Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First Impressions - 11/30/2015 5:04:35 PM   
Krupinski

Well i'm quite impressed with the game! I spend a few hours with it and realized very fast it's innovations! Well done, sirs!

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 61
RE: First Impressions - 12/1/2015 4:02:03 AM   
RCHarmon

I got it earlier than I was intending. So far I like it. I am familiar with the Dc series and Vic does have what I call a genius for the workings of a war game.

I am missing corps HQs though. There has to be a line separating detail from abstraction. All the same, so far I really do miss them.

I think we need pontoon bridge cards. Russia is just too big of an expanse. Of course then, we would need roads. Again, abstraction and detail.

This game is really not in competition with WITE, but I have said and will continue to say that WITE is a very flawed game. Forget WITE and its many many many problems, but to each his own.

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 62
RE: First Impressions - 12/1/2015 5:36:15 AM   
mekjak

The amount of abstraction in DCB is great. What matters is the practical effect. What purpose would corps HQs serve other than to add a whole bunch of clutter and tedious micromanagement? At this scale each HQ would only be responsible for a couple of units. That's a lot of extra counters. What enhancements would corps HQs bring to the game that would possibly justify all the extra work for developer and player?

As for pontoon bridges, it's assumed that they are being used when your divisions cross rivers so there's no need for a card.

I do agree about WitE. For all its focus on the smallest details imaginable, a ton of its design as a game is the devs trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. The end result is that it's a chore to play and completely ahistorical to boot. Who cares if the OOB perfectly matches history if the gameplay doesn't at all? Ironically a streamlined game such as DCB is both a much better game and a much better simulation of the historical forces at play.

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 63
RE: First Impressions - 12/1/2015 5:56:06 AM   
Meteor2

I agree 100% with mekjak.

The only thing I am missing, is the air component. Or lets say the impression, that the air component is really there.
The current solution to work with cards for decisions regarding the Luftwaffe is working, but also abstract.
If only for the imagination I would like to see reports for Luftwaffe / Red air force regarding strength / losses / situation.
That would give the impression, that the planes are really there.

(in reply to mekjak)
Post #: 64
RE: First Impressions - 12/1/2015 7:57:58 PM   
dox44

i got the game yesterday. reading manual and playing along. watched the tutorials. very nice so far.

thanks,

(in reply to Meteor2)
Post #: 65
RE: First Impressions - 4/29/2016 9:35:16 PM   
Templer_12

I bring this up in the hope to read more first impressions.

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 66
RE: First Impressions - 4/30/2016 2:17:32 PM   
mariovalleemtl

First Impression, Wow !

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> RE: First Impressions Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI