Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:07:20 PM   
smartspick

I have most of AGEOD's games and it seems the turn times in this game are closest to Vain Glory of Nations than any other game. In other words its too damn long it is frustrating. 3-4 minute turns and it seems to get a bit longer by the turn. Civil War II goes by like lightning compared to this. Developers... Any change patches will significantly increase the turn speed? I cannot in good faith recommend this game to anyone that isn't prepared to wait very long turn times.
Post #: 1
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:18:01 PM   
zakblood

i hazzard a guess it depends on pc spec tbh regarding turn time, as from what iv'e seen it was pretty quick.

please post your spec, just checked Ageod's forum, and as of yet, only 3 posted with comments regarding game turn speed so far, so it may be either spec or hardware related, but i'm sure you will get a reply or comment from Pocus soon.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/4/2015 8:24:46 PM >

(in reply to smartspick)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:40:40 PM   
smartspick

I venture to say I have a better computer than most people that are playing this game. I hope its not that I have an AMD 8350 overclocked processor with 8 cores.

GPU: GEFORCE GTX 980
CPU: AMD FX(TM)-8350 EIGHT CORE
MEMORY: 16.00 GB RAM
OS; WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL 64 BIT

you think it may have to do with me not installing the direct-x version that came iwth the game?

This game's turns are anything but quick. I really wanted to enjoy this.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:44:50 PM   
zakblood

you have nothing to loose to try it tbh

the fact is, every game now days uses something different, i use windows 10, but still play dos games as well, so have more than most in my systems

it's always advisable to load the stuff that comes with each game, as no matter what you have already on the system, it may not be the correct version for the game in question, i've been asked many time why do i need a 32bit version installed on a 64bit o/s, well just because you have a 64bit o/s, the game runs in 32bit, so needs the 32bit files to work as well

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/4/2015 8:46:55 PM >

(in reply to smartspick)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:45:38 PM   
smartspick

How can I download that direct x again? I cant find it

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:49:08 PM   
zakblood

i don't own the game in question but there normally in a folder called redist

(in reply to smartspick)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:51:54 PM   
zakblood

or download all version from M/S

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113

any from the link above, i'd hazzard a guess at 9.0c for the game in question, good luck and let us know how you get on, also update your video drivers as well just in case, or at least check to see if any newer ones are out, it all helps

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/4/2015 8:54:10 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 7:58:32 PM   
smartspick

I'm giving up on this engine man. Its over. Last money I throw at Athena.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/4/2015 9:10:09 PM   
Emx77

I'm afraid main reason is not direct X or anything wrong with computer. It seems WoN has a lot of units and provinces (4.000 by word of developers) and that requires considerable computing time. For example, scenarios in Ageod's Thirty Years War, WIA or AJE are not unit heavy and turn processing is very fast. PoN, TEAW and WoN are on other side of spectrum.

(in reply to smartspick)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/5/2015 3:46:13 AM   
Gilmer

Empire Total War is the same for me. Takes forever for a turn to complete.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/5/2015 7:00:17 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emir Agic

I'm afraid main reason is not direct X or anything wrong with computer. It seems WoN has a lot of units and provinces (4.000 by word of developers) and that requires considerable computing time. For example, scenarios in Ageod's Thirty Years War, WIA or AJE are not unit heavy and turn processing is very fast. PoN, TEAW and WoN are on other side of spectrum.

Also assuming you are playing vs the AI, there are six other major powers and a number of middling powers that need to generate their and process their orders.

(in reply to Emx77)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/5/2015 3:18:16 PM   
altipueri

In a game where you spend 20 or 30 minutes thinking what to do, waiting 3 or 4 minutes to process turns gives you time to go and pour another glass of port or brandy. These AGEOD games are to be savored, not rushed.

Here's how the master himself, Napoleon played the game: from Chapter 6 of Jomini's "The Art Of War":

"The emperor was his own chief staff officer. Provided with a pair of dividers opened to a distance by the scale of from seventeen to twenty miles (which made from twenty-two to twenty-five miles, taking into account the windings of the roads,) bending over and at sometimes stretched at full length upon his map, where the positions of his corps and the supposed positions of the enemy were marked by pins of different colors, he was able to give orders for extensive movements with a certainty and precision which were astonishing."

Alternatively, try Campaigns on the Danube, another Matrix Napoleonic game which has just received a new patch.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 12
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/5/2015 3:54:35 PM   
gwgardner

Have to agree with altipueri.

This is a massive game. Massive map. Massive number of units. Massive AI choices. Four minutes for turn processing, which is about what I'm seeing too, is nothing.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 13
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/5/2015 7:32:02 PM   
smartspick

you guys are right, i have to be more patient. Damn Capitalist USA have made me always lose my patience.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 14
RE: Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? - 12/6/2015 6:37:42 AM   
emeg

Many people have little patience today, not giving extreme long and complicated calculations the time to work out. I have played correspondence chess games before internet chess became known. Guess how much time was needed before reaching the next game turn, it took al least two day's ;)

< Message edited by emeg -- 12/6/2015 7:39:51 AM >

Greetings, emeg.

(in reply to smartspick)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> Is it just me or are turn times exceedingly long? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI