Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 3:04:37 PM   
rjh1971

I keep reading complains about the game having only one scenario, we'll I have said before playing as Russian or German is a world apart on how you have to focus your strategy. Besides are you guys all retired or teenagers? I bet most of us are in our forties or fifties , have a real life, family duties, work... And sadly little time to spare, so why do you want more scenarios you won't have time to play. If you like DC series and ATG you won't regret buying this one, the price you're going to pay for the hours of playing is not too much imho.
Imo the game is a gem and has many possibilities of replay.
VR will release a full scenario editor (valid to also make scenarios from scratch) in a few weeks, so modders out there will probably go crazy and offer the rest of us new scenarios.
Well my recommendation is grab the game, besides it will surely be released in Steam and we will all get a free copy in it.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 31
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 3:12:24 PM   
dox44

rjh1971 thanks!

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 32
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 3:32:35 PM   
DerGrenadier

Dont get me wrong. Iam really interested in this game as there is alot of positive feedback. I loved the first DC and had great fun with it. In the second DC I couldnt get past the tutorials and I dont know why but something felt “wrong“. Then I got Advanced Tactics in a sale and I was utterly disappointed. Fortunately money is no issue for me but somehow Iam not willing to spent 50,- to see if I like it. A demo would be much appreciated.

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 33
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 3:46:26 PM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

You already completed campaigns?
Do this means the game seems not to be long time fun?

He is one of the beta testers

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 34
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 3:50:14 PM   
Tac2i

Advanced Tactics is my absolute favorite wargame. It has the best random game creation feature of any game I know. Sorry to hear you did not like it. If your interest in wargames is purely historical simulations, then it would not be your cup of tea exactly. I expect that one day it will be brought up to DC standards. It was released in Spring 2011 but Vic has constantly improved it over the years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerGrenadier
Then I got Advanced Tactics in a sale and I was utterly disappointed

< Message edited by Webizen -- 11/26/2015 4:50:29 PM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to DerGrenadier)
Post #: 35
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 4:10:40 PM   
DerGrenadier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

Advanced Tactics is my absolute favorite wargame. It has the best random game creation feature of any game I know. Sorry to hear you did not like it. If your interest in wargames is purely historical simulations, then it would not be your cup of tea exactly. I expect that one day it will be brought up to DC standards. It was released in Spring 2011 but Vic has constantly improved it over the years.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerGrenadier
Then I got Advanced Tactics in a sale and I was utterly disappointed

Thx for your answer Webizen. My kind of games is in the range of CommandOps2, Combat Mission or Command Modern Air Naval Operations. So Iam not sure if this turn based game fits my taste. On the other hand it has some nice features that Iam really interested in. And so I have to repeat myself, a Demo would be fantastic.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 36
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 7:14:39 PM   
Templer_12

Just watched Twitch live "Barbarossa Soviet Stream! (Nov 26th 20:00 CET / 19:00 UTC / 2:00 PM EST)".
Very interesting. I'm impressed.

The game seems really to be tuned to higher gaming.
Even the book! Has anyone ever seen this crazy pile of paper? It's a folio with a hardcover!
Something like this has not even given to the best times of the PC gaming in the 90'.

(in reply to DerGrenadier)
Post #: 37
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 7:30:57 PM   
zakblood

well everyone did say it was different

glad you enjoyed it

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 38
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/26/2015 7:34:00 PM   
Templer_12

Oh yes, I enjoyed the Twitch show.
Surtur made a great presentation, even the fact I'm not interessted in the Russian side.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 39
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 12:43:41 AM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Templer

You already completed campaigns?
Do this means the game seems not to be long time fun?

I was a playtester. Been playing the game since Feb.

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 40
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 12:54:15 AM   
Rainsong94

If playing as the Soviets, does the German AI have to make decisions and contend with all the consequences, such as negative relations among their commanders? Or are they playing with "Decisions off"? Are the RPG decisions solely for the immersion for the human player? What about the "what-if?" decisions. Do they utilize those?

< Message edited by FightinJoe94 -- 11/27/2015 2:07:26 AM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 41
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 1:09:20 AM   
atheory

I really want to try this game, but I fear it will be a paid DLC dump site and i'm not sure about the price point. I will wait and see for a bit, maybe wait a year and see what's what. I'm really intrigued at the aspect of a strong AI.

So, not writing it off. I got my eye on you! :)

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 42
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 6:41:27 AM   
stonestriker

@GrauWolf80

Look at his two previous titles. The last patch for DC1 came out AFTER the release of DC2, which indicates that support continues a long time for these game, neither of which have had DLC. And in around 2 weeks the editor will be released, which would probably not be released if he sought to make tons of DLC for the game.

DC3 Bug Spotters Gold Logie award

(in reply to atheory)
Post #: 43
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 5:18:18 PM   
gunnergoz

Just started playing this with all detail/history options on and even as Russian I can see this game is not like any other wargame I've ever played - and I've been playing them since the late 1980's on PC's and Macs. I too was surprised that it only goes into early '42 but now that I'm into the game I can see the possible variations available and the way that the game makes you think in terms that are actually similar to real operational commanders, so the limitations make sense because '42 was different from '41 on the East front. It is a masterpiece of thinking and executing an idea that is out of the box. It may not appeal to players who enjoy simplified/abstracted straight up combat games like PG or its clones, nor does it have the economic and logistic complexity of a Gary Grigsby game either. Instead it focuses on a specific strategic situation and on the leaders and decisions that made history in a narrow time frame.
Now I can only add that if this engine and concept is applied to other theaters and timeframes of WW2, I'll be first in line to buy them. Kudos to the designers.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to stonestriker)
Post #: 44
RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - 11/27/2015 6:34:52 PM   
baloo7777

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

There are so many options and varieties of play in this game that to me there is an unlimited horizon of replayability for the one scenario.

Just one example: 'posture' is a key concept in the game, whether your individual armies are in blitzkrieg, sustained offensive, or defensive posture. Each posture has impact on combat capabilities, supply and fuel usage, APs (action points), fatigue. I have played the campaign through without ever changing off blitzkrieg posture - my Panzer armies were sucking air, my infantry were flopping on the ground, by mid October. Then I have tried the campaign with an arbitrary timetable for when I'd switch over to sustained offensive, and then I have tried a campaign with using the reports carefully, on combat losses, fuel usage, fatigue, to determine when to change posture. Just altering this one single aspect of play, and I have played much different campaigns.

There are so many factors like 'posture' in this game that give it so much replayability.

Hello gwgardner! I played Time of Fury against you several years ago and was impressed with your abilities, and your willingness to help a newbie (namely me).
All that being said...I value your input on this game...and I think it has helped convince me to make the purchase...

JRR

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI