Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any early impressions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> Any early impressions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:12:59 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Not in position to purchase until later tonight, but was hoping to hear some impressions before I do. I know it's a deep game so probably hard to get into extreme details, but would take any feedback learned so far.

Post #: 1
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:17:58 PM   
typhoon

Grim sorry can't help you being in a similar boat but strikes me you are similar to me subject matter is important here you I guess also own previous Ageod titles so my guess is your trigger buying finger will be either a little ahead or a little behind my own.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 2
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:25:50 PM   
Grim.Reaper

My purchase finger is close:). Just like to hear some comments of people playing.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 3
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:26:09 PM   
zakblood

just watched the twitch feed, try and watch it tomorrow when posted, looks really good, epic sized map, great use of colour with plenty of units on offer, the only thing for me is time with the biggest campaign, seem massive in scale, had what looked like half the world in it, so really epic in scale, so a big big game, looks fun though if you like or love the time period.

while your waiting have you watched all the video's posted?

Top: Wars of Napoleon reveals new Tutorial Videos!

Top: Video tutorial / play-through is live

then live twitch feed will be posted tomorrow on Utube as normal

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/3/2015 9:27:58 PM >

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 4
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:30:41 PM   
typhoon

Yes Zakblood have done that your use of the word epic and big just adds to the tease factor stop it I promised I would cook dinner first before even considering using the purchase finger. The slow cooker has a stew simmering away so got that at least under control.

< Message edited by typhoon -- 12/3/2015 9:32:19 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:35:37 PM   
zakblood

stew? it's bed time here

or are you doing tomorrows dinner / tea it's half 9pm

< Message edited by zakblood -- 12/3/2015 9:35:53 PM >

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 6
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:37:12 PM   
loki100

This is partly from the Beta but may help.

In some ways it is quite different to the usual AGEOD game in that it is less scripted and diplomacy is very important. The diplomatic module is an upgraded version of that used in Pride of Nations. This allows for multiple wars and shifting alliances.

I played Austria quite a bit and its clear that you have strong interests in doing other things than just waring with France.

The weekly turns are a good fit to the type of operational moves you need to make.

The various national traits and competencies do a good job of differentiating the strengths and weaknesses of the different armies and the way that the Austrians, in particular, learnt from their defeats.

In a 7 player campaign, the scope for dodgy deals, back stabs and outright pursuit of self-interest is going to be a major feature.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 7
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 8:57:43 PM   
typhoon

She works late and stew goes well even at half nine she's home now so we have eaten and now I'm allowed to download and just about to use the purchase finger after that will be almost time for bed so first impressions from me might have to wait and as of yet we have not discussed whether I'm allowed the bonus present pre Christmas although I have a good feeling about that one. Less scripted is also a big positive to me as is any reference to Pride of Nations a much under rated game. Thinking also that Austria might be a good place to start to learn what to do.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 8
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 9:05:28 PM   
zakblood

any bread with the stew?
or dumplings?

anyway im off to bed now, so enjoy and let us know how you get on tomorrow

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 9
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 9:08:11 PM   
Suvorov928

I have only been able to spend a very short time with it, but so far I believe this may be AGEOD's best game yet. Beautiful map and counters, battle tactics, a nice sized map that can be used for maneuvering around, and many new features. Again, my time with the game was very short, but I think this is going to consume much of my time.

One problem though minor. The Prussian scenario can be beat way too easily as France. I beat it in three turns and a poster on the AGEOD forums beat it in two turns. This was due to way too much NM being won and lost in battles. Not sure if this will carry over to the campaign mode or not, as I have not ad a chance to play it, but this will most likely need to be patched.

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 10
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/3/2015 9:13:17 PM   
Grim.Reaper

so far sounding promising, except for winning the one scenario in 2-3 turns:)

(in reply to Suvorov928)
Post #: 11
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 6:48:46 AM   
kirk23

This game is a must have if you have an interest in Napoleonic Era.I'm very impressed with the game map and all the other graphics.

For anyone with a naval interest I'm sure will spot the occasional ship type error,I have highlighted one here,that I found while investigating the map,HMS Renown in this screenshot,is listed as a 98 Gun Ship of the Line (2nd Rate) she is in fact a 74 gun (3rd Rate).

History

Royal Navy

Name: HMS Renown

Ordered: 10 June 1795
Builder: Dudman, Deptford Wharf
Laid down: November 1796
Launched: 2 May 1798
Renamed: HMS Royal Oak, 1814

Honours and awards: Naval General Service Medal with clasp "Egypt"

Fate: Broken up, May 1835

Notes: Harbour service from 1814

General characteristics

Class & type: America-class ship of the line
74 Gun (3rd Rate)

Tons burthen: 1899 (bm)
Length: 182 ft (55 m) (gundeck)
Beam: 48 ft 7 1⁄2 in (14.8 m)
Depth of hold: 21 ft 7 in (6.58 m)
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship

Armament:
Gundeck: 28 × 32-pounder guns
Upper gundeck: 30 × 18-pounder guns
QD: 12 × 9-pounder guns
Fc: 4 × 9-pounder guns

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 12/4/2015 8:08:20 AM >

Make it so!

Post #: 12
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 8:04:45 AM   
Pocus

A note about winning against Prussia in 2 turns. We are not speaking of the grand campaign here!

AGEOD Team

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 13
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 9:17:47 AM   
Squid

I own the majority of aged titles and I think this one has the potential to be the best. I say potential because I'm still trying to get to grips with it. But that said I am loving what I am seeing. The game is beautiful and captures the era perfectly. The engine lends itself to napoleonic grand strategy perfectly. The campaigns are incredible in their scope. I truly believe this is the best operational napoleonic game ever made.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 14
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 9:35:21 AM   
ashandresash

It looks gorgeus attending what people is posting and reporting. Impressions seem very good so far.

Added to my buy list.

< Message edited by ashandresash -- 12/4/2015 10:36:08 AM >

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 15
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 10:44:15 AM   
typhoon

Just reading through the manual and messing around in a Grand Campaign will take some adjustments to learn but over all epic would be a good work I really think they might have pulled it off. Now for the cries of why can't I start in 1796 but then there is always room for an expansion. very pleased so far.

(in reply to ashandresash)
Post #: 16
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 10:57:17 AM   
goodwoodrw

Serious manual 130 + pages

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to typhoon)
Post #: 17
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 11:33:59 AM   
stewartbragg

Played a couple of turns as the Russians (seems like a good nation to start with). Will be using a lot of the decision cards and the political system in this. Moving and building are pretty much the same as Civil War II. When I started I was only thinking of the French but as I moved around the map and started looking at the Russian nation I began to see other options......Moldavia and the Ottomans. Now to figure out how to accomplish these goals

HOI3 & AACW2 Beta Tester

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 18
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 11:36:59 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: stewart.bragg

Played a couple of turns as the Russians (seems like a good nation to start with). Will be using a lot of the decision cards and the political system in this. Moving and building are pretty much the same as Civil War II. When I started I was only thinking of the French but as I moved around the map and started looking at the Russian nation I began to see other options......Moldavia and the Ottomans. Now to figure out how to accomplish these goals

yep, I think that was my initial surprise. I was expecting it to be formed around France vs the rest. As it is. 'the rest' have plenty of goals that have nothing to do with France.

Russia clearly gives you as much as interest in the Ottomans as in fighting France ...

(in reply to stewartbragg)
Post #: 19
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 12:59:20 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

just watched the twitch feed, try and watch it tomorrow when posted, looks really good, epic sized map, great use of colour with plenty of units on offer, the only thing for me is time with the biggest campaign, seem massive in scale, had what looked like half the world in it, so really epic in scale, so a big big game, looks fun though if you like or love the time period.

while your waiting have you watched all the video's posted?

Top: Wars of Napoleon reveals new Tutorial Videos!

Top: Video tutorial / play-through is live

then live twitch feed will be posted tomorrow on Utube as normal

Any idea what time twitch replay will be available today on YouTube? Would like to check that out before pulling the trigger.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 20
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 1:35:21 PM   
FroBodine

It is already available to watch on Twitch. Just go to Slitherine's Twitch page, and it should be right there.

You may have to click on a "previous videos" link or something like that. But, yesterday afternoon, it was right there on the main Slitherine Twitch page for me.

In fact, all their videos are always available right after the live feed if you go to Slitherine's Twitch page. You can get there by clicking on the link to the live feed, then there should be a link to Slitherine's page on there.

< Message edited by jglazier -- 12/4/2015 2:36:49 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 1:49:47 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Thanks...I am on mobile device today and when I go to find it , doesn't show it as being viewable yet

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 22
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 1:55:24 PM   
Pocus

Russia is a really nice country if you want a very very big 'scope' while doing something else than meddling with what France does

AGEOD Team

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 23
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 5:36:35 PM   
Ron

I would be particularly interested in comments on how the AI plays in this game. Thanks.

(in reply to Pocus)
Post #: 24
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/4/2015 7:36:28 PM   
Aurelian

I like the fact that you can send the units you build to an assembly area if you choose to.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 25
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/5/2015 1:50:17 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron
I would be particularly interested in comments on how the AI plays in this game. Thanks.

Also interested in AI comments, particularly how AI countries perform when allying with each other and fighting against each other. Also any feedback regarding how players can "guide" their AI allies as mentioned in the features list.

And a question. Any word about additional scenarios for 1809, 1812 and 1813 down the road? That would be good.

Game looks pretty good and I will probably get this one. Just curious to know some more about AI performance and additional scenarios.

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 26
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/5/2015 2:05:14 PM   
pvthudson01

It is still an Ageod game using that age old engine and the combat results....still unexplained as ever..I will never get that combat screen....in all the years I have played this engine

P.S. if you want a good overview of their games follow their TWITCH channel also watch the recap here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q794T7KrkrA

< Message edited by pvthudson01 -- 12/5/2015 3:21:26 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/6/2015 8:10:33 AM   
Speedysteve

Any further impressions on this now it's been out for a few days?

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 28
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/6/2015 2:11:46 PM   
kirk23

If there is anyone who has any interest in all things naval,then the game has a great many errors!

Here is HMS Caledonia in January 1805,what is strange about that I here you say,well I will tell you,she was not commissioned until September 1808,and yet here she is in the game, more than 3 years before she should be,her keel was only laid in January 1805.Also the game has her as 110 gun ship,when in fact she was one of the first built,that had 120 guns as standard design.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 12/6/2015 3:12:36 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 29
RE: Any early impressions? - 12/6/2015 4:58:10 PM   
demiller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squid

I own the majority of aged titles and I think this one has the potential to be the best. I say potential because I'm still trying to get to grips with it. But that said I am loving what I am seeing. The game is beautiful and captures the era perfectly. The engine lends itself to napoleonic grand strategy perfectly. The campaigns are incredible in their scope. I truly believe this is the best operational napoleonic game ever made.

Which is it, Grand Strategy or Operational? If it includes things like diplomacy and production, it doesn't look at all Operational to me.

AKA panzerde

(in reply to Squid)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Wars of Napoleon >> Any early impressions? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI