Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

about the map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> about the map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
about the map - 12/1/2015 7:17:54 PM   
gwgardner

fanboy here again, but seriously, why all the complaints about the map? Here's a screenshot. I can't see anything wrong with it. All the terrain features are realistically drawn, there's no confusion about terrain types.

So those of you who don't like the map, tell us why? I'm NOT trying to argue, just wondering how you'ld make the map better.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: about the map - 12/1/2015 7:25:14 PM   
Templer_12

I'm on your side.
And one should wait what the modders will do magic with de map.

< Message edited by Templer -- 12/1/2015 8:35:38 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: about the map - 12/1/2015 7:29:30 PM   
warspite1

I think at very worst, this map is more than functional, and I think its actually much more than that.

The map does not detract from the units, the map is not difficult to read, its not a garish mess and its not too busy.

Could it be better? Yes of course, but I am more than happy with it

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 3
RE: about the map - 12/1/2015 9:31:07 PM   
lancer

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind with the map is that the underlying engine is designed to accommodate procedurally generated maps as well. It's extremely flexible and powerful.

The downside of this that the map is required to be put together hex by hex.

The Jitson mod map, as well as the Flashpoint one, are lovely maps but they greatly benefit from being handcrafted (from what I can see). There is an heck of lot you can do with maps once you start hand painting them and tweaking things here and there so they are just how you want them.

We don't have that option available but we think the map is clean, clear, uncluttered and very functional.

You might not want to take it out on a date but it would make an excellent wife.

Cheers,
Cameron

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: about the map - 12/1/2015 10:02:22 PM   
demyansk

I have read all the comments on this game and all the others. I wake up, turn on my kindle, head over to Matrix forums and start reading. I do the same thing later on in the day as well - no life for me.

I bought this game on the second day and spent more time reviewing the game than playing it. Nevertheless, this is a good game made by the private sector. The cost of a quality product, in this instance is worth it. I think the developers did a fine job with the game. The great thing about the games on Matrix, is the timely response to customer questions and complaints. I always compare the cost of a game compared to some of the things we (me) waste my money on.

$ 145.00 monthly bill for direct tv? It's not a waste but you know what I mean, tickets to a playoff game? Two-three hours of fun but meanwhile, could have bought the entire Matrix collection.

I enjoy the games, look for sales and I am glad that some companies produce quality instead of some of the garbage I see on Steam. Yes, I like Steam but the customer service is the worst in the business. If I treated my customers like this = bad reputation.

I hope you continue to improve the games, make a profit, grow, and listen to your consumers. I do tell others about your games when playing Battlefield 4 or using Teamspeak.

Okay, enough difficult writing using a tablet. Oh, I like the map, it's fine

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 5
RE: about the map - 12/1/2015 10:14:39 PM   
Tac2i

Gotta love this designer's sense of humor!

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

You might not want to take it (the map) out on a date but it (the map) would make an excellent wife.

Cheers,
Cameron

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 6
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 12:40:20 AM   
budd

between ATG and DC i'm just ready for a different look. Of course once i start playing i don't even think about, it does the job. Some kind modder will get to it sooner or later i imagine.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 7
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 3:13:01 AM   
governato

quote:

ORIGINAL: lancer

Hi,

One thing to keep in mind with the map is that the underlying engine is designed to accommodate procedurally generated maps as well. It's extremely flexible and powerful.

The downside of this that the map is required to be put together hex by hex.

The Jitson mod map, as well as the Flashpoint one, are lovely maps but they greatly benefit from being handcrafted (from what I can see). There is an heck of lot you can do with maps once you start hand painting them and tweaking things here and there so they are just how you want them.

We don't have that option available but we think the map is clean, clear, uncluttered and very functional.

You might not want to take it out on a date but it would make an excellent wife.

Cheers,
Cameron

I do not mind the current map, but the ability to add on top an extra 'hand painted' graphic layer would allow mods ala WITE and leave the underlying structure intact. If coding it is not a big issue (is it?) then I see no downside. Obviously the other solution, modded tiles, 'd add flexibility for future expansions/user developed scenarios that happen on different geographical regions and not just Russia.

And in your analogy...nothing like dressing up a bit every now and then to keep the home fires burning ;).

< Message edited by governato -- 12/2/2015 4:18:18 AM >

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 8
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 5:09:58 AM   
gabeeg

The map is functional, no complaints there. For me it is purely an aesthetic issue. For me the color and terrain are just flat and uninspiring. Of course that is just personal opinion and though I do not think that it detracts from game play at all...a sexier map would add to my viewing pleasure and immersion. I am positive that some modder will take a whack at it soon enough.

(in reply to governato)
Post #: 9
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 10:41:05 AM   
BodyBag33

When DC: BfWtP was released in 2010, the map and counters was a major graphical upgrade compared to the existing standard of turn-based counter wargames. Most maps (and counters) was either ugly, primitive, or too cartoony for a wargame.
You always heard the same tired phrase "graphics don't matter" from all the old farts, who was proudly playing some bud ugly game with colours that made your eyes bleed...

But here was a map and counters that was both functional and nice to look at, and the graphics was a major factor in my buying-decision. If you spend X amount of hours looking at a map and counters, it has to be good-looking to be worth my time.

Sadly, there has been no graphical update to DC: CB from 2012 or now Barbarossa, and thats why people thinks the game looks dull now.

I tend to agree, but thankfully there are some great map-mods that has made the 2 first DC games better to look at.
Hopefully it's just a matter of time before a talented modder goes to work on Barbarossa too...
Cheers,

< Message edited by BodyBag33 -- 12/2/2015 1:22:39 PM >

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 10
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 12:09:36 PM   
AstroCat

Yeah just my quick opinion here as well, functionally the map seems really good but it could use an aesthetics pass, as well the Unit pictures I think could use the same kind of graphical upgrade. I know this is all secondary to the core game but it would just make the game even more fun to play.

(in reply to BodyBag33)
Post #: 11
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 1:59:10 PM   
jnpoint

quote:

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

The map is functional, no complaints there. For me it is purely an aesthetic issue. For me the color and terrain are just flat and uninspiring. Of course that is just personal opinion and though I do not think that it detracts from game play at all...a sexier map would add to my viewing pleasure and immersion. I am positive that some modder will take a whack at it soon enough.

What he said :) That's all.

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 12
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 2:14:26 PM   
barkhorn45

Would it be possible to use the photographs for the unit pictures from the
mod for dc-2?

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 13
RE: about the map - 12/2/2015 3:01:46 PM   
wodin

I have no issues with it. Yes there are better maps out there but it does the job and like others have said I have other things to think about when playing than admiring the map. I would like the Russian counters light brown though and red for Guards units:) Again though no biggy.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> about the map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI