and am not looking for a free ride, but don't see any mention of a price.

JRR

(in reply to kipanderson)
Post #: 61
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/18/2015 11:52:02 PM   
kipanderson

JRR,

I would help if I could. But all I did was extract to a folder and all sits in there including a “very small..” start.exe” which then does fire up the programme just fine.

I use Windows 7..

Now.. just checking but has your anti-virus grabbed the start.exe when you fired it up and put it in quarantine..?

With new executables.. such a new wargames my Bitdefender does just that often until I tell it to stop.. and restore the file.

All the best,
Kip.
PS am in UK must close for the night..

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 62
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/19/2015 3:13:20 AM   
baloo7777

Thanks for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.

JRR

Post #: 63
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/20/2015 4:13:56 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

s for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.

Hi baloo777, is your java installed?
Can you do "java -version" from a command prompt (i.e. write "cmd" in the window's start "search programs and files"?

If you double click on "startGameWithConsole.bat", it will try to start and show any error.
If you get any, can you email them to me please?

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 64
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/20/2015 4:16:27 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. Perhaps based on unit quality...

However it'll be stuck on the "future wish list" as it's the AI / GUI next!

Post #: 65
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 4/20/2015 11:02:20 PM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

s for the info. I cannot get it to work for me. I had an issue with my win 8 comp and it has been a problem getting some things to work right again. No doubt it's my computer. Too bad. It worked previously for me, before the crash.

Hi baloo777, is your java installed?
Can you do "java -version" from a command prompt (i.e. write "cmd" in the window's start "search programs and files"?

If you double click on "startGameWithConsole.bat", it will try to start and show any error.
If you get any, can you email them to me please?

Thanks. I will take some time later to look at what is happening and send any info to you (sorry, I will be out for several hours tonight). Thank you so much for your quick support. I played the game a little and thought it has major "fun" potential!

JRR

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 66
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 5/10/2015 9:31:07 AM   
kipanderson

Hi,

Great to see the new version up. Follow with huge interest, this is going to develop into an incredible game system.

BTW.. am unable to post over on the Old Wargamer forum.. even when happily logged in. The dialogue box will not accept any input from me.. cannot get the window to accept anything I type or text I attempt to copy in. Have no problems anywhere else. Windows 7 64. Internet Explorer.

All the best,
Kip.

(in reply to baloo7777)
Post #: 67
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 5/10/2015 6:44:12 PM   
Tejszd

quote:

quote:

For me a big attraction of operational games is the feeling of “running knee deep in mud...”. By which I mean that you cannot just throw around an infantry battalion the way you can shout orders at an infantry squad. You I have to try and think ahead. Orders delay also gives a realistic bonus to player who surprises his enemy. Because his enemy cannot just “perfectly..” adjust everything immediately.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. Perhaps based on unit quality...

However it'll be stuck on the "future wish list" as it's the AI / GUI next!

Have to agree on the priority order but I like the idea of delayed reaction to orders based on the leader/quality of the unit. The delay should also probably be related to the country based on the form of communication; example in 1940 German planes/tanks all had radios allowing them to work together which has an immediate impact in battle but also in how quickly they could react to new orders....

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 68
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 5/11/2015 6:06:12 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

Hi,

Great to see the new version up. Follow with huge interest, this is going to develop into an incredible game system.

BTW.. am unable to post over on the Old Wargamer forum.. even when happily logged in.

Cheers. There's a new version up again that allows Air Recon missions to be ordered during the setup phase. Lots of little steps on the road to getting it finished.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd
Have to agree on the priority order but I like the idea of delayed reaction to orders based on the leader/quality of the unit. The delay should also probably be related to the country based on the form of communication; example in 1940 German planes/tanks all had radios allowing them to work together which has an immediate impact in battle but also in how quickly they could react to new orders....

Yes, interesting idea. Might also delay (or even cancel) actions due to low Readiness You can order an attack but it might not happen if the troops are too tired.
Anyway next is the "wait" order and adding an abstracted Long Range Desert Group so it'll be a while before I even think about that.

Post #: 69
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 6/26/2015 6:21:18 PM   
governato

Just a quick note that I had the opportunity to test play one of the scenario with one of the developers and I have found the game really fun and rewarding to play.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 70
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 9/19/2015 12:21:12 PM   
Rasputitsa

Found the need the ensure that Java is fully updated, but otherwise the game works well.

Thank you for the continued updates and for adding another good game into the WEGO wargaming world, it is such a realistic and interesting way to play and such a relief from the un-manageable monsters around right now.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 9/19/2015 1:22:34 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 71
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 9/19/2015 10:03:25 PM   
Deathtreader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

Found the need the ensure that Java is fully updated, but otherwise the game works well.

Thank you for the continued updates and for adding another good game into the WEGO wargaming world, it is such a realistic and interesting way to play and such a relief from the un-manageable monsters around right now.

+ 1

Very well done!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 72
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 9/23/2015 9:55:17 PM   
Saint Ruth

Thanks!

By the way, there's a new Pacific War scenario / Mod here:
http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/peleliu.html

Still working on the AI so it's a human-human scenario.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 73
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 9/25/2015 5:29:02 PM   
Rasputitsa

Small issue, but I have reversed the mine icons, into red icon for active (dangerous) and black icons for breached minefield. Easy to do, nice to be able to have access.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Post #: 74
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 9/27/2015 6:48:40 PM   
Saint Ruth

Good idea! Will switch those minefields images around.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 75
Desert War Priorities - 10/17/2015 4:54:46 PM   
rhinobones

Ruth

You are creating exciting times in the world of WEGO war gaming. Thank you for your efforts.

I've read thru most of the postings and one thing I haven't seen is a list of your priorities. Would appreciate seeing your short list of features and functionality that you find most important and some words on where you ultimately want Desert War to go.

My personal wish list includes rivers, bridges, air drops, amphibious capability and functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment.

Best Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 76
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/18/2015 12:18:42 PM   
Saint Ruth

Hi RhinoBones,

Thanks for your interest!

At the moment, the priority is:
1) AI (scripted - ongoing)
2) Update GUI
3) Add more options to scenario editor

The new features will have to wait until that's done, but things on the to do list are the likes of:
- Night turns
- Weather
- LAN play
- unit breakdown/build up (i.e. break down a Battalion unit into companies)

By the way, rivers are already in the game (though not used in any of the scenarios), but I'll write down those suggestions and put them on the list.

As for "functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment", do you mean scenarios randomly setting objectives on the map? And increasing / decreasing unit values at scenario start?

/Brian

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 77
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/19/2015 11:42:52 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

As for "functionality for introducing variability in troop and objective deployment", do you mean scenarios randomly setting objectives on the map? And increasing / decreasing unit values at scenario start?

Like your road map, you've obviously planned for a long campaign.

I don't recall seeing rivers in the terrain folder, but since you already have them, that's another step taken.

My concept of variability has to do with enhancing game play by building scenarios where forces and objectives have sufficient built -in options that the possibility of playing the same game twice is virtually eliminated. Each side might be programmed with 30 divisions and 20 objectives but in any one game only six divisions and three objectives might appear. Objectives would not be point based but instead would impact reinforcements, supply, manufacturing or logistics depending on their retention, capture or destruction. Hadn't thought of increasing/decreasing unit values or capabilities as you mentioned, but I like it.

The point here is to build scenarios which present the players with military problems which have never before been encountered, the solution of which decides the victor. I can imagine a lot of games ending in a mutually agreed upon cease fire.

I love historical scenarios and admire the people who invest so much time and effort into building them, but even with the best historical scenarios one gets tired of the same forces, starting in the same places, going after the same old objectives, awarded points and doing this all in the same number of turns. Advanced Tactics has a feature for creating random scenarios which might provide ideas for future consideration.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 78
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/21/2015 7:42:27 PM   
governato

The functionality I would really like to see added is the possibility to add 'events' to the editor, so that the effect of changing weather and supply, capturing objectives, etc can be included by altering the general scenario parameters at any given turn. (TOAW is a good example of that)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 79
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/21/2015 11:55:12 PM   
rhinobones

quote:

The functionality I would really like to see added is the possibility to add 'events' to the editor, so that the effect of changing weather and supply, capturing objectives, etc can be included by altering the general scenario parameters at any given turn. (TOAW is a good example of that)

You are correct, TOAW is the prime example. You put it in better words than I did.

After seeing the work Ruth is doing, I suspect that should he decide to build an event editing into his design it will far exceed the capability of the archaic TOAW event editor.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 80
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/22/2015 4:08:59 PM   
Saint Ruth

Those are great ideas.

- Having some variability would extend the replay value of scenarios, though of course, it could result in unbalanced scenarios. I really like the quick battles in Combat Missions so I suppose the best would be for the user to be able to choose how to vary the scenario somewhat.

- Events. Yes, they'd really add a historical flavour to a scenario too.

I'll write both of them down, but won't be anything done on them until the 1, 2, 3 above is finished!

Thanks,
Brian

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 81
RE: Desert War Priorities - 10/31/2015 8:51:29 PM   
rhinobones

Ruth

Request that you provide Army and Corps headquarter units with the proper XXX and XXXX designators same as you provide with battalions thru divisions with NATO style unit designators. Having these high level headquarters identified with company designators just doesn't give the game a good feel.

Regards

< Message edited by rhinobones -- 10/31/2015 9:52:31 PM >

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 82
RE: Desert War Priorities - 11/3/2015 1:36:28 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Ruth

Request that you provide Army and Corps headquarter units with the proper XXX and XXXX designators same as you provide with battalions thru divisions with NATO style unit designators. Having these high level headquarters identified with company designators just doesn't give the game a good feel.

Regards

Ah, cheers. That's missing all right. Will update!

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 83
Aircraft Interdiction - 11/6/2015 11:20:16 PM   
rhinobones

Ruth

There's a posting on the Wargamer that is very interesting. Kipanderson posted a response about air attacks which reads:

" Regarding the question of direct air support, my view is that dispersion was a key factor to minimize losses, and the desert was pretty unique in that nobody was bound to roads when on an active campaign (supply traffic on the Via Balboa is another story). Against a properly dispersed column, even heavy and constant air attack had little effect. We are still, slowly, going through the numbers, matching individual attacks with war diary information about losses, on both sides. The bottom line thus far appears to be that with all the sound and fury, actual damage to frontline units was very little, disorganization impact was low. The real money was in interdiction of supply traffic."

Aircraft attacks having minimal effect against dispersed units in open desert sounds reasonable. Thinking, however, that air attacks against units in hilly/rough/mountainous terrain should probably have a bit more effect since units would be more road bound. This would be especially true if the unit was in travel mode when attacked.

Also, visited your Desert War homepage today and discovered that I am two revisions behind!! Is there a way to received alerts when the home page is updated?

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 84
RE: Aircraft Interdiction - 11/7/2015 6:45:35 PM   
Saint Ruth

Hi RhinoBones,

Yep,saw that. Though with air attacks in hilly / rough etc, there's more cover so it's going to be less effective (except interdiction which I suppose would be more effective). Mmm, the problem (as ever!) is making it realistic but also keeping the rules relatively simple. Will look at it more!

There's a new version out again (with a few bug fixes). It has the XXXX and XXX unit sizes oyu suggested.

Good idea about the alerts. But in the meantime if you subscribe to the wargamer thread, I can post there when there's a new version!

Thanks!
Brian

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 85
RE: Aircraft Interdiction - 11/7/2015 9:43:42 PM   
AbwehrX

UUUghh...I like the game but I really hate javascript.

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 86
RE: Aircraft Interdiction - 11/7/2015 10:31:10 PM   
sPzAbt653

Just a thought - ordnance landing in the sand has less impact than ordnance landing in rough terrain. The sand absorbs the blast and shrapnel, while rough terrain can cause additional casualties due to tree splinters and rock fragments.

Troops would also disperse in rough terrain. Its the density of men and material in the hex that would increase the effectiveness of air strikes. Nowhere to run, no place to hide !

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 87
RE: Aircraft Interdiction - 11/14/2015 12:30:16 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

There's a new version out again (with a few bug fixes). It has the XXXX and XXX unit sizes oyu suggested.

I like it . . . for me at least this adds a good bit of realism. Made the HQ changes to all of the scenarios except Beda Fomm and Peleliu. For some reason Beda Fomm will not load into the editor and the changes to Peleliu are beyond my comprehension. As is, I'm enjoying what I have.

Oh, and look, revision 1.5.13 just popped up! Love it!!

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 88
RE: Aircraft Interdiction - 11/16/2015 9:29:19 PM   
Saint Ruth

You can download the Peleliu with all the mod changes done from here:
http://members.upc.ie/jeanette.kelly/peleliu.html

The Beda Fomm scenario is very large, so if you don't have a lot of RAM it might not work.
There's a new version now but there's just editor changes to allow easier unit setup.

Hi AbwehrX, it's java, not javascript, though I can understand why people don't want to install java on their machines. I can of course make it an exe but then it'd only work for windows and at the moment should run on anything with java installed

< Message edited by Saint Ruth -- 11/16/2015 10:29:59 PM >

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 89
RE: Desert War 1940-3 - 11/26/2015 2:09:18 PM   
barkhorn45

I like to copy manual pdf's to my tablet but can't find manual in the directory anywhere,it has to be somewhere?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Desert War 1940-3 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI